Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Timmah!

MLSnet's picks of the week

The entire article can be found here: http://web.mlsnet.com/news/mls_news.jsp?ym...s&fext=.jsp

This week's Top XI for points:

Goalkeeper: William Hesmer (CLB). With two games this week, Hesmer has a good chance of accumulating multiple points. This week's games are against Real Salt Lake, who were shutout by the expansion Seattle team last week, and Chivas USA. If not for a fluke own goal last week, he would have had a shutout last week.

Hesmer's treated me well in the past, so I like this pick....he's in my lineup, for sure.

Defender: Chad Marshall (CLB). The 2008 MLS Defender of the Year had a very good game against Toronto last week, shutting down their top offensive forces. Playing two games this week should allow Marshall to gain more chances for goals and clean sheets this week.

Defender: Michael Harrington (KC). The 23-year-old University of North Carolina product has a home game this week against a San Jose team that had a hard time scoring away from home last season.

Defender: Chris Klein (LA). Playing as a right midfielder this season, the 11-year MLS veteran should get many opportunities to rack up points for you this season from the MLS Fantasy Challenge defender slot.

Harrington's another favorite who, along with Frankie Hejduk was locked into the lineup from day 1.

Midfielder: Javier Morales (RSL). The 29-year-old Argentinean was a serious candidate for the MVP trophy last season. Look for him to get on track this week with a home game against the Columbus Crew.

Midfielder: Dwayne De Rosario (TOR). Coming home to Toronto in the offseason from Houston should re-invigorate DeRo. With a home game against the expansion Seattle club, look for him to add to his 51 career goals.

Midfielder: Brad Davis (HOU). With D.C.'s defense in disarray due to injuries, look for Davis to take advantage of this and rack up some points off of goals and assists.

Midfielder: Shalrie Joseph (NE). The 2-time All-Big East selection while at St. John's is a steady influence for the Revolution. Playing a home game this week against FC Dallas should allow Joseph to pick up points for your team.

DeRosario is my captain, so hopefully he can solve Kasey Keller and get a Goal. You can get away with your captain having a quiet day in the English games, but it doesn't quite work that way here.

Forward: Landon Donovan (LA). The U.S. international leader in career goals scored has already started out well this season in MLS with two goals. Look for him to add to these totals this week with a home game at The Home Depot Center against the Rapids.

Forward: Guillermo Barros Schelotto (CLB). The 35-year-old Argentinean is off to a great start this season, with two goals to his credit. Look for him to connect a few times this week as he leads the Crew in two games this week.

Forward: Brian McBride (CHI). The former Fulham player will be playing for the Fire the entire season this year. Look for him to add to his 68 career MLS goals with a home game this week against the New York Red Bulls at Toyota Park.

Coach: Robert Warzycha (CLB). Has started the season with two ties. He has two opportunities this week to break into the win column with games against Real Salt Lake and Chivas USA.

We used a 3-4-3 because last week the highest points were scored by the midfielders and forwards. We believe that trend will continue.

As I've said in the discussions about the Premier League game, I'm a big fan of the 3-4-3, myself. It's easily the most aggressive of the formations, while doing a good job in taking advantage of the consistency you can get out of the midfield.

I'm interested to see how McBride's full-time return to MLS goes. He did a nice job for Fulham, and was as reliable as they get. He's not on my team, and I couldn't afford to bring him in if I wanted him - unless I sell Brian Ching, which I'm not going to do - but it would be nice to see him play well enough to make it worth thinking about.