Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PepperPot

Which Three...

I'm in an AL-Only Keeper league...long story short my team died and I decided to start building for next year. Between the reserve draft this season and some trades that I made I have a good amount of prospects. With our league you can use three "call-backs" next season as a part of your reserve draft. This is meant for minor leaguers that won't start the year on an opening day roster.

Position Players:

Botts

Brignac (He would be one)

Ellsbury (Hope he starts on the OD Roster for Boston in '08)

Longoria (Same as Ellsbury, but for TB)

Wood (Right now he would be my second choice, though I need to see something in AAA before the year is out)

Pitchers:

Adenhart (If I gave up on Wood, I would chose him)

Buchholz (He's definitely one)

Hochevar

Lofgren

Garret Olson

Adam Miller (Same as Longoria & Ellsbury)

So as of right now I would pick Brignac, Wood, and Buchholz.

Any other opinions? Obviously I'm exploring trades for some of these other guys since I can't hold on to them, I would just have to throw them back into the mix for the reserve draft for next year. But Brignac has too much upside and figures to factor in well at SS. You all know about Wood, and I used him as my only call back this season after I got him in a trade last year...probably don't want to give up on him yet. And Buchholz, he's one of the top pitching prospects.

Let me know what you guys think.

Thanks for your time

Do you need to decide now? The only reason is because there are 6 studs on that list, with 1 of those guys having struggles but huge upside, and they are:

Brignac

Longoria

Buchholz

Miller

Wood (the struggling one)

Ellsbury (the lowest ceiling, but the best opportunity)

The reason why I ask is that I'm fairly certain Miller will get the call this year - could he then move to your active roster? That would solve one of your problems.

As I see it, the 3 guys with *most* upside & immediate star potential is Buchholz, Brignac & Longoria. Wood would just *barely* edge out Longoria in pure upside (and going into the season, would have been the consensus #1 out of that group), but his K's make his star potential (by struggling when big league guys tempt him with junk) much less than Longoria. Another half-season in AAA for Wood would help me figure out who I'd pick, because as you mentioned, I'd hate to give up on him too when he's shown so much up until this past season - hard to figure if this a 2-month blip, or a trend.

Can you keep Adam Miller as well if he's called up? Then you'd have the *best* AL SP prospect for this year, the best long-term SP prospect on a great team, a SS prospect and the best bat overall. Seems like a winner to me.

Sucks that you can only keep 3, kinda takes away the reward of picking up all that talent.

(And yes, I'm an AL-only guy first & foremost, so I totally get your dilemna).

Do you need to decide now? The only reason is because there are 6 studs on that list, with 1 of those guys having struggles but huge upside, and they are:

Brignac

Longoria

Buchholz

Miller

Wood (the struggling one)

Ellsbury (the lowest ceiling, but the best opportunity)

The reason why I ask is that I'm fairly certain Miller will get the call this year - could he then move to your active roster? That would solve one of your problems.

As I see it, the 3 guys with *most* upside & immediate star potential is Buchholz, Brignac & Longoria. Wood would just *barely* edge out Longoria in pure upside (and going into the season, would have been the consensus #1 out of that group), but his K's make his star potential (by struggling when big league guys tempt him with junk) much less than Longoria. Another half-season in AAA for Wood would help me figure out who I'd pick, because as you mentioned, I'd hate to give up on him too when he's shown so much up until this past season - hard to figure if this a 2-month blip, or a trend.

Can you keep Adam Miller as well if he's called up? Then you'd have the *best* AL SP prospect for this year, the best long-term SP prospect on a great team, a SS prospect and the best bat overall. Seems like a winner to me.

Sucks that you can only keep 3, kinda takes away the reward of picking up all that talent.

(And yes, I'm an AL-only guy first & foremost, so I totally get your dilemna).

I don't have to decide now, I'm just looking for some opinions, insight, what have you. The main reason though is I may try to upgrade for some good cheap major league ready players and might have to include some in the deal. And if I don't plan on using them as one of my three call-backs or being able to plug them into my active roster, then I might as well try.

The reason I wrote that little blurb about Miller, Longoria, & Ellsbury is because if they come up this year or stay for spring training of next year (as long as it's before our draft) then I can plug them into my active roster. So basically I'm already counting on Miller being in the Indians rotation for next year at the latest. And if the D-Rays finally do something with Dukes and Wigginton, then with a move to the OF for Upton...I would see them calling up Longoria to play 3rd or 2nd depending on Iwamaura(I know I spelled that wrong, apologies) was playing. So I'm not really factoring him in to being on that list either.

I know Wood has a high ceiling, and I'm still pretty high on the guy, considering that I used my only call-back this season on him...though in reality I should have used two and kept Billy Butler as well. If anything I wouldn't simply just throw Wood back, I would try to deal him at some point before the draft...only thing is only about half the teams in the league truly care about prospects, so dealing him would be somewhat limited. Like I said, right now he's one of the three I would keep at this point in time.

I mean in all honesty...of course this is if Longoria, Ellsbury, & Miller don't qualify as callbacks, the real decision is between Brignac, Wood, Buchholz, and Adenhart. And obviously I can't throw Buchholz back after how dominate he's been so far this year. So that would really just leave it to Brignac, Wood, and Adenhart.

Now I'm not sure where he exactly sits on the Angels depth chart (I do know he's still in AA, but he will probably see AAA at some point this year), but chances are they will say goodbye to Bartolo at the end of the year since he's a free agent which would probably open up a spot for Saunders if anything, but besides that who else is there? I know they have Moseley too, but from what I've heard he doesn't really project as a long term starter, more of a spot starter/long relief kind of guy. So if that's true then Adenhart would be a pretty good keep for next year if he was first in line. Obviously I might be a little too high on the guy, but everywhere I read says he's one of the top five pitching prospects still in the minors, though that was probably based on just AL teams.

Obviously there's still months left to go before this all pans out and I actually have to buckle down and make a hard-fastened decision. But I'm just trying to look ahead and see what possible deals will work out for me. Plus I just like talking about prospects, I'm a prospect hound just like yourself.

Assuming Longoria and Wood qualify as call backs I would rather have Longoria. Wood is very overrated in my opinion, and he seems destined to be a low average power hitter in the form of a Richie Sexson. Not that Sexson is bad, he is what he is and what he is is 250/30/100 which is pretty good, but I would rather keep a guy who has power with a little speed and a lot more average. Buccholz is a no brainer at this point, and he seems a lock to qualify as a call back. I would think a long time about keeping Ellsbury. I know he doesn't have the same upside but there should be something said for being productive in the minor leagues. For example, Hunter Pence was a low ceiling very productive minor leaguer, and he is fulfilling his promise in the big leagues. I think if a kid has shown he can play at every step in the minors sometimes it is a good thing to assume he can play in the big leagues. Just something to think about.

Well I believes it's only because they don't want teams to have an unfair advantage in the reserve draft portion. I don't necessarily mind the rule that much just because if I kept all those guys with call-backs then I would miss the first six rounds of reserves...which usually means losing out on those platoon players that somehow break through, and set-up men that become closers when someone goes down, etc. Not to mention the big prospects that emerged the previous year. Last year was my first year in this league and they took advantage of me when I was prospect hunting. I ended up with Wood, Fields, Lind, Butler, Botts, and a few others. I only ended up keeping Wood out of the group because I didn't want to lose out on getting Longoria or Brignac. Funny how I ended up getting both in the draft.

When I did the reserve draft the first year...it was my first year playing with minor leaguers factored in, I picked Greinke...seriously don't ask. But the only prospect that I drafted last year that worked out at all was Adam Loewen, but that was homer pick anyway.

So as the year went on I got more and more accustomed to prospects and such, and so when I drafted this year...I drafted WAY too many. I only acquired three prospects through trades (Miller, Ellsbury, & Adenhart)

So with ALL that being said I think three is fine as long as they are studs, that way I can help balance out my team with some depth, which if I would have had this year I might have not gone the fire-sale route.

Assuming Longoria and Wood qualify as call backs I would rather have Longoria. Wood is very overrated in my opinion, and he seems destined to be a low average power hitter in the form of a Richie Sexson. Not that Sexson is bad, he is what he is and what he is is 250/30/100 which is pretty good, but I would rather keep a guy who has power with a little speed and a lot more average. Buccholz is a no brainer at this point, and he seems a lock to qualify as a call back. I would think a long time about keeping Ellsbury. I know he doesn't have the same upside but there should be something said for being productive in the minor leagues. For example, Hunter Pence was a low ceiling very productive minor leaguer, and he is fulfilling his promise in the big leagues. I think if a kid has shown he can play at every step in the minors sometimes it is a good thing to assume he can play in the big leagues. Just something to think about.

My hope is that Ellsbury ends up with a role in Boston's outfield before the '08 season starts, and if he does I'll definitely put him on my active roster instead of using him as a call-back. I hope the same thing for Longoria, but of course there's always the outside chance that both start the '08 season in the minors, which would just suck for me, haha.

Well, now that you laid it out, I agree Ellsbury & Adam Miller are near-sure bets to make the 2008 roster, which would help you out. Hopefully, Longoria does go to 3B, Iwamura to 2B & Upton to CF (but the Rays are unpredictable, and Baldelli being out 4-6 more weeks might really kill his trade value). IF that happens, then I'd still keep Wood. Adenhart is a great prospect, but right now he has as many struggles as Wood, so I take the offensive player if the potential works itself out.

IF you could keep Ellsbury, Miller & Longoria on your regular roster, then keeping Wood, Brignac & Buchholz is a no-brainer IMO. Adenhart's a very good prospect, but behind those 3 IMO.

One way to solve the problem is to see about trading Wood as part of an upgrade for this year, and keeping Adenhart, or vice-versa. Seems like a natural way to solve your dilemna - get value now, and no waste of talent by throwing them back later for nothing.

Still, you have time, and no need to explain - we all love talking prospects, that's why we're posting in this section. B)