Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

eddo

Kevin Martin

This kid is unbelieveable. Third year in the league and he's playing like a star. His numbers are very similar to that of Redd, and i think its only a matter of time before he surpasses those numbers...

Call me crazy, but i just traded Redd for this kid.

You're crazy.

He does have the worst shooting form ever. Wound not have traded Redd for him.

the kid has crazy upside....

i drafted him in my 11th round and then traded him for bosh while bosh was on the IL... i figured i better cash in on martin while artest and them were injured.... but he's still doing awesome anyway

i think u coulda got him for less, but it really just depends on how high the owner is on martin

since I live in LA, I go to the Summer Pro League in Long Beach every year, and you get to see a bunch of established players as well as rookies, and some guys who are trying to make the team.

I remember watching Kevin Martin play in the summer league when he was a rookie, after he had just been drafted. a lot of people didn't really know who he was (including me), and he didn't even start for the SAC summer league team. but whenever he was on the court, he opened a lot of people's eyes, and many times he was easily the best player on the floor. after watching him there for the first time, I'm not surprised at all that he's finally getting recognition for the player that he is.

Martin is going to be an excellent fantasy player for years to come. He can clearly score, and although his peripheral numbers don't look that great at first glance, his steals and percentages give him excellent value. He's likely to just keep getting better and is a great keeper.

Nah, its not a keeper league, so yea i might have been somewhat crazy when i made the trade. But honestly, his shooting percentage for a shooting guard is just so attractive to me. Redd is great, but the bucks aint going nowhere, and sac town while a long shot, still has a chance to get in playoff. Therefore, i thought K-Mart might have more value than Redd down the stretch, especially if Artest is going to start missing games here and there again. I think Redd might get shut down for the last 5 games or so of the season, if bucks isnt anywhere close to contention. NO, i dont have any insider info on this, its just my gut feeling. B)

Right now, he's blowing by guys off dribbles or cuts with shear speed and quickness. If he really wants to be the all star in this league, he's still gotta work on his ball handling more and maybe get a better set pull up jump shot. Although his shots are falling right now, say he loses his speed (due to age and injuries)...opponents will play closed up on him and i can't imagine him shooting over with that kind of form..

I think he'd be about Rip Hamilton's caliber for years to come...

You traded Redd for him?!?!?!

Because you think he might put up numbers as good as redd's at some point in the future (which is HIGHLY unlikely) and will never happen this season.

I would call that a very bad move.

I think clutch's analogy is probably far more accurate. Remember, Redd is the best player on his team. Martin may not even be the second best player on his team.

Yea, i guess it was a bad move considering Redd is more established, but sometimes when u like someone's game so much, it gets in the way of logical thinking. OH well, I still like martin.

I'm growing tired of the "his team has a chance at a playoff spot so he's better than someone out of contention" argument.

Unless the player has a semi-serious injury that could lead to an end-of-season shutdown, I think the "playoff push" theory is wildly overrated. Bad teams do not just sit their stars at the end of the year. A more accurate perception would be that mid-level veterans on bad teams might have less minutes at the end of the year as teams "try out the youngsters."

As a rabid Kings fan ( I watch every game ), I can tell you that K-Mart is over-rated in the fantasy world, but under-rated in the real world. Martin does indeed have great percentages, but his point totals fluctuate greatly. Most of his points come off of Brad Miller's passing skills off of backdoor cuts, or wide open threes thanks to Artest. K-Mart is great for a second or third guard, but when you try to replace someone like Redd with him straight up that's just crazy. Martin might have better numbers than Redd next year, but that is only because of Redd's recent injuries. You better pray that Artest goes down or Bibby falls out of Musselman's favor, but both are unlikely.

As a rabid Kings fan ( I watch every game ), I can tell you that K-Mart is over-rated in the fantasy world, but under-rated in the real world. Martin does indeed have great percentages, but his point totals fluctuate greatly. Most of his points come off of Brad Miller's passing skills off of backdoor cuts, or wide open threes thanks to Artest. K-Mart is great for a second or third guard, but when you try to replace someone like Redd with him straight up that's just crazy. Martin might have better numbers than Redd next year, but that is only because of Redd's recent injuries. You better pray that Artest goes down or Bibby falls out of Musselman's favor, but both are unlikely.

I'm sorry Savior, as I disagreed with you on another thread....but i gotta disagree w/ most of your points again

- K-mart is over-rated in the fantasy world...then u mention the way he scores is off other people...how does this matter in fantasy world? As long as he scores it's all good in fantasy land.

- Fluctuate in point totals? Check his logs. He had only THREE games in which he failed to score doulbe digits this season. He's obviously not the top 20 guy, but isn't this not consistent enough for you?

- Artest going down...how many times was he out w/ injuries or other issues this year? he just missed last two out of four games with sore knee and personal issues.

No doubt almost everyone will agree Redd for Kmartin was too much...but i don't understand why people lable this guy as "overrated" player. 50% FG out of a guard spot, especially when he shoots like 14 a game is irresistable IMO. Only other two guys in league - Nash and Parker do that. His fg% this season by month - 53%, 47%, 49%, 50%...those who thought it was gonna drop turned out to be wrong. Other stats - #18 in points, #25 in steals, #18 in 3PM, along with respectable ft% and ok rebounding.....i think i've made enough points here

No doubt almost everyone will agree Redd for Kmartin was too much...but i don't understand why people lable this guy as "overrated" player. 50% FG out of a guard spot, especially when he shoots like 14 a game is irresistable IMO. Only other two guys in league - Nash and Parker do that. His fg% this season by month - 53%, 47%, 49%, 50%...those who thought it was gonna drop turned out to be wrong. Other stats - #18 in points, #25 in steals, #18 in 3PM, along with respectable ft% and ok rebounding.....i think i've made enough points here

A little too much in a non-keeper league. But Martin is the most improved player in the league & a adding him to my roster ASAP was the best move I made all season.

If anything, this guy is UNDER-rated in the fanatasy world. His #s are that of a top 50 player (mostly due to great %s), but no one will trade another top 50 player for him. He's too much of an "unknown", and the fact that he was drafted in the last rounds makes dealing for him tricky (Most won't deal a 3rd rounder for him, unless it's AK or Diaw...). Okay, we all know him from last year's somewhat breakout season when he got to start, but no one is even targeting him in an effort to improve %s. That's under-rated to me.

If anything, this guy is UNDER-rated in the fanatasy world. His #s are that of a top 50 player (mostly due to great %s), but no one will trade another top 50 player for him. He's too much of an "unknown", and the fact that he was drafted in the last rounds makes dealing for him tricky (Most won't deal a 3rd rounder for him, unless it's AK or Diaw...). Okay, we all know him from last year's somewhat breakout season when he got to start, but no one is even targeting him in an effort to improve %s. That's under-rated to me.

Agreed.

Call me crazy, but i just traded Redd for this kid.

Please let me join your league next year!

I use a site to analyze basketball players' average stats & it ranks players based on those averages. I won't name it since I'm not here to push it. Anyway, you can customize it to analyze everything specific to your league & customize it to analyze your specific roster. I've got it set to a standard Yahoo basketball roto league. No opinions are involved - only math. Kevin Martin is ranked at 15 overall & Redd is ranked 18.

well I know that site and while it's a factor to judge players mathematically, it's not a really good gauge on player value especially a big name like Redd

Kevin Martin could be like him in a year or two, but it was really a reach when you trade redd for him

Well Redd is a lil over-rated I guess. But I have Redd and I wouldn't trade him for Martin either, no way. Just having someone with the potential to breakout and have a 40+ pt performance EVERY night is fun. Not to mention tons of 3s sometimes.

And those sites ranking the players... while they make a good reference when you are analyzing players, it sometimes under/over-rates too. Nash is probably by far the best player on those sites, but no one will trade the likes of Arenas and Garnet for him. While Lebron is probably ranked under 30 or something... but he's still a top 10 player in terms of trade value.

Anyway, watch for Martin to go in the 4th or 5th rounds next year.

Speaking of Redd, what a game he's having! 36 pts and 6 3s, and in the third quarter against one of the best defensive team! Someone's on fire!!

Speaking of Redd, what a game he's having! 36 pts and 6 3s, and in the third quarter against one of the best defensive team! Someone's on fire!!

Yes, i am feeling the burn right about now. lol, oh well, martin got 30 something last night, i am content B)