Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

wps1931

What is the first concert you ever saw?

First: Quiet Riot, openers were Twisted Sister and Kick Axe!

TS kicked A**!!

Best concert: sorry rockers.........Garth Brooks is by far the best show I`ve ever seen!

The first EVER? OMG ... believe it or not, Run-DMC & the opening act was L.L. Cool J. I don't even like rap all that much nowadays, but at the time I appreciated how Run-DMC rapped over some rock-type beats, such as the Aerosmith cover. First rock concert was Iron Maiden!

The best? When I lived in Cali, I saw the Rolling Stones performing at Rose Bowl on their Steel Wheels tour. The opening acts were Living Color AND Guns N' Roses, original lineup. And later that same year I was on vacation in Italy & saw the Stones again in Milan!

Dave Matthews Band back in high school i think was it high school? not really sure..anyways...Dave Matthews Band or LIVE one of those two

I have not gone to one yet but come August 24, 2007. I will have gone to one...Projekt Revolution at the Tweeter Center in Mass. I will be goin to a 14 hour, 10-15 band concert that features Linkin Park, Mindless Self Indulgence, Taking Back Sunday, My Chemical Romance and HIM just to name a few...It is going to be a blasty blast!!!

First: Loverboy, Montreal CA 1984. Beat that for pathetic

Best: everclear before they hit big in Tempe, AZ with about 70 people there

So...How badly (or is that well) can I date myself? Here goes:

It was Sacramento, the old Fair Grounds, I think it was '67 or '68.

I was either 5, 6 or 7.

It was "The Monkees".

I was with my "cousins" (actually the sons and daughter of my father's best friend) the Merolas. The Merolas would turn me onto a lot of music and ...other things. The Merola Brothers were the rock band that inspired me to become a musician, albeit one that pulled way hotter chicks.

You know how sometimes in your life you might recall a dream from your youth that was so intense or remarkable you believed that it actually happened? Well this is that phenomenon inverted. I hadn't given much thought to the memory since I had long dismissed it as false. But it turns out, after one of the "boys" brought it up about 6 years ago, I realized it had actually happened...

So I obviously was young. Around this same age I had gotten to go backstage at the Roller Derby filming because my mother was the late Roller Derby Queen Joanie Weston's college roommate. I felt fairly entitled.

So I wandered with my older male cousins around the tent that was to the rear of the stage. My cousins didn't quite believe I was actually going to crash the scenes; being several years older than me they had a greater appreciation of boundaries- tho, they sort of lost that compass as they grew older.

I found a loose flap in the tent side and lifted that sucker up, and they followed, lest they get in trouble for allowing me to get into trouble by myself. There were the Monkees, casually slouched around. Peter Tork and Michael Nesmith were smoking cigarettes. In spite of the fact that my own father smoked, I looked Nesmith right in the eye, armed with the latest Surgeon General admonishment:

"You shouldn't smoke, smoking will kill you".

The concert itself I only remember as being noisy, poorly mixed with the music drowned out by crowd noise, at least from where I was standing.

********************************************************************************

Too many great shows to choose a favorite: The Who, Paul McCartney, Eagles, Aerosmith.

But shows I remember fondly are:

Iggy Pop opening for the Pretenders on the latter's "Learning to Crawl" tour, Chrissie Hynde stopping after the first tune to "...get down on my knees and kiss the stage where Iggy Pop performed". I mean, damn.

Jeff Beck and Stevie Ray Vaughn.

Emerson Lake and Palmer.

Tool - One Sacramento Memorial Auditorium show in particular. Did their cover of "No Quarter" with altered lyrics.

Soundgarden -Again, the above venue, just months before they broke up. Of all the times Kat and I saw SG this was the absolute best. Funny, all things considered.

Chris Cornell - Sac Community Center. "Euphoria Morning" tour. He hadn't sold out yet. Great seats, he was in good voice.

J Geils Band - San Francisco. It was the "Freeze Frame" tour. Always liked their blues rock, didn't care so much for that pop cheese. But they had this little band from Ireland opening for them, making their first tour of America...

...a band called U2.

Of those special shows, for reasons I will not explain, the SG gig would have to top the list.

"Hands All Over..."

So...How badly (or is that well) can I date myself? Here goes:

It was Sacramento, the old Fair Grounds, I think it was '67 or '68.

I was either 5, 6 or 7.

It was "The Monkees".

I was with my "cousins" (actually the sons and daughter of my father's best friend) the Merolas. The Merolas would turn me onto a lot of music and ...other things. The Merola Brothers were the rock band that inspired me to become a musician, albeit one that pulled way hotter chicks.

You know how sometimes in your life you might recall a dream from your youth that was so intense or remarkable you believed that it actually happened? Well this is that phenomenon inverted. I hadn't given much thought to the memory since I had long dismissed it as false. But it turns out, after one of the "boys" brought it up about 6 years ago, I realized it had actually happened...

So I obviously was young. Around this same age I had gotten to go backstage at the Roller Derby filming because my mother was the late Roller Derby Queen Joanie Weston's college roommate. I felt fairly entitled.

So I wandered with my older male cousins around the tent that was to the rear of the stage. My cousins didn't quite believe I was actually going to crash the scenes; being several years older than me they had a greater appreciation of boundaries- tho, they sort of lost that compass as they grew older.

I found a loose flap in the tent side and lifted that sucker up, and they followed, lest they get in trouble for allowing me to get into trouble by myself. There were the Monkees, casually slouched around. Peter Tork and Michael Nesmith were smoking cigarettes. In spite of the fact that my own father smoked, I looked Nesmith right in the eye, armed with the latest Surgeon General admonishment:

"You shouldn't smoke, smoking will kill you".

The concert itself I only remember as being noisy, poorly mixed with the music drowned out by crowd noise, at least from where I was standing.

********************************************************************************

Too many great shows to choose a favorite: The Who, Paul McCartney, Eagles, Aerosmith.

But shows I remember fondly are:

Iggy Pop opening for the Pretenders on the latter's "Learning to Crawl" tour, Chrissie Hynde stopping after the first tune to "...get down on my knees and kiss the stage where Iggy Pop performed". I mean, damn.

Jeff Beck and Stevie Ray Vaughn.

Emerson Lake and Palmer.

Tool - One Sacramento Memorial Auditorium show in particular. Did their cover of "No Quarter" with altered lyrics.

Soundgarden -Again, the above venue, just months before they broke up. Of all the times Kat and I saw SG this was the absolute best. Funny, all things considered.

Chris Cornell - Sac Community Center. "Euphoria Morning" tour. He hadn't sold out yet. Great seats, he was in good voice.

J Geils Band - San Francisco. It was the "Freeze Frame" tour. Always liked their blues rock, didn't care so much for that pop cheese. But they had this little band from Ireland opening for them, making their first tour of America...

...a band called U2.

Of those special shows, for reasons I will not explain, the SG gig would have to top the list.

"Hands All Over..."

good stuff dude. wow, U2 opening for j geils, that is classic. from "angel is a centerfold" to "sunday bloody sunday" all in one night. awesome

my first was George Thorogood & the Destroyers at the Spectrum in '91. the Hooters were the opener.

probably the best was Phish's Midnight Show in the Florida Everglades on New Year's '99. the set began at 11:55, and they played until daybreak. Dick Clark even cut in. we sat in 15.5 hours of traffic on Alligator Alley to get in.

other memorable ones were Billy Joel, the Beta Band, and Tenacious D, but for wildy different reasons. Ween always puts on a good show.