Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

rotoking07

Garnett Traded to BOS

I was watching ESPN today, and they were talking as if Phoenix has pretty much let it be known that they are willing to part with Marion in a three team deal if it would land Garnett in PHX. As far as the Boston trade, here it is, from Rotoworld:

Kevin Garnett essentially vetoed the proposed trade from Minnesota to Boston by saying he didn\'t want to play for the Celtics.

Boston wasn't about to give up Al Jefferson, the fifth pick in the draft, Wally Szczerbiak and more for one year of Garnett. "The Boston trade isn't happening," Garnett's agent, Andy Miller, told ESPN.com's Chris Sheridan. "If a trade were to happen, that's not a destination that we're interested in pursuing." Garnett wants to go to Phoenix if he has to leave Minnesota. If those talks open up, the Wolves would likely ask from Amare Stoudemire and the 2008 first-round pick that had belonged to Atlanta in return for Garnett. Jun. 21 - 9:16 pm et

And I think the first round pick is unrestricted (from Atlanta) so could be a top lottery pick.

I know Garnett is Garnett and all but the Suns gel well together as it is...so I say no way unless there's something we don't know about. Ie. a feud between Marion and Amare. I personally think Marion's days are numbered anyway but if the trade means that Marion stays then pulling the trigger may be the way to go.

hmmm, I guess I should have read your post Rotoking before posting mine. Garnett and Amare on the same team would be sick...still it's hard to imagine they could get better than the way it is now.

I don't see the Suns parting with Stoudemire. I would actually like the Wolves side of the deal if they could get Stoudemire plus a first round pick. The problem with the Marion deal is that he has said that he would not sign a contract with MIN or BOS if he were to be dealt there, which will likely prevent either team from wanting him for a year.

The BOS deal may not be as dead as thought (Rotoworld)-

The Celtics may not be sold on the idea that Kevin Garnett would opt out next year if he was traded to the Celtics, saying they're not even sure his agent, Andy Miller, spoke to the superstar before saying a potential deal was dead.

"I’m willing to bet he hasn’t even talked to (Garnett) and that he’s just trying to posture something so it doesn’t happen," a Celtics source said yesterday. "In fact, I’m pretty sure of it. So I don’t put much stock in what he said." Garnett will earn an NBA-high $22 million next season. If dealt, he would collect another $3 million via a 15 percent trade kicker. "Do you really think he is going to pass up the $23 million he would make the next year (in 2008-09) to go somewhere else?" the official said. "He would have to drop back to the league maximum wherever he went. I don’t think he’s going to forfeit $10 million that easily." The deal, said to include Al Jefferson and the No. 5 pick in Thursday's draft, would give the Timberwolves two of the top seven picks in the draft. Stay tuned. Jun. 23 - 2:11 am et

I actually think that Garnett should want this trade with Boston. If he goes and teams with Pierce, and they keep Rondo and some other pieces around them, you have to think that team could go to the Finals in the East. At that point, anything could happen, right? At least it's a shot for him. The PHX deal, if they really are asking for Amare, is not going to happen. There's no way they'd trade Amare for KG, given how old KG is...

Having said all that, I don't think the Boston deal is going to happen. Boston is giving up too much, and it's not Jefferson that I'm talking about. That #5 pick is really valuable given this year's draft class. For 1 or 2 years of KG, it just seems like too much to me.... and should to them as well.

I wanted to remark about the assertions in this blurb you posted from Rotoworld. Whoever is quoted there is not representing the real situation. By opting out of that last year of his deal, he'd be dropping back in his money earned for 08-09 - BUT, he'd be signing a new longer-termed deal that would have a balloon payment of it's own down the line. So just looking at that one year is so myopic. He'd be forgoing one year of big money to get another long term deal with a team that he actually wanted to play for (if I've got this all correct in my mind). I still think KG could quite likely do that no matter where he's playing next year.

That would be a horrible idea for the celtics to give up Al Jefferson. I know Ainge is desperate, but Big Al and Pierce must stay if they want this team to be a contender. Al Jefferson is quickly climbing the ladder to the elite power forward/big man status. Last year was basically his rookie season (his real rookie season he was hurt the entire time) and he was outstanding. He was averaging a double-double after the first month of the season when he didn't get much playing time. He went from a rookie bench player to the teams best player in basically one month. I don't think I've ever seen a big man with such great ball handling ability and jump shot. His shooting percentage was ridiculous and although he didn't take one three, he didn't always just take easy layups. He was money from any distance inside the arch, especially towards the end of the year.

If the celtics could work out a deal that would land either Marion or Garnett in Boston without giving up Jefferson or Pierce, we'd likely see one of the best teams in the league...

Also, I think Gerald Green could very well start to live up to his potential. He's got some of the best tools in the nba, he just hasn't learned how to use them yet.

I love KG and all but why would anyone give up future pieces for one year? I know I wouldn't want my Bulls to give up any of their young and hopeful future studs. If a team wants him that bad they'd be much better in my opinion of just throwing a ton of money at him next off season.

speculating but i think this deal has merit- supposedly boston is the team unwilling to part with their draft pick to only get o'neal....i have to believe these teams can get boston someone to make the deal happen

Uhhh... Give up 2 1st round picks, Gerald Green, Ratlif and Telfair for Jermaine O'neal? No way Boston lets that one happen. They should be the ones landing Garnett.

On second thought, that would make the Celtics a contender.

C Jermaine O'Neil backup Perkins

F Al Jefferson backup Wally/Leon Poe

F Ryan Gomes backup Wally/Leon Poe

G Paul Pierce backup Delonte West

G Tony Allen backup Rondo/Delonte West

On second thought, that would make the Celtics a contender.

C Jermaine O'Neil backup Perkins

F Al Jefferson backup Wally/Leon Poe

F Ryan Gomes backup Wally/Leon Poe

G Paul Pierce backup Delonte West

G Tony Allen backup Rondo/Delonte West

Haha, no way Tony Allen starts at the point. He'd be the reserve shooter behind Pierce; I think Rondo deserves a long look as the starter at the one, but he and Delonte will likely share minutes there.

Haha, no way Tony Allen starts at the point. He'd be the reserve shooter behind Pierce; I think Rondo deserves a long look as the starter at the one, but he and Delonte will likely share minutes there.

Tony Allen and Al Jefferson were the whole team before Allen went down with that knee injury.

Well, maybe i'm just wrong, but i don't understand how Minnesota would trade Garnett for a #5 draft pick, Gerald Green, the expiring contract of Theo Ratliff and a bad behaviour player like Sebastian Telfair, who has already got more than his fair share of chances to start in the NBA.

I understand they can get an interesting young player with the pick to add to a young core of Foye and Green, but this leaves them far away from play off range in the west.

Also, you could argue about the money they will have the very next year with Ratliff's expiring contract, but ... Garnett is supposed to opt out, too, isn't he? So they would have even more money if they don't do the trade.

I mean, it would be deceiving to me if i was a Timberwolves fan (which i'm not) if they traded Garnett basically for Green and a #5 pick.

But i'm probably wrong.

This is the deal I saw, from ESPN: Trade discussions initially involved the Lakers, Wolves, Pacers and a fourth team, and sources told ESPN that that team was the Celtics. They would have gotten Jermaine O'Neal from the Pacers and sent young players (Al Jefferson and 5th pick) to the Wolves. The Lakers would have gotten Garnett, while the Pacers would have landed Los Angeles forward Lamar Odom and center Andrew Bynum. Minnesota would also have acquired at least one of the teams' draft picks, possibly Boston's No. 5 in Thursday's draft.

Apparently, it's hit a snag, as someone in Boston has finally realized that a Al Jefferson/5th pick for O'Neal move is not all that beneficial to the team. Rotoworld:

The deal the L.A. Times initially reported on Monday that would send Kevin Garnett to the Lakers in a four-team deal has apparently broken down, but is not dead.

The original deal included the Celtics and Pacers, who were to send Jermaine O'Neal to Boston for the No. 5 pick and more, and the deal has apparently broken down because Boston is not happy with their end. However, the Wolves and Lakers are continuing discussions, even though just their two teams are still involved. McHale and the Wolves don't want to take on additional older players at this point, and aren't thrilled at the prospect of gaining Lamar Odom in a possible deal. However, Andrew Bynum appears to fit the Minnesota mold. The two teams will likely continue discussions as the Lakers try their best to make Kobe Bryant happy, but this deal appears to be more dead than alive. Jun. 25 - 8:07 pm et

Source: Los Angeles Times

From all the deals I have heard, the Celtics are getting completely hosed, Pacers are making out like Bandits, Lakers are getting a solid deal as well as the Wolves but they'll find a way to mess it up. The Celtics would be crazy to give up Al and a #5 for anything less than Bynum and Odom, but everything I hear has them getting O'neal, they need to back down before they get burned and Ainge loses his job.

I agree. When I first saw the trade, I was wondering just what in the hell BOS was thinking. Apparently, someone else in BOS realized the same thing.

Man, Boston needs to pick a path. Are they rebuilding or going for a championship? It's never clear... Given their roster mess, rebuilding seems like the right decision. However, I think the weak state of the East has them thinking they can flip flop to contender status with a single deal.

That's just not correct thinking, and this year's NBA Finals should be more than enough evidence to back my assertion. Adding a Jermaine or Marion isn't going to put them in the class of the Spurs, Mavs, or Suns. They might emerge as the Eastern Conference Champs, but they'd just be the latest lamb to be led to the slaughter. If I'm a Celts fan, I say "no thanks."

Rebuilding could take some time, but all the prospecting that they've done in past drafts has turned up some gems. In particular, I'd make sure to keep Jefferson and Rondo. I also liked what I was seeing from Allen before he got hurt this year. Those are the guys I'd go out of my way to keep. I'm not a big fan of Green (nice dunks though). I'd just start with that core, what they get at #5 this year (that could be a stud.. Brewer or Green? Those guys look good to me).

Pierce should have good trade value next year. A team that's looking for that extra nudge for a championship run would look hard at Paul Pierce. Whatever the Celtics greatest need might be, they should be able to address it using Pierce.

If I'm the Celts, I just bite the bullet and start really rebuilding -

Apparently talks with PHX, MIN, and BOS have resumed. Rotoworld:

The Timberwolves, Suns and Celtics are having discussions about a trade that would send Kevin Garnett to the Suns, Shawn Marion to the Celtics and the No. 5 pick in Thursday's draft (along with some players) to the Wolves.

Talks between the Lakers and Timberwolves were cooling, as a story broke Monday about the two teams bringing KG and Kobe Bryant together in L.A., so the Wolves have apparently turned their attention to the Suns. The latest trade might be hinging on whether Marion would agree to a contract extension with the Celtics, ESPN's Jim Gray reported. Marion (like Garnett) can opt out of his contract after the 2007-08 season and has said recently that he isn't interested in playing for the Celtics. However, the Suns have spoken to Marion about the deal, so there's actually a chance this could happen. Jun. 27 - 12:27 am et

So how does everyone think Garnett will gel with Amare. I've heard that Marion is somewhat disenchanted with not getting enough credit for the team's success (which is somewhat true) but he fits their team so well right now. They have some great offensive pieces and Marion can attack and get his own shots/points without them having to be created for him. Consequently, it keeps Amare, Nash, and whoever the hot hand is for the day from the outside the focus while Marion is still able to score 20 and grab 10.

Garnett may be a better player than Marion on a team where Garnett leads the show but can he mesh (ie. both be a playmaker since he's a good passer and have enough plays run for him) without disturbing the already existing chemistry.

Personally, IF they can do it I say find a way to make Amare and Marion happy together. If that can't happen then I guess you gotta trade one (likely Marion) for another HUGE piece. Seems Garnett would fit better with Marion than Amare though. On the other hand, Amare is obviously younger (Garnett is only two years older than Marion). In any event, it sounds like Marion is the one likely to be traded.

EDIT: ESPN is now reporting that Amare IS also a definite possibility with the three way trade now to include Atlanta.

Now the Hawks are involved? A horrible deal for PHX in my opinion (Rotoworld:)

ESPN is reporting that a potential three-team deal involving Kevin Garnett, Amare Stoudemire and the No. 3 and 11 picks could happen on Wednesday or Thursday.

The Timberwolves would send Garnett to Phoenix, the Hawks would get Stoudemire and the Wolves would get the No. 3 and 11 pick from the Hawks. This deal would reunite Stoudemire with Joe Johnson, give the Wolves the draft picks they covet and the Suns would get one of the league's premiere power forwards. You have to wonder why the Suns would part with Amare, but despite the fact he didn't miss a game last season after microfracture surgery on his knee, it is still in the back of everyone's mind. There's also the thought that Garnett's defensive presence would be huge, giving the Suns a front line of KG, Shawn Marion and Raja Bell, which might be the best defensive front line in the league. Jun. 27 - 1:44 pm et

Now the Hawks are involved? A horrible deal for PHX in my opinion (Rotoworld:)

ESPN is reporting that a potential three-team deal involving Kevin Garnett, Amare Stoudemire and the No. 3 and 11 picks could happen on Wednesday or Thursday.

The Timberwolves would send Garnett to Phoenix, the Hawks would get Stoudemire and the Wolves would get the No. 3 and 11 pick from the Hawks. This deal would reunite Stoudemire with Joe Johnson, give the Wolves the draft picks they covet and the Suns would get one of the league's premiere power forwards. You have to wonder why the Suns would part with Amare, but despite the fact he didn't miss a game last season after microfracture surgery on his knee, it is still in the back of everyone's mind. There's also the thought that Garnett's defensive presence would be huge, giving the Suns a front line of KG, Shawn Marion and Raja Bell, which might be the best defensive front line in the league. Jun. 27 - 1:44 pm et

Yea I don't know how you give up the 23 year old stud. Atlanta makes out in this deal...what are the chances that either of the No. 3 or 11 pick is anywhere near the impact player that Amare is. This could make Atlanta a threat in the east.

Even though I think Garnett would fit better with Marion than Amare I still think the Suns gotta make the Boston deal happen and keep Amare with Garnett intead.