Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

rotoking07

Garnett Traded to BOS

May generate more interest in the basketball forum B)

That annoys me actually to like no end. Nobody goes in there. Even during the season.

I think Boston for the next 5 years are CONTENDERS for the NBA FINALS but i think al jeff will be KG in 2 years

if you mean that al jeff will be as good as the then 36 year old KG, then maaaaybe. if you think that al jeff will ever be as good as KG is, get off the pipe. KG is one of this generation's greats. Consistently great, night in and night out, for more than a decade.

Well, it looks like it's official now:

Minnesota sends Kevin Garnett to Boston.

Boston sends Al Jefferson, Gerald Green, Theo Ratliff, Ryan Gomes, Sebastian Telfair and two draft picks to Minnesota.

Some random thoughts that come to my mind:

Dr. A is very high on Ricky Davis now, claiming he can average 23 pts, 6 reb, 5 ast, 2 3s, 1 stl per game and be close to late first round value. Al Jefferson also wins this trade, sure, and i can see Gerald Green having more value in Minnesota that the one he should have had in Boston. Randy Foye could also take a leap up with the trade and new youth movement in Minnesota, while i bet all big three will take a small hit in their value in Boston. Rondo may have some value if the Celtics don't add a veteran PG, which i expect them to do (can you spell Brevin Knight?), and Perkins looks like the only C in Boston, but i also believe they will add a veteran frontcourt player (could they snag Chris Webber out of Detroit, maybe?). Rookie Corey Brewer sure takes a hit and should probably be avoided on draft day.

Some draft rounds for players involved:

KG still a 1st rounder, although more of a middle first round than first to third overall pick.

Ray Allen keeps his status, early second rounder to me.

Paul Pierce falls out of the first round, probably.

Rajon Rondo could be draftable during 8th round if the Celtics don't add another capable PG.

Perkins could be a nice #3 C or a blocks and boards #2 C under a stud starting C. Could be drafted late in the draft for bench purposes.

Tony Allen is the only Bench player that comes to my mind in Boston that could be draftable. What about a last round pick?

Ricky Davis could provide late first round value, according to Dr. A, but i'm not drafting him before late third or early 4th.

Al Jefferson could be a very nice 3rd round pick if he keeps his C-eligibility, or even a late second rounder if you think his ankles can keep up. Otherwise (C-eligibility, i mean), i wouldn't draft him before 4th round.

I don't know what to expect from Randy Foye, really, so i would avoid him unless he shows something really special on trainig camp and preseason.

I don't think Gerald Green, Ryan Gomes or Corey Brewer will offer too much to fantasy teams.

Mark Blount is still Mark Blount.

What do you guys think about it?

Some draft rounds for players involved:

KG still a 1st rounder, although more of a middle first round than first to third overall pick.

Ray Allen keeps his status, early second rounder to me.

Paul Pierce falls out of the first round, probably.

Rajon Rondo could be draftable during 8th round if the Celtics don't add another capable PG.

Perkins could be a nice #3 C or a blocks and boards #2 C under a stud starting C. Could be drafted late in the draft for bench purposes.

Tony Allen is the only Bench player that comes to my mind in Boston that could be draftable. What about a last round pick?

Ricky Davis could provide late first round value, according to Dr. A, but i'm not drafting him before late third or early 4th.

Al Jefferson could be a very nice 3rd round pick if he keeps his C-eligibility, or even a late second rounder if you think his ankles can keep up. Otherwise (C-eligibility, i mean), i wouldn't draft him before 4th round.

I don't know what to expect from Randy Foye, really, so i would avoid him unless he shows something really special on trainig camp and preseason.

I don't think Gerald Green, Ryan Gomes or Corey Brewer will offer too much to fantasy teams.

Mark Blount is still Mark Blount.

What do you guys think about it?

You make some good points. Dr A.'s analysis seems pretty close. I couldn't imagine in my right mind thinking of Ricky Davis before the fourth round. Lead man or not, the guy is frequently on the verge of imploding. He has always been about his numbers so maybe he won't care about losing 55 to 60 games next year. Personally I avoid him.

Dr A. made a pretty valid point about the big three spliting up 60 to 70 pts a night. The Celtics have to hope they can be a draw to some veterans looking to win a championship who will accept the league minimum. Webber is an interesting idea. I would be a little leery of Ray Ray keeping late first round value. Pierce probably slides into the late second round.

Al Jeff's value will depend on keeping his C-eligibility. Otherwise he is still a fourth rounder with bad ankles. I don't like big guys with bad wheels at a young age.

Wow, great to see the level of activity on the list during the off season. I should have come back sooner.

I haven't read Dr. A 's article yet, but if he really said that Ricky Davis can produce top 20 value we better check his pipe. I'd be shocked if Davis is even on the Wolves come November, but either way, they are officially about rebuilding. There is nothing about Davis' game that a coach would want to use to teach young players. It wouldn't surprise me to see him come off the bench. No way they are going to put the ball in his hands with any consistency. Also, he is an injury risk. His value has gone way down IMO. With KG on the team they were looking to win. Now they are looking to teach.

As for everyone else.

KG - Still first round, but I agree, he could easily drop below 20 ppg and that sends him plummeting to the bottom half.

Ray Ray - Also takes a hit. Sure he'll have open looks, but how many more 3's do you expect him to hit? His ft% may keep him in the second round, but certainly not near the top.

Pierce - He could actually hold some value as his assists are going to go way up as will his steals. He has said, he'd be a better defender if he had a better defender down low. Well...

Al Jefferson - 11 rbs, 18ppg, bad ft% and good fg%. Early 4th round late third. Definitely could compete with Dwight Howard, but I think you still have to go with Howard as he has put together an entire solid season and his role on his team is just as strong if not stronger.

Rondo - end of the draft. He's a starter, but he will not be judged on numbers at all.

Perkins could be draftable. He is going to be left wide open. If your league counts offensive rebounds, he could be a nice late round pick up.

Most of this speculation is really premature, as I don't think either team is done dealing (or signing FA's).

I think Ainge has to make a run for Brevin Knight and I'd be looking at Rubin Patterson if I were him as well. Knight could end up with some value or at least kill any value Rondo has. Patterson, will be a nice spark off the bench. Good NBA fit and will likely get some burn when Peirce logs some "injury" time in preparation for the playoffs. (assuming Ainge were to sign him of course). Look to grab him off of waivers in Jan for a week or two.

Wow! Two really opposite takes on Ricky Davis' value, really.

While it's very possible that the Wolves could end up trading him now that they are officially in rebuilding mode, it's also true that they need to keep the team winning some home games if they don't want to lose fans, so lose money this next season. After all, this is a business, and a starting line-up of Foye, Brewer, Green, A. Jefferson and Blount could break some records ... of lost games and empty seats.

Although i have a lot of respect at teamshameless opinions, since in the past has proven many times to provide good advice, i'd say that if Davis stays, he could have nice value ... i will not go so far to say second round value, as Dr. A suggests, but could be a nice 4th rounder. That's what i will probably consider him unless something happens in Minnesota.

All right, all right...Here's the thing with Davis...According to Basketballmonster.com, who I trust, Davis was the 29th ranked fantasy player (ranked just ahead of Chauncey) last season in standard 8-cat, 12-team leagues (no TOs). That means he was worth the FIFTH pick in the THIRD round last year (his 81 games played certainly helped). If I had the 12th pick in my draft this year would I take Davis? Um, No. Is there any guarantee that Davis is still with the team by Xmas? No. Might McHale and Wittman give him the DMiles treatment and do what they can to keep him away from the kids? Sure...But, if Davis starts and plays, he could put up monstrous numbers. And don't forget that he even took more shots per game than KG the year before last, which is still hard for me to fathom...You have to think the Wolves will try to win some games and they can't start kids at every position...But I agree...He could be huge or he could suck. But if he plays, I bet he is a fantasy stud...Hopefully he can handle the trip-teams that are coming - ha ha.

All right, all right...Here's the thing with Davis...According to Basketballmonster.com, who I trust, Davis was the 29th ranked fantasy player (ranked just ahead of Chauncey) last season in standard 8-cat, 12-team leagues (no TOs). That means he was worth the FIFTH pick in the THIRD round last year (his 81 games played certainly helped). If I had the 12th pick in my draft this year would I take Davis? Um, No. Is there any guarantee that Davis is still with the team by Xmas? No. Might McHale and Wittman give him the DMiles treatment and do what they can to keep him away from the kids? Sure...But, if Davis starts and plays, he could put up monstrous numbers. And don't forget that he even took more shots per game than KG the year before last, which is still hard for me to fathom...You have to think the Wolves will try to win some games and they can't start kids at every position...But I agree...He could be huge or he could suck. But if he plays, I bet he is a fantasy stud...Hopefully he can handle the trip-teams that are coming - ha ha.

i'm reaching for ricky this yr. hes a VERY underrated well-rounded player who gets a bad rap no real reason. yeah he was immature earlier in his career and he tried for that trip-double, but those days are long gone. ricky's the consummate teammate and someone who i wouldnt mind seeing become the leader of that young t-wolve's team.

a couple of very underrated aspect of ricky d's game are his assists and 3's. his game has expanded the last couple of yrs and he finally had the confidence to add the tre to his reprtoire last yr. post all-star break he hit 2 tre's a game at a 40% clip. i expect him to continue that trend this yr, even with KG gone. unlike KG, al jeff works more on the low block (instead of the mid-post) which will free even more room for ricky to drop bombs. ricky's also a very underrated passer. he's not the selfish guy that people think he is. he doesnt force assists either (like lebron) by dominating the ball. he gets his within the flow of the game and makes the right pass. the only GF's last yr to average more assists than ricky were kobe, t-mac and iguodala.

even with all the youngsters on that team, i cant see ricky's minutes going down much at all. he's like the only veteran presence on that entire team other blount. i'd be happy to get ricky late 3rd or early 4th round.

don't get me wrong. I took Davis in 2 leagues last year and was generally really happy. I agree, he is often under rated.

One thing I will say in his defense is that he could have some early value. If the Wolves want to unload him, they might showcase him a bit, but they won't exert too much effort as he is a pretty known commodity. Oddly, I think there will be a ton of interest in him from other teams (after his buyout;-) Overall, if you look at veterans in similar situations, they don't look so hot over the course of an entire season. Personally, I expect an entire season of value out of my 4th round pick.

I also agree with Dr. A that basketballmoster is THE player rater, but his ranking at 29th shows many of the flaws that raters have in general. They work much better for roto than h2h because they can't really factor consistancy that well, which in h2h is vital.

If you take him in the 4th, trade him as soon as his numbers look good. Of course I doubt anyone is going to give you a 2nd or 3rd round pick for him, so not sure that strategy will work out so well. He will as always be good trade bait for a two for one.

This is great. i love an early start to the season!!!

don't get me wrong. I took Davis in 2 leagues last year and was generally really happy. I agree, he is often under rated.

One thing I will say in his defense is that he could have some early value. If the Wolves want to unload him, they might showcase him a bit, but they won't exert too much effort as he is a pretty known commodity. Oddly, I think there will be a ton of interest in him from other teams (after his buyout;-) Overall, if you look at veterans in similar situations, they don't look so hot over the course of an entire season. Personally, I expect an entire season of value out of my 4th round pick.

I also agree with Dr. A that basketballmoster is THE player rater, but his ranking at 29th shows many of the flaws that raters have in general. They work much better for roto than h2h because they can't really factor consistancy that well, which in h2h is vital.

If you take him in the 4th, trade him as soon as his numbers look good. Of course I doubt anyone is going to give you a 2nd or 3rd round pick for him, so not sure that strategy will work out so well. He will as always be good trade bait for a two for one.

This is great. i love an early start to the season!!!

why do you think ricky wont be able to keep it up over a full season? other than the first month last yr he was right on time all yr round. he didnt shoot under 44% in any month and even in his worst shooting month, he was still 18-5-5.5 1.5 tre's and a stl. only reason why he wasnt putting up the numbers he was capable of (especially scoring #'s) early on was becuz he was being TOO unselfish. he cant afford to be that unselfish with KG gone.

i just love the efficiency in ricky's game. even if he were to be traded i think he'd be able to maintain solid value no matter what system he was traded to. anybody can play in an uptempo system and put up numbers, but ricky has the skill-set to be effective in a half-court system as well (t-wolves were predominantly a half court team last yr). he takes what the D gives him, he can create his own shot and he showed last yr that he now has the ability to spot up and stroke it from deep. the only way i can see his value take a serious hit is if he was traded to a team that was extremely deep at the swing positions. but if a team was already deep at those positions why would they trade for ricky?

you're right about one thing though, a contract yr can be a double edged sword for some vets.

i aint so sure about al jeff doing ten times better and being injury free, but ricky davis must be happy.

bostons should be working on their bench players now, but in my opinion, they also need a better coach.

I think Davis can't maintain his value because the Wolves aren't interested. They'll showcase him for a trade, nothing more. It has nothing to do with his ability. It has to do with his age and the type of game he plays.

As far as productivity after he is traded, don't bet on it. He is the perfect candidate to help a team get over the hump as a scorer off the bench. Think Houston, Dallas, SA, Denver. I suppose if he ended up back in Cleveland he might have some value but the similarities between KG in Minnesota and Lebron in Cleveland might too much for lebron to handle. "I knew it wasn't going to work out in Cleveland the day they signed Ricky Davis" Lebron James - LA Lakers Foward, June 2011.

I think Davis can't maintain his value because the Wolves aren't interested. They'll showcase him for a trade, nothing more. It has nothing to do with his ability. It has to do with his age and the type of game he plays.

i dont understand this statement. you're saying that the wolves arent interested in getting value for ricky? or theyre not interested in keeping him? and what about his age and game? he just entered his prime and plays a well-rounded game.

As far as productivity after he is traded, don't bet on it. He is the perfect candidate to help a team get over the hump as a scorer off the bench. Think Houston, Dallas, SA, Denver. I suppose if he ended up back in Cleveland he might have some value but the similarities between KG in Minnesota and Lebron in Cleveland might too much for lebron to handle. "I knew it wasn't going to work out in Cleveland the day they signed Ricky Davis" Lebron James - LA Lakers Foward, June 2011.

i just looked at those teams you mentioned and only one of em makes sense, Denver. houston doesnt make sense. they wouldnt give up battier and minny wouldnt want mike james back. you have to consider ricky's contract too. he's one of the few players who's value FAR exceeds his contract. he makes less than 7 mill a yr and is a potential 20ppg scorer with a well-rounded game. the trading partner would likely have to give up:

A- a prominent rotation player. B- 2 for 1, which minny cant do cuz theyre already over the roster limit, unless they're willing to throw more money away by cutting players just to get rid of ricky or C- expiring contracts, which makes no sense cuz ricky's ALREADY an expiring contract. Dallas doesnt need an off the bench scorer, they already have stackhouse. they'd likely have to include devin harris. even if that trade went down, ricky would be the starter and would maintin value in that system. same goes for if he was traded to denver, he's exactly what they need, a SG that can spot up, create and defend. i dont think SA would take a chance on him cuz of his "perceived" character problems, plus they're already loaded at the wings.

i dont understand your comment about LB in cleveland. ricky's >>> larry hughes. LB's gonna leave anyways, he's more interested in going to a place where he'd make the most money or increase his stardom.

Ricky Davis' value should be huge, although I think his FG% may take a hit as Al Jefferson isn't the passer KG is. Minnesota is going to be in total rebuilding mode. It will be interesting to see whether they peddle off Davis for more picks or youth or if they hold onto him as a scoring threat to go along with Foye. There would seem to be a logjam that wouldn't allow Green and Brewer the minutes you would assume Minnesota would want to give them, unless they trade Davis. I think he'll likely be a starter wherever he goes though.

Any chance KG gets center eligibility this season.

From a Celtics fan who doesn't play fantasy basketball, I think KG will definitley be playing some minutes at the 5 spot this year. Right now we're looking at Kendrick Perkins as the starting center. I have no idea what it takes to gain eligibility at positions in hoops because you see certain players in the league play different spots throughout a game.

From a Celtics fan who doesn't play fantasy basketball, I think KG will definitley be playing some minutes at the 5 spot this year. Right now we're looking at Kendrick Perkins as the starting center. I have no idea what it takes to gain eligibility at positions in hoops because you see certain players in the league play different spots throughout a game.

This isn't baseball where players have a set position in the field. A defense throws a shift on a lefty pull hitter. Does that make the 3B SS-eligible, SS 2B-eligible, and 2B RF-eligible? See what I mean? It doesn't matter who he's guarding or where he is on the court. All that matters is his designation in the starting lineup.

In order for KG to be C-eligible, they'd have to start a SF at PF, which I don't see happening.

This isn't baseball where players have a set position in the field. A defense throws a shift on a lefty pull hitter. Does that make the 3B SS-eligible, SS 2B-eligible, and 2B RF-eligible? See what I mean? It doesn't matter who he's guarding or where he is on the court. All that matters is his designation in the starting lineup.

In order for KG to be C-eligible, they'd have to start a SF at PF, which I don't see happening.

Even still, Perkins is a one-dimensional player who I don't see as ready to handle the starting C position. He has one low-post move and is a tenacious defender who gets into fould trouble consistently. If, and it's a big if considering the Celtic's bench, someone should emerge that seems capable of playing the 4 allowing Garnett to shift to the 5, I could see Garnett in a starting role with very few big men in the East that he has to worry about defending.

I still think he starts closer to 10 games at C but I'm just guessing really.

I agree and think he will start enough games there to get qualified at center. It will only happen if they sign a legitimate PF though, like a Webber or PJ Brown. But they are rumored to be going after a PF so I think KG will get the C.

Looks like he will play some center (Rotoworld):

Kevin Garnett is going to see some starts at center this season when the Celtics play a small lineup.

This is obviously huge fantasy news. He won't qualify at center on draft night (in most leagues), but he should by the All-Star Break. Taking Garnett with the No. 1 overall pick in your draft is not a bad idea, although LeBron, Kobe, Gilbert Arenas and Shawn Marion are also options.

Garnett is going to play a lot of C IMO. I think the Celtics will play a lot of lineup with Garnett at the 5 Glen Davis at the 4 Paul and Ray Ray at 3 and 2 and Rondo at the 1.

Looks like he will play some center (Rotoworld):

Kevin Garnett is going to see some starts at center this season when the Celtics play a small lineup.

This is obviously huge fantasy news. He won't qualify at center on draft night (in most leagues), but he should by the All-Star Break. Taking Garnett with the No. 1 overall pick in your draft is not a bad idea, although LeBron, Kobe, Gilbert Arenas and Shawn Marion are also options.

Scot Pollard was the one quoted in the blog. I don't know how much stock I would put into that. I'm not saying Garnett won't start at C. I'm sure he will when the Celtics play some of the running West teams. I'd like to hear it straight from Doc for reassurance.

Here is the full quote:

‘‘When we go bigger and Kendrick [Perkins] starts, which I think will be most nights, I’ll back him up,’’ said Pollard. ‘‘On the nights we go small and KG starts [at center], I’ll be the backup to the backup. Talking to [coach] Doc [Rivers], what I’m really excited about is the free-flowing offense. That is more like I played my whole career until I got to Indiana and it became an Eastern Conference kind of mentality.’’