Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

rrich46

Wieters up sooner than expected?

Watched on BB Tonight. Gammons spoke to Trembly this weekend, the info is attributed to Trembly.

Move if needed but hadda share

I had to hit rewind on the DVR just to be sure I heard it right....

It's a small sample to be sure but his K rate has been uncharacteristically high at AAA and he recently suffered a minor hamstring injury. You'd think they'd want both to calm down before bringing him up. I guess not...?

So guys is Wieters really gonna be a good fantasy value this year? Because he is still availiable in my draft and my best catcher is Pyerzenski. I was just curious to know if this guy is really gonna be the real deal.

They were just waiting long enough to buy Wieters that extra year before free agency (which I believe happened on April 17th). I wouldn't read too much into his AAA performance thus far. Remember Longoria hit .200 with no extra base hits when he was recalled last year. Once he's healthy from his strain, he may get the call.

They were just waiting long enough to buy Wieters that extra year before free agency (which I believe happened on April 17th). I wouldn't read too much into his AAA performance thus far. Remember Longoria hit .200 with no extra base hits when he was recalled last year. Once he's healthy from his strain, he may get the call.

Ya the only thing that might delay him a little is the hammy, but I don't think his AAA stats make any difference at all. 2 weeks of bad stats doesn't matter when he had a full year and full spring training of good ones.

So guys is Wieters really gonna be a good fantasy value this year? Because he is still availiable in my draft and my best catcher is Pyerzenski. I was just curious to know if this guy is really gonna be the real deal.

In my opinion with the exception of lack of experience, he is the best catcher in the league the day he is called up. John Sickels said he is a cross between Joe Mauer's bat and Mike Piazza's power. I think he is the best catcher to come into the league since Johnny Bench. Calling him a #1 prospect just isn't enough IMHO.

so was the call made to bring him up? is there a date for his call up? i might have to snag him off waiver wire right now

What excatly was said by gammons?? I missed the interview on Baseball Tonight. Any sort of link for more info?

What excatly was said by gammons?? I missed the interview on Baseball Tonight. Any sort of link for more info?

He said the eta on his call up has been moved up.

Sooooooooo much hype. Anything other then a .320 average, and at this point probably still having the most RBI and HR out of the C spot in all leagues and people will probably be disappointed. You could probably get Hanley for this guy right now! B)

Sooooooooo much hype. Anything other then a .320 average, and at this point probably still having the most RBI and HR out of the C spot in all leagues and people will probably be disappointed. You could probably get Hanley for this guy right now! :)

I wish I played in a league like that. LOL.

It has been said he is a God though. B)

Where do we see him slotting in the O's lineup? Don't have him, but do have Roberts & Markakis.

I went to the Charlotte Knights game last Thursday when they played the Norfolk Tides, the Orioles' AAA affiliate.

Matt Wieters was catching for the Tides, and he smacked a LONG opposite field HR on his first AB of the night. It was to left-center, and it cleared the 25' fence that is located behind the outfield fence. He ended up 2-for-5 with a HR and a walk. He is a big dude (6'5", 230) - looked like a man among boys.

After seeing him live, I believe the hype.

http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv185/J...ballpark011.jpg

I went to the Charlotte Knights game last Thursday when they played the Norfolk Tides, the Orioles' AAA affiliate.

Matt Wieters was catching for the Tides, and he smacked a LONG opposite field HR on his first AB of the night. It was to left-center, and it cleared the 20' fence that is located behind the outfield fence. He ended up 2-for-5 with a HR and a walk. He is a big dude (6'5", 230) - looked like a man among boys.

He looks like the secret guy I would create in MVP 05 - 7'0 300 Lbs, able to smack every ball out of the park. What was that name you would use??

Matt Wieters was catching for the Tides, and he smacked a LONG opposite field HR on his first AB of the night. It was to left-center, and it cleared the 20' fence that is located behind the outfield fence. He ended up 2-for-5 with a HR and a walk. He is a big dude (6'5", 230) - looked like a man among boys.

After seeing that picture, I take back everything I said! B) He seriously looks like he is a freaking monster just in size alone. I've seen glimpses here and there, but nothing more so IRL like that. That frame looks a lot bigger then what it actually is listed at.

After seeing that picture, I take back everything I said! B) He seriously looks like he is a freaking monster just in size alone. I've seen glimpses here and there, but nothing more so IRL like that. That frame looks a lot bigger then what it actually is listed at.

Yeah, but so does Dallas McPherson.

Once the O's call up Wieters then replace Pie for Reimold and call up their stud pitching, the O's will be a force in the AL East.

Doesn't even look like a bat in his hand. Looks more like a twig.

Ya the only thing that might delay him a little is the hammy, but I don't think his AAA stats make any difference at all. 2 weeks of bad stats doesn't matter when he had a full year and full spring training of good ones.

Still, not keen on the fact that he has 9K in 24 AB after a class hike. Again, small sample and not enough to call significant. But nonetheless I'd feel a lot better about the promotion if his K ratio was in the teens and not the 30s.

I'll take it nonetheless. Maybe Toes is right and I can get Hanley or Reyes out of him. B)

*holding breath as team decides to actually play their best player instead of save money*

Once the O's call up Wieters then replace Pie for Reimold and call up their stud pitching, the O's will be a force in the AL East.

Well, by force you mean a reasonable bet for third or so, you might be right. Don't forget the Rays, Yankees, and Red Sox aren't going anywhere. And the O's need all their starters to develop. Just ask Clay Buchholz and Phil Hughes about that. Lots of ifs. Plus, I wouldn't write off Pie. But other than that, a decent future.

Hidden
Is he worth a keeper in a 6 player keeper league?

Too early to tell. It depends on who else you have, and how Wieters performs. He's a great prospect but let's not put him in the Hall of Fame just yet.