Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

rrich46

Wieters up sooner than expected?

Hidden
Is he worth a keeper in a 6 player keeper league?

He might be, but why not wait until the end of the season?

Well, by force you mean a reasonable bet for third or so, you might be right. Don't forget the Rays, Yankees, and Red Sox aren't going anywhere. And the O's need all their starters to develop. Just ask Clay Buchholz and Phil Hughes about that. Lots of ifs. Plus, I wouldn't write off Pie. But other than that, a decent future.

Nope, force.

Nope, force.

With Wieters in the lineup the O's have a case for the best lineup in baseball. Rangers is the only lineup I think is better, but that's only if Davis stops striking out every at bat and turns out to be the masher people predicted he would be.

I agree that the Orioles are only a couple of their young pitchers away from being beastly. We need two of Matusz, Arrieta, and Tillman to meet expectations.

Hidden

I worded my question wrong. I should have asked if a catcher is worth keeping in a 6 player keeper league.

My keepers last year were Utley, Berkman, Braun, Quentin, Justin Upton, and Jay Bruce.

I would have to trade for Wieters now.

Let's keep this one from turning into a bench coach or AL East debate. Any specific Wieters questions can be threads in bench coach, and any debates on the merits of the O's as AL East contenders can be made in a separate thread. This one is for Matt Wieters.

Hidden

Weiters is a FA in one league i'm in. i got my eye on him and i am seriously thinking of adding him right now.

If Wieters gets called up with in a month my projection of: .300/.410/.520, 68 R, 85 RBI, 21 HR looks pretty good.

With Wieters in the lineup the O's have a case for the best lineup in baseball. Rangers is the only lineup I think is better, but that's only if Davis stops striking out every at bat and turns out to be the masher people predicted he would be.

I agree that the Orioles are only a couple of their young pitchers away from being beastly. We need two of Matusz, Arrieta, and Tillman to meet expectations.

This post is GTG fanboy worthy.

don't be surprised if the o's keep him down long enough to avoid super-2 status (i.e. late may, early june)

don't be surprised if the o's keep him down long enough to avoid super-2 status (i.e. late may, early june)

i own wieters so an earlier call up would be quite welcome, but i have to agree with this statement....for all we know the O's original timetable was around the all-star break and they moved it up to june....i am usually a hype stirrer but in this case i would love hard dates not round abouts.... i would love for him to come up in a week or so and open up a roster spot on my team and lock down my catcher spot for the next ten years all at the same time.... just not sure it is going to happen quicker than another month or so..

Here are a few interesting comments from an Orioles board:

I think the timetable is being moved up because it was never really June to begin with. June was lip-service at best.
I agree with this as well.
Yeah, I always thought the arb date was reasonable, but to hold him back for the Super-2 deadline would have been an insult to him and the team.

Once he's healthy, bring the man up.

I tend to agree with these guys as well.

A wieters call up gives me Geovany Soto to dangle in a trade.

I do agree however that his hammy injury is liable to push this call up back some.

Would be unreal if this happened. I drafted Posada late to cover until Wieters could be called up and Posada has fortunately started off hot. Bringing Wieters up would give me the roster flexibility to move Posada and help my pitching staff or my Utility.

You have to believe that the original intent was to bring Wieters up in Late May/Early June. No way would they be able to sit him until September with the spring and the minor league track record he had entering this season. Therefore if the original intent was to bring him up the 1st of June and that has been moved up, I think it is very likely that we see Wieters in the next couple of weeks. Either way, we are going to see him June 1st at the latest (barring injury of course) which means he will have 300-350 at bats worst case scenario. Time to pick him up if you have not already done so.

Would be unreal if this happened. I drafted Posada late to cover until Wieters could be called up and Posada has fortunately started off hot. Bringing Wieters up would give me the roster flexibility to move Posada and help my pitching staff or my Utility.

You have to believe that the original intent was to bring Wieters up in Late May/Early June. No way would they be able to sit him until September with the spring and the minor league track record he had entering this season. Therefore if the original intent was to bring him up the 1st of June and that has been moved up, I think it is very likely that we see Wieters in the next couple of weeks. Either way, we are going to see him June 1st at the latest (barring injury of course) which means he will have 300-350 at bats worst case scenario. Time to pick him up if you have not already done so.

Cheers Cheers! I did the same thing buy drafted Mauer ahead of Wieters under the assumption that he'd be sitting for a few months. Now I'm in a soon to be issue of having 2 of the top maybe 5 catchers in the league.

I wish someone could tell me exactly when his super-2 date is passed.

Peters Gammons is a pretty credible reporter. My assumption would be that the Orioles originally planned on holding Wieters back until early June (due to the super 2 status as people mentioned) but are now probably going to ignore the super-2 status and bring him up before that. His arbitration date is already past. So I bet that to start the season, Orioles planned on calling him up in early June, now I assume it will be almost any day now. I can't see Wieters in the minors for much longer.

Just speculation, but Wieters could be (and sounds like will be) called up before the month is out.

Re: Super-2.

The Super-2 tag refers to the players with less than 3 years of MLB service time who are in the top 17 percent of their class, and who played 86 days of service time the previous year. MLB assigns a max # of days accumulated as 172 days per year on MLB teams (note that unlike determining rookie status, service time *does* include September callup time - so David Price probably has 10+ more days of service time accumulated). Please note that being on the DL does actually count as service time, but being sent down to the minors stops the clock again (but not if it's a rehab assignment).

So, while there are historic dates, it depends how many players have 2+ years experience, and what levels of extra time they have. Generally, the cutoff has been around 2 years & 128 days, but it could be as low as 110, or as high as 140. To be safe, most teams wait until mid-to-late May. If they are worried about it, you know there has to be someone in the front office who is crunching #'s looking at the rookie class at who is already up, and projecting. But, since they won't know until after 2010, they have to guess, which is why it's often late-May when players are called up.

Hope that helps,

P.S. Thanks to Service Time FAQ and the Rockies Service Time Roster Discussion for providing the details.

On Monday's ESPN Fantasy Focus Podcast, Eric Karabell was on the show and 11 minutes and 50 seconds into the show he said that Buster Olney told him that Wieters will be up "sooner than you think"

One of the big questions I would like to see addressed is if Wieters will DH on his off days. That would make him much more valuable as they could rest him from behind the plate twice a week, yet keep his bat in the lineup. I think that would be a good situation for Wieters, Zaun, and the Orioles.

Another thing I am curious to see is which of us are able to scoop the callup and post it here B) You know there are a ton of people stalking/posting on this thread that are checking the wire with regularity to see if he is called up.

Once the O's call up Wieters then replace Pie for Reimold and call up their stud pitching, the O's will be a force in the AL East.

Laughable.

I'm thinking Wieters should be owned in all leagues right now, as there has to be bench space for a guy like him. I drafted him in a redraft and got Sandoval as his placeholder. More than willing to eat the roster space.

What's the latest on his injury? Is he going to be fine?

From all the things I've read this guy is going to be very special. I'm curious to know how Wieters compares to Jeff Clement far as an overall hitter. It seems I remember reading a thread like this last year about Clement, and dude really struggled when he was called up. Is Wieters good enough to make an immediate impact, or do some of you expect him to struggle like many young guys do when called up?

I haven't seen this guy yet, but if he doesn't kill an entire section of fans should he hit a foul ball in that direction, I will believe that this guy is a little overhyped.

Unfortunately I have no room on the bench for him being that I've got Mauer on the DL. Can't wait to boot Ramon Hernandez.

The Clement / Wieters comparison is not really close. Wieters is the best catching prospect since Johnny Bench.

In Weiters we have the potential catcher version of Mark Teixeira. At no point in his career has Jeff Clement ever been thought to have a ceiling like that.