Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

rrich46

Wieters up sooner than expected?

Matt Wieters has yet to choose the deadline for Super-2 status. I'm sure that when he does, he will call Andy MacPhail and command that he be called up.

Does anyone know the exact date that guys like Matt Wieters can/will be called up so that enough time has passed for the O's to save a little money. I assume when that date hits, Wieters will be called up ASAP. Anyone have that date???

I'm not exactly sure but Longoria got called up April 12th last year when he was in a similar situation. Wieters is also like Longoria is struggling in AAA. But unlike Longoria last year I doubt the O's bring Wieters up if he isn't crushing in AAA which right now his OPS is only .716, so keep an eye on that.

But another thing to know is Greg Zaun is terrible at throwing out runners. He's thrown out 4 of 22 base stealers which I'm pretty sure is one of the worst in the league....

Matt Wieters has yet to choose the deadline for Super-2 status. I'm sure that when he does, he will call Andy MacPhail and command that he be called up.

I'll be honest...I don't understand ANY of this stuff. Anyone want to do a quick rundown or link to a thread that explains it?

Nobody knows when, it's all speculation at this point. I would guess sometime during Memorial Day weekend (I remember that happened with Braun two years ago).

I'm not exactly sure but Longoria got called up April 12th last year when he was in a similar situation. Wieters is also like Longoria is struggling in AAA. But unlike Longoria last year I doubt the O's bring Wieters up if he isn't crushing in AAA which right now his OPS is only .716, so keep an eye on that.

But another thing to know is Greg Zaun is terrible at throwing out runners. He's thrown out 4 of 22 base stealers which I'm pretty sure is one of the worst in the league....

What a drag it would be to wait for this guy for all that time, thinking he is going to be a good option this year, then he comes in and is a below average catcher in his first year

What a drag it would be to wait for this guy for all that time, thinking he is going to be a good option this year, then he comes in and is a below average catcher in his first year

This is why you dont count on rookies, every year a couple rookies get drafted way too high. Sure you might strike gold and get a Longoria but 4 out of 5 times they dont produce.

Should be around June 1. It's pretty complicated, but I'm pretty sure one year of service time = 172 days on a ML roster.

He's already passed the first deadline. It took him being in the minors for just the first few weeks of the season to have control of him for an 'extra year'. Essentially the clock on his first unrestricted year of FA has already been set back a year. Now if they wait until June (or 8 weeks from opening day), he will not be able to reach Super 2 status, thus he will be cheaper during the restricted years.<br><br>This situation is unlike Braun and Longoria whose teams were in contention. Despite Zauns struggles with offense and defense, Wieters promotion isn't going to take that team to the playoffs. Plus that teams nucleus is pretty young to begin with. So I doubt they get an itchy trigger finger and call him up before June. The coach and the GM are on record stating as much. Also, he could probably be doing a bit worse in AAA and they would still call him up.<br><br>He is the future for them and the future is June.<br>

I'm not exactly sure but Longoria got called up April 12th last year when he was in a similar situation.

Longoria got called up that early because he was about to sign a long term contract. They didn't have to worry about super 2 status at that point.

Usually, the cutoff ends up being around 2 years and somewhere between 130 - 140 days of service time. So if the Orioles want to be safe, they'll aim for less than 130 days of service this year. Meaning that he wouldn't be up until the end of May or early June.

This is why you dont count on rookies, every year a couple rookies get drafted way too high. Sure you might strike gold and get a Longoria but 4 out of 5 times they dont produce.

Not exactly a matter of producing just a matter of getting called up, this guy is as close to a sure thing as there is a rookie.

ZAUN-MOELLER WATCH

89 AB

15 H

1 HR

8 R

2 RBI

11 BB

11 K

.168 AVG