Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

theosox

1B Impact This Year

Just wanted to start a thread to determine if there are any potential 1B major league ready. Will they impact this year?

It wouldn't shock me to see Smoak late in the season.

- Kyle Blanks of the Padres. He's ready and they want his bat up with the team, but he's blocked by A-Gone. He may come up as a outfielder later in the season and would have 1B eligibility.

- Kila Ka'aihue can be up for the Royals if he can turn it around in AAA soon.

- Mike Carps hitting the crap out of the ball in AAA for Seattle. I think he can be up pretty soon.

The big names like Morrison, Smoak, Anderson, Cooper, Marrero, Alonso are still a year away.

- Kyle Blanks of the Padres. He's ready and they want his bat up with the team, but he's blocked by A-Gone. He may come up as a outfielder later in the season and would have 1B eligibility.

- Kila Ka'aihue can be up for the Royals if he can turn it around in AAA soon.

- Mike Carps hitting the crap out of the ball in AAA for Seattle. I think he can be up pretty soon.

The big names like Morrison, Smoak, Anderson, Cooper, Marrero, Alonso are still a year away.

Isn't Kila blocked too?

Isn't Kila blocked too?

Yup, blocked by Jacobs and Butler.

Also, I'm surprised people haven't already mentioned the most obvious one, who's playing right now: Matt LaPorta. He's 1B-eligible, at least in Yahoo leagues.

Yup, blocked by Jacobs and Butler.

Also, I'm surprised people haven't already mentioned the most obvious one, who's playing right now: Matt LaPorta. He's 1B-eligible, at least in Yahoo leagues.

I'd say most people consider LaPorta an OF. Lars Anderson would seem to be the most MLB ready, but would clearly need an injury or two and production to see the show. 1B is one place there's a lot of long-term help but very little immediately.

Just throwing this one out there.

Jake Fox. He's owning in the minors. Blocked by D Lee / Hoffpauir (not so much Hoffpauir).

Derek Lee has been awful thus far in the year. He did hit a slam yesterday though.

What do you guys think of Sean Doolittle for this year? He's got some serious pop, and the As could use all the offensive help they can get. 22 HRs between A and AA last year. 4 already this year. AVG might be a problem, but anybody that can hit 30 HRs has some value. His K rate has been over 20% which is a bit alarming, but he's been walking at a decent rate.

Gaby Sanchez will get another shot for the Marlins if Bonafacio continues to bottom out.

Chris Carter? Doing well in Double-A, Giambi's been terrible so far. The A's need a slugging first baseman.

Chris Carter? Doing well in Double-A, Giambi's been terrible so far. The A's need a slugging first baseman.

I hope so, he is doing very well at AA but I don't know if they would push Giambi out of that role just yet. Even though I own him in a Dynasty, I think he'll struggle when/if he comes up this season.

I hope so, he is doing very well at AA but I don't know if they would push Giambi out of that role just yet. Even though I own him in a Dynasty, I think he'll struggle when/if he comes up this season.

True, but Giambi fits better at DH anyways so they should be able fit Carter into the lineup. They've been using Cust in the outfield too. The offense is pretty stagnant so far, so I think it's definitely a possibility. And Daric Barton is not the answer

Smoak a September call-up at this point? College polished, does he rake right away in MLB?

He is owning AA right now. With great plate discipline. I see him having an easy transition to the bigs. He was touted as the best "pure hitter" in the draft. I could see him getting a taste in September, but he'd have to compete for a spot come next spring.

I think Mike Carp (as said above) will be up soon. Branyan is starting to go back to be the BRanyan of old and Carp has been tearing up in AAA Tacoma all year. He's the starting 1B next year for the Mariners IMO.

He is owning AA right now. With great plate discipline. I see him having an easy transition to the bigs. He was touted as the best "pure hitter" in the draft. I could see him getting a taste in September, but he'd have to compete for a spot come next spring.

I agree. Although, with a good spring I think 1B is almost assured. Isn't Blalock speculated to be gone, Davis moving to DH and Smoak assuming 1B? He's got plus D so I think the Rangers would like the glove immediately.