Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RAEF715

CHARLIE MANUEL IS A GENIUS

the guy is currently operating with:

40% of his starting rotation is now mediocre minor league callups (lieber and freddy done)

alfonseca as a closer and mesa and other garbage in the bullpen (flash and bm on dl)

benches the 2 million dollar catcher most games

benches the 2 million dollar third baseman (wes "one homer" helms) most games

and now, he is starting the bench the 13 million dollar man pat burrell, in favor of michael bourn, against right handers

interesting..last night he batted bourn second (hit, two walks, steal, run), and moved victorino down to the #6 spot..they scored 11 runs so something tells me charlie runs with this lineup for a while....

Or they got lucky against a weak Cinny bullpen? They faced Homer who is a rookie and gave up 6 runs and well it wouldn't be hard to get 5 more runs against the Cinny bullpen.

Even a blind squirrel will find the occasional acorn. Benching guys like Helms and Barajas is not genius unless (EDIT). In the rest of the world it is common sense.

Believe me, im captain of the fire Charlie Manuel express, so im just letting up on him for a day...

and benching well paid Phillies players isnt necessarily easily..this is a franchise where the gm criticized some players early in the year, and the owners called him in to scold him for that....

actually, rod barajas is terrible and it was a terrible free agent pick up. carlos ruiz is much young and has a better skill set. as for helms, i was actually pretty hype when they signed him, I figured it would be a definate upgrade from what they have had a third over the past few years, but boy was I wrong. This guys looks like he is lost out there. He makes an unforivable amount of errors, as he has probably single handedly lost about 2 games for the phils, and at the plate the guy is terrible. The way he is playing right now I would much rather have a platoon of nunez/dobbs then helms playing third.

I agree with you guys, I like Bourn in Left, much better defense and will be a bigger asset in the lineup then Burrell, with J-Roll, Bourne and Victorino in the lineup it is a TON of speed. Don't need Burrell's 8 home runs either, with Howard back and hitting well now! I like Ruiz, also, but Barajas can be decent from time to time, I think he is a good back up and Ruiz should be in most time, but $2 mill was probably a bit much...But it is important to have two decent catchers. I was also fairly excited about Helms, but Nunez has hit decent and plays a nice third and Dobbs has been big this year, I say keep those two at third. Now if could only get the Bullpen in order, I like the idea of Gordon and Myers at the end of the games if they can get healthy!

chris coste is sitting in the minors after hitting .300 last year and could be the backup catcher....

howard eskin keeps insisting michael bourn is not a major league player- i guess we'll find out...

at least nunez plays a great defensive third base....it seems offense is not their problem, so keep him in there and bat him 8th...

helms could be their worst offensive pickup since dale sveum...

mike maroth would have been a nice cheap pick up to be an experienced back of rotation starter though..

tell me about it. the phils refuse to make smart pickups. look at the cardinals, there #1 and #2 pitchers are on the DL, but they are still in the hunt. They go out and pick up percival, ohka, and maroth. I would have been thrilled if the phillies would have picked at least one of them guys up. I am happy that they picked up J.C. Romero, he could prove to be a true asset, as he is a left handed reliever. I think it would be best if the phillies manage to straighten out their bullpen and move myers back to the rotation. Come playoff time, it would be very difficult for them to lose if they were throwing hamels, myers, and moyer/eaton.

after the flash gordon episode, i dont necessarily believe that myers is due back soon...

i wonder how easy it would be to go from being on the dl for almost 2 months and in the bullpen for about a month before that to go back into the rotation....then again, he'd probably do as well as kendrick, durbin and company will do...

and im still curious how hamels will hold up as the season goes on, as he is approaching more innings than he's ever pitched in a season in his life....

of course then, reality will set in on alfonseco and the bullpen will fall apart....

as far as maroth and ohka, i realize they are journeyman pitchers, but they at least have experience...im curious if the phillies were just

a) too cheap

B) too slow

c) deluding themselves into thinking their minor league callups can get it done

I think we gotta relax here with calling Manuel a genius. The guy decided to move his ace of the moment in Myers into the closer role, and he ended up getting hurt in late relief. The guy had a couple of bad outings and immediately he's moved to the bullpen to make room for another stellar Philly SP (not). Just because Charlie is showing signs of brain activity doesn't make him a "genius", it makes him 1/2 of a MLB Manager. Doesn't take a genius to realize that benching your s---y players and starting the young ones with talent and more upside is a better strategy than holding your breath for another 32/117/.286 season from Burrell. Instead of going to get more bullpen help, or trading for a guy like MacDougal before the ChiSox did, they went and got a career platoon 3B in Helms. Money well-spent, I'd say

relax, i was joking.....i see manuel attempt to manage every game...and it drives me insane.....

Hey, I know what you mean. I go to college in PA and the only friggen games I get to watch are those shleps. Just feel so bad for JRoll, Howard and Utley. If they could just get some arms that could just keep them in games, not necessarily dominate, they'd be in great shape. I don't understand why the didn't go after Maroth or Ohka instead of having to bring up mediocre talent too early, could end up doing more bad than good

Whoever would have thought that teams wished they would have signed Ohka and Maroth after someone else picked em up...

Not sure what that's supposed to mean. I meant to try and get them before they were signed obviously

true, but this is a league where jeff weaver gets a big free agent contract, 7 guys in their 40's are starting today, the rangers start a staff full of 6+ era's, and troy percival has teams competing for his services after 2 years of sitting on his couch....

he just meant that fans are upset their team didnt pick up pitchers with stats as bad as ohka and maroth...

It would have made absolutely no sense to sign Ohka or make a trade for Maroth. Those are both panic moves by the Cardinals. By calling up minor league pitchers who are going to give you what you get from weak pitchers like Ohka and Maroth, you save money/players and are able to better assess your team before the trade deadline.

Well, I mean, these are the Phillies, and Charlie Manuel is the king of "absolutely no sense". Maroth and Ohka wouldn't have come with mammoth contracts a la Jeff Weaver, and it would allow the development of young pitching that they're going to need in the future with Lieber and Garcia's injuries. Throwing young talent prematurely into the fire for a team that isn't necessarily trying to "Win Now" like other clubs are, makes absolutely no sense.

just had to share about the latest managing exploits of uncle charlie....

bottom of the 10th, tie game, rod barajas walks to lead off...phils have one player left on the bench, jayson werth, so i figure maybe charlie is saving him for an at bat.... turns out werth has an injured wrist and can't hit anyway (went on dl after the game), so all werth CAN do is run....but charlie leaves slow as molasses barajas on first for an out, and then a single by nunez moves barajas to second...

jimmy rollins comes up...gets a 1-2 count and fouls off a couple pitches...suddenly, charlie gets an idea

"hey, why don't i pinch run werth for that slow catcher!"...

werth comes in to run, rollins rips one into the gap that either guy would have scored on..game over..

by the way, don't ever remember a game continuing with standing water in the infield and batters box like this one had last night....

apparently, Manuel has been watching Angel games, and trying to win with more contact & speed. I guess if you can't do things right your own way, copy from someone else.

and as far as Maroth goes, the Cards got him cheap, he's not THAT bad, and he'll eat innings. Ohka on the other hand...

just saw this quote in SI from charlie that i hadnt seen before..

on the phillies 8800 wins against 10000 losses in history

"that means we just have to win a hundred or so games and we'll get back to .500"

by the way, im already expecting the mets to conclude the four game sweep today and tomorrow....

What was up with Victorino coming into both games off the bench yesterday?