Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
elemenohpee

Pat Venditte

32 posts in this topic

in case you haven't already heard about this guy...here's a clip on youtube on what this guy does...

I think every single pitcher has had dreams about being able to do that!!!

i read about this cat last yr. very interesting talent, but i cant see him making it to the bigs. by all accounts his stuff kinda sucks from both sides (although i think i saw a nice little splittter from the right side). i guess he could maybe make it as a trick pitcher out of the bullpen, kinda like a sidewinder or submarine pitcher. other than that hes just an anomaly who prolly wont make it.

thats some jerky motion from the left side... crazy to think he could blow out his elbow have tommy john and pitch the week after surgery

It didn't sound or look like he had dominating stuff from either side. I don't think he'll make it. It's a great story, though.

He only throws high 80's righty and high 70's lefty.

Always wondered why more pitchers dont attempt this. Would come in handy...

its prolly the most obscure baseball rule ever, but can a pitcher switch up during an at bat? the batter can so i dont see why not.

That guy would get blown up in the bigs, but it's a fun novelty for high A ball, if he were to get drafted.

its prolly the most obscure baseball rule ever, but can a pitcher switch up during an at bat? the batter can so i dont see why not.

He has to declare which arm to use before the at-bat begins and cannot change until the next hitter.

Have you heard of this guy Pat Venditte? He's a Yankees minor league pitcher who can throw from both the left and right.

This is great. There is video on USA today under MLB section that you can find here: http://usatoday.feedroom.com/

I wish I could post the direct link but its not available.

Enjoy!

That video is old.

He actually didn't sign with the Yankees, and he will be in this year's draft as well. Probably nothing more than someone who is a career minor league player, but always fun to see.

I can actually throw ambidextrously, but I can't get the ball to break from the left side, it just stays straight unless I loop it like a softball pitch.

This still doesn't really help with switch hitters, because I think by MLB rules, the pitcher has to establish what side he is pitching from before the batter does I believe.

Tim Kurkjian writes a chapter about ambidexterity in his book Is This a Great Game, or What?. I have not read it, but read reviews on it and he mentions there have been four ambidextrous pitchers in MLB history. In addition, Victor Martinez can throw 75 MPH left-handed.

Should allow him to have a longer career. If he blows out his right elbow, he can then throw lefty, or vice versa.

Interviewed Pat Venditte the other night when his Staten Island Yankees were in Aberdeen to play the Aberdeen. It's a Q&A and I probably won't run it for about two weeks - column is twice weekly and I've got LaPorta and Austin Jackson ahead of him on the pecking order - but what the heck, for anyone who's interested:

Q: What was your reaction when you learned you'd been drafted by the Yankees? Did you know in advance that they were looking to pick you? A: No, I didn't have too much contact with them throughout the year. A few days before the draft they called me, and I was kind of surprised, but I'm very grateful to be with them now.

Q: Growing up, did your coaches encourage your switch-pitching, or did you sometimes face resistance?

A: There was no resistance growing up, and I was very fortunate to have that. My coaches were very supportive all the way throughout.

Q: Most switch-hitters are stronger from one side than the other. Is that the case for you on the mound?

A: You know, I am stronger from my right side. I throw fairly harder, and because of that I have to rely more on locating my fastball and especially locating my off-speed pitches from the left side.

Q: Could you talk about the different pitches you throw and how you like to use them? And does the arm you're throwing with affect that?

A: From the right side I throw over the top all the time with a fastball, curveball and occasional changeup. From the left I drop down to a sidearm angle and predominantly throw sliders. I've just been sticking with that and you know, occasionally I'll go to a fastball, but it's predominantly sliders from the left side.

Q: How did you find a glove you could use on either hand? They don't sell those at Modell's.

A: (Laughs) My dad faxed the Mizuno company when I was seven. He had traced my hand and he just faxed the imprint of my hand over there, and two or three months later I had a glove.

Q: To what do you attribute your immediate success as a pro?

A: I've been keeping the ball down in the zone. I've been very fortunate so far; it's been a good season so far, but we've still got a couple weeks left here and a lot more work to do.

Q: Any plans for fall ball or winter ball?

A: No, I've got to go back to finish school. I've got my homework here already, so yeah, classes have already started and I've got 18 more credit hours to graduate, so I'll be done in December.

Q: How soon do you think you'll be ready to help the Yankees?

A: (Laughs) That's a ways off. I've got a lot of work to do. We'll see what happens.

I can actually throw ambidextrously, but I can't get the ball to break from the left side, it just stays straight unless I loop it like a softball pitch.

This still doesn't really help with switch hitters, because I think by MLB rules, the pitcher has to establish what side he is pitching from before the batter does I believe.

this came up in a game. they decided that the pitcher can declare last.

edit: obviously in an MILB game...not sure the MLB rules

Edited by Shamrocks

MLB said now that the batter will decide before the at-bat

Dragging this thread up from the depths...

Anybody wondering if this guy is for real?

For the Sally League's Charleston Riverdogs, he has a .74 ERA, 17 saves, and 38 strikeouts in just 24 IP. I'm surprised he hasn't been promoted yet, but since he hasn't, I'll go watch him pitch this Sunday and let everyone know.

How long until he gets promoted? And also, has he become a prospect and less of a spectacle yet?

He had a great year last year too and seems like he should be getting some respect for his pitching rather than his special talent.

Dragging this thread up from the depths...

Anybody wondering if this guy is for real?

For the Sally League's Charleston Riverdogs, he has a .74 ERA, 17 saves, and 38 strikeouts in just 24 IP. I'm surprised he hasn't been promoted yet, but since he hasn't, I'll go watch him pitch this Sunday and let everyone know.

Yeah, I followed himafter hearing about him from ESPN. LOL His numbers look for real, & I heard his stuff has improved obviously since this topic was 1st created. I'm monitoring him, tho he's not in CBSs minors database yet. I don't see why he wouldn't be servicable in the majors. Ive seen alot worse so far. lol....Vegeta

i read something how in the minors...they named it the venditte rule...and now the pitcher and batter both can only make a change once per at bat...not sure who can go first and who goes last in terms of changing sides...but i remember reading that only one change is allowed cuz of this guy...they made this rule cuz he was facing a switch hitter and they both kept changing sides for about 10-15 mins and the ump made the batter finalize which side he was gonna hit from...and the batter was pissed off after the game cuz there was previous rule that he was aware of that he couldnt keep changing sides...

i read this quite a while ago so my memory might not be exactly accurate about it...