Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HighLanderZ

BOS to trade for R. Allen?

Rotoworld Headlines

ESPN is reporting that a deal that would send Ray Allen to the Celtics for the No. 5 pick, Wally Szczerbiak and Delonte West is close to becoming a reality.

Stay tuned on this one. Allen definitely gives Paul Pierce some much needed help, but it's hard to say how many years Allen has left. There were earlier rumors that the Sonics wanted Rajon Rondo, causing the Celtics to demand Robert Swift, but as of now, it sounds like the deal may be ready to happen as mentioned above. Moving Szczerbiak and West would help clear up the logjam at shooting guard in Boston, where Allen would immediately step in.

Jun. 28 - 6:59 pm et

As a Sonics fan I'm not happy.

How can they trade Allen, and let Lewis walk, picking up 2 SFs (if they get Green at 5)?

I'm just not seeing it.

Yea...I wouldnt trade Allen he is one of kind. His Shooting is crazy good. poor mavericks dont even have a first round pick! LAME

seems like it just went down

nope, not official. unless they're waiting to see who'll be available at #5. wrong pick if SEA goes after jeff green like what is rumored. are they planning on using durant at the 2? or jeff green at the 4?

i think both's natural position is at the 3.

I don't like this deal one bit for really either team.

i disagree, celts would win the deal. ray allen would be the type the celts need to keep PP.

rondo-allen-PP-jefferson-perkins

nice lineup, especially if rondo progresses like everybody thinks he will.

Well I just talked to some Boston fans of mine that grew up there and they say they don't like it because they don't think Allen, Jefferson, and Pierce will be able to share the ball well enough and they aren't convinced they have anyone capable of running the point full time. Allen is a legend in the area so maybe it can work out, but he is also climbing up there in age, we'll see.

As a Celts fan, I'm torn. Allen is a great perimter shooter. I don't know abut his defense. He's making a lot of money through 2010 and he's turning 32 on July 20th.

Seattle fans will loathe Szerbs but appreciate West. He's a very mature player for his age and experience, has experience at the 1 and 2 already, veru hard worker that does the little things that don't show up in the box scores. He was one of my favorite players.

allen doesnt need the ball all the time to be effective. hes one of the most efficient scorers in the league cuz he moves so well without the ball. C's need a shooter to spread the floor, ray-ray is exactly that. plus they reportedly get rid of wally szerbifkaflaaldfakeiopakk? thats a win-win

i guess it is official. the sonics management is totally inept. they are officially a minor league team.

Ray Allen now gets to play with Allan Ray.

Ray Allen now gets to play with Allan Ray.

haha sweet. i wonder if we'll ever see a 3 guard backcourt of allan ray, ray allen and tony allen.

I think this is a great trade for the Celts. This is a much needed veteran presence. Their luck had been HORRIBLE in the draft over the last 20 years. I think Allen is pretty close to a slam-dunk, sure-bet type guy who will contribute next season....why roll the dice again in the lottery on a guy who could go belly up.

Also, the celts would have been better last year if it were not for the injurys to Paul Pierce, as well as their late season tanking. Everyone is expecting things from Jefferson and Rondo next year - so there's a chance they can really compete in the weak Eastern this year.

I don't like this deal one bit for really either team.

i agree...Allen and Pierce is a really old combo

i agree...Allen and Pierce is a really old combo

you act like they're ancient. they'll still be in their physical primes for the next 2-3 maybe even 4 yrs. pierce wouldve prolly demanded a trade if they just used their pick on another youngster and kept him. the C's are extremely young but they got some nice pieces, now a mixture of veterans and youth, instead of a bunch of youngsters surrounding PP.

plus they get rid of wally derbayak?? i like it. wally world is expensive trash.

dont forget, they also got a nice trading piece in ratliff's expiring contract too which they managed to hold onto.

as a sixers fan, im glad to see this trade, because by the time the sixers are actually contenders again, ray allen won't have anything left.....

then again, oden and durant might have retired by then too....

I like this trade but do not love it. Short term it clearly makes us better. With a trio of scorers like we have now we will not have to worry about where we are going to get points from any night. Ray Allen is a great fit in Boston for our type of play, I wanted Marion more but he is a bitch and wouldn't come here. Ray will give Al the wing scorer to pass to when the double comes, it also gives Paul the wing scorer to kick it out to when he gets bottled up in the lane and gets rid of those 3-5 god awful prayers he throw up in the lane a night.

RA is 32 years old (on July 20th) and is prety injury prone himself. He is coming off of double ankle surgery. The thing is he does keep himself in great shape and will work hard to be on the floor to prove his naysayers wrong. He will be motivated to play out here seeing as it is somewhat of a homecoming as he played his college ball at UCONN. It did surprise me to see he poured in 26 PPG last season. The big question on offense now is, will there be enough shots to go around for PP, RA and AJ?

Another thing that makes so much sense about this trade is we did not mortgage our future on an aging vet. Not having to give up Al, Gerald or Rajon was a huge plus. I would have loved to keep the 5 and taken Yi, seeing as he would have been a very nice fit, but we didn't so time to move on. Another small ray of light from this trade is not giving up Theo's deal. DA now has an expiring deal at the end of this season or at any point now to swing another deal. As long as that deal is not involving AJ, GG or RR.

I must admit we did nothing to solve our defensive woes at all. This team was terrible at getting key stops and may have gotten worse now. We needed to adress that in round 2 and thought we would have taken Herbert Hill, Aaron gray, Josh McRoberts, Tiago Splitter or Marc Gasol to bolster the front line where we are very thin (in terms of depth) but we elected to take Gabe Pruitt and Glen Davis. Now Davis is a decent project to take on and I think Pruitt is very far away from being a contributor, almost at a stage like Gerlad was this past season, and he is not a PG which we could have used. Both should make the team this season. Allen Ray will most likely be gone or in the D-League.

I am not upset about losing Delonte seeing as I never liked him to begin with. I will miss Wally about as much as I miss having the FLU. Delonte was nothing and is nothing more than a good 6th man. He can come in for numerous spots, the point, off guard or the small foward and simply by moving some players around make the lineup work, he gives you flexibility. But we (the C's) saw him as a SG then a PG and then a SG again and then back to PG. Kinda glad to see him go actually now that I think about it more. Fans in Seattle I hope you do not expect anything from Wally seriously.  He is a joke.  And Jeff Green who knows what you got there.

We are a playoff team now for sure. Seems to me like a 4-6 seed in the East pending Danny's other moves. As long as it is not some panic move it will be fine.  For the simple reason we play in the JV league I mean the east.

i didnt hate danny ainge until he completey effed up this team with this draft....hes an idiot, why would we want a 32 yr old SG when we have 3 young SG that need playuing time to develop...what we need was a big man, even if it wasnt a jermaine oneal or a stud...draft Yi, but dont trade for another guy who needs to shoot 25 shots a game and doesnt help in any other area other than shooting which we already ahve pierce, green, gomes etc for

I am not upset about losing Delonte seeing as I never liked him to begin with. I will miss Wally about as much as I miss having the FLU. Delonte was nothing and is nothing more than a good 6th man. He can come in for numerous spots, the point, off guard or the small foward and simply by moving some players around make the lineup work, he gives you flexibility. But we (the C's) saw him as a SG then a PG and then a SG again and then back to PG. Kinda glad to see him go actually now that I think about it more. Fans in Seattle I hope you do not expect anything from Wally seriously. He is a joke. And Jeff Green who knows what you got there.

curious as why you wouldnt like delonte. i'd love to have that cat on my team. is he starting material on most teams? no. but hes a very valuable player. hes smart, efficient, can hit the open shot, is unselfish, can play multiple positions, great locker room guy, plays hard and is a good defender. whats not to like?

i didnt hate danny ainge until he completey effed up this team with this draft....hes an idiot, why would we want a 32 yr old SG when we have 3 young SG that need playuing time to develop...what we need was a big man, even if it wasnt a jermaine oneal or a stud...draft Yi, but dont trade for another guy who needs to shoot 25 shots a game and doesnt help in any other area other than shooting which we already ahve pierce, green, gomes etc for

how long do you wanna be a young, developing, LOSING team? if ainge didnt get ray-ray, yall wouldve been the WORST team in the league cuz you wouldve likely lost PP as well. at least they can compete this yr. why is not solving the C's defensive woes a major problem? they wanna play an uptempo suns style anyways. in order to play like that you need guys who can hit open shots, ray-ray is exactly that.

I like this trade but do not love it. Short term it clearly makes us better. With a trio of scorers like we have now we will not have to worry about where we are going to get points from any night. Ray Allen is a great fit in Boston for our type of play, I wanted Marion more but he is a bitch and wouldn't come here. Ray will give Al the wing scorer to pass to when the double comes, it also gives Paul the wing scorer to kick it out to when he gets bottled up in the lane and gets rid of those 3-5 god awful prayers he throw up in the lane a night.

RA is 32 years old (on July 20th) and is prety injury prone himself. He is coming off of double ankle surgery. The thing is he does keep himself in great shape and will work hard to be on the floor to prove his naysayers wrong. He will be motivated to play out here seeing as it is somewhat of a homecoming as he played his college ball at UCONN. It did surprise me to see he poured in 26 PPG last season. The big question on offense now is, will there be enough shots to go around for PP, RA and AJ?

Another thing that makes so much sense about this trade is we did not mortgage our future on an aging vet. Not having to give up Al, Gerald or Rajon was a huge plus. I would have loved to keep the 5 and taken Yi, seeing as he would have been a very nice fit, but we didn't so time to move on. Another small ray of light from this trade is not giving up Theo's deal. DA now has an expiring deal at the end of this season or at any point now to swing another deal. As long as that deal is not involving AJ, GG or RR.

I must admit we did nothing to solve our defensive woes at all. This team was terrible at getting key stops and may have gotten worse now. We needed to adress that in round 2 and thought we would have taken Herbert Hill, Aaron gray, Josh McRoberts, Tiago Splitter or Marc Gasol to bolster the front line where we are very thin (in terms of depth) but we elected to take Gabe Pruitt and Glen Davis. Now Davis is a decent project to take on and I think Pruitt is very far away from being a contributor, almost at a stage like Gerlad was this past season, and he is not a PG which we could have used. Both should make the team this season. Allen Ray will most likely be gone or in the D-League.

I am not upset about losing Delonte seeing as I never liked him to begin with. I will miss Wally about as much as I miss having the FLU. Delonte was nothing and is nothing more than a good 6th man. He can come in for numerous spots, the point, off guard or the small foward and simply by moving some players around make the lineup work, he gives you flexibility. But we (the C's) saw him as a SG then a PG and then a SG again and then back to PG. Kinda glad to see him go actually now that I think about it more. Fans in Seattle I hope you do not expect anything from Wally seriously. He is a joke. And Jeff Green who knows what you got there.

We are a playoff team now for sure. Seems to me like a 4-6 seed in the East pending Danny's other moves. As long as it is not some panic move it will be fine. For the simple reason we play in the JV league I mean the east.

Thank you, finally someone else with a brain realizes that this move makes us better. Even with Ray Allen, the Celtics still have one of the youngest teams in the league. Half the team is under 23 years old and a bunch aren't even old enough to drink (Rondo, Big Al, Gerald, Perkins, Allen Ray, and Leon Powe) are all under 23. That's 3 out of 5 starters under 23.

The other thing that I'm really confident in is that all the players on the team (Pierce included) will be in top shape and getting bigger and stronger. Bryan Doo and Walter Norton are the best Strength and conditioning coaches around.

curious as why you wouldnt like delonte. i'd love to have that cat on my team. is he starting material on most teams? no. but hes a very valuable player. hes smart, efficient, can hit the open shot, is unselfish, can play multiple positions, great locker room guy, plays hard and is a good defender. whats not to like?

Delonte does nothing great and everything merely average.  He was an ok shooter a average ball handler, terrible at making the correct pass and was a decent defender.  He was the Celtics version of Trot Nixon.  Everone loves him cause he plays hard and stuff.  I do not care how much of a Johnny Hustle you are.  I was thrilled to see him go.  I hated him at St. Joes and was furious when we drafted him.  Then the damn FO couldn't decide what he was.  First year he was a SG then the next year a PG then at the start of this season he was a SG again untill Telfair realized he was terrible so they moved him back to PG.  Like I said I am in no way upset to see Delonte go.  

We still need a vet PG and Brevin Knight just got released, DA better go get him right away.  I know DA has some type of move up his sleeve right now.  As long as he does not move any of, Rondo, Jefferson or Green I am cool.  I would like to see Gasol here for Gerlad and Theo and maybe Telfair or Tony Allen if thats enough.   

Like I stated before we are now better and we did not give up anything to get Ray.  We gave up an unsure 5th pick and a walking injury and a average NBA player.  The C's should score with anyone this season 104 PPG should be attainable.  But, the question is can we stop anyone from scoring 120?

Delonte does nothing great and everything merely average. He was an ok shooter a average ball handler, terrible at making the correct pass and was a decent defender. He was the Celtics version of Trot Nixon. Everone loves him cause he plays hard and stuff. I do not care how much of a Johnny Hustle you are. I was thrilled to see him go. I hated him at St. Joes and was furious when we drafted him. Then the damn FO couldn't decide what he was. First year he was a SG then the next year a PG then at the start of this season he was a SG again untill Telfair realized he was terrible so they moved him back to PG. Like I said I am in no way upset to see Delonte go.

We still need a vet PG and Brevin Knight just got released, DA better go get him right away. I know DA has some type of move up his sleeve right now. As long as he does not move any of, Rondo, Jefferson or Green I am cool. I would like to see Gasol here for Gerlad and Theo and maybe Telfair or Tony Allen if thats enough.

Like I stated before we are now better and we did not give up anything to get Ray. We gave up an unsure 5th pick and a walking injury and a average NBA player. The C's should score with anyone this season 104 PPG should be attainable. But, the question is can we stop anyone from scoring 120?

I agree but I actually think you're giving Delonte too much credit. He's an average at best ball handler, extremely poor decision maker, horrible shooter (he shoots lefty line drives) and he's got below average speed for someone his size.

Both West and Wally hurt the celtics more than they helped.

Who will average more points this year, Allen or Pierce? I'd probably go with Allen if you asked me, I think he will have more spot up jumpers with Jefferson in the middle. I think I'd pick Pierce over him though.