Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

rotoking07

J. Richardson traded to CHA

Rotoworld:

The Warriors' Jason Richardson appears to be going to the Bobcats for the rights to Brandan Wright.

The Bobcats would be getting a high-scoring, explosive veteran and giving up a possible future star. For a young team needing veteran leadership, this move could help the Bobcats get into the playoffs next season. Jun. 28 - 10:54 pm et

contrary to what the espn guys said, i like this deal for the bobcats. how many yrs can they pile young players and draft picks. they had no SG last yr now they do. they had no go to scorer, now they do. they already have a couple of young bigs. theyve already made the commitment to obtaining NBA ready college players, brandan wright does not fit the mold since he's more a project.

i guess this opens up the SG for monte ellis who gets a big boost in fantasy value. but overall, i dont like it for the warriors. they already have 2 big men projects in biedrins (far from polished) and o' bryant. why get another one?

im loving this deal. this is exactly what the Cats need to make a playoff run, provided they resign Wallace. Felton & J-Rich in the backcourt and a frontcourt of Morrison, Wallace & Okafor sounds good to me.

contrary to what the espn guys said, i like this deal for the bobcats. how many yrs can they pile young players and draft picks. they had no SG last yr now they do. they had no go to scorer, now they do. they already have a couple of young bigs. theyve already made the commitment to obtaining NBA ready college players, brandan wright does not fit the mold since he's more a project.

i guess this opens up the SG for monte ellis who gets a big boost in fantasy value. but overall, i dont like it for the warriors. they already have 2 big men projects in biedrins (far from polished) and o' bryant. why get another one?

because o'bryant was torched by some guy in the d-league. and the guy was drafted for mike montgomery's system, and not don nelsons. he can't run the floor well. wright is far from polished but i like his game. biedrins is a monster. also this clears up a LOAD of cap space for the warriors to resign biedrins and ellis in the next 2 years, and hopefully resign matt barnes now. and who knows? maybe they're working up pieces for a KG trade.

baron/belinelli

monta/azubuike

s-jax/barnes (hopefully)

baby al/wright

biedrins

that's what it looks like right now, but hopefully mullin and nelly will make some changes

I think it's one of the rare trades that actually helps both teams. 1) Richardson should be the Bobcats leading scorer next year. 2) Wright is going to be a guy that runs the floor and fits the Warrior system under Nellie, but also fits under most coaches. 3) Davidson gives the Bobcats another guy to throw down low along with Okafor and May. 4) As much as I agree that Charlotte is an expansion team (and therefore not expected to contend), I think they have the ability to give a pick away for an established veteran (not like Richardson is that old) and see if they can make the playoffs to get the young guys that experience.

Personally, I think the ESPN guys were totally irresponsible in their reporting of this trade. I'm not a fan of either team, but Charlotte is not going to become sudden contenders waiting on Felton and Okafor to become superstars. They had to do something to help the process along and Richardson along with the re-signing of Wallace (more likely in my opinion now) would make for a formidable starting 5. Felton, Richardson, Wallace, Hermann, Okafor with Knight and May coming off the bench is a team that has a legit chance at a playoff spot.

I think it's one of the rare trades that actually helps both teams. 1) Richardson should be the Bobcats leading scorer next year. 2) Wright is going to be a guy that runs the floor and fits the Warrior system under Nellie, but also fits under most coaches. 3) Davidson gives the Bobcats another guy to throw down low along with Okafor and May. 4) As much as I agree that Charlotte is an expansion team (and therefore not expected to contend), I think they have the ability to give a pick away for an established veteran (not like Richardson is that old) and see if they can make the playoffs to get the young guys that experience.

Personally, I think the ESPN guys were totally irresponsible in their reporting of this trade. I'm not a fan of either team, but Charlotte is not going to become sudden contenders waiting on Felton and Okafor to become superstars. They had to do something to help the process along and Richardson along with the re-signing of Wallace (more likely in my opinion now) would make for a formidable starting 5. Felton, Richardson, Wallace, Hermann, Okafor with Knight and May coming off the bench is a team that has a legit chance at a playoff spot.

i agree, stephen a. completely overreacted to the trade. what a surprise, that guys an idiot. i just dont like the fact that the warriors have so many projects on their hands.

CHA's situation is similar to the celtics situation. sooner or later you cant just keep stockpiling prospects, you have to win. in CHA, there's more urgency cuz theyre an expansion franchise struggling with attendance. you saw what happen to the last NBA franchise in charlotte that couldnt put butts in the seats, they left.

oh BTW, i like how you left off morrison from that list. i personally think the guy sucks. but they got alot invested in that guy. if wallace leaves, theyll definitely miss his energy, but they need players that can put the ball in the hole. JR, ammo, may and hermann off the bench can do that.

Rotoworld Headlines

With all the focus on Thursday's draft and trades, the deal that sent Jason Richardson to the Bobcats for Brandan Wright could have quietly created a fantasy windfall for Monta Ellis.

The Warriors drafted a shooting guard at No. 18 (Marco Belinelli), but part of the reason the team was able to lose Richardson is because Ellis, the reigning Most Improved Player, was waiting in the wings. Ellis' name has been in a lot of trade rumors, but now that Richardson's been dealt, he appears to be locked and loaded at the 2. Ellis' stock will continue to climb between now and your fantasy draft, and he could be worth as much as a third-round pick by October.

i like ellis too but i've also read rumors that the guy is an immature knucklehead and is fallling out of favor with the warrior brass. belinelli can play right away and they still have s-jax who can play shooting guard (literally B))

no way would i use a 3rd round pick on him.

i like ellis too but i've also read rumors that the guy is an immature knucklehead and is fallling out of favor with the warrior brass. belinelli can play right away and they still have s-jax who can play shooting guard (literally B) )

no way would i use a 3rd round pick on him.

I'm a big Ellis fan, too. Anyway, the key part of the headline is "by October" - Ellis could be worth as much as a third-round pick by October. :)

And S-Jax could also be in jail for yet to be committed crime by October. :lol:

another thing about the JR to CHA deal that yall have consider is that the warriors also received a 10 MIL dollar trade exception. that is HUGE, prolly the largest i've ever heard of. that basically puts them even deeper in the KG talks. thats a major bargaining chip and prolly tilts the trade in their favor, depending on how they use it. i didnt even take that into consideration when the trade went down last night.

O'bryant (2 million)

Ellis (0.75 million)

Foyle (8.1 million)

Jasicabbages (4 million)

Stephen Jackson (6.1 million)

and two 1st round draft picks

for

KG (21 million)

McCants (1.6 million)

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/features/trad...16~16~16~16~9~9

uh...why would the warriors include all those players if they have a 10 million dollar trade exception?

i agree, stephen a. completely overreacted to the trade. what a surprise, that guys an idiot. i just dont like the fact that the warriors have so many projects on their hands.

CHA's situation is similar to the celtics situation. sooner or later you cant just keep stockpiling prospects, you have to win. in CHA, there's more urgency cuz theyre an expansion franchise struggling with attendance. you saw what happen to the last NBA franchise in charlotte that couldnt put butts in the seats, they left.

oh BTW, i like how you left off morrison from that list. i personally think the guy sucks. but they got alot invested in that guy. if wallace leaves, theyll definitely miss his energy, but they need players that can put the ball in the hole. JR, ammo, may and hermann off the bench can do that.

Leaving Morrison off the list was more an oversight than anything. I don't think he's all that good right now, but he will be certain to get some good minutes whether he deserves them or not. Regardless this deal gives them a legit chance to make the back end of the playoffs in the East which would at least get people somewhat excited in Charlotte. I don't really see the point in continuing to put together a team of young guys with no veterans of consequence. It always looks good on paper, but how many times has it actually worked out and turned into a great team? I'd have been critical had they traded a sure thing pick, but Wright with all his potential is far from a sure star in the league.

As far as what this does to Ellis' value, I think it has to increase it at least a little with the guarantee of being out there 35+ minutes a night. I don't see him picking up a ton of assists in those extra minutes since Davis will likely be on the court for most of them, but his scoring, steals, etc. should all go up.

Because the trade exception can't be packaged with any players

yes it can, otherwise trade exceptions would be completely worthless.

yes it can, otherwise trade exceptions would be completely worthless.

You cannot combine it with other players in a trade, but you can trade it straight up for a player.

http://www.mercurynews.com/sports/ci_6269246

- they are free to absorb up to $10 million worth of excess salary in a future trade or trades completed before June 28, 2008 (assuming they don't stay under the salary cap, which is a safe bet).

That means the Warriors can ship out players worth $4 million and get back $9 million worth of talent in return, something ordinarily prohibited by salary-cap rules, and still have $5 million worth of the exception left to use in other deals.

The Warriors also could use the trade exception to sweeten the pot for a player worth more than $10 million, such as Garnett, who is scheduled to earn a league-high $22 million this season.

Nice article, that explains really well what the Warriors can do and what just can not do with their trade exception.

So they can not use it right away for Garnett or Kobe, but can use it on a separate transaction to absorb bad contracts from Minnesota or Lakers, so those teams could very well be interested on the overall fall of both trades (the one for the star and the one for the bad contracts).

Interesting stuff, really.

I think I understand the exception now, and I need to clarify what Gargz wrote before.

You can combine the trade exception with another player to acquire a more higher-paid player, but that player's salary must fit within the entire trade exception. For example, you can trade player A ($3m) and a portion of your $10m trade exception for player B ($9m). You can't trade player A ($3m) and your trade exception for player B ($13m). That's why this exception is not useful for acquiring players who make large salaries (like Garnett or other max players).

I think I understand the exception now, and I need to clarify what Gargz wrote before.

You can combine the trade exception with another player to acquire a more higher-paid player, but that player's salary must fit within the entire trade exception. For example, you can trade player A ($3m) and a portion of your $10m trade exception for player B ($9m). You can't trade player A ($3m) and your trade exception for player B ($13m). That's why this exception is not useful for acquiring players who make large salaries (like Garnett or other max players).

there are ways around that technicality. for instance, they can use their TE to acquire an asset that could then be used in a deal for KG. OR they could mask a giant transaction by using multiple transactions to get a deal done. GS would likely have to take back bad contracts, but the bottom line is that they could use their TE to get KG or other high salary players like him.

there are ways around that technicality. for instance, they can use their TE to acquire an asset that could then be used in a deal for KG. OR they could mask a giant transaction by using multiple transactions to get a deal done. GS would likely have to take back bad contracts, but the bottom line is that they could use their TE to get KG or other high salary players like him.

Right, but since you would actually have to get a player with that exception, you would need to

A ) find a player with an appropriate salary that a team would want to give you for nothing

B ) have that player actually be appealing to the T-Wolves

I mean, yeah, you could make the salaries work, but the T-Wolves aren't going to take on a $9m/year player for no reason if that guy is going to be on their books for years. And no team is going to trade you an expiring contract for nothing.

Right, but since you would actually have to get a player with that exception, you would need to

A ) find a player with an appropriate salary that a team would want to give you for nothing

B ) have that player actually be appealing to the T-Wolves

I mean, yeah, you could make the salaries work, but the T-Wolves aren't going to take on a $9m/year player for no reason if that guy is going to be on their books for years. And no team is going to trade you an expiring contract for nothing.

you're trying to make it sound impossible, when its actually very do-able. how bout:

-GS signs pietrus using mid level exception + trade exception + future 2nd to boston for theo ratliff + telfair

-GS could then (after 30 days i think) use ratliff in a deal to acquire KG

-ratliff is a very attractive asset, especially when combined with top prospects and draft picks cuz he's nearly 12 mill off the books after the 07-08 season. i think the t'wolves would prefer that over taking on a guy like adonal foyle's contract.