Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

cesquinho

Seattle's SF mess

Ok!

I'm probably missing something but i really don't understand how Seattle drafted a future star SF (Durant), traded their star SG (Ray Allen) for 2 SF (Green and Wally) and a combo G (West) and are still expected to resign their incumbent SF starter (Lewis) and are said to start 3 of them together (Durant, Lewis and Green)!!!

I find it hard to imagine that they are able to start Durant and Lewis together, but picking up Green and Wally on their way is impossible to understand to me, especially by giving away Ray Allen.

It was way more easier and logical in my mind that they kept Allen, trade Lewis via sign-and-trade to get some veteran help and used Durant as a full time starter at the SF spot.

Which will be their starting line-up now??

My guess:

Watson/Ridnour splitting time

D.West/Wally/D.Wilkins

Durant/Green

Lewis (if he resigns)/Collison

Wilcox/Swift

That's a very small line-up, and they will have to run a lot to compensate for their lack of rebounding power.

Honestly, i don't see this getting them closer to being a playoff team next year than they were last year, unless Durant carries the team beyond his already great hype.

Ok!

I'm probably missing something but i really don't understand how Seattle drafted a future star SF (Durant), traded their star SG (Ray Allen) for 2 SF (Green and Wally) and a combo G (West) and are still expected to resign their incumbent SF starter (Lewis) and are said to start 3 of them together (Durant, Lewis and Green)!!!

I find it hard to imagine that they are able to start Durant and Lewis together, but picking up Green and Wally on their way is impossible to understand to me, especially by giving away Ray Allen.

It was way more easier and logical in my mind that they kept Allen, trade Lewis via sign-and-trade to get some veteran help and used Durant as a full time starter at the SF spot.

Which will be their starting line-up now??

My guess:

Watson/Ridnour splitting time

D.West/Wally/D.Wilkins

Durant/Green

Lewis (if he resigns)/Collison

Wilcox/Swift

That's a very small line-up, and they will have to run a lot to compensate for their lack of rebounding power.

Honestly, i don't see this getting them closer to being a playoff team next year than they were last year, unless Durant carries the team beyond his already great hype.

No, I'm just as confused as you. If they'd taken Brewer with that 5th pick, I'd be more understanding. Ray Allen.. underappreciated until the end. He's got more than just two years left in him. He cleared up his ankle issues and his shooting won't go away with age. I don't like the move. With Durant added to Ray, they would have been potent. Now they're talking about keeping Rashard? I would have thought that this sealed the deal with Rashard leaving. Durant, Green, and Rashard are all 3's.

I'm confused. I love Durant and Green, but I don't know how they're going to mesh. Maybe there's another deal coming...

No, I'm just as confused as you. If they'd taken Brewer with that 5th pick, I'd be more understanding. Ray Allen.. underappreciated until the end. He's got more than just two years left in him. He cleared up his ankle issues and his shooting won't go away with age. I don't like the move. With Durant added to Ray, they would have been potent. Now they're talking about keeping Rashard? I would have thought that this sealed the deal with Rashard leaving. Durant, Green, and Rashard are all 3's.

I'm confused. I love Durant and Green, but I don't know how they're going to mesh. Maybe there's another deal coming...

on the telecast last night they said that they're trying to keep shard lewis now. they also said that they plan on playing shard, durant and green TOGETHER. i guess that means they'll be playing zone as their primary defense.

I'm no Sonics fan, but i hope something happens, too, because i am as confused as you.

on the telecast last night they said that they're trying to keep shard lewis now. they also said that they plan on playing shard, durant and green TOGETHER. i guess that means they'll be playing zone as their primary defense.

I find it hard to believe they are going to play all three together, really. I don't know much about Green, but all i've read keeps saying he's a pure SF, while Durant and Lewis could be described more as SF/PF, so ... who's going to defend the Kobe Bryants of the world (ok! there's only one Kobe, but there are a lot of quick SG who will get through any of the rookies before they can blink an eye).

I find hard to believe they are going to play all three together, really. I don't know much about Green, but all i've read keeps saying he's a pure SF, while Durant and Lewis could be described more as SF/PF, so ... who's going to defend the Kobe Bryants of the world (ok! there's only one Kobe, but there are a lot of quick SG who will get through any of the rookies before they can blink an eye).

nobody, they'll play a zone. the theory is to get the longest, most athletic players on the floor at once. durant, green and lewis might not have the footspeed to guard SG's 1-on-1 but they certainly have the length and athleticism to cover a lot of ground and get out on shooters in a zone.

I guess that must be what they're going to do - yeah, play a zone and then try to run everyone off the court. GS Warriors NW? It's going to be entertaining I guess...

I still think it's a longshot that they'll keep 'Shard anyway. I think Rashard wants to go to Orlando.

Interesting idea, that's for sure.

I will look forward for them to keep Shard so we could take a look at such scenario, really.

I think the Greeen pick was a little weird. I can easily see Durant and Lewis playing together. i imagine in a couple years that Durant will really end up being more of a PF than a SF. He really seems to have a solid mid-post type game. Rashard is really a 6'10" perimeter guy with only limited desire to rebound even during his contract year. I can see Seattle making a sign and trade with Lewis for a young scoring backcourt player. They need to clear up the mess that was their point guard situation but the draft wasn't going to do that for them with Conley going a pick earlier. I like Delonte but I don't think you can have a starting backcourt of Ridnour and West it is just too small.

Seattle really seems to be making the movement to youth. I think the blazers and sonics see that the west is getting older so they might as well be ready to pick up the pieces in a couple years.

It wouldn't surprise me to see the Sonics ship out Rashard in a sign-and-trade and get some frontcourt help. There's still an entire offseason of changes to be made. I could see Ridnour on the way out as well in a deal.

I would have preferred we gambled on Yi than taken Jeff Green, but that's just me. Rondo would have been a good coming back piece in that deal as well.

Durant could eventually turn into a small-ball 4 with Green at the 3 of the future. It's definitely gonna be interesting, and probably a mess.

It wouldn't surprise me to see the Sonics ship out Rashard in a sign-and-trade and get some frontcourt help. There's still an entire offseason of changes to be made. I could see Ridnour on the way out as well in a deal.

I would have preferred we gambled on Yi than taken Jeff Green, but that's just me. Rondo would have been a good coming back piece in that deal as well.

Durant could eventually turn into a small-ball 4 with Green at the 3 of the future. It's definitely gonna be interesting, and probably a mess.

Jeff Green is far more equipped to play the 4 than Durant. It's not all about height - but Jeff Green has good height anyway (6'9"). He's well built. Durant is a stick figure who would be punished by NBA PFs.

My guess is that Delonte West takes over the PG role... now i've heard rumors as well that they'll play all three of those SFs and I could potentially see that, but who knows, maybe a sign-and-trade with rashard for a beefy C... my guess as of right now:

PG West

SG Durant

SF Lewis

PF Green

C Collison/Wilcox (or maaaybe Swift or Petro depending on their progression this summer)

My guess is that Delonte West takes over the PG role... now i've heard rumors as well that they'll play all three of those SFs and I could potentially see that, but who knows, maybe a sign-and-trade with rashard for a beefy C... my guess as of right now:

PG West

SG Durant

SF Lewis

PF Green

C Collison/Wilcox (or maaaybe Swift or Petro depending on their progression this summer)

nah i think d-west will come off the bench to spell either backcourt position. even if they deal ridnour which has been the rumor, they still got earl watson.

I did a write-up on my blog about it... http://www.kyleegaas.com/?p=16

I'm going to assume that Rashard goes in a sign-and trade. Ridnour is probably on the way out, I assume another PG gets acquired to start in front of Earl Watkins, and Delonte West will play the 2.

Rashard could be moved for some bigman help or in the PG-incoming deal. I'm assuming (not based on anything really, just my personal bias) that there's about a 25% chance that Rashard actually puts on a Sonics uniform next year.

Starting on the speculation... Maybe a sign-and-trade with Orlando sending Darko to Seattle could make some sense for both teams. Darko would get 30 mins a night and his fantasy value would take a huge boost.

Just for the record, Delonte West cannot play SG. He's an awful shooter.

Just for the record, Delonte West cannot play SG. He's an awful shooter.

you're assessment of west is too harsh IMO. he was banged up last yr, played through nagging injuries and had a down shooting yr but he certainly has a nice stroke. 05-06 his shooting line was 49 %FG/85% FT/39% 3PT. thats way above average expecially for a PG where his attempts were limited. i wouldve loved to have him on the bulls. hes a system player who doesnt force anything, stays within hisself, swings the ball, plays hard and is very good defensively. id certainly rather have him over a guy like telfair who cant think on his feet. delonte is the perfect 3rd guard. he might only be 6'4 but he can definitely check 2 guards cuz of his length and instincts.