Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

cesquinho

Steve Francis to be bought out?

Oregonian is reporting that Steve Francis contract could be bought out by the Blazers so he will never play for them.

That would be interesting, but also could raise some eyebrows since then the Blazers would have traded Randolph away just for Channing Frye and a big pile of money to be paid to Francis.

By the way, it looks like James Jones was included in the deal which the Blazers got Rudy Fernandez, too.

Not a bad draft for them, after all.

is it me or did it seem like the blazers acquired like 23984294 players last night. seemed like late 1st round/ early 2nd, every other pick was a blazer pick. WTH hell are they gonna do with all those players?

Oregonian is reporting that Steve Francis contract could be bought out by the Blazers so he will never play for them.

That would be interesting, but also could raise some eyebrows since then the Blazers would have traded Randolph away just for Channing Frye and a big pile of money to be paid to Francis.

By the way, it looks like James Jones was included in the deal which the Blazers got Rudy Fernandez, too.

Not a bad draft for them, after all.

I guess Paul Allen is interested in the team again. He just paid through the nose just to clear cap space in two years. I mean.. PAID for that!

Still, they could have gotten a better deal. They had all summer to find a way to move Randolph for a useful guy, and one that would still probably free up cap room in a couple years. Unless they know some secret about Frye, I don't like it. I think they were way too worried about Randolph even meeting Oden at all.

paul allen certainly has the money to buy franchise out. looks like hes doing all he can to right the ship and finally put the blazers on the road to respectability. all they'd have to do is buy out darius miles, then theyre on their way.

I think they were way too worried about Randolph even meeting Oden at all.

Very, very good one, Jet!!!

It sounds like Rudy Fernandez and Koppenen will stay in Europe. I love to see Allen's money being spent by Pritchard and rather than Trader Bob. The hope here is that Miles will sign a retirement waiver. He would get his money but end up off the salary cap.

It sounds like Rudy Fernandez and Koppenen will stay in Europe.

I really don't know about Koponen, but Rudy is NBA-ready.

The main problem is he's about done with his club right now. For what i know he has a big buyout clause to leave. Too big for the NBA teams to pay, but not big enough for a powerhouse such as F.C.Barcelona from Spain to pay. If he signs a new contract for Barcelona, you can bet his new club would include a huge buyout clause to make sure he doesn't leave.

I would say that the best scenario for him going to the NBA is Portland negotiating with Joventut (his club now) and paying through Rudy in a few years, or him waiting this year and joining next, which i don't see happening, but i could be wrong.

As i said, the main problem is that if the Blazers opt to let him in Europe he could sign a huge contract with Barcelona which would prevent him to go to the NBA in a few years.

I really don't know about Koponen, but Rudy is NBA-ready.

The main problem is he's about done with his club right now. For what i know he has a big buyout clause to leave. Too big for the NBA teams to pay, but not big enough for a powerhouse such as F.C.Barcelona from Spain to pay. If he signs a new contract for Barcelona, you can bet his new club would include a huge buyout clause to make sure he doesn't leave.

I would say that the best scenario for him going to the NBA is Portland negotiating with Joventut (his club now) and paying through Rudy in a few years, or him waiting this year and joining next, which i don't see happening, but i could be wrong.

As i said, the main problem is that if the Blazers opt to let him in Europe he could sign a huge contract with Barcelona which would prevent him to go to the NBA in a few years.

thats the problem with drafting international players, especially if you take em that low in the first round. theres little incentive for them to play in the NBA if they can receive contracts larger than NBA rookie contracts. few european teams can do that, but they are stepping up their game in terms of trying to keep their players.

BTW, i seen rudy on a number of occasions and i love his game.

So he is going to be bought out in the next few days. Clippers are said to be very interested, who else would be?

milwaukee, seattle maybe. might be a stretch but he could be a decent fit for phoenix, they need a back-up PG. miami and the lakers need a PG.

francis sucks though, i dunno why anyone would want him.

Lakers need to take a chance on him. He's still talented...maybe Phil Jackson can acutally coach him..

Lakers need to take a chance on him. He's still talented...maybe Phil Jackson can acutally coach him..

Yes! As I hate both Francis and the Lakers, it would be perfect if he went there.

Seriously, I don't want Francis on the Blazers. He's just going to retard the growth of Jack, Roy, Sergio Rodriguez, and the rest of the guards. I really think the Blazers are going to be fine with Brandon Roy. That dude is already playing like a vet.

It's been quiet on this front lately, and I wonder if the poor play of Rodriguez and Webster in the Blazers summer league games has them thinking about actually keeping Francis this year. I sure hope not...

is it me or did it seem like the blazers acquired like 23984294 players last night. seemed like late 1st round/ early 2nd, every other pick was a blazer pick. WTH hell are they gonna do with all those players?

I think the International guys are just going to be kept stashed overseas. I actually wish they had traded some of those picks for future 2nd rounders. I'm afraid they'll keep McRoberts this year and leave Joel Freeland (last year's draft) overseas, and Freeland looks better than McRoberts right now.

Even with the guys overseas, they don't really have room for everyone right now. I think a 2:1 trade might be coming soon.

Holy crap... done deal, and he got 30 of the 34 million in the buyout. He gets fat jack from Paul Allen for doing nothing for Portland, what a frickin' rip off.

Bad, bad, bad trade... yuck.

Now Francis might as well go play for San Antonio. He can make 10 cents a season for two years and still get paid more than only a handful of players in the entire league.

I feel sick right now.

-Jet out

I agree with you Jet ... 30M$ for doing nothing is an amazing deal, really.

Anyway, i think this is great news for Portland youngsters, especially Brandon Roy and the PGs (Jack and Rodriguez).

This really is a new era for the Blazers. If they only managed to get Darius Miles retired, the locker room cleaning work would be completed.

No signs of the Jail Blazers around, already, and a team that can make the city dream of several years of playoff pushes ... good job by Kevin Pritchard.

Holy crap... done deal, and he got 30 of the 34 million in the buyout. He gets fat jack from Paul Allen for doing nothing for Portland, what a frickin' rip off.

Bad, bad, bad trade... yuck.

Now Francis might as well go play for San Antonio. He can make 10 cents a season for two years and still get paid more than only a handful of players in the entire league.

I feel sick right now.

-Jet out

dunno why you're surprised, francis being bought out was a foregone conclusion. yeah the blazers couldve gotten way more than what they did. but maybe we overrated randolphs value. yes hes a 20-10 guy, but he's a black hole on offense, doesnt block shots, is a terrible defender, and hes got all that baggage. how will his knees hold-up for the duration of his contract after having microfracture surgery? could be that his value just wasnt that great in a trade market. maybe they couldve gotten a richard jefferson type player (wouldve been a great deal for both sides) if they were more patient, but if you look at every position on the blazers, they are grooming a youngster at every spot. sergio @ PG ( dont think much of jack), b. roy at the 2, webster at the 3 (dont think much of him neither) then aldridge and oden. can they really afford to acquire a star who would block their youngster and stunt their growth?

definitely not a good trade talent-wise, but i just look at it in terms of the blazers freeing up capspace after '09 (as opposed to waiting for another big contract to expire), paving the way for their future and getting rid of z-bo, which they thought was necessary for the development of aldridge and oden. the move just fits their timeline as they'll take a couple more yrs to gel and develop, acquiring more assets in the meantime, then they'll either be able to add a star or use the money to retain their own players in '09.

I agree Gargz.

I only think they could have gotten a starter-caliber SF. Maybe Richard Jefferson, as you pointed. I think they are covered with promising youngsters at PG, SG, PF and C positions, so getting a veteran SF to help them grow would have been a good idea.

Anyway, with an owner not worried of burying 30M$ for freeing the franchise some cap space to resign Roy, Aldridge and Oden in the future and cleaning the locker room all at once is a great advantage for the GM, no doubt about it.

They pretty sure look promising, now. Good job, Kevin Pritchard and Paul Allen.