Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rusty Barr

New NHL Keeper league on CBS Sportsline. H2H. $50

OK. I have decided to form a brand new 12 team NHL Head to Head Keeper league on CBS Sportsline. I currently run one 12 team keeper fantasy football league. That one's been going strong since 1992. I also run one 12 team keeper fantasy baseball league. Also going strong. I only say that so you know I am not a rookie at running successful long term keeper leagues or leagues on CBS Sportsline. I have always been an NHL fan. I am 47 years old. 3 kids. Family man. I live in South Carolina USA. If you would like references, I can give you an email address for 11 guys from the baseball league or 11 guys from the football league I currently run. All can vouch for my integrity and my ability in running a great league. Actually several spots in this new league are already taken by some of them crossing over to play here with us as well. You can also look at my EBAY account if you want to. My user ID is franco8308 at EBAY and you will see that I have a 100% rating and I have bought and sold 347 items to date. I know there are a lot of scammers out there. I am not one of them. I also have a PayPal account that I run the league money from.From my past experience, one of the hardest parts of running successful keeper/dynasty leagues, is not getting guys to join the league when it is brand new. Its getting GM's to stay and not just play for the current season, but to manage their team for the long run. The key is finding GMs that are going to dedicate themselves to playing in the league for many seasons. One of the ways I have found that greatly reduces the GM turnover, is to always take a deposit up front, for the NEXT season always on the front side BEFORE the prior season. So, in this case, as in the baseball and football leagues, each season you will be putting $50 into the pot. BTW, I take nothing for running the league. All the money goes into the pot and gets paid out at season's end. This is a labor of love for me. OK, anyway, each season you put $50 into the pot. But before Season 1, you will actually be putting in $50 into that season's pot, and you will also need to pay a $50 DEPOSIT down payment on Season 2's pot. Now each future year, Before Season 2, or any "next" season, you will have to only pony up $50, but that money will go into the Season 3 pot. Essentially in all future seasons, the $50 you put into the pot, that is actually your deposit on the following season, since you already paid that season's entrance fee before the prior season. If guys quit, they forfeit their future season deposit money and don't get that back. Well, for this key reason I believe, we have hardly ANY turnover in the other two keeper leagues I run. I guess GM's knowing they have already paid for the NEXT season in advance, it keeps everyone glued to the future as well as the present. Trust me this system works. So, just so you know, up front: Before Season 1 starts, you will have to send me $50 for Season 1, plus a $50 deposit for Season 2, plus we all split the CBS fee equally, which is $13. ($150 divided by 12). So, just so there are no surprises, before this first season kicks off, everyone will need to send me, $50 + $50 + $13 = $113. Then before Season 2 and all following seasons it will just be the $50 for the following season down payment plus the $13 CBS fee = $63. Just wanted to get all of that out of the way right up front.***

***OK. Here are more League Rule details. This will be a head to head league. This is not a roto or points league. Each week you will only play one other team. You be awarded wins and losses each week based on your winning categories. The 10 stat categories are pretty standard: Goals, Assists, Points, Plus/Minus, Power Play Points, PIM and Penalty Minutes; for Goalies: Wins, Save Percentage, Goals against average, Shutouts. 5 minimum goalie starts per team per week.So, in a given week, you may go 6-3-1. The next week, you may go 4-5-1. After two weeks your record might then be 10-8-2. At the end of our regular season the top 6 teams out of 12 will make the playoffs. The draft will be Sunday afternoon September 27th at 5 pm east coast time in the CBS Draft Room on line. Each week you will start 3 C, 3 RW, 3 LW, 5 D, 1 Util, and 2 G. 10 man bench, any position.Now for the keeper part: In future seasons you will be able to keep any 5 F's, 3 D and 1 G of your choice PLUS any 3 "Under 23's". A total of 12 keepers from season to season. The players that are not on any keeper list will be in that season's draft. The way we define an "Under 23" for our keeper rules is as follows: Every September 15th before our annual draft you will have to make your keeper cuts. The 3 keeper "Under 23's" must all be 23 or younger during that calendar year. So, for example, lets say it is September of 2010. (Next year). To figure out if a player is eligible to be kept as one of your "Under 23's", you take the year of our draft, 2010 in this example, then you subtract 23 from that, which is 1987. So, 1987 is the magic number for the 2010 "Under 23" keeper list. All "Under 23's" must be born in 1987 (according to the CBS Sportsline data base) or born after 1987 to qualify as one of your 3 "Under 23" keepers. It sounds kind of complicated, but its really very simple. So, for season 2011, all "Under 23" keepers would have to have been born in 1988 or after that year 1988. Got it? Your other 9 keepers can be born any year. And again you get to keep 5 F's, 3 D and 1 G there. Its a total of 12 keepers. This is not a dynasty league where you keep your entire roster from season to season.***Obviously we will have a more detailed rule book. But I just wanted to cover the basics here.The first 12 GM's that pay up will be in. If you are interested in getting one of the 12 franchises email me at chrisfranco@sc.rr.com and we will go from there.Thank you. Best, Chris.***

Top 3 teams win money. Pot = $600. First Place $300. Second Place $200. Third Place $100.

Its a set your lineup once a week league. PIM is penalty minutes. Its one category. I actually think PIM stands for Penalty Infraction Minutes. There will be a trade veto rule. A two day vote period. If GMs don't vote that's a "yes". TRADES:

Unlimited. Free. No max.

To minimize the possibility of collusion, trading allowed, but will be subject to passing a league vote. Trades are subject to a 2-day voting period, where at most 5 objections are allowed. Trades receiving more than 5 objections are sent to the commissioner.

As this is a keeper league it is expected that there will be numerous trades involving top now talent for young talent and prospects. It is asked that you reserve your veto for those trades that seem to involve collusion or are grossly disproportionate. You need to keep all players on your roster at all times to "own" them. Only players in the CBS data base can be on a roster. Thus, only players signed to NHL contracts are included. Players in the NHL or in the NHL minor league system. If there is some hot shot prospect that is the next Bobby Hull, lets say the guy is playing in Russia, but he has not been drafted into the real NHL yet, then he is not available to be on own of our rosters at that time. Players drafted in the real NHL draft each year will be a part of the next season's draft of ours in late September that year, right before that next season. Thus, they'll always be great stuff in our draft every late September guaranteed. Minimally all the hot top just drafted prospects will be there for that draft, plus all the non kept players. Again, its a keeper league and not a dynasty league.

A little bit more about how our playoffs will work... PLAYOFFS:

The Top 5 teams by Overall H2H Win/Loss/Tie Winning Percentage at end of our regular season make the playoffs as Playoff Seeds 1 through 5.

Seed 6 is awarded to the Highest Ranked team in the POWER RANKINGS not already having one of the top 5 seeds as above. The Power Rankings can be found under Standings on the CBS Sportsline league home page. An explanation of what determines the Power Rankings can be found there as well. This rule protects the GM who consistently has good scoring weeks, but through just plain bad luck always seems to play the hot teams H2H continually throughout the season.

Winning percentage 1 through 5 seed ties will be broken by overall combined H2H results; not adding the stats, but the results; so if Team A and Team B ends the regular season with the same winning pct, and the first time they played, Team A beat Team B (5-3-2) and the second time they played Team B beat Team A (6-2-2); then Team B gets the seed based on an overall H2H record of 9-7-4 against Team A.

The playoff bracket will be formatted like this:

Winners Bracket

6 Teams

Playoff Week 1 (Period 23)

Bye - First Place and Second Place

Third Place vs. Sixth Place

Fourth Place vs. Fifth Place

Playoff Week 2 (Period 24)

B3 First Place vs. Lowest Seed winner

B4 Second Place vs. other winner

Playoff Week 3 & 4 (Period 25 & 26)*

Championship Game - Winner of B3 vs. Winner of B4

Third Place Prize Game: Loser of B3 vs. Loser of B4

*Stats combined manually for one 5 x 5 result in each playoff

We allow lineup changes between playoff rounds, and during the 2 week Period 25 & 26.

Playoff Tie Breaker: Higher seeded team - I may have the "Period Weeks" numbered incorrectly, but you get the idea. The last real life NHL regular season week will actually be our Period 26 in the example above. I copy and pasted this section from the baseball league I run. Best Chris -

Regarding keepers, you are required to keep the 9 and 3 each year. If your 12 are better than my 12, well, you earned that advantage. You can keep less than 12 but you will receive no draft pick compensation or any compensation for doing so, so you might as well keep your best 12.If you don't have 3 "Under 23's" to keep? Oh well, your loss. Make sure you have at least 3 on your roster when the season ends. Absolutely no trading of draft picks. The trade deadline each season is midnight March 15th. Best, Chris -

I am adding to this thread with answers to questions that people are emailing me with. Hope this helps you and maybe encourages you to want to join us.

Right now I have 6 "verbals". That is we have 5 GM's from the football and baseball leagues I run....guys saying they are going to play. These guys have been very reliable in the past, but, no they have not paid yet.

I also have 1 verbal from a guy via the forum. Someone I have no experience with.

But, in terms of "locked in and paid their money"? We have only one right now, and that is me.

I'll update the thread as we go. But right now, we've got 11 spots open.

Paid locks in your franchise spot. Verbals to me, dont count.

You can use PayPal or mail me a check.

My PayPal account is NOT at chrisfranco@sc.rr.com. That is my email for communication. If you want to PayPal me the money please email me first and I will give you my PayPal email. If you want to mail me a check or a money order, that is OK too. Again, email me at chrisfranco@sc.rr.com and I will email you my mailing address.

Best,

Chris

-

We're gonna go with a 13 man bench.

The draft will be 30 rounds.

We dont want too many good solid players hanging out there on the free agent wire. I have been in leagues like that. No trades = No fun. Why trade when you can just pick up a solid free FA at no cost off the waiver wire?

We want a deep league. This also rewards those who dig deep and do their homework. The strong bench can help seperate the top GM's from the bottom one's and we want that.

-

In a Head-to-Head League, your team will square off in a weekly matchup against another manager's to see who can compile the best stats across a number of different categories.

A new weekly matchup begins every Monday and will consist of a set number of games based on your league's statistical categories.

Each stat category counts as one game, with the win going to the team with the highest total in that category.

So, if in a given week, your team scores more goals than your opponent's, you would be credited with a victory. However, if your opponent's team ended the week with a better save percentage than your team, you would be charged with a loss. If the two teams end up tied in a given category, each will receive credit for a tied game.

This weekly win-loss total will be added to a cumulative season record where each win counts for two points, each tie counts for one and each loss counts for none. The total of these points will be used to determine standings.

Week 1 you may go 6-3-1

Week 2 you may go 3-6-1

So, in the standings after 2 weeks you would be 9-9-2...etc.

-

Email to me...

"Hi,

I saw your message for your new league. I might be interested. I've run single season leagues for friends on Sportsline for the past few years, but am looking to get into a deeper keeper league.

Just a few concerns/suggestions:

You currently have 6 skater categories and 4 goalie categories. I think having goalies accounting for 40% of the scoring is too high. I also agree with another poster that having 5 starts required per week is too high.

We use few a Custom Goalie Categories that combine some things, and they seem to work:

1) Saves-(GAx8) The breakeven point is a .889 save %, which is below league average, but not enough to make the category dependent on who simply plays the most. It rewards goalies who play a lot, but also play well. You wouldn't need to set a weekly minimum for games played.

2) (Wins*2)+Shutouts-Losses (Combines your Wins and Shutouts categories. I think you'd have too many ties if shutouts are left as a category on their own.)

Again, these are just suggestions. Everything else I like about your structure."

My reply...

Thanks for the email. Good stuff.

This is only a $50 a year league. Don't want to sound like that is not a lot of money, but, its really not if you divide it out over the course of a season. The stat categories you suggest sound great. But, I don't want things being too complicated here. The NFL league I run at $150 a season is VERY, (probably too) complicated. We have stat point computations that are unique and remind me of what you are suggesting here for hockey. But this is a $50 league, so I went with the basic categories found at a typical Yahoo head to head default free league. The idea is that information on who to draft (cheetsheets) should be VERY easy to find each year, and when listening to talk shows or searching the web about fantasy hockey, most of the casual leagues will also being playing the same format as us, so your brain wont have to fry, trying to figure out how to take the information they are talking about, and then you have to spin it into information you can use and apply it to our format. That is what happens in the NFL and MLB league I run. LOL.

You do make a great point, about 60/40....I may add one more skater category, to make it 7 to 4. If I did, it would be "player shots on goal". We will vote on that later once we fill up and see what everyone wants to do there. I was on the fence when deciding what to do, categories wise on that one, and then said, "ah, lets just go with the basic Yahoo 10 categories". But I am open to change that if the majority of the if the paid GMs want to do that.

I'm 46, going to be 47. If there is one thing I have learned about fantasy leagues, its really best to KISS. That is "Keep it simple stupid". LOL. I wish I could change the NFL league now, but its too late. I guess its OK, because, again, its $150 a year there. So, to put the time in and win a lot of money is kind of cool.

Anyway, I really appreciate the email....and....

I think our keeper rules will be challenging enough and will add enough of a twist as to keep the more advanced GM excited about what we are doing in our league.

Oh, BTW, elsewhere in the thread, I did agree with your suggestion, (made by someone else as well), and we are going with 3 goalie starts min a week.

Would love to have you join us

Best,

Chris

-

We have a free private league forum set up. And the guys who have paid so far have proposed the following change to the 10 categories we are going to use. After much discussion, It looks like this is what we are going to go with:

SKATERS

1) Goals (G)

2) Assists (A)

3) Points

4) Plus/Minus (+/-)

5) Penalty Minutes (PIM)

6) SPECTM Special Teams

(PPG+PPA+(SHG*2)+(SHA*2))

7) Hits

8) Blocks

GOALIES

1) SAVEPT SAVE POINTS (S-(GA*8))

2) Goals Against Average (GAA)

We also will not have any min or max team goalie starts.

If you want to play, please let me know right away. Only 8 spots left and I have about 12 guys emailing me saying they want one of those 8 spots.

chrisfranco@sc.rr.com is my email

Questions? Let me know.

Best,

Chris

-

Now it's:

SKATERS

1) Goals (G)

2) Assists (A)

3) Points

4) Plus/Minus (+/-)

5) Penalty Minutes (PIM)

6) SPECTM Special Teams

7) (Hits+Blocks)

GOALIES

3) GPTS Goalie Points (2*W - L)

Here is where we are at right now:

SKATERS

1) Goals (G)

2) Assists (A)

3) Points

4) Plus/Minus (+/-)

5) Penalty Minutes (PIM)

6) SPECTM Special Teams

7) (Hits+Blocks)

GOALIES

3) GDEC Goalie Decisions ((2*W)+SO-L)

-

The latest:

SKATERS

1) Goals (G)

2) Assists (A)

3) Points

4) Plus/Minus (+/-)

5) Penalty Minutes (PIM)

6) SPECTM Special Teams

7) (Hits+Blocks)

GOALIES

3) 2W Two Times Wins + Shutouts ((2 * W) + SO)

-

We have our own private league forum set up

If you want to check that out... shoot me an email and I will email you back with the link

If you are interested in joining this league and you have questions about it, you may find the answers there.

chrisfranco@sc.rr.com

After much discussion, It looks like this is what we are going to go with:

Here is where we are at right now:

SKATERS

1) Goals (G)

2) Assists (A)

3) Points

4) Plus/Minus (+/-)

5) Penalty Minutes (PIM)

6) SPECTM Special Teams

7) (Hits+Blocks)

GOALIES

2) (minutes/20)-GA

3) 2W Two Times Wins + Shutouts ((2 * W) + SO)

-

-

The Save Points and Periods-GA categories mimic the Save% and Goals Against Average categories many leagues use. They're designed to reward goalies that play well and play often, and they discourage the practice of sitting goalies to preserve a percentage or average.

Best,

Chris

-