Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Vriez

Julio Teheran SP ATL

96 posts in this topic

Its only a few starts, but Julio Teheran is starting to pitch like Scouts expected. Back in 2007, Teheran was the top International pitching signing (out of Colombia). The Braves were raving about the kid (then 16) who could already hit the low 90s with solid command and improving secondary offerings. He came into 2007 hitting 94 as a 17 year old and drawing King Felix comparisons. He quickly got eaten up at Danville, posting a 6.60era, 1.46 whip, and 1-2 record in only 15 innings (though posting an impressive 17/4 k/bb) before getting shutdown with minor shoulder pain. From everything I can find, it was minor shoulder tendinitis and Braves Brass didnt want to risk further injuring their young investment. After the poor 2008 showing in Rookie Ball, he was quickly forgotten everywhere except Braves circles.

I bought into the hype on Braves boards (not an Atlanta fan...just doing research). Everybody that has actually seen the kid pitch just raves about his stuff, command, and presence. Hes gotten more innings in than it seems between Extended Spring Training and Instructional Leagues and he's now currently 5 starts into his 18yr-old 2009 Rookie Ball season with Danville. He's been pretty solid...including a dominating performance last night:

June 23: 3.1ip, 2er, 5h, 0hr, 5k, 0bb (low pitch count to start season)

June 28: 5.0ip, 1er, 2h, 0hr, 3k, 1bb

July 3: 7.0ip, 1er, 8h, 0hr, 5k, 1bb

July 8: 7.1ip, 2er, 8h, 0hr, 3k, 1bb

July 13: 8.0ip, 1er, 4h, 1hr, 8k, 1bb

Sure, its not completely dominating, but I think its worth noting. Another once top prospect that has flown under the radar a bit. 18yr olds who sit at 94-97 with a plus curve, improving change, and solid command arent necessarily a dime a dozen.

Just thought I'd give those in deeper dynasties a bit of a heads up. Put him on your tracker, anyways.

After a mediocre performance last week, he absolutely shutdown dominated tonight:

8ip, 1er, 2h, 1bb, 11ks

Still in Rookie Ball....but Im starting to get a little excited about my final pick in a deep MiLB draft this year.

Couldnt find a more updated Teheran Thread than my original, but Julio has been absolutely stellar so far this year.

He started the year at Rome in A ball, compiling the following:

39.1ip, 45/10 K/BB, 1.14era, .83whip, 1 HR allowed, 2.66 FIP

That got him a promotion to High A late last week. He made his first start tonight as the second youngest player in A+:

7ip, 1er, 4h, 2bb, 12so

Julio Teheran will end the year as a top 10 MiLB pitching prospect. I'd say top 5 (which I truly believe is possible)...but I'm afraid ya'll would call me crazy.

Couldnt find a more updated Teheran Thread than my original, but Julio has been absolutely stellar so far this year.

He started the year at Rome in A ball, compiling the following:

39.1ip, 45/10 K/BB, 1.14era, .83whip, 1 HR allowed, 2.66 FIP

That got him a promotion to High A late last week. He made his first start tonight as the second youngest player in A+:

7ip, 1er, 4h, 2bb, 12so

Julio Teheran will end the year as a top 10 MiLB pitching prospect. I'd say top 5 (which I truly believe is possible)...but I'm afraid ya'll would call me crazy.

Actually I’d call you quite smart, not enough people are talking about this stud. This kid could be the next King Felix, he is a GEM.

Its goin to be hard to keep this this guy under the radar with his numbers hes putting up. By the time he's ready to come up in 2 or 3 years he should be one of the top 3 pitching prospects in baseball. I would rather have Teheran than Chapman but thats my opinion.

Made his second start in High A last night. He didn't generate his normal K numbers, but it was impressive all the same:

6ip, 0r, 0er, 4h, 2bb, 2k

He's let up 8 hits in 13 A+ innings thus far. For the season, Teheran has allowed just six runs in nine starts for Rome and Myrtle Beach. He has held opponents to just a .169 average and has more than four strikeouts for every walk he's allowed.

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/news/ar...b&fext=.jsp

As soon as Vizcaino gets the promotion, Myrtle Beach will have one hell of a top 3:

Teheran

Delgado

Vizcaino

Its goin to be hard to keep this this guy under the radar with his numbers hes putting up. By the time he's ready to come up in 2 or 3 years he should be one of the top 3 pitching prospects in baseball. I would rather have Teheran than Chapman but thats my opinion.

Woah... going a bit too far there. Teheran has yet to pitch above High-A. But I hope you're right as I am a Braves fan as well. B)

Another strong performance. He's dominating A+ right now.

8 IP 6 Hits 0 Runs 12 Ks (Against the top team in their league).

Will he sniff AA this year? What is his ETA if he continues to progress?

I thinking late 2011.

Another strong performance. He's dominating A+ right now.

8 IP 6 Hits 0 Runs 12 Ks (Against the top team in their league).

Will he sniff AA this year? What is his ETA if he continues to progress?

I thinking late 2011.

Damn, you beat me to it by a mere 5 minutes. I was just posting in my dynasty chat about today's start. And, First Inning may be wrong, but it has him at 14 Ks, not 12.

You're right. It was 14 Ks not 12. I'm unable to edit the message for some reason.

Even more impressive, he struck out the last three batters he faced.

You're right. It was 14 Ks not 12. I'm unable to edit the message for some reason.

Even more impressive, he struck out the last three batters he faced.

i know there are scouting reports from last year, and prior... but does anyone know how he is throwing the ball so far? i know he could touch mid to high 90's before, but has that increased as he has gotten a year+ older and i'm assuming having his body further mature?

maybe it's just cause i don't know... but i would actually be generally interested to see when it is a pitcher makes the biggest increase in velocity age wise. obviously a lot of that comes down to mechanics and coaching, but there still has to be some variance based on getting older, no?

i know there are scouting reports from last year, and prior... but does anyone know how he is throwing the ball so far? i know he could touch mid to high 90's before, but has that increased as he has gotten a year+ older and i'm assuming having his body further mature?

maybe it's just cause i don't know... but i would actually be generally interested to see when it is a pitcher makes the biggest increase in velocity age wise. obviously a lot of that comes down to mechanics and coaching, but there still has to be some variance based on getting older, no?

Reports that I've heard have him sitting at 91-93 and hitting 96-97 when he reaches back. He's got a lot of late life and solid command. He's been using his hook (79-81) as his strikeout pitch, but flashing a plus changeup a handful of times a game. I usually check out the daily thread on minorleagueball.com (John Sickels' site) and somebody was present for yesterdays game. They even posted his bullpen session from before the game:

http://www.minorleagueball.com/2010/5/31/1494803/5-31-milb

7 IP of shutout baseball with 12 K's in his last start this past Wednesday.

Now that Strasburg is in MLB he's positioning himself as the best pitching prospect in the minors and a top #3 prospect going into next season.

7 IP of shutout baseball with 12 K's in his last start this past Wednesday.

Now that Strasburg is in MLB he's positioning himself as the best pitching prospect in the minors and a top #3 prospect going into next season.

Agreed..he's leading all the minors in era and is second in K's. Remember the name.

Honestly, what will it take to give this guy the credit he deserves?

1.26ERA, 78IP, 54H, 2HR, 17BB, 94K for the season( 39IP in A, 39 IP in AA) as a 19 year old

Just went 7, K'd 12 and allowed only 4 baserunners on the 16th. There isn't a pitcher in the minors i'd take over this kid, 3 plus pitches (FB,CRV,CHG)

Everyone is all over Pineda, Matzek, Chapman, and Montgomery when they should be talking about this kid!!!

Honestly, what will it take to give this guy the credit he deserves?

1.26ERA, 78IP, 54H, 2HR, 17BB, 94K for the season( 39IP in A, 39 IP in AA) as a 19 year old

Just went 7, K'd 12 and allowed only 4 baserunners on the 16th. There isn't a pitcher in the minors i'd take over this kid, 3 plus pitches (FB,CRV,CHG)

Everyone is all over Pineda, Matzek, Chapman, and Montgomery when they should be talking about this kid!!!

Agreed, Teharan's numbers are ridiculous.

when would anyone expect this kid to be called up? 2011? 2012? i have a limited minor bench and would love to have him but hard to wait 2 years...........

when would anyone expect this kid to be called up? 2011? 2012? i have a limited minor bench and would love to have him but hard to wait 2 years...........

I think he'll get promoted to AAA in a month or two, so next year he'll be in the rotation if all goes well in ST, so 2011 should be somewhat close.

He's currently in A+, not AA (Myrtle Beach). A conservative estimate for his callup is sometime in 2012, but if he keeps putting up ridiculous numbers he could accelerate that to late 2011.