Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dr. Claw

Eric Young Jr. 2B/OF COL

It seems he stole more bases than anyone else in the majors last yaer. He's got a famous name too. Anyone know if we will be seeing him in the show anytime in the next year or two?

He's actually behind some others at 2B and word is he will need to move to CF in order to make the bigs. He didn't make COL's top ten prospects list for Baseball America. Jayson Nix, Ian Stewart, Jeff Baker and Chris Nelson are all options for Colorado at second. It seems that Young will end up like Pierre. Lots of steals, absolutely no power.

Does anyone know anything about this guy? He is not mentioned in BA's top 10 prospects (for Colorado) but was included in today's BP writeup on the Top 11 Prospects for the Rockies (subscription required). Here is the blurb:

"The Sleeper: Eric Young, Jr. has his father's speed, and very good hitting skills including surprising power for his size, but the Rockies need to find him another position, because second base just isn't working out."

While I was pleased to see him at least mentioned, his inclusion in the article hasn't cleared up my understanding of his future fantasy value. His stats can be found at the link below, but essentially they guy has been putting up 75 steals/year in two years of A ball, all while hitting around .290/.360/.800 at 2B.

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/Y/Eric-Young-1.shtml

anyone know anything?

He is behind Stewart and Wimberly (another Rockies speedster 2b who is a level ahead of Young). He is a lock to be a future fantasy stallwarth because of his incredible speed but you have to wait and see if his showing of decent power continues to translate outside the Cali League. I know his numbers were off the charts this year but the numbers in general in that league are somewhat misleading (best hitters league in the minors). You have to wait and see if he continues to hit for some power or if he becomes a straight speed play. The worst part about him however is the fact that Wimberly and Stewart block him. Wimberley is a similar player and is ranked 10-15 in most of the Rockies' prospect lists. His walks went down a bit this year too, that is something to keep an eye on this year given the importance of his being able to get on base and use his speed. He is also not a great defensive 2b so that also hurts his ability to make it up to the majors at that spot when the Rockies may have other capable prospects.

Just read an article on BP saying that he could be up by the AS break now that Tulo is hurt. Seems like he is doing a pretty good job in AA as of now....

312 avg 9 bbs/18 k's 10 sbs.

Could be a monster for SB in the 2nd half potentially....

It seems he stole more bases than anyone else in the majors last yaer. He's got a famous name too. Anyone know if we will be seeing him in the show anytime in the next year or two?

Think Tony Womack. Mediocre defensively, can probably hit .260-.280 in the majors, no power, tremendous speed. There are a lot of guys like him in the minors, but if things break right, he could put up a few monster fantasy seasons. Like Tony Womack.

If the Rox didn't already have Willy Taveras, calling up EY2 would make more sense. But EY2's upside is to be as good as Taveras, and most teams (except the Dodgers) have figured out that it's not a good idea to have two light-hitting speedsters in your lineup on an everyday basis.

I say if he gets the call to the bigs, snag him. Otherwise, just remember the name. He's not worth wasting a minor-league pick or bench spot for the 1-in-20 chance that he breaks through.

--Ben

Think Tony Womack. Mediocre defensively, can probably hit .260-.280 in the majors, no power, tremendous speed. There are a lot of guys like him in the minors, but if things break right, he could put up a few monster fantasy seasons. Like Tony Womack.

If the Rox didn't already have Willy Taveras, calling up EY2 would make more sense. But EY2's upside is to be as good as Taveras, and most teams (except the Dodgers) have figured out that it's not a good idea to have two light-hitting speedsters in your lineup on an everyday basis.

I say if he gets the call to the bigs, snag him. Otherwise, just remember the name. He's not worth wasting a minor-league pick or bench spot for the 1-in-20 chance that he breaks through.

--Ben

:) Huhwhat? B)

The Dodgers only have 1 "light-hitting speedster" (Pierre) and he's not even in their everyday lineup anymore. The only other Dodger I can imagine you are considering as a "light-hitting speedster" would be Furcal, but, he's not a light hitter. He has 4 HR already with an OPS over 1.000 for the season so far, and he's basically a lock for around 15 HR a year (when he's healthy, which he is very healthy this year), so it can't be Furcal you are referring to. Who is this other mystery light-hitting speedster?

Also, in 2003, the Marlins won a World Series with Pierre and Castillo as their 1-2 punchless punch at the top of their lineup.

:) Huhwhat? B)

The Dodgers only have 1 "light-hitting speedster" (Pierre) and he's not even in their everyday lineup anymore. The only other Dodger I can imagine you are considering as a "light-hitting speedster" would be Furcal, but, he's not a light hitter. He has 4 HR already with an OPS over 1.000 for the season so far, and he's basically a lock for around 15 HR a year (when he's healthy, which he is very healthy this year), so it can't be Furcal you are referring to. Who is this other mystery light-hitting speedster?

Also, in 2003, the Marlins won a World Series with Pierre and Castillo as their 1-2 punchless punch at the top of their lineup.

And our next performer in "Small Sample Size Theater" is Rafael Furcal. Here comes a player who has hit 15 HR twice in an eight-year career (and more than 8 HR only four out of eight years). Yet his hot start in 2008 makes him "a lock for around 15 HR a year"

The dude is outperforming his previous career-high OPS by 224 points. He will come back to earth, and return to being the light-hitting speedster who has never slugged .450 in a season in his career.

Double-A Tulsa's Eric Young Jr. went on the disabled list with a broken hamate bone.

Potentially shaping up as a legitimate prospect for the first time, Young was off to a .321/.402/.506 start in 81 at-bats for Tulsa. He's stolen 209 bases in 366 career games in the minors, but he's never flashed much in the way of offensive potential. He'll be a bench player at best in the majors. Source: Denver Post May. 5 - 3:33 am et

I attended 8 games last season in which EY2 played and he struck me as a really nice player. One of the 2 most dynamic players on the Modesto A ball team. He hit the ball hard and banked a couple triples off the wall in deep CF and RCF and only got eaten up on one ball. It was just a sample size view of him, but I was surprised there were no positive articles of him out at the time. He does seem like he could be a super utility guy. I keep thinking about the Tony Womack comparison, and as much as I want to disagree, I don't think I can. The more I look at Womacks career numbers, given an equal opportunity, I think that was an astute comparison.

And our next performer in "Small Sample Size Theater" is Rafael Furcal. Here comes a player who has hit 15 HR twice in an eight-year career (and more than 8 HR only four out of eight years). Yet his hot start in 2008 makes him "a lock for around 15 HR a year"

The dude is outperforming his previous career-high OPS by 224 points. He will come back to earth, and return to being the light-hitting speedster who has never slugged .450 in a season in his career.

Okay. So he's no Lance Berkman, but Furcal and Pierre are not even close to equal and should not be mentioned together as light hitters. Pierre needed a season in Colorado to break .415 SLG. (one season that is equal to Furcal's career mark) and has 12 CAREER HR in 4890 AB, that is a light hitter. Furcal had totalled 12 HR or more for four consecutive seasons before getting hurt last year. This year, he has 5 HR already and, I'm going to go out on a huge limb here B) , will have at least 12 HR again. All I'm saying is if Pierre is a "light hitter" then Furcal can't be. If you want to call Furcal a "light hitter," then you have to refer to Pierre as a "non-hitter."

If you want to call Furcal a "light hitter," then you have to refer to Pierre as a "non-hitter."

lol... I think that's what Dodger fans have been referring to Pierre as for the first month of the season. Funny stuff.

lol... I think that's what Dodger fans have been referring to Pierre as for the first month of the season. Funny stuff.

I've pretty much considered him that for his entire career.

Looks like the Rockies have him playing OF in AAA now. Anyone think this guy ever gets a chance to play somehwere? He's currently batting .308 with 16 SB's, but I don't see any reason the Rockies would need him.

Here's Kevin Goldstein's take...I'm not trying to just regurgitate everything this guy says but as far as top MiLB pundits go (Keith Law, Kevin Goldtein, John Sickels, everyone at BA) his opinion is the one I value the most:

Jon W. (Boston): Hey Kevin - What are your thoughts on Eric Young Jr.? He's up to his old tricks, hitting about .290 with a bunch of steals and virtually no power...do you see him as a MLB regular at any point?

Kevin Goldstein: No, but I think he'll be a nice utility player when all is said and done.

Yeah Eric Young Jr. I totally forgot to list him as a MI up and comer. Total speedster with good bat control (could work on his walks yet). Has blockage issues right now, but a Garret Atkins trade (if it will finally get done) would open up 2B for him with Ian Stewart moving to 3B. The Platoon of Seth Smith and Ryan Spilboroughs in LF isn't the strongest and I couldn't see that platoon holding up past Ian Stewart and Eric Young Jr. in 2010 even if Atkins doesn't get moved.

Got the feeling w/ Barmes struggling in CO that maybe it's time for the Rox to think about bringing up EY Jr...

Barmes and Tulo have been great defensively (tho Barmes is up to 9 errors), but I am beginning to wonder if the Speedy 2b ready for The Call?

Anyone got any interesting info regarding this? He's officially on my radar and I think could make a splash in runs & SB if/when he's called up, and if they are willing to put him in the lead off (or 2-hole). Folwer has been decent'ish batting LO but he doesn't have the pure speed that EY does, and their OBP's are comparable...

Just wanted to get this out there...

Nobody has really been talking about this guy.

As of now, including a single, SB, and run tonight, he is currently sitting at:

In 106 games

.308avg

50bb

18 doubles

9 triples

6hr

38rbi

107r

55sb

11cs

There's no reason he shouldn't be playing in the big leagues.

Like alot of prospects of his elite status teams don't feel a need to start his clock till they absolutely have to. A shame as I think he could be a great spark plug at the top of their order and help their wildcard chances.

Nobody has really been talking about this guy.

As of now, including a single, SB, and run tonight, he is currently sitting at:

In 106 games

.308avg

50bb

18 doubles

9 triples

6hr

38rbi

107r

55sb

11cs

There's no reason he shouldn't be playing in the big leagues.

In case you havent noticed the Rockies offense is fairly crowded

Like alot of prospects of his elite status teams don't feel a need to start his clock till they absolutely have to. A shame as I think he could be a great spark plug at the top of their order and help their wildcard chances.

I will take the younger version of Young II, Devaris Gordon (who is actually Tom Gordon's son). He is in his first full pro year out of HS for the Dodgers system and has 62 SBs in 110 games as a SS. Odds are he won't stick at SS, but it's possible he sticks in the infield at SS. He also isn't nealry as blocked as Young is, who needs about 4 injuries all at once to sniff any PT.

In case you havent noticed the Rockies offense is fairly crowded

Because Clint Barmes is batting all of .244 with 9 SB's?

Eric Young Jr.: 126h 18db 9tp 6hr 38rbi 107r 55sb 11cs 51bb 67k

Alcides Escobar: 128h 24db 6tp 4hr 34rbi 76r 42sb 10cs 32bb 65k

Playing against the same teams.

Young could have 15 stolen bases by year's end if they called him up now.

This is my personal take. Rockies were not projected as a playoff contender. This whole season has been a complete surprise to even the front office. I think the fans would be much happier to see them call up Young Jr. and come up short than to fall short with Barmes. You can't expect Young Jr. to be as cold as Clint can you? Put him up at the top of the order with Fowler and they'd have every pitching staff on their heels. And the kid gets valuable experience in big games. I see absolutely no downside to rolling the dice other than the stupid "Starting his clock too early" excuse that is the flavor of choice for organizations. Follow the Brewers example Rockies!

Young broke the Colorado Spring Sky Sox single-season runs scored record this past Tuesday, scoring for the 107th time this season.

He currently has 109 runs scored in 110 games played. Average is sitting at .306 as of now.

I find it hard to believe he won't see significant time when called up in September, at the latest.