Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sdzc

Madison Bumgarner SP SF

Madison Bumgarner pitching against the Dodgers today.

3IP 1H 0R 0BB 4k, 45 pitches (33 for strikes) ----> this included striking out Manny on three pitches B)

In his three appearances, he has totaled 5IP 1H 0R 2BB 6K and an ERA of 0.00.

Article: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/giants...;entry_id=37848

Would the Giants be brave enough (some might say, foolish enough) to bring him up this year??

Madison Bumgarner pitching against the Dodgers today.

3IP 1H 0R 0BB 4k, 45 pitches (33 for strikes) ----> this included striking out Manny on three pitches B)

In his three appearances, he has totaled 5IP 1H 0R 2BB 6K and an ERA of 0.00.

Article: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/giants...;entry_id=37848

Would the Giants be brave enough (some might say, foolish enough) to bring him up this year??

Will all depend on when and how much AA action he gets. They are pretty good with gauging when their SPs are ready, so I'd say a Sept. taste is all he gets. If he pitches like last year though, might be sooner then that. Also have to keep an eye on his IP cap for this year too however.

It was 5 innings in Spring Training. No way does he deserve a jump of 3 levels because of that, he's not ready.

while id love for him to come up and pitch well i think next spring at the earliest for him, especially since i already have to clear roster space for a not-ready porcello

I can just as soon have him wait as well. If he loses rookie status, I would have to give him a contract. I would like to put that off for one more year.

Picked him in my NL only rookie draft with my first pick (4th overall)...I am giddy..Hopefully he continues to dominate and can take the next step..Hopefully next season...

Picked up right where he left off, but at A+ this time. He went 6 IP, 2 hits, 0 BBs, and 5 K's.

Picked up right where he left off, but at A+ this time. He went 6 IP, 2 hits, 0 BBs, and 5 K's.

Lincecum

Cain

Bumgarner

J. Sanchez

Alderson

Giants have some talented arms. Who knows, maybe that will be their rotation eventually...Got a few more years left on Zito though = O

3-0

1.40 ERA

19.1 IP

17 Hits

8 Runs

3 ER

0 HR

1 HB

3 BB

1.03 WHIP

When does he get moved up to AA?

3-0

1.40 ERA

19.1 IP

17 Hits

8 Runs

3 ER

0 HR

1 HB

3 BB

1.03 WHIP

When does he get moved up to AA?

Any day now...probably just waiting for the weather to settle.

I really feel like this guy could potentially get called up in September...the thing is the Giants have a a logjam in their rotation. When Lincecum came to the majors...there were grumblings that he was rushed. Given their track record with Lincecum recently, I would be surprised if he doesn't get a september callup.

Bumgarner, Alderson, Crawford promoted to Double-A

Madison Bumgarner and Tim Alderson, the two top pitching prospects at Single-A San Jose, were told after tonight's game that they had been promoted to Double-A Connecticut.

The early promotion was expected. The organization believed them both to be above Class A level as the season began but wanted to keep them in the warmer weather early on.

The left-handed Bumgarner, just 19, is the Giants' top pitching prospect. In five San Jose starts he went 3-1 with a 1.48 ERA and four walks and 23 strikeouts in five games. Alderson was 1-1 with a 4.15 ERA, three walks and 20 strikeouts, also in five starts.

For now, 2008 top draft pick Buster Posey stays in San Jose. Vice president of baseball operations Bobby Evans said there were no discussions about advancing Posey yet. As a catcher, he has more to learn.

One position player will join the pitchers in the trek east: shortstop Brandon Crawford, the Mountain View native taken three picks after Posey last year. Clarification: Crawford was taken three rounds after Posey, not three picks.) Crawford leads San Jose with a .374 average and also has six homers and 17 RBIs.

Evans said Alderson and Bumgarner will make their Connecticut debuts Sunday and Monday.

Thanks for the update Peavy. It would be nice to see him get a September call up this year.

Bumgarner, Alderson, Crawford promoted to Double-A

Madison Bumgarner and Tim Alderson, the two top pitching prospects at Single-A San Jose, were told after tonight's game that they had been promoted to Double-A Connecticut.

The early promotion was expected. The organization believed them both to be above Class A level as the season began but wanted to keep them in the warmer weather early on.

The left-handed Bumgarner, just 19, is the Giants' top pitching prospect. In five San Jose starts he went 3-1 with a 1.48 ERA and four walks and 23 strikeouts in five games. Alderson was 1-1 with a 4.15 ERA, three walks and 20 strikeouts, also in five starts.

For now, 2008 top draft pick Buster Posey stays in San Jose. Vice president of baseball operations Bobby Evans said there were no discussions about advancing Posey yet. As a catcher, he has more to learn.

One position player will join the pitchers in the trek east: shortstop Brandon Crawford, the Mountain View native taken three picks after Posey last year. Clarification: Crawford was taken three rounds after Posey, not three picks.) Crawford leads San Jose with a .374 average and also has six homers and 17 RBIs.

Evans said Alderson and Bumgarner will make their Connecticut debuts Sunday and Monday.

YAY! This is exciting news. I am seriously considering going to see him pitch figured a 45 minute drive would be totally worth it as long as he doesn't get rocked.

YAY! This is exciting news. I am seriously considering going to see him pitch figured a 45 minute drive would be totally worth it as long as he doesn't get rocked.

Hopefully it drives the price up for him also.

Didn't quite reach Alderson's numbers but still a good start.

6 IP, 7 H, 1 ER, 2 Ks, W

Just to update everyone on "Big Time" Bumgarner:

May 16th.....6IP, 1Hit, 0ER, 3BB, 9K's

Double AA Stats to Date: 2-0, 0.75ERA, 12IP, 8Hits, 1ER, 3BB, 12K's

If somehow this kid ever gets called up..........Watch out!!! I know everyone by now knows about him, but he absolutely made Manny Ramirez look silly in spring training this year on a strikeout. Even Manny said afterwards that this kid is going to be something....as a matter of fact, he couldn't believe that he is only 19 years old. Anyhow, if Jonathan Sanchez or even Randy went down with an injury, I have a feeling that they could possibly call this kid to the bigs....but at the very least.....a cup of coffee in September is definitely possible. This kid is the real deal!!!..........And keep in mind that he had a very solid spring with the Giants in camp before the season started. I am absolutely stoked I have this kid on my roster.

I just picked him up. Just didn't want to miss out.. did the same when Lincecum was in the minors and held on to him!

Just to update everyone on "Big Time" Bumgarner:

May 16th.....6IP, 1Hit, 0ER, 3BB, 9K's

Double AA Stats to Date: 2-0, 0.75ERA, 12IP, 8Hits, 1ER, 3BB, 12K's

If somehow this kid ever gets called up..........Watch out!!! I know everyone by now knows about him, but he absolutely made Manny Ramirez look silly in spring training this year on a strikeout. Even Manny said afterwards that this kid is going to be something....as a matter of fact, he couldn't believe that he is only 19 years old. Anyhow, if Jonathan Sanchez or even Randy went down with an injury, I have a feeling that they could possibly call this kid to the bigs....but at the very least.....a cup of coffee in September is definitely possible. This kid is the real deal!!!..........And keep in mind that he had a very solid spring with the Giants in camp before the season started. I am absolutely stoked I have this kid on my roster.

I don't think there's a snowballs chance in hell he gets the call this season even if some of their starters go down. The kid's 19 years old and while he's been excellent, his talent's still pretty raw. He needs this season and likely all of next to full develop.

I don't think there's a snowballs chance in hell he gets the call this season even if some of their starters go down. The kid's 19 years old and while he's been excellent, his talent's still pretty raw. He needs this season and likely all of next to full develop.

I could see a David Price like progression, although he'd need the Giants to remain within striking distance of the playoffs.

I could see a David Price like progression, although he'd need the Giants to remain within striking distance of the playoffs.

Completely different scenario. Price was 23 when he came up for the Rays...Bumgarner is 19.

His partner in crime Tim Alderson is lighting it up in AA as well...18/1 k/bb...

Completely different scenario. Price was 23 when he came up for the Rays...Bumgarner is 19.

Yeah, I understand their ages are a factor. But the point is in the progression of their promotion. Bumgarner can provide a late season boost to the pen and it won't kill his innings pitched. It's only worthwhile if the Giants are competing for something, but it's a viable option.

He's very good, and it will be interesting to see how the Giants handle him. Players of that talent generally dictate their own timetable, and you've seen guys like Kersahw and Porcello make big jumps to the majors recently. I also brought up price beause of how he flew up the levels last season after starting in A-ball.

The Giants are unlikely to be a playoff team this year,a nd they don't exactly lack pitching, but they may be tempted to give Bumgarner a look at some point this year. The better he pitches, the more likely that becomes.