Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sdzc

Madison Bumgarner SP SF

In AA so far:

3 GS

18 IP

1 ER

21 SO's

4 BBs

10 H's

0 HR's

And just a little icing on the cake, he's 3-0.

In AA so far:

3 GS

18 IP

1 ER

21 SO's

4 BBs

10 H's

0 HR's

And just a little icing on the cake, he's 3-0.

actually, he's so good he's only started 2 games thus far and is still 3-0 B)

actually, he's so good he's only started 2 games thus far and is still 3-0 B)

Very Chuck Norris-ish

any recent updates? does the kid have a shot to start in the majors before a september call up? sanchez just got moved to the bullpen.....

Seems like the K's are really down.

7.4 K/9 in his first taste of AA over 46 IP. I'm still loving the MiLB career 1.6 BB/9 over 200+ IP, this is freaking nasty!!

ive heard his only pitch is really his fastball! His curve and change need ALOT of work

ive heard his only pitch is really his fastball! His curve and change need ALOT of work

As is this case with most 19 year old kids...

Randy Johnson looks like hes hurt his arm today, any chance this guy gets a call up if Randy hits DL?

Randy Johnson looks like hes hurt his arm today, any chance this guy gets a call up if Randy hits DL?

No chance really, at all. The Giants are good with keeping their young arms down in the minors until they really are ready for the Bigs. He still needs a lot of seasoning on those secondary/off speed offerings of his.

No not at all he is still only 19 and in AA.

Threw 7 IP on 1 run ball with 3 hits and 0 BBs. He now has a sub 1 whip in 69.1 IP in AA with a 1.53 ERA. A callup this year is starting g to look very realstic at this point with the Giants in contention and possibly needing BP help. Not saying he should be called up, but I'm starting to think it's more and more likely as all he does is domintate.

Starting to think myself that one more disastrous outing by Sadowski or a Jonathan Sanchez trade to get a hitter will in fact open the door for young Mr. Bumgarner to get the call. This kid is the real deal and feel he could have a very nice impact upon his arrival. One more note is that MILB.com has rumored a potential call-up from what I hear very soon and Bumgarner has already said to the media that he isn't letting that distract his current status down on the farm. I hope he continues to do well and let's hope he has a very nice arrival if in fact he does come up.

Starting to think myself that one more disastrous outing by Sadowski or a Jonathan Sanchez trade to get a hitter will in fact open the door for young Mr. Bumgarner to get the call. This kid is the real deal and feel he could have a very nice impact upon his arrival. One more note is that MILB.com has rumored a potential call-up from what I hear very soon and Bumgarner has already said to the media that he isn't letting that distract his current status down on the farm. I hope he continues to do well and let's hope he has a very nice arrival if in fact he does come up.

I highly doubt that he gets the call this year. Keep in mind he is only 19 and honestly I think it would be the wrong thing to do. The kid needs to work on this secondary stuff and I don't want to see him get rocked and than lose confidence in his stuff.

I highly doubt that he gets the call this year. Keep in mind he is only 19 and honestly I think it would be the wrong thing to do. The kid needs to work on this secondary stuff and I don't want to see him get rocked and than lose confidence in his stuff.

Agreed, there is absolutely no reason to call this kid up this year.

The Giants still aren't exactly the smartest team in the league, and are in a legit playoff race his year. Don't be shockednif he gets the call.

The Giants still aren't exactly the smartest team in the league, and are in a legit playoff race his year. Don't be shockednif he gets the call.

I'm not going to, but it's still not justified in my opinion.

I'm not going to, but it's still not justified in my opinion.

I cometely agree with you. However, a stud LHP in the pen like Pric last year could mean a world of difference to them come October.

Last night was not good:

Ejected, bumps two umps and topped out below 90 mph one scout reported via BP paid content....

Last night was not good:

Ejected, bumps two umps and topped out below 90 mph one scout reported via BP paid content....

Crazy, stuff... Managed to scrounge this up.

Quote: Actually his removal and his ejection happened simultaneously. Not sure if there’s some history to all this, but here’s what happened. The first batter of the 2nd inning, Paco Figueroa stepped out late on Bumgarner o disrupt his timing. On the next pitch, Madison buzzed him right under the chin. Later in the inning, Paco’s twin brother Danny Figueroa called time (and was granted it) as Bumgarner was delivering a pitch. On his next delivery Madison unleashed a fastball two or three feet behind the batter and he was run. Seems Madison has a nasty streak, which I kinda like.

The rest of this stuff I don’t like. First off, the one AB with Figueroa cost two pitchers, because Ben Snyder came in to take over for Bumgarner and his very first pitch he got a Joey Martinez redux and it was really pretty sickening. Ben ended up walking off on (mostly) his own power and didn’t seem to be bleeding much, but he was flopping around in a very scary way for a couple of minutes. The ball, after hitting Snyder went almost straight up like a major league pop up, so I guess it caught mostly the crown of his head, which is a lot harder than the face. Still, I’m guessing he’s spending the night in Bowie Hospital.

Secondly, Bumgarner. I was sitting among a crowd of scouts, so I got a view of at least 4 radar guns every pitch (and lol do those things vary — the guy in front of me would be would 3 MPH faster on one pitch and 2 MPH slower than everybody the next — but that was mostly with Radames Liz, who was throwing much harder than everybody else).

Bumgarner threw very consistently 89-90 MPH. Only once on one gun did he hit 91. He had no swing throughs, threw relatively few breaking balls (about once per AB he’d throw I guess a slider, though a very slow one that functioned more as a change), and got hit hard. But the hit hard part was mostly command issues. He threw I guess a 2 seamer that bore in on RH, but tonight it was mostly boring over the middle of the plate.

I’m ready to say that his lowered K numbers this year are related to lowered velocity. Several of the scouts were talking about this, and three of them said that they’d recorded him last year working consistently in the 94-95 range.

Interestingly, the guy in front of me said he wasn’t that worried about it, because Bumgarner’s arm action was still good, his velocity was very easy, and "you could see there was a lot more in there." He said it’s probably just a lot of innings on a young body, and once he matures physically and gets stronger it will come back. And generally, that a sudden loss of velocity isn’t as much a red flag on a 19 year old in AA as it would be on a mid 20 or 30 something year old in the majors.

That said, if I heard the Giants were shutting Madison down for a while with a strained something or a sore something, I wouldn’t think it was the worst news in the world.

Crazy, stuff... Managed to scrounge this up.

Quote: Actually his removal and his ejection happened simultaneously. Not sure if there's some history to all this, but here's what happened. The first batter of the 2nd inning, Paco Figueroa stepped out late on Bumgarner o disrupt his timing. On the next pitch, Madison buzzed him right under the chin. Later in the inning, Paco's twin brother Danny Figueroa called time (and was granted it) as Bumgarner was delivering a pitch. On his next delivery Madison unleashed a fastball two or three feet behind the batter and he was run. Seems Madison has a nasty streak, which I kinda like.

The rest of this stuff I don't like. First off, the one AB with Figueroa cost two pitchers, because Ben Snyder came in to take over for Bumgarner and his very first pitch he got a Joey Martinez redux and it was really pretty sickening. Ben ended up walking off on (mostly) his own power and didn't seem to be bleeding much, but he was flopping around in a very scary way for a couple of minutes. The ball, after hitting Snyder went almost straight up like a major league pop up, so I guess it caught mostly the crown of his head, which is a lot harder than the face. Still, I'm guessing he's spending the night in Bowie Hospital.

Secondly, Bumgarner. I was sitting among a crowd of scouts, so I got a view of at least 4 radar guns every pitch (and lol do those things vary — the guy in front of me would be would 3 MPH faster on one pitch and 2 MPH slower than everybody the next — but that was mostly with Radames Liz, who was throwing much harder than everybody else).

Bumgarner threw very consistently 89-90 MPH. Only once on one gun did he hit 91. He had no swing throughs, threw relatively few breaking balls (about once per AB he'd throw I guess a slider, though a very slow one that functioned more as a change), and got hit hard. But the hit hard part was mostly command issues. He threw I guess a 2 seamer that bore in on RH, but tonight it was mostly boring over the middle of the plate.

I'm ready to say that his lowered K numbers this year are related to lowered velocity. Several of the scouts were talking about this, and three of them said that they'd recorded him last year working consistently in the 94-95 range.

Interestingly, the guy in front of me said he wasn't that worried about it, because Bumgarner's arm action was still good, his velocity was very easy, and "you could see there was a lot more in there." He said it's probably just a lot of innings on a young body, and once he matures physically and gets stronger it will come back. And generally, that a sudden loss of velocity isn't as much a red flag on a 19 year old in AA as it would be on a mid 20 or 30 something year old in the majors.

That said, if I heard the Giants were shutting Madison down for a while with a strained something or a sore something, I wouldn't think it was the worst news in the world.

Thanks for all that.

How hard was Liz throwing because his line wasn't very pretty?

I've heard he has a bit of a temper. Nothing this bad, though.

It sounds a bit like dead arm, so I'd be surprised if the Giants didn't shut him down for a while.

I've heard he has a bit of a temper. Nothing this bad, though.

It sounds a bit like dead arm, so I'd be surprised if the Giants didn't shut him down for a while.

Yeah if his arm is dead shut him down... Surprising though since he tore through 141.67 IP's in A ball at 18 in his first year of pro ball.... Now there's talks of him getting shut down at 95.33 IP's a year later...

Yeah if his arm is dead shut him down... Surprising though since he tore through 141.67 IP's in A ball at 18 in his first year of pro ball.... Now there's talks of him getting shut down at 95.33 IP's a year later...

Who knows, it could be fatigue built up from last year's IP, too. Whatever the case, I don't think it hurts his prospect status too much. At his age, the extra caution that the Giants should show from now on only helps him.