Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sdzc

Madison Bumgarner SP SF

There is (was) speculation that he may get the call this week, but I found this at www.sfgate.com:

The Giants will use their seventh starter of the season in Houston on Wednesday. It will NOT be Madison Bumgarner, Bochy said. Joe Martinez and Kevin Pucetas are options.

per cbs

The San Jose Mercury News reports that Giants SP Ryan Sadowski's time in the rotation is done for now. He will either be placed on the DL with a shoulder problem or optioned to the minors to make room for RP Waldis Joaquin, who was called up Saturday.Sadowski left his most recent start with tightness in his shoulder, an injury that could well be to blame for his struggles over the last few starts. The main candidates to replace Sadowski for his next start Wednesday vs. Houston would likely be Joe Martinez, Justin Miller, Kevin Pucetas or Madison Bumgarner, according to the Mercury News. Bumgarner, who is a superb pitching prospect, last pitched on Tuesday and is scheduled to start again on Sunday. If he's pulled from that start early or scratched completely, then there's a good chance he might replace Sadowski. Pucetas is also a decent prospect, who also last pitched on Tuesday. Keep an eye on both of their situation over the next couple of days, but the other guys on this list are not worth getting worked up about. Joaquin is a nice prospect, but will just be a middle reliever for the time being and can be ignored in all formats.

-----------------

Pucetas is 10-2 with a 3.30 era in 128 innings in AAA. He may be a decent pickup, but not the level of Bumgarner

I found an article on sfgate.com in which Bochy stated it would not be Bumgarner.

See the Bumgarner thread in the MILB forum.

Bumgarner is in AA and had his last start yesterday.

He's not sniffing the majors until September, and in light of his recent semi-struggles I honestly doubt we'll see him before June next year.

Bumgarner is in AA and had his last start yesterday.

He's not sniffing the majors until September, and in light of his recent semi-struggles I honestly doubt we'll see him before June next year.

This is most likely correct.They won't start Bumgarner's clock this year, and especially in the thick of a playoff race, the Giants are not going to risk destroying Bum's confidence should he be rocked if called upon to start. He's got filthy stuff for sure and is putting up great numbers this year, however, he still needs time to continue fully developing his breaking pitches. I wouldn't expect to see him called up at all this year, and as a Giants fan, as much as I would love to see him come up, staying in the minors is the best thing for him right now.

Thank goodness on two fronts:

1. I have the 5th priority in one of my dynasty leagues, so I need him to not get called up for a while so I can move up.

2. As a Giants fan, I would hope that Sabean would finally make a smart move and wait to start his clock AND not try and rush his top prospect.

Thank goodness on two fronts:

1. I have the 5th priority in one of my dynasty leagues, so I need him to not get called up for a while so I can move up.

2. As a Giants fan, I would hope that Sabean would finally make a smart move and wait to start his clock AND not try and rush his top prospect.

If they called him this year for any reason it would be mind boggling. The kid is 19 years old and they are going to call him up to get some help in the pen this year? That makes zero sense.

what have u guys heard about his secondary stuff..dont think just his fb will get him through the bigs

If they called him this year for any reason it would be mind boggling. The kid is 19 years old and they are going to call him up to get some help in the pen this year? That makes zero sense.

A call up wouldn't be "mind boggling"... But at the same time I don't think it is a wise move. Especially with his last 2 starts not being so dominate... I am not a fan at rushing prospects, but some guys are specail some guys can handle it some guys thrive off of it.

If Bumgarner and The Giants both feel that Bumgarner is not only ready for but could use some extended work in September then I don't see why it would really hurt him. I mean he pitched 140+ IPs last year. So as long as he is putting up dominating numbers and his arm is still feeling good then I don't see why throwing him a start or two in the bigs would hurt him. I would think they would want to promote him for a few AAA starts before they did this though... Which would have to be fairly soon.

Project Prospect's really down on him...All the way down to 23 (out of 25) on their August 1st list.

Madison Bumgarner LHP Comments: Breaking ball has made little progress since high school; K% down, BB% up from A+

Project Prospect's really down on him...All the way down to 23 (out of 25) on their August 1st list.

Madison Bumgarner LHP Comments: Breaking ball has made little progress since high school; K% down, BB% up from A+

If you listened to their podcast when they did their top 200 before the season started, this isn't much of a surprise. Some of the people over there have seen him a few times and the only thing that impressed them was his fastball.

Okay folks... I know it has been some time since he was last brought up, but it does not seem that his one blown up start from a few weeks ago where he got ejected from the game and he was a little wild seemed to dent his ongoing progress.

Since that meltdown on July 28th, this is what he has done thru 5 starts:

28 IP, 23 H, 6ER, 9BB, 16K's......Not too shabby for someone that some of you thought would be shut down for the year.

As a matter of fact, there is rumors flying now that Joe Martinez who has once again got rocked and has now looked below average in 3 straight starts that Bumgarner might be in line for a cup of coffee as early as Sept. 1st. I think this would be the most opportune time to call him up as he is on the same schedule as Martinez and I can't see Bumgarner being any worse on the Giants chances of making the wildcard as would keeping Martinez in there.

As of his last start on Aug. 26th, his Double AA stats are: 9-1 record, 1.91 ERA, and a 2.5:1 K to BB ratio....those stats are definitely indicative of someone that should at least get a taste starting next week hopefully as I have read articles posted that Kevin Pucetas who was the other qualified minor leaguer to get a call as well, that he has been getting shelled in his last 4 starts in AAA and that they like Bumgarner's chances to finally get a chance possibly.

What are everyone's thoughts here as I think that Giants fans are actually clamoring to see this kid up in the bigs and hopefully with any luck it could be starting next week. C'mon Bochy....put in the word!!! This could be the spark that ignites them for the stretch run.

I think they are really going to hurt themselves if they do that this year. Would be a bonehead move IMO.

I say do not bring him up and let him rest the arm. I would hate to see him lose confidence if he did get shelled.

His K's have been wayyyyy down and his velocity has been down as well. He is still only 19 years old. I still have zero faith in his secondary stuff. I have ranted about not calling him up about 10 times in this thread and I still think it would be the stupidest thing they could do.

Actually the kid turned 20 as of August 1st and has been pretty spectacular over the last month or so. There has been news of a possible call up in September, but he won't be the K pitcher you would expect with 96+ mph fastball being his secondary pitches have not progressed like the Giants have hoped.

I never thought the Giants would bring up Bumgarner this season, but with the way he's progressed, he's making it tough on them to at least experiment with a few innings. It's up in the air right now which is something I didn't even envision just a few months ago.

I never thought the Giants would bring up Bumgarner this season, but with the way he's progressed, he's making it tough on them to at least experiment with a few innings. It's up in the air right now which is something I didn't even envision just a few months ago.

Well I thought he would be up before they signed Brad Penny. Am I wrong in thinking it will now be next year before we see him?

Well I thought he would be up before they signed Brad Penny. Am I wrong in thinking it will now be next year before we see him?

I'd be surprised if they brought him up now that they added Penny, and Unit is supposedly coming back some time in September...

I still can't see him getting called, he's basically a one pitch pitcher right now. The Giants signed Penny and Johnson is going to come back as a reliever. Wait for next year

I still can't see him getting called, he's basically a one pitch pitcher right now. The Giants signed Penny and Johnson is going to come back as a reliever. Wait for next year

Bumgarner pitched only the first inning today, 3 up and 3 down, no Ks. Callup imminent or???

In 100+ IP at AA, his K/9 is a paltry 5.9 per 9. I don't care if he is still only 20 at this point, but with that, and still no secondary pitches in the making, colored me concerned. This is all part of the reason why I dealt him come the deadline in my dynasty.