Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sdzc

Madison Bumgarner SP SF

In 100+ IP at AA, his K/9 is a paltry 5.9 per 9. I don't care if he is still only 20 at this point, but with that, and still no secondary pitches in the making, colored me concerned. This is all part of the reason why I dealt him come the deadline in my dynasty.

Agreed on he still has a sub 2 ERA and a WHIP almost below 1 its a glasses half empty/full type of a thing. I am concerned but I do think he will end being a great player...... Hopefully

In 100+ IP at AA, his K/9 is a paltry 5.9 per 9. I don't care if he is still only 20 at this point, but with that, and still no secondary pitches in the making, colored me concerned. This is all part of the reason why I dealt him come the deadline in my dynasty.

I tried to deal him in my keeper, but was only getting offered like Braden Looper for him...I'd rather hope he turns into Braden Looper than dealing for him.

LOL

well what do you know. I was 100% wrong.

As was I, it still doesn't make any sense to me, but good luck Madison. I wish I had Extra Innings so I could watch the game, but hopefully we'll have enough people watching

Bumping this thread from September of last season.

Bumgarner made his first start in AA last night.

3 Innings

4 Earned

11 Hits

2 Ks

2 BBs

Seems to be continuing the struggling that happened in Spring Training

Bumping this thread from September of last season.

Bumgarner made his first start in AA last night.

3 Innings

4 Earned

11 Hits

2 Ks

2 BBs

Seems to be continuing the struggling that happened in Spring Training

that's what happens when you lose your fastball and never had good secondary stuff to begin with - over-rated and over hyped

that's what happens when you lose your fastball and never had good secondary stuff to begin with - over-rated and over hyped

I would agree that he's overhyped. But to say he never had good secondary stuff is not accurate. He didn't have good consistent secondary stuff. When his slider is on, it's actually good, the problem is that he can't consistently use it. It sucks that he lost his fastball, it is possible there is an injury here, or that they need to send him all the way down to A ball like Halladay and rework his mechanics to regain his velocity.

I think it will be quite a while before we see him back in the majors again, but he's entirely too young to give up on. Even if he can just come up with a decent slider or curveball he will make it back based on his deceptive windup and being a lefty.

May never get to that frontline starter ceiling, but one pitch and he can be a situational lefty or back end of the rotation type starter.

solid outing last night; topped out at 93-94 mph, don't give up on this kid yet.

I will keep an eye on him, but just can't squeeze him on the roster! I was hoping to make him a keeper next season, but don't want to risk it like I did this year!

solid outing last night; topped out at 93-94 mph, don't give up on this kid yet.

many are speculating it was a hot home gun.......next start on the road, should be interesting to see what those readings are

many are speculating it was a hot home gun.......next start on the road, should be interesting to see what those readings are

I'll look for the link, but they confirmed today the reading were accurate, think he starts tmrw, so we'll see difinitively.

Pretty solid outing today 5-ip, 3-k's, a couple of walks and even a homerun, any word on velocity?

I live in Fresno so they broadcast their games on TV and the radio. They said few times he was around 92-93 when they mentioned it. Still encouraging given where he was at ST.

I live in Fresno so they broadcast their games on TV and the radio. They said few times he was around 92-93 when they mentioned it. Still encouraging given where he was at ST.

Thanks, that is great to here.

Wellemeyer pitched in relief today. Should we make anything of it or is he just going to be skipped Tuesday now?

Edit: NVM Lincecum is now slated to start Tuesday so he's being skipped. I apologize.

He has clearly turned things around, another encouraging outing tonight;

6IP/1-ER/1-BB/5-K'S

Seems like his bandwagon has a ton of room, well I'd like to invite you guy's to jump back on cause the kid is back;

7IP/0ER/2-BB/8K's (95-pitches, rain shortened game) so maybe he could have gone one more inning. Lots of people have soured on this kid, if I were in a keeper/dynasty I'd trade for him right now while his perceived value is still down.

Seems like his bandwagon has a ton of room, well I'd like to invite you guy's to jump back on cause the kid is back;

7IP/0ER/2-BB/8K's (95-pitches, rain shortened game) so maybe he could have gone one more inning. Lots of people have soured on this kid, if I were in a keeper/dynasty I'd trade for him right now while his perceived value is still down.

The question being, however, is what was his velocity at? If it is still 90/91...I'd still be fearful that he'll get eaten alive by MLB bats. Besides that one hot home gun that said he was at 93/94 (he wasn't), he hasn't topped the very low nineties. What was he at yesterday?

The question being, however, is what was his velocity at? If it is still 90/91...I'd still be fearful that he'll get eaten alive by MLB bats. Besides that one hot home gun that said he was at 93/94 (he wasn't), he hasn't topped the very low nineties. What was he at yesterday?

That whole 'hot-gun' issue was about 2-3 weeks ago. MLB-reported that he was consistently working in the low-90's. It's now 6-straight starts he has given up 2-ER or less. Has given up 0-HR last 5-starts.

As per MILB.COM;

Bumgarner surging after adjustments:Giants prospect yields three hits over seven shutout frames

Giants prospect Madison Bumgarner has undergone two subtle but significant changes since beginning the season with a pair of disappointing starts. "My velocity started dipping last year and continued into the spring and the first two starts this year," the southpaw said after holding Oklahoma City to just three hits over seven shutout innings as Fresno won the back end of Monday's doubleheader, 1-0. "My arm felt good, so I knew it wasn't an injury.

"It was a slight change in mechanics that changed everything," he added. "I was turning my upper body too much before. It's hard to even see on film, but as soon as I made the adjustment, my confidence came back and I've been getting outs and hitting the inside corner. The change in mechanics really helped everything."

The other alteration was an addition to his repertoire.

"I've started throwing a cutter and that's been working really well," Bumgarner said. "I've been messing around with it in the outfield and I've only thrown it over the last two games, but it actually has been one of the better pitches."

Bumgarner (3-1) utilized his new weapon while fanning eight RedHawks and yielding just two walks on the night. He has allowed one earned run over his last two outings to lower his ERA to 3.64.

The 10th overall pick in the 2007 Draft walked Craig Gentry and yielded a single to Chris Davis in the first inning. Gentry made it to third as Davis was caught stealing second base, and Bumgarner got Chad Tracy to line out to end the frame.

Bumgarner retired the next four batters he faced until Emerson Frostad singled in the third. After Gentry walked for the second time, Bumgarner induced a double-play ball from Esteban German to end the frame.

Oklahoma City's last baserunner of the game came in the fourth when Brandon Boggs singled up the middle. Bumgarner retired the final 10 batters he faced in the seven-inning game.

"I wasn't sure what my pitch count was," he said. "They've limited me, which is a good thing. No reason to overexert yourself. I just keep going until they tell me I'm done."

For Bumgarner, the shutout marks his sixth straight outing of relinquishing no more than two runs. He had yielded 11 runs, including two homers, in his first two starts of the season before correcting his delivery.

"The last two starts, every pitch has been very good," he said. "The curveball is working the best out of all my off-speed pitches."

Last September, Bumgarner was promoted to San Francisco, where he had a 1.80 ERA in four no-decision appearances (including one start), struck out eight hitters and held opponents to a .229 average.

He may not have to wait long for another callup. "I'm not really even thinking about it," Bumgarner said. "If you think about that stuff, you won't be able to pitch as good. I'd be happy to do it tomorrow, September or next year. But for right now, I'm keeping my mind where I'm at."

Yeah, read that earlier. No mention of an increase in velocity. It's increased since the mid/high 80s he was working at in ST, but it has NOT increased beyond 90/91 from what I've read. What has worked for him was adding a cutter and a change in mechanics. Which could make him serviceable rather than putrid, which is what he was in ST and his first couple AAA starts. But serviceable is as far as I'd go with him without recovering some of that lost velocity. He is just going to be a FB pitcher with good location in that case. He's not going to rack up the Ks in the majors with that sort of velocity, and he is still going to give up the dingers due to his FB tendencies.

Don't get me wrong: I'm one of the biggest Giants fans on here. Have been since I can remember (nigh-on 30 years now...sigh). But he just doesn't excite me until he can have a DECENT fastball. I hope for the best, however.

Yeah, read that earlier. No mention of an increase in velocity. It's increased since the mid/high 80s he was working at in ST, but it has NOT increased beyond 90/91 from what I've read. What has worked for him was adding a cutter and a change in mechanics. Which could make him serviceable rather than putrid, which is what he was in ST and his first couple AAA starts. But serviceable is as far as I'd go with him without recovering some of that lost velocity. He is just going to be a FB pitcher with good location in that case. He's not going to rack up the Ks in the majors with that sort of velocity, and he is still going to give up the dingers due to his FB tendencies.

Don't get me wrong: I'm one of the biggest Giants fans on here. Have been since I can remember (nigh-on 30 years now...sigh). But he just doesn't excite me until he can have a DECENT fastball. I hope for the best, however.

You don't need to throw 99-MPH to rack up K's (Weaver, Hamels ususally around 92-93 MPH tops). John Danks has also increased his K-Rate, he has used the cutter and his K-Rate has jumped this year.

Source:Faketeams.com

I, for one, had a ton of doubts about Madison Bumgarner through the first month of the season - he had two disasterous starts followed by a few solid outings. Which one was the real Bumgarner?

After his last start where he struck out 8, walked 2, and allowed 0ER over 7 innings it is safe to say that his first two starts were not indicative of some great prospect gone awry.

Since his 2nd start on April 14, Bumgarner has compiled the following statistics:

6 Starts / 35 IP / 1.54 ERA / 0.943 WHIP / 22 hits / 6 ER / 26 K / 11 BB

On April 14 his ERA stood at somewhere around 14.00 after his first two games. Now he has whittled it down all the way to 3.64 and owns a 3-1 record.

His K rate is down compared to recent years. Over his last 6 starts, he has a 6.7 K/9 but also has a 2.8 BB/9. His command is up, confidence it up, velocity is up, and has allowed 1 HR over that span compared to 3 HR allowed over his first two starts.

He has now demonstrated that he has regained much of his form and is able to get advanced hitters out consistently. He won't turn 21 until August and may well be pitching in San Francisco by that time as well. Word is that he fixed a mechanical issue and I think he also needed some time to clear his head after a marriage and death in the family. There isn't much talk of his velocity anymore as his is consistently in the 91-93 MPH range and has improved and added secondary pitches.

He has never had an ERA above 2.00 at any level, but it seems this may be the year that he beaks that barrier - but I suspect not by much if he really is back to his old ways. Welcome back Mr. Bumgarner.