Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Timmah!

Times of London "Play The Game" Up and Running

The London Times is continuing its fantasy game for 09/10, and unlike most other soccer/football games, it's not a Salary Cap format.

Play The Game http://playthegame.timesonline.co.uk/soccer/times_login.asp is more like your traditional fantasy sports games in that each team drafts its players, and no one player is on more than one team in the league.

When you sign up, you have the option of being placed in an open league, creating your own, joining a private league, or silling an opening in an existing custom league that needs managers. Rosters are filled through an auto draft, and they have a pre-ranking system that allows you to try and manipulate your draft.

Once you find a league, you will be given a draft ('allocation') date. The scoring is pretty straightforward, with only ten categories, and there are league forums where you can interact with your leaguemates.

The league I joined has Saturday as its allocation date.....I'll post my roster so those who might be interested can get an idea of what the rosters would look like.

http://playthegame.timesonline.co.uk/soccer/times_login.asp

Our league allocated early this morning, and here's what I wound up with in a 10-team league:

GK: Pepe Reina

LB: Jamie Carragher

CB: Titus Bramble

CB: Ryan Shawcross

RB: Glen Johnson

GK/D Flex: Tim Howard

LM: Rory Delap

CM: Frank Lampard

CM: Tim Cahill

RM: Simon Davies

M Flex: Elano

F: Peter Crouch

F: Jo

F Flex: Kevin Doyle

Bench: Michael Owen, Emile Heskey, Bobby Zamora, Lucas Leiva, Maynor Figueroa, Kamil Zayatte

I haven't had a chance to check out the other teams, but I'm cool with what I've got on first impression. The defense looks pretty solid, and it's hard not to like a midfield starring Lampard and Cahill. The forwards could be a problem, especially if Owen doesn't pan out.

Jozy Altidore just joined Hull, I think I'm gonna make a run at him.

Just joined, made sure to put Altidore on my list, and one guy I put relatively high as well was Andrei Arshavin. He looked explosive at times last year.

Just joined, made sure to put Altidore on my list, and one guy I put relatively high as well was Andrei Arshavin. He looked explosive at times last year.

I was just able to pick up Jozy in place of Zamora. I had Arshavin in the RW Cup last year after the transfer, he was a huge second-half add, and should have a bigger scoring load since Adebayor is gone, and Van Persie gets hurt just thinking about it.

Word to the wise.......load up on Midfielders, especially Wingers.

My league allocated today:

F Robinho

F Emile Heskey

F Kenwyne Jones

F James Beattie

F Johan Elmander

CM Cesc Fabregas

LM Clint Dempsey

CM Darren Fletcher

LM Albert Riera

RM Lee Cattermole

CM Phil Neville

CB Jamie Carragher

RB Glen Johnson

CB Christopher Samba

CB Aaron Hughes

CB Gary Cahill

LB Fabio Aurelio

RB Pablo Zabaleta

GK Tim Howard

GK Chris Kirkland

I don't think I have the brightest league... 1st pick was Mark Schwarzer, 2nd pick was Andrea Dossena(huh?). I missed my favorite Gerrard by one pick (he went #8, and I had the #9 pick) and ended up with Carragher as my first pick.

How does it look?

I don't think I have the brightest league... 1st pick was Mark Schwarzer, 2nd pick was Andrea Dossena(huh?). I missed my favorite Gerrard by one pick (he went #8, and I had the #9 pick) and ended up with Carragher as my first pick.

LOL....that's pretty bad. My league has seven former champions, so the draft went how you might expect. That being said, Van der Sar and his broken hand went #1 overall, which allowed me to get Lampard at #2.

The remainder of the top 10 were: Gerrard, Berbatov, Arshavin, Given, Anelka, Kuyt, Torres, and Rooney.

I actually got Carragher at #22....go figure.

How does it look?

Pretty solid, if you ask me. I like your overall depth a lot more than mine, especially in the Midfield.

I'm guessing that you'll be going 4-4-2?