Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

phillies2626

Zack Wheeler - SP NYM

247 posts in this topic

Since there hasn't been an update since 2009, here we go:

He spent all season in the Sally League where pitched to the tune of 3.99 ERA through 21 Games and a 70/38 K/BB ratio over 58.2 IP.

He began the year as a starter, throwing 8 games with less than stellar results. He ended those 8 games with a 5.21 ERA and 1.45 WHIP over 27.2 IP. The lone bright side was his K/BB ratio of 36/17, but he did show a ton of promise. He had three lights-out games where he combined for 15.2 IP, 0.00 ERA, 0.96 WHIP and 20/7 K/BB.

He then transitioned to a relief role for 8 games: 9 IP, 2.00 ERA, 1.56 WHIP, 9/8 K/BB

Finally he ended the year as a starter for 5 more games going 22 IP with 3.27 ERA, 1.41 WHIP and 25/13 K/BB

Overall it was an okay season for the 20 yr old, but there was definitely room for improvement, as shown by his .320 BABIP and 3.11 FIP

Currently Wheeler is in the hitter-friendly California League as a full-time starter. Results thus far are much improved over his rookie season.

His ERA, WHIP and BB/9 have all been lowered (3.70 / 1.25 / 4.62, respectively) while simultaneously increasing his K/9 (11.47). His K/BB is at 62/25 over 48.2 IP.

For an in-depth scouting report on him, Adam Foster from Project Prospect wrote one on 5/23. You can find it here: http://projectprospect.com/article/2011/05...scouting-report

Basically this kid sounds like the next great Giants starting pitcher in the same mold as a younger version of Tim Lincecum

Eric Surkamp will get to the show faster a may surprise a lot of people by ending up as a more dominate pitcher than Wheeler.

Eric Surkamp will get to the show faster a may surprise a lot of people by ending up as a more dominate pitcher than Wheeler.

Surkamp probably will get to the majors faster.... he's also three years older than Wheeler and at Double-A, while Wheeler is at High-A....

Feels like it's a good time to bump his thread(maybe get it edited to note that he's with the Mets now)

Dude is dominating in AA this year. HAd another stellar outing today. 7 IP, 3 H, 1 ER, 0 BB, 8 K's

He's got a 1.88 ERA on the year.

52 2/3 IP, 30 H, 11 ER, 1 HR, 21 BB, 60 K

Stats are good. Still relatively inexperienced though. High draft pick. The Mets have already emphasized that they are not rushing their young pitchers. I think Matt Harvey will be up before Wheeler. He is in AAA and is the Mets #2 overall prospect.

Smoking hot right now. Would love to see him get called up this year.

Smoking hot right now. Would love to see him get called up this year.

you are insane and this will not happen. the mets will take their sweet time with wheeler. people are now calling him a future ace.

He gave up 3 ER in 6 IP today. The first time all year he's allowed more than 2 ER. Looks like he's slacking off now

Sandy Alderson was on WFAN here in NY today and said Wheeler and Harvey are not close to the big leagues, but Wheeler will be promoted to AAA in short time

Fat Frank has a setback, Parnell has a large WHIP for a closer. Would the Mets consider using Wheeler ala David Price or Adam Wainwright back in the day...out of the pen? Wheeler has about 50-60 innings left based on a 30-40 increase over last year. I would consider it if I were the Mets brass. He's the type of SP who can max out near 100 (something he can't does a SP). Might be able to get some use out of him down the stretch while limiting his innings.

Well, there was this

Mets manager Terry Collins confirmed Zack Wheeler is "not out of the mix" for a promotion to the majors this season.

Matt Harvey and Miguel Batista remain the likeliest options to replace Dillon Gee (shoulder) in the short-term, but Wheeler will be considered "very soon," according to Collins. The 21-year-old right-hander has a 2.62 ERA in 15 starts at Double-A Binghamton, and could become a factor in the second half of the season.

And well, he just finished off a CGSHO today in AA

9 IP, 6 H, 0 ER, 1 BB, 7 K

From RW:

Adam Rubin of ESPN New York hears that prospect right-hander Zack Wheeler could be promoted to Triple-A Buffalo as soon as next week.

The promotion has been a foregone conclusion for a while now and now that Matt Harvey is up in the big leagues, it's just a matter of when. Wheeler, 22, has a 3.29 ERA and 106/39 K/BB ratio over 109 1/3 innings in 18 starts at the Double-A level this year. Baseball America recently ranked him as the game's 10th best prospect on their midseason list.

Source: ESPNNewYork.com

From RW:

Adam Rubin of ESPN New York hears that prospect right-hander Zack Wheeler could be promoted to Triple-A Buffalo as soon as next week.

The promotion has been a foregone conclusion for a while now and now that Matt Harvey is up in the big leagues, it's just a matter of when. Wheeler, 22, has a 3.29 ERA and 106/39 K/BB ratio over 109 1/3 innings in 18 starts at the Double-A level this year. Baseball America recently ranked him as the game's 10th best prospect on their midseason list.

Source: ESPNNewYork.com

On the same track as Harvey only Wheeler has better control.

Don't know a whole lot about super 2, etc...but found this article (From metsblog.com) very interesting

Regarding Marcum's latest injury update, they wrote....

"In any case, I don’t see the Mets promoting Zack Wheeler to fill-in for Marcum. He’s close but needs more time at Triple-A, and promoting him now (as opposed to after the 20th day of the season)

would start his free-agent clock, and the Mets would lose a year of his control as a result."

I take this as Wheeler's clock being pushed back much sooner than I thought originally...I read somewhere online that the super 2 status date was some time in June, but 20 days into the season is clearly

a lot earlier than that...just an FYI...with the Mets rash of injuries (especially Johan and Marcum currently), this kid may be up sooner than later...at least I hope so...for real life and fantasy purposes both!

further explanation from the reporter at metsblog.com who just helped me understand what he was reporting...

"A player accrues 1 year of service time if he's on the roster for 172 days. A player also accrues service time (cont)

if he's optioned to the minors for less than 20 days. So, if the Mets option Zack and call him up on day 21, he will (cont)

accrue less than 1 year of service time this year, thus gaining 1 extra year of control before he is eligible for free agency."

further explanation from the reporter at metsblog.com who just helped me understand what he was reporting...

"A player accrues 1 year of service time if he's on the roster for 172 days. A player also accrues service time (cont)

if he's optioned to the minors for less than 20 days. So, if the Mets option Zack and call him up on day 21, he will (cont)

accrue less than 1 year of service time this year, thus gaining 1 extra year of control before he is eligible for free agency."

Then he gets Super 2'ed and the year counts as a full year anyways. Not sure their is a way around losing a year unless they wait till the super 2 passes, but doubt the Mets care 2 much about that. They just don't strike me as a team that will hold him back if he's ready

Unless I am missing something, they would not lose a year of control if they wait for 20 days to pass...and I know the Mets; they aren't always logical!

Either way, excited for this kid to come up and pair with Harvey and Niese for a nice 1-2-3 punch for what could be years to come...with Syndergaard only a couple of years away!

With super two status, the team doesn't lose a year of control but they do give up an extra year of arbitration. After the 20 days, the Mets insure the extra year of control, after the super-2 cutoff (mid season sometime I think?) they only give up 3 years of arbitration rights instead of four.

I think this is the deal... Could an expert confirm this?

1 person likes this

With super two status, the team doesn't lose a year of control but they do give up an extra year of arbitration. After the 20 days, the Mets insure the extra year of control, after the super-2 cutoff (mid season sometime I think?) they only give up 3 years of arbitration rights instead of four.

I think this is the deal... Could an expert confirm this?

Experts not required, fortunately the subject has been covered - just not here - from the Wil Myers thread (page 36) - and from many more, but the most recent...:

Will he become regular in CF for Tampa? And where do you guys think he will hit in order?

He will be a regular in RF, more than likely. Desmond Jennings will go to Center with Upton gone and they will shift Joyce and whoever he is going to platoon with to left. But I have already read that it is more than likely that Myers' clock will be delayed for a portion of the season. I would imagine that means he will be in the minors until the Super-2 cut off.

This is my thinking too. The Rays have plenty of talent and don't need to rush him. I think it is a very decent chance that he stays down in the minors until the cutoff. Does anyone know when that day would be?

The bottom line - no one knows for sure, but because the cutoff involves the top 22 percent of MLB players with 2+ years of service time (but less than 3), then the cutoff is thought to be somewhere in mid-late June.

http://www.mlbtrader...-prospects.html

MLBTR's article has most of the principles down - but it fails to recognize that if every team decides to keep waiting longer than mid-June, the cutoff could be later. If teams just say "screw Super-2, mid-late June or later is too long to wait" - and a whole bunch of guys just get called up in mid-April (you'll see why teams would do that shortly), then the deadline could be earlier. Until we get 2-3 years of this, it's hard to pin down, but teams that wanted to play it safe waited well past mid-June in 2012.

Now, teams still have a HUGE incentive to wait at least 2+ weeks to call up players - because even if a player is 1 day short of 6 years of service time - teams get an extra year of control (making it 6+ instead of 6 years of team control). Because the season is usually around 186 days, but a year is counted as 172 days, teams usually keep a player down for around 3 weeks - and then call players up (re: Bryce Harper 2012). Teams get 7 seasons of control, but still end up dealing with arbitration salary raised 3 years later instead of 4 (the issue becomes not just the huge bump in salary in Year 4, but arbitration builds on the prior year's salary as a baseline - so you get a multiplication of $ differences over 4 years - which is why if you develop a superstar, Super-2 could cost you $25M+ over 4 years - and for good players, it's easily approaching 10M+). FWIW, Rays did not wait for Super-2 with Price, but did wait out Super-2 with Jennings, and Moore had so much service time from 2011 that the Rays didn't bother with either.

Add it all up - I'm very confident Myers gets sent down for the first 2+ weeks. If they want to delay Super-2, however, we're talking 40+ percent of the season. If the Rays are really in it for 2013 - I think barring an explosion of O from other sources, I'd be more hopeful of late April callup - but once we don't see a callup by then, I start to worry very much about mid-June onwards...

The guy most owners want to watch - Brandon Guyer. Much like Sam Fuld's playing-over-his-head-by-a-mile helped justify delaying Jennings, how Guyer plays in April will decide whether or not the Rays are pushed to make the call. Obviously, my feelings are well-documented - I totally get the reason to wait 2+ weeks, but waiting 60-70 games if you are a contender, well, meh.

Bottom line - the Mets would get an extra year of service time if they wait 3+ weeks. They have to wait somewhere around 3 months or so get Super-2 avoidance (no one really knows, it changes every year, and changed dramatically last year with the new threshold of top 22 percent, instead of top 17 percent).

Knowing the above, and how cash-strapped the Mets have been, and more importantly, how 3 weeks makes almost no difference to the Mets' contention chances, hard to see them keeping Wheeler up right away. Super-2 avoidance makes a difference if you are a star - so you could make the business argument that a non-contender should wait until late June & save the future $. However, each team treats Super-2 differently - the Giants & Tigers ignore it, while the Rays and other budget-conscious teams really stick to their business model.

good news:

The New York Post confirms that Zack Wheeler is "not far away" from being promoted to the Mets.

Wheeler struggled in his first start Thursday, but remains on track to make his major league debut with the Mets this season. "He's in the same spot [Matt] Harvey was at last year, I would say," Triple-A manager Wally Backman said. "It’s a matter of command. I think it’s going to be a matter of consistency."

Despite allowing three runs on 10 hits, a walk and a hit batter in 4 1/3 innings in his Mets debut, Aaron Laffey will remain in the rotation for another start, Terry Collins said after the Mets rallied for a 4-3 win against the Miami Marlins on Sunday.

I assume if Laffey gets destroyed his next start and Wheeler fine tunes his command, he'll get called up pretty soon.

Despite allowing three runs on 10 hits, a walk and a hit batter in 4 1/3 innings in his Mets debut, Aaron Laffey will remain in the rotation for another start, Terry Collins said after the Mets rallied for a 4-3 win against the Miami Marlins on Sunday.

I assume if Laffey gets destroyed his next start and Wheeler fine tunes his command, he'll get called up pretty soon.

After Laffey's next start, and then 5 days after that, would that be the 20 days or whatever needed to delay his free agency/arbitration for a year?

I believe so, Oriole Way...I am keeping a close eye on this and plan to get my tickets for Sunday the 21st against the Nats if Wheeler is to make his debut that day. However, I have a funny feeling it's going to be a bit longer of a wait...