Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

phillies2626

Zack Wheeler - SP NYM

they aren't keeping him down for financial reasons. his fastball is hitting 95+, his curveball is even better, most likely his "out pitch" when he's called up, he just hasn't mastered a 3rd pitch to be trusted yet.

when the control/change up improves ... he'll be up.

i'd say another month of so ... the scary thing is he actually projects even better than matt harvey - who's been dominant since his call up. mets are just playing cautious and making sure he is ready like harvey was - no reason to rush the kid.

[finances may play a role, but they aren't keeping him down strictly because of money].

I have nothing to add other than that I am really excited for Zack Wheeler to eventually get called up, and I appreciate all of the updates and information from people in this thread.

Just saw Wheeler's line from last night:

5.1 IP, 8 hits, 4 runs (only 1 earned), 3 BB, 6 Ks.

Overall, not a very impressive showing. But Wheeler wouldn't be the first pitcher to struggle in the PCL. I just checked the play-by-play and it looks like the third inning was a bit of a mess, with his defense really compounding the problem:

Fresno Bottom of the 3rd

• Jackson Williams walks.
  • Yusmeiro Petit strikes out on a foul bunt.
  • Kensuke Tanaka out on a sacrifice bunt, catcher Travis d'Arnaud to pitcher Zack Wheeler. Jackson Williams to 2nd.
  • With Carter Jurica batting, passed ball by Travis d'Arnaud, Jackson Williams to 3rd.
  • Carter Jurica doubles (1) on a line drive to right fielder Andrew Brown. Jackson Williams scores.
  • Francisco Peguero reaches on a fielding error by third baseman Brian Bixler. Carter Jurica to 3rd.
  • Roger Kieschnick singles on a line drive to center fielder Juan Lagares. Carter Jurica scores. Francisco Peguero to 3rd.
  • Todd Linden doubles (1) on a line drive to left fielder Jamie Hoffmann. Francisco Peguero scores. Roger Kieschnick to 3rd.
  • Juan Perez flies out to left fielder Jamie Hoffmann

Hearing about the blister compensates for his shakiness so far. Hopefully it heals, he dominates, and gets called up!

heard collins on the radio. i got the sense he's down there for 3 more starts or so and then getting the call up. might be time to pick him up and stash

Again, this was not a monetary decision. He needs to further develop his change up (honestly, his curve/fastball have been mlb ready since day one) and improve his control.

If/when he does, he will be called up. I'm sure the blister has a lot to do with his recent struggles. I expect him up in May at some point ... and if he can continue to develop his change up he will be untouchable.

He's already got a 95+ fastball and a curveball that should be illegal. I know prospects bust all the time ... but I honestly think the worst he turns out is as a dominant closer. He'd be able to get by on just his 2 pitches right now.

5.1 IP, 6 hits, 0 BB, 3 ER, 8 Ks in his last start.

He's got an ERA of 3.86, a WHIP of 1.64, and 17 Ks in 14 IP through his first three starts.

That line actually looks a lot better. A lot of earned runs, but high K's and no walks. It does look like he'll be down for longer though. He's not exactly dominating and going deep into games yet

First start after ruptured blister, 0 walks 8 Ks

What a coinidence.

See ya in a month Zack.

Hard to dominate in LV. I would assume that NYM management is aware of it and that as long as he limits the walks they'll call him up sooner rather than later.

He's got an ERA of 3.86, a WHIP of 1.64, and 17 Ks in 14 IP through his first three starts.

Good article here about his day and specifically his face off with another hot prospect, Arenado (Hint: He loses). Also for dynasty guys, his motion L-T has some definite concerns.....Have to love the 0 BBs though.

http://www.minorleagueball.com/2013/4/16/4229018/getting-lucky-in-las-vegas-and-seeing-zack-wheeler-face-nolan-arenado

DSC06027_gallery_post.JPG

Good article here about his day and specifically his face off with another hot prospect, Arenado (Hint: He loses). Also for dynasty guys, his motion L-T has some definite concerns.....Have to love the 0 BBs though.

http://www.minorleag...e-nolan-arenado

DSC06027_gallery_post.JPG

Inverted W. Uh oh...

I know this is a bench coach question, but it's an MiLB bench coach question and i don't see a forum for that.

Absolutely destroyed tonight. 6 walks. Probably not close to a call up at this point given his F- control thus far.

clown stats tonight as Cmilne23 mentioned above. Mets might as well just use Livan Hernandez, at least he throws strikes

Walked 6 guys last start, he's gonna need to get that way down for a few consecutive before he comes up

Not MLB-ready. Even if he does get called up later this year, I won't touch him.

I agree, he needs a lot more time. His K rate is nice, but his BB/9 is close to 6. He needs to work on his control and command. At this rate, Montero may get the call before Wheeler if the Mets needed someone although Montero is only working AA ball.

Harvey had a 3.7 era and 1.3 whip when he got called up last year giving up 8 hits and 4 bb per 9.

i haven't seen Wheeler's games, but is he having problems with his plus stuff or the stuff he's "working on"

Harvey had a 3.7 era and 1.3 whip when he got called up last year giving up 8 hits and 4 bb per 9.

i haven't seen Wheeler's games, but is he having problems with his plus stuff or the stuff he's "working on"

That's a good question that I certainly don't have the answer too, I'd guess it's a mix between the two - but either way incredibly disappointing thus far.

Like you mentioned it's common for guys to struggle a bit when they're working on stuff such as fastball command, learning a two seam FB, working on implementing change ups, and of course breaking balls. I know last year Taillon had pretty underwhelming stats in A ball - but the Pirates were really just having him work on FB command with change ups - and not letting him simply rely on mid-upper 90's with a filthy breaking ball just to pump stats up, Taijuan Walker doing a similar thing in Jackson right now.

I like seeing good young pitchers face some bumps in the road due to working on other parts of there game that could pay off huge for them when they get to the show. Then you have a guy like Tony Cingrani who has simply just done what he is good at while running up the MiLB ranks - I find that unfortunate. The kid probably has a shot to be a very good pitcher - but relying simply on deception, a good FB with command will only prove effective one time around the league until the book gets written. A lot of quick moving MiLB pitchers only face hitters 1-5 times in their career at times - just relying on what you're good at and not developing things your not only hurts you in the long run.

That all being said - who knows with Wheeler, even if he has just been working on things - I've seen plenty in him this year I've found to be very concerning - mainly mechanics/command.