Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

phillies2626

Zack Wheeler - SP NYM

A few more starts like that and the Harvey/Wheeler era will begin ...

Collins called him out for making excuses - looks like it worked.

Looks like he made some mechanical adjustments:

http://www.milb.com/...&vkey=news_milb

"I was lifting my leg and rotating my shoulders and when we looked at the video, we realized I was rotating too much instead of keeping my shoulders square to the plate," Wheeler explained."

"Wheeler's delivery isn't anything new, however. For whatever reason, he developed a habit of rotating his upper body too much while coming to the plate. It took five starts and a 5.68 ERA to figure out the issue. Essentially, the new Wheeler is the old Wheeler."

Next start will be very telling ... I could see him up in June if he puts together a few nice starts

Glad they seem to have fixed the problem

If his start goes well today we could see him in a Mets uni pretty soon with the way their bottom of the rotation is pitching.

could be as soon as 2 more starts ... i think 3 positive outings in a row is more than enough reason to bring up the organization's top prospect.

It'll be a reason to watch at least.

Much better than his early season starts. Looks like he solved those mechanical issues.

The 1 walk is what impresses me. It seems like they really did fix his mechanical issue as he only has 2 walks in his last 2 starts after struggling early in the year with it. May not be far off from a promotion with the Mets not doing too bad and Marcum/Gee throwing batting practice.

Zack Wheeler throws six shutout innings for Las Vegas on Sunday

May 5th, 2013 6:08 pm

This afternoon in Sacramento, Zack Wheeler allowed three hits and a walk with four strikeouts over six innings.

Wheeler faced 21 batters and threw 90 pitches, 55 of which were strikes.

Over his last two starts, Wheeler has allowed one earned run on nine hits with a walk and 12 strikeouts in 12 2/3 innings.

-Michael Baron, MetsBlog.com:It seems like things are starting to come together for Wheeler after a sluggish start to his season in Triple-A. The key for him over his last two starts has been the command of his fastball – in April, Wheeler really couldn’t throw consistent strikes with that pitch. Given the elements of the Pacific Coast League, the organization has primarily been looking for Wheeler to adjust and establish his fastball command primarily, and they’ve been hopeful what he’s shown over his last two outings was coming. They’re not so much concerned about the results as they are with his approach and execution, but all three have been there over the last week, which is a great sign for him.

Time to start getting excited ...

Deep leaguers I'd stash soon if you have an open spot to play with. Could be up end of the month if things continue - pretty obvious he's improving his control (which was the only reason he's in AAA anyway)

Great k/9 and whip last 2 starts.

cant wait to be rocking wheeler and fernandez in my dynasty!

He should be up in 3-4 weeks ... They said his time in aaa was strictly for him to develop his change/control but super 2 could be a factor.

I expect him up in a month, possibly sooner if he continues to pitch this well.

Watching the game on SNY tonight and a fan asked the booth if they thought the Mets may have to go to a 6 man rotation soon...they have 30 games in 30 June days...and play 5 games in 4 days (all in Atlanta

I believe at the end of that month)...if he has another 1 or 2 good outings (next one is this coming Friday for Vegas I think), he should be up very soon.

For a lot of guys lurking on Wheeler, it becomes a situation of deciding how early to pick him up and stash him before the call is actually made to bring him up. He's getting picked up now in some formats for sure (not talking dynasty or deep keepers obviously, he's long gone in those setups).

Posted · Hidden by The Harsh, May 9, 2013 - No reason given
Hidden by The Harsh, May 9, 2013 - No reason given

I just added him. Had a spot open in my 20 team, 25 player league. I barely ever stash, but a lot of teams in my league do. Don't want to miss out on this arm

There are a bunch of Mets fans in my league, but nobody's stashed him yet. Doesn't sound like his call-up is imminent so until there's a little more buzz about it, I'm holding off.

There are a bunch of Mets fans in my league, but nobody's stashed him yet. Doesn't sound like his call-up is imminent so until there's a little more buzz about it, I'm holding off.

Here's your buzz. Pick him up tomorrow before it's too late. He'll be up within a couple weeks.

Zack Wheeler knocking on the door

If Las Vegas 51s manager Wally Backman has his way, he might lose the services of his best starting pitcher in the next few weeks. That is because Backman manages the Mets' Triple-A affiliate, where big-time pitching prospect Zack Wheeler is trying to force his way to the majors.

"Personally, I think if he has a couple of more starts like his last start he'll be headed to the big leagues, and rightfully so," Backman said in a radio interview, via ESPN.com.

Wheeler struck out four batters and allowed just three hits in six shutout innings Monday against Sacramento. He has lowered his ERA in the hitter-friendly Pacific Coast League to 4.00, after allowing just one run in his previous two starts. Wheeler has 40 strikeouts and 17 walks in 36 innings at Triple-A.

Wheeler is expected to be called up some time after the team can ensure he does not reach Super Two eligibility, but there is no set date for that. He entered the season ranked No. 11 in Baseball America's prospect rankings and No. 8 in MLB.com's.

Here's your buzz. Pick him up tomorrow before it's too late. He'll be up within a couple weeks.

Zack Wheeler knocking on the door

If Las Vegas 51s manager Wally Backman has his way, he might lose the services of his best starting pitcher in the next few weeks. That is because Backman manages the Mets' Triple-A affiliate, where big-time pitching prospect Zack Wheeler is trying to force his way to the majors.

"Personally, I think if he has a couple of more starts like his last start he'll be headed to the big leagues, and rightfully so," Backman said in a radio interview, via ESPN.com.

Wheeler struck out four batters and allowed just three hits in six shutout innings Monday against Sacramento. He has lowered his ERA in the hitter-friendly Pacific Coast League to 4.00, after allowing just one run in his previous two starts. Wheeler has 40 strikeouts and 17 walks in 36 innings at Triple-A.

Wheeler is expected to be called up some time after the team can ensure he does not reach Super Two eligibility, but there is no set date for that. He entered the season ranked No. 11 in Baseball America's prospect rankings and No. 8 in MLB.com's.

If the Mets want to miss Super 2, wouldn't they have to wait until June? If that's the case, he obviously won't be up in a couple weeks.