Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

phillies2626

Zack Wheeler - SP NYM

crap. thanks for telling me dude. didnt know he was RP.

Your welcome. But what does him being a RP matter? You should be searching names in the universal white search box, not specializing your search to a SP.

And yes, Straily wasn't in the database last year until he started a game.

Available on yahoo. My league is a dynasty but I assume the player pool is the same regardless.

I'm shocked to hear that he's available in a dynasty. I have had him since last season (when Harvey blew up, just in case!)

Today in Iowa, Zack Wheeler allowed three runs and five hits, with two walks and two strikeouts, over five innings.

Wheeler faced 22 batters and threw 67 pitches, 43 of which were strikes. He allowed two solo home runs and recorded nine fly outs and three ground outs.

Wheeler was throwing his fastball 97 mph, according to the Iowa Cubs’ broadcast.

Last night on SNY, Sandy Alderson suggested Wheeler would only need two or three more good starts at Triple-A, after which he could be considered for a promotion.

Michael Baron, MetsBlog.com:If he can throw 97 mph, I’d say Wheeler’s AC joint is fine.

Wheeler was clearly shaking off some rust after not pitching for ten days. He struggled with his command at times and was working up in the zone for much of the afternoon. He pitched to a lot of contact but was able to get some big outs and work out of some jams. It was a good outing all things considered and another positive step for Wheeler, and should go a long way towards easing concerns over his health and progress.

I'm shocked to hear that he's available in a dynasty. I have had him since last season (when Harvey blew up, just in case!)

He's not "available" --- he's on my team. I just meant he was in the database because it sounds like he's not in ESPN's, or wasn't anyway.

2-3 starts away from being called up to the Mets...

time to bump this to the big boys forum?

2-3 starts away from being called up to the Mets...

time to bump this to the big boys forum?

Doesn't belong in baseball forum until he's called up.

he pitched 149 in 2012 and 115 in 2011....as such i expect is total for 2013 to be around 180, thus far he has pitched 48

according to baseball-reference.com

fwiw, i'm picking him up after kendrick's next start and dropping kendrick

Zack Wheeler might already be in the majors if not for the issue he had in his AC joint earlier this month, a source told Mike Puma of the New York Post.

“If not for the minor setback with the shoulder, he might already be here,” the source told Puma.

As such, the source said to Puma Wheeler will make two or three more starts in Las Vegas, after which he could be promoted.

Earlier this week, Sandy Alderson said on SNY if Wheeler made two or three more good starts in the minors, they would consider promoting him to the majors.

Yesterday, Wheeler allowed three runs and five hits, with two walks and two strikeouts, over five innings against Triple-A Iowa – it was his first start since May 11 due to a cortisone shot he received in the AC joint of his throwing shoulder.

In nine starts for Triple-A Las Vegas, Wheeler is 3-1 with a 3.91 ERA, having allowed 21 earned runs on 45 hits with 20 walks and 49 strikeouts in 48 1/3 innings – he is 2-0 with a 2.38 ERA over his last four starts.

Matthew Cerrone, MetsBlog.com:If asked, I’d say Wheeler makes his big-league debut just after June 10, after an off day, in the middle of the team’s nine-game home stand. Earlier this week, I heard the Mets wanted Wheeler to get three or four more starts at Triple-A Las Vegas, to put this shoulder situation behind him, before having him join the big-league rotation. Here, Alderson said two or three. In either case, they’d like him to be pitching well, and be strong. They do not want to promote him just to promote him. They want it to feel like a seamless transition, keeping him on rhythm and healthy.

Michael Baron, MetsBlog.com:I’ve said it before I don’t think the organization is as concerned about the ‘Super Two’ threshold as they are about Wheeler simply being ready for the big leagues. Well, his last four starts present a pretty fair argument as to readiness, and it’s quite possible he will be promoted before the ‘Super Two’ cutoff. He’s shown he’s beyond his early season command issues and is ready; we know it, and the organization clearly realizes it’s about time to bring the kid up. But, if anyone thinks Wheeler is going to come here and save the 2013 Mets, think again. Everyone – including Wheeler – will need to be patient with him this season, no matter when he arrives, and in turn a fair expectation needs to be assigned.

is espn he is a RP.

I'm not sure why that is, but I like it.

Wheeler was throwing his fastball 97 mph in his last outing. As for his average velocity, I haven't dug that deep yet. Probably something on fangraphs

Anybody know the velocity of his fastball? Just curious.

Hits 100, averages about 95-97. Ya he's a beast.

Does his off speed/breaking pitches rank as good as his fb?

His curve is a plus pitch.

Does his off speed/breaking pitches rank as good as his fb?

He can throw 95+

and that's not even his best pitch. His curveball is untouchable when he is on his game. Fastball/ curveball have been mlb-ready for awhile.

Zack Wheeler will be limited to 180-185 innings

May 26th, 2013 7:06 pm

Pitching prospect Zack Wheeler will be limited to 180-185 innings this season, according to GM Sandy Alderson.

Alderson said that the organization likes to add only 30 innings a year for pitchers. Wheeler pitched 149 innings last season between Double- and Triple-A.

Wheeler has thrown 48 1/3 innings at Triple-A this year.

“If he continues to pitch well, he will be here in the near future,” Alderson said.

Wheeler is 3-1 with a 3.19 ERA this season. He has struck out 49 and walked 20 batters.

So he will more than likely be shut down before the end of the year?

Just read a new Rotoworld article and says they prefer Wacha and Gausman over Wheeler. Pretty surprised to read that.

The Mets are going nowhere this year. Harvey/Wheeler are 2 of the keys to this franchise's eventual turnaroud. I expect Wheeler to be babied quite a bit this year --- unleashed in 2014.