Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

phillies2626

Zack Wheeler - SP NYM

and this is how RW has summarized Puma:

Zack Wheeler is expected to make one more start with Triple-A Las Vegas before being promoted for the Mets' next homestand against the Cubs.

The Mets want to avoid Super Two status with Wheeler and will put him in optimum position to succeed for his debut in a matchup with the struggling Cubs. Wheeler has a 3.86 ERA over 11 starts at the Triple-A level. The 22-year-old has No. 2 starter potential and is worth stashing in deeper mixed leagues.

I'm reading the cutoff date is somewhere around June 15 which is right before the 5 game series with the Braves. I think it's realistic to say they will wait until then to promote him. What is the point of losing a year for only a few extra days?

Edit: ok now the Mets estimate the cutoff date is June 8...hey that works for me!

I'm reading the cutoff date is somewhere around June 15 which is right before the 5 game series with the Braves. I think it's realistic to say they will wait until then to promote him. What is the point of losing a year for only a few extra days?

Sandy Alderson has also confirmed(on Mike Francesca last week) that the Super Two date would only effect Wheeler's call up as the date got closer to the date Wheeler would be ready(I guess he is referring to post injury starts.) I think Wheeler is ready now(or 1 more start) so now it is just a matter of when that date is announced.

Sandy Alderson has also confirmed(on Mike Francesca last week) that the Super Two date would only effect Wheeler's call up as the date got closer to the date Wheeler would be ready(I guess he is referring to post injury starts.) I think Wheeler is ready now(or 1 more start) so now it is just a matter of when that date is announced.

Having Wheeler going from taking up a bench spot to stud pitcher and getting him for free off the WW has me very giddy.

what are we expecting from him? I know one good thing is that I saw a video of his last game and most of his pitchers were down in the zone. I guess pitching in Las Vegas will help you make sure you locate well. So at least he should't be serving up belt high heaters (a la Gausman)

Is he a Cingrani/Wacha type must add?

Better than both.

Better than both.

But he plays for the Mets.

Which is great because the Mets play in a pitchers park and he gets to face offenses like the Marlins, Nationals and Phillies regularly. Obviously he won't get very many wins, but I like him a lot.

Better than both.

Which is great because the Mets play in a pitchers park and he gets to face offenses like the Marlins, Nationals and Phillies regularly. Obviously he won't get very many wins, but I like him a lot.

Exactly.

And look at the original question. If you viewed Cingrani and Wacha as "must-add" players...then you 100% need to view Wheeler as a must-add as well.

Better than both.

Exactly.

And look at the original question. If you viewed Cingrani and Wacha as "must-add" players...then you 100% need to view Wheeler as a must-add as well.

I am not disagreeing as I own Wheeler, but realize wins are gonna be hard to come by and I wouldn't include the Nats in with the Phils and Marlins.

Better than both.

Exactly.

I am not disagreeing as I own Wheeler, but realize wins are gonna be hard to come by and I wouldn't include the Nats in with the Phils and Marlins.

how many wins does harvey have?

Better than both.

Exactly.

You would be wrong then...

Nats have the 29th ranked OPS in all of baseball (2nd worst in the league). Phillies are 22nd, and Marlins are 30th.

So yeah, when you're pitching against those offenses, and your home park is as pitcher friendly as the Mets...that's a huge huge advantage all around.

Better than both.

Exactly.

how many wins does harvey have?

Matt Harvey is 5-0

All I can say is that I see Wheeler progressing fast than wacha and cingrani. Out of all the rookie prospects I see Jose Fernandez or Wheeler hindering on the edge of being Aces by next year.

Better than both.

Exactly.

Nats have the 29th ranked OPS in all of baseball (2nd worst in the league). Phillies are 22nd, and Marlins are 30th.

So yeah, when you're pitching against those offenses, and your home park is as pitcher friendly as the Mets...that's a huge huge advantage all around.

Of course they are ranked low now when every good bat they have has been injured. A healthy Nats lineup is not an easy lineup to face and should not be lumped in with those lineups.

Of course they are ranked low now when every good bat they have has been injured. A healthy Nats lineup is not an easy lineup to face and should not be lumped in with those lineups.

The season is 57 games long already. Not exactly a small sample size. At what point can you stop blaming it on injuries and just say that maybe they aren't a good hitting team?

I'm a huge Nats fan, born and raised in Northern VA, trust me, I follow them as close as possible, and I don't like admitting it either.

But I think you're just looking at the team name, and assuming they can hit. They won last year because of their pitching, and they are struggling this year because their pitching hasn't been as sharp (bullpen struggles, Gio regressing).

But when the season is 57 games deep already, and they are still 2nd to last in OPS, and 3rd to last in Runs Scored...then you don't have much of an argument that they are a good hitting team.

The season is 57 games long already. Not exactly a small sample size. At what point can you stop blaming it on injuries and just say that maybe they aren't a good hitting team?

I'm a huge Nats fan, born and raised in Northern VA, trust me, I follow them as close as possible, and I don't like admitting it either.

But I think you're just looking at the team name, and assuming they can hit. They won last year because of their pitching, and they are struggling this year because their pitching hasn't been as sharp (bullpen struggles, Gio regressing).

But when the season is 57 games deep already, and they are still 2nd to last in OPS, and 3rd to last in Runs Scored...then you don't have much of an argument that they are a good hitting team.

They were 5th in Runs scored and 4th in OPS last year with a healthy club. Their pitching played a big part to winning but they could hit and there offense is basically the same minus the injuries. And trust me the Nats team name has yet to trigger a good hitting club yet. They are still the Expos to me, but rapidly changing that persona.

They were 5th in Runs scored and 4th in OPS last year with a healthy club. Their pitching played a big part to winning but they could hit and there offense is basically the same minus the injuries. And trust me the Nats team name has yet to trigger a good hitting club yet. They are still the Expos to me, but rapidly changing that persona.

They were 8th in OPS and 10th in Runs, not 4th and 5th, respectively, in the MLB. Check your stats again.

My point is that the season is 57 games deep, and they are literally at the bottom. At some point you have to accept that as who they are.

They were 8th in OPS and 10th in Runs, not 4th and 5th, respectively, in the MLB. Check your stats again.

My point is that the season is 57 games deep, and they are literally at the bottom. At some point you have to accept that as who they are.

My stats are correct in terms of NL. Didn't realize yours were for all MLB. still 8th and 10th is pretty good for so called pitching team.I realize your point, but to say that those stats aren't eschewed by injury is wrong and that as the Nats get healthier their ranking will rise.

how about we get back on ZACK WHEELER?

Set to take the bump again for L.V. this Friday...and maybe show up at Citi Field next week...exciting!

how about we get back on ZACK WHEELER?

Set to take the bump again for L.V. this Friday...and maybe show up at Citi Field next week...exciting!

Exactly. I feel for this kid having to come into this mess as I do for Harvey. Having a minor league outfield and a god awful bullpen will have its effects, but hopefully Sandy can fix this during the winter. However, I am skeptical and I am in the majority.

Nats o has sucked all year. Desmonds been down, espinosa and laroache at times nonexistent. Suzuki?

I picked up wheeler a week ago so am looking forward to this. Any idea if/when in the year hell be put on the shelf.