Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HighLanderZ

Avatar, a new film by James Cameron

I've heard about this film for years, but no real details since the secrecy around James Cameron's new film seems equal to that around the Manhattan Project!

Since Titanic, Cameron has been busy helping NASA develop a manned mission to Mars … & working on another film. 12 years later comes Avatar, which is supposed to have groundbreaking CGI & it's meant to be seen in IMAX. After seeing the teaser trailer below, all I can say is I'll reserve my judgment.

"Avatar takes us to a spectacular new world beyond our imagination, where a reluctant hero embarks on a journey of redemption and discovery, as he leads a heroic battle to save a civilization. The film was first conceived by Cameron 14 years ago, when the means to realize his vision did not yet exist. Now, after four years of actual production work, Avatar delivers a fully immersive cinematic experience of a new kind, where the revolutionary technology invented to make the film, disappears into the emotion of the characters and the sweep of the story."

Hmm...I have never really enjoyed all the animation CGI stuff that the movie world is taking under their wings, but it is a James Cameron movie so it should be epic, whether it be in box office sales only or an actual good movie will be decided. What happened to good old fashioned great acting by great actors/actresses?

Hmm...I have never really enjoyed all the animation CGI stuff that the movie world is taking under their wings, but it is a James Cameron movie so it should be epic, whether it be in box office sales only or an actual good movie will be decided. What happened to good old fashioned great acting by great actors/actresses?

I know what you mean. I also miss old fashioned special effects involving make-up & actually building the creatures. Nowadays most of the CGI I see is either poorly done or too heavily applied, like a woman wearing too much make-up, making her look slutty. The result is I get bored when the CGI effects are supposed to thrill the audience. How am I supposed to get excited about a CGI car race that looks like a cartoon? Pan's Labyrinth is one of my favorite films of all time that features old style special effects. Now that I can appreciate!

Anyway, more info on Avatar's plot:

"Jake Sully (Worthington) is a a paraplegic war veteran who is brought to the planet Pandora to participate in a program designed to help him walk again. The program introduces him to his avatar, a creature whose genetics are half human and half Na'vi, a sentient humanoid race who inhabit Pandora. In time, Jake will find himself in the middle of an escalating conflict between the two races."

I know what you mean. I also miss old fashioned special effects involving make-up & actually building the creatures. Nowadays most of the CGI I see is either poorly done or too heavily applied, like a woman wearing too much make-up, making her look slutty. The result is I get bored when the CGI effects are supposed to thrill the audience. How am I supposed to get excited about a CGI car race that looks like a cartoon? Pan's Labyrinth is one of my favorite films of all time that features old style special effects. Now that I can appreciate!

Exactly. I can always appreciate good acting along with some great costumes and make-up. Money ruins everything given enough time. Its cheaper to pay a nerd to sit behind a computer than it is to pay Leonardo DiCaprio to star in your new action packed film.

Exactly. I can always appreciate good acting along with some great costumes and make-up. Money ruins everything given enough time. Its cheaper to pay a nerd to sit behind a computer than it is to pay Leonardo DiCaprio to star in your new action packed film.

District 9 was good at making that CGI look real... Don't really know about Avatar, but it's James Cameron, so we really don't have much to be worried about.

I just can't help but think Cameron got invested in a so-so idea and powered his way all the way through. This story is...just kinda blah. Was I engrossed at the end of that trailer? Yes. Will this rank up there with his other epic films? I'm not holding my breath. Good to see crazy ol' Michelle Rodriguez as a space marine though.

I just can't help but think Cameron got invested in a so-so idea and powered his way all the way through. This story is...just kinda blah. Was I engrossed at the end of that trailer? Yes. Will this rank up there with his other epic films? I'm not holding my breath. Good to see crazy ol' Michelle Rodriguez as a space marine though.

Not one to watch trailers so I ask you:

Did she evoke memories of underrated and criminally underused actor Jen Goldstein's dynamic portrayal of Private Vasquez in Cameron's "Aliens"?

Awesome creation. She was also great in her small role as John Connor's foster mother in T2.

Did she evoke memories of underrated and criminally underused actor Jen Goldstein's dynamic portrayal of Private Vasquez in Cameron's "Aliens"?

Awesome creation. She was also great in her small role as John Connor's foster mother in T2.

Good call. Rodriguez in the trailer does remind me of the Aliens 2 character/actress.

I love that character, although I thought it was Maria Conchita Alonzo for a long time. I really love that character. Michelle doesn't look half as badass.

So because this movie cost anywheres between $230-$250 million dollars to make, it would have to be in the top 50 grossing films of all time......JUST TO TURN A PROFIT

So because this movie cost anywheres between $230-$250 million dollars to make, it would have to be in the top 50 grossing films of all time......JUST TO TURN A PROFIT

There are actually estimates out that say Avatar cost $500 million dollars to make and promote. Half a billion dollars. One film. Half a billion.

There are actually estimates out that say Avatar cost $500 million dollars to make and promote. Half a billion dollars. One film. Half a billion.

we're talkin' Yankee money!

I thought this movie was stupid when I heard about but the second trailer made me go, WOAH!

Still making me think it looks stupid.

Still making me think it looks stupid.

Look at Aliens' storyline. Sounds basic and stupid. The finished product was incredible.

Look at Aliens' storyline. Sounds basic and stupid. The finished product was incredible.

Going to see it tomorrow. I trust you fellas' word.

Best Picture of the Year

Saw it Wednesday night

Any details as to why? Details on any film are always appreciated.

Just saw Avatar...one of the most amazing spectacles I've ever seen on a movie screen. To compare it to other movies really isn't fair to either it, or the other movies. You just have to go see it, on the best screen in your town. NOW.

Im going to be honest, when I saw the trailers and commercials for it I thought it was going to be stupid. However, I went and saw it in IMAX and this has to be one of the best movies I've seen. Its really long so watch out for that, but there is a ton of action and a very well thought out movie. This man is a genius