Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HighLanderZ

Avatar, a new film by James Cameron

The movie is about blue people. I'm hesitant.

I was too. I left blown away.

I was too. I left blown away.

Was gonna go tonight but I'm gonna wait until next weekend. I'm glad to hear all the good reviews so far though.

Saw it today in 3-D on IMAX. It's the most visually stunning movie that I've ever seen. Cameron has once again created technology that will impact movie making for the next 20 years (like T2). However, instead of just using the CGI to make one character and really only about 26 scenes, the entire process of making Avatar will be how movies of this kind will be made in the future. The characters are stereotypical, the dialogue is simplistic, and the story is a bit derivative but not to ruin the experience. It hums along at a good pace, the overall cast is very good (I thought Worthington's character was a bit dry as a human), and the action is great. Not many movies need to be seen on the big screen anymore, but this is one of the few. It's that much fun and that good. Better then I thought it would be as I was a bit suspicious that Cameron was going to give us "The Phantom Menace" in 3-D. Cameron got it right, Lucas did not......If you have any interest in seeing it, I would recommend it and definitely in 3-D.....

Went to see it the other day. First time I've been the cinema in a long time and it was well worth the money! Cameron is awesome

Thoughts leaving the theater after watching the movie...

"Wow...."

"How do they keep finding ways to make special effects/cgi more realistic..."

...as some already alluded too...

"Most visually stunning movie I have ever seen."

The story isn't that complex, however I loved the concept and details of the film. The movie is like a ride you have never been on before, you sit down, your full attention will be grabbed, and you will be amazed...

See it in 3D, its awesome!

saw it last night in 3-D. Wow, pretty amazing movie.

Story line has been used many times before but never like this.

Cameron has done it again. This movie is well on it's way to around a billion dollars globally. Considering it's cost, rumored to be anywhere from around 400m-600m, Cameron will still turn a tidy profit on this. Impressive....

"Updated numbers from overseas for Avatar show James Cameron's big budget epic has made at least $212.2M domestic, $405M foreign (after taking in $145M from 14,844 screens in 108 countries this weekend), for a new cume of $617M worldwide. IMAX broke all its records as the giant format earned $12.1 million globally this weekend alone. Avatar's weekend result comes despite theater closures in many markets on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. The film is #1 in 107 of 108 markets (#2 in India, behind a local title). Avatar is already the biggest Fox title off all-time in Korea, Malaysia, Indonesia, and Vietnam."

Finally saw it and I probably picked the worst time to watch a movie. I actually fell asleep and started snoring for a minute until my dad nudged me. Don't get me wrong I didn't fall asleep because I wasn't enjoying it, I was just incredibly tired. I really enjoyed it though. The special effects were amazing of course and I didn't really have a problem with the story at all like some people mentioned. I'll be buying it on Blu-Ray for sure.

terrible movie, way to long, stupid story line.....just not my type of movie, that being said i can understand why some people love it...cool graphics

terrible movie, way to long, stupid story line.....just not my type of movie, that being said i can understand why some people love it...cool graphics

lol, there's always one.

Yeah, probably not your type of movie when you rave about movies like "Precious" and "Couples Retreat"...

Yeah, probably not your type of movie when you rave about movies like "Precious" and "Couples Retreat"...

haha wow the backlash after my comments is pretty funny...altho couples retreat was a classic....jk lol

haha wow the backlash after my comments is pretty funny...altho couples retreat was a classic....jk lol

haha

It really was an amazing production. The plot and stuff was pretty bland, but if any movie is ever going to make you like it only because of special effects, it's this one.

It's not like Transformers where "wow, the special effects look so real!", it's "wow, they made an entire new ecosystem on this planet that looks 100% believable and lifelike". It's not like Star Wars or Lord of the Rings where they put wacky looking animals trudging through New Zeland, they created an entirely different and new ecosystem with bioluminescence and all sorts of amazing stuff.

It really was an amazing production. The plot and stuff was pretty bland, but if any movie is ever going to make you like it only because of special effects, it's this one.

It's not like Transformers where "wow, the special effects look so real!", it's "wow, they made an entire new ecosystem on this planet that looks 100% believable and lifelike". It's not like Star Wars or Lord of the Rings where they put wacky looking animals trudging through New Zeland, they created an entirely different and new ecosystem with bioluminescence and all sorts of amazing stuff.

Totally agree. The plot was a little better than I expected truthfully. The movie was long, but there wasn't really anything where I was sitting there thinking they really could have done without this chunk of the movie. The effects and scenery were amazing. I'm a sucker for good special effects, but no movie I've ever seen even remotely compares to the visual appeal and experience this movie has to offer.

The funny thing is that the plots of most big budget movies have fairly bland "hero" stories. It's not really about the creation of the story as it is the execution of the story with movies like this and I think Cameron did a solid job with the plot. Go watch Star Wars and look at the plot. Simple, predictable, and very derivative of greek mythology. The dialogue has been lampooned to no end and it is laughable. How many times are they going to say, "I don't have a good feeling about this."? That said, I love the Star Wars trilogy (Episodes 4-6) because it developed a whole new world, with new destinations and new creatures. It was escapism at it's best and certainly groundbreaking. Avatar does this with how realistic and organic the ecosystem of the planet looked. It's just an amazing movie to look at. The plot was derivative of "Dances with Wolves" and others and the dialogue was awkward at best at times, but it's still a fun movie to turn off your brain and go on a roller coaster ride with. "Citizen Kane" or "Raging Bull" this is not, but it doesn't try to be......I thought it was fairly fun....

BTW, 1 billion dollars and counting for Avatar. The way it's trending, it's very possible that Jim Cameron will have the two biggest grossing movies (globally) of all-time. That's a pretty good resume' to get a job....

One of the rare instances where there really was never a lull in the movie. Great movie really. The planet was absolutely beautiful......in the instances where the action wasnt abundant they did a great job of filling it in with views of Pandora.

Also Cameron said that they'll be a sequel...so we'll have another one to look forward to! Wonder what they could do as a follow up though.

Also Cameron said that they'll be a sequel...so we'll have another one to look forward to! Wonder what they could do as a follow up though.

i read something about this. i think what cameron said was their plan was to kind of explore pandora. i think he mentioned a sort of sub-terranean world or something. anyway, he's working on another movie right now called battle angel, which actually also looks pretty cool.

BTW, 1 billion dollars and counting for Avatar. The way it's trending, it's very possible that Jim Cameron will have the two biggest grossing movies (globally) of all-time. That's a pretty good resume' to get a job....

What was the other movie?