Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HighLanderZ

Avatar, a new film by James Cameron

i read something about this. i think what cameron said was their plan was to kind of explore pandora. i think he mentioned a sort of sub-terranean world or something. anyway, he's working on another movie right now called battle angel, which actually also looks pretty cool.

I read he has a trilogy arc planned. Speculating that a one-way trip to Pandora from Earth takes 5 years, so Jake and Neytiri have ten years to have adventures on Pandora (second movie) until the humans come back with more soldiers and bigger guns (third movie)

The funny thing is that the plots of most big budget movies have fairly bland "hero" stories. It's not really about the creation of the story as it is the execution of the story with movies like this and I think Cameron did a solid job with the plot. Go watch Star Wars and look at the plot. Simple, predictable, and very derivative of greek mythology. The dialogue has been lampooned to no end and it is laughable. How many times are they going to say, "I don't have a good feeling about this."? That said, I love the Star Wars trilogy (Episodes 4-6) because it developed a whole new world, with new destinations and new creatures. It was escapism at it's best and certainly groundbreaking. Avatar does this with how realistic and organic the ecosystem of the planet looked. It's just an amazing movie to look at. The plot was derivative of "Dances with Wolves" and others and the dialogue was awkward at best at times, but it's still a fun movie to turn off your brain and go on a roller coaster ride with. "Citizen Kane" or "Raging Bull" this is not, but it doesn't try to be......I thought it was fairly fun....

A pretty accurate synopsis - this was never meant to be Oscar-worthy material story-wise, although it's certain to dominate the Special Effects/Cinematography nominations , and should really win the major awards in those cats - but not story-wise. As far as escapist experiences, though, it's hard to match.

Also Cameron said that they'll be a sequel...so we'll have another one to look forward to! Wonder what they could do as a follow up though.

One word: Ewoks.

One word: Ewoks.

Can you imagine if Cameron and Lucas teamed up to revive one of the greatest MFTV films from my childhood, Ewoks: Battle for Endor?

I've never experienced a movie in 3D and I must say, what a great experience.

I loved everything about the movie and would definitely see it again.

unreal. i never got phased by any of the hype, and went in skeptical. but that was probs the best 17.50 i ever spent in my life (my first lap dance was pretty damn cool, but 3 min vs 3 hrs??). the visuals are breathtaking. sure the story was simplistic in terms of dialogue, and predictable etc, but even so, the story was pretty cool i thought and original. but no visually, no words! the colours, backdrops, creatures, camera shots...i was literally interested throughout the whole 3 hrs, and found myself smiling throughout many scenes at just how f---ing awesome the experience was. i think had i watched it on a normal screen, it wouldn't have been the same. this movie was meant for Imax 3D and what a masterpiece it was!

So because this movie cost anywheres between $230-$250 million dollars to make, it would have to be in the top 50 grossing films of all time......JUST TO TURN A PROFIT

I think Cameron will be all right.....Biggest movie of all-time....It will be the first 2 billion dollar movie in history....

http://movies.yahoo.com/news/usmovies.acce...ith-185-billion

I think Cameron will be all right.....Biggest movie of all-time....It will be the first 2 billion dollar movie in history....

http://movies.yahoo.com/news/usmovies.acce...ith-185-billion

They definitely succeeded in generating the hype machine. Personally, I didn't think it was as great as some of the other people in this thread hyped it up to be, but I can see why it's going to gross 2 billion dollars. You can't deny that it's a visually stunningly beautiful movie (even though I thought the one type of creature was cheesy looking.......I thought the close up of the black leopard type thing made it look like a lame 80's movie creature. But I digress....)

Saw this movie last night in 3-D. They did an astonishing job with creating an entire new world and linking everything together. The visuals were stunning, and the movie itself was just awesome.

Decided to give it a shot the other day, better than expected despite much propaganda...

The movie really wasn't meant for 2D viewing in my opinion. It was a solid storyline and it was nice visually in 2D, but in 3D the movie pops and is one of the most epic visual moments I've viewed via technology. My wife has wanted to watch a ton of 3D movies after that and I keep telling her I think they will be a huge disappointment after that. I'll fold and go see another sometime soon, but Avatar ranks to me as the best thing to ever hit movie theaters at this point.

I saw Avatar in 3D during the holidays & to be honest, I was not impressed. At all. Regarding the CGI, the planet looked nice but I thought the rendition of life forms was inconsistent. It swung between life-like & cartoon-like. Yes, Smurf-like. More importantly, I found the story tired & poorly executed, the acting really bad, & too much of the dialogue was laughable. I was immensely disappointed.

Yeah you only go to see Avatar for the 3D beauty, really. I watched it twice because I loved the world Pandora. But when it comes out on DVD? No thanks, there's no way I'd be interested in watching that one again on a small 2-D screen.

Hidden

i tried to go see this over the holidays but it was sold out...ending up seeing Sherlock Holmes...I think the only reason Sherlock Holmes was number 2 at the box office is because everyone who couldnt get in to see Avatar settled for Sherlock like I did