Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TheJRod2006

The League

come on your telling me in a 8 team league peyton manning is going to go for holt and taylor.

it feels like it was written back in 05 or 06. its

well the point was, she was blackmailing him. its

i tivo this show but its on the bottom of my to watch list.

curb

always sunny

south park

the office

community

30 rock

parks and rec

random netflix

dexter

weeds

law and order

the league

come on your telling me in a 8 team league peyton manning is going to go for holt and taylor.

it feels like it was written back in 05 or 06. its

She was black mailing him to do that trade.

Gary and I are Eskimo brothers.

Bro-Five!

She was black mailing him to do that trade.

The problem is that any QB trade is always going to include a QB in return. Why not make it Fred Taylor "and I'll throw in Kerry Collins"

And a Holt/Taylor offer is so ridiculously lopsided that it would never get through any league.

The problem is that any QB trade is always going to include a QB in return. Why not make it Fred Taylor "and I'll throw in Kerry Collins"

And a Holt/Taylor offer is so ridiculously lopsided that it would never get through any league.

"The problem is that any QB trade is always going to include a QB in return." Why would that be?

As for the trade not going through, yeah, I can't see any league in which the league- if it had collective veto power- or the Commissioner would not investigate that trade. Collusion is usually a b*tch to prove, but I can't see that it would be all that hard in this case. Even if they somehow managed to cover up the secret agreement part the trade itself does indeed threaten the integrity of the league.

This show does not sound like they have any respect for the source inspiration. If I'm going to invest myself in ANY fictional entertainment- that isn't absurd farce- I need the assurance that they take their subject seriously. Sounds like somebody just riffed on a current pop culture phenomenon without taking any time to understand its intrinsic elements, I mean, unless the show labors under the conceit that the participants are all Newbs, and that is the angle they utilize to approach the subject. But from everything I have read they are not.

"The problem is that any QB trade is always going to include a QB in return." Why would that be?

As for the trade not going through, yeah, I can't see any league in which the league- if it had collective veto power- or the Commissioner would not investigate that trade. Collusion is usually a b*tch to prove, but I can't see that it would be all that hard in this case. Even if they somehow managed to cover up the secret agreement part the trade itself does indeed threaten the integrity of the league.

This show does not sound like they have any respect for the source inspiration. If I'm going to invest myself in ANY fictional entertainment- that isn't absurd farce- I need the assurance that they take their subject seriously. Sounds like somebody just riffed on a current pop culture phenomenon without taking any time to understand its intrinsic elements, I mean, unless the show labors under the conceit that the participants are all Newbs, and that is the angle they utilize to approach the subject. But from everything I have read they are not.

The grousing about the fictional trades in this show remind me of comic enthusiasts pushing their glasses off their nose and complaining about the accuracy of the X-Men/Spiderman trilogies to the Marvel universe.

They probably have to build the unequal trades around players the average sports fan would know, and thusly had to refer to players who no longer are fantasy relevant but have All Star pedigrees. This is catered towards the casual fantasy football fan, not die-hard nerds.

I do think last week's episode deviated from the fantasy football realm significantly, mainly because there's not a lot of jokes you can write for the premise without beating a dead horse. The story is also very very weak - I love the irreverent push-the-envelope humor but it comes off as disjointed scenes. So in the end, do I like the show? Yes. Is it funny? Hilarious. Is it a good show? Absolutely not. But if it satisfies the previous two questions for the FX's mass audience, it's really not going to make a difference.

TiMan, if you want a good show that's still funny, you should check out "Bored to Death." Beautifully written vignette comedy w/ a subtle storyline, great chemistry due to an all-star cast that is chockful of laughable moments - if you can get past the wine-sipping film savant douchebaggery.

The grousing about the fictional trades in this show remind me of comic enthusiasts pushing their glasses off their nose and complaining about the accuracy of the X-Men/Spiderman trilogies to the Marvel universe.

They probably have to build the unequal trades around players the average sports fan would know, and thusly had to refer to players who no longer are fantasy relevant but have All Star pedigrees. This is catered towards the casual fantasy football fan, not die-hard nerds.

I do think last week's episode deviated from the fantasy football realm significantly, mainly because there's not a lot of jokes you can write for the premise without beating a dead horse. The story is also very very weak - I love the irreverent push-the-envelope humor but it comes off as disjointed scenes. So in the end, do I like the show? Yes. Is it funny? Hilarious. Is it a good show? Absolutely not. But if it satisfies the previous two questions for the FX's mass audience, it's really not going to make a difference.

TiMan, if you want a good show that's still funny, you should check out "Bored to Death." Beautifully written vignette comedy w/ a subtle storyline, great chemistry due to an all-star cast that is chockful of laughable moments - if you can get past the wine-sipping film savant douchebaggery.

I definitely agree that there is no way that this show should be taken seriously. I think it's a funny, enjoyable comedy and love the fantasy football references. Taco is pure comedy with his vulgar tunes too. It's sort of surprising that there are a few here that are taking the storyline seriously enough to complain about the integrity of their league and the show itself. Veto the Manning trade? Come on now guys. If you really watched the show, how was that not obvious that she was blackmailing him. Loosen up; drink a beer; smoke a joint, whatever works for you, but its a TV comedy, what else were you expecting???

BTW, I finally watched a couple of Bored to Death shows recently, and thought it was very funny! (not exact lines) Are you a real Private Investigator? Well, I don't have my license, but I'll find what your looking for. I don't know about you, but everytime he gets asked that question, I think back to all of the Holiday Inn commercials (Are you a skydiving instructor? No, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express).

Guys, no. It's simple: This show only uses the Fantasy Football precept for a flimsy premise and audience pull.

"Hey- It'a a new comedy on SuX! Guys getting older seeking to escape from their stifling existing, reconnect and bond over their common love of pastries in "Eclairziastics"! There's geeky Joe, whose bored unfulfilled wife leaves him cold and unloved; Gap Tooth Jimmy loves the double-deckers pumped full of more cream than they can hold- watch the hilarious scene where he smuggles one into church..."

What I'm saying is that the show is standard sitcom stuff only using the Fantasy Sports theme as a crutch as any other show might use any other hobby or line of work- "Home Improvement" springs to mind- without any genuine feel for the subject itself. Crap all looks pretty standard to me. "Hey, let's have an unfair trade where the trade is engineered via blackmail by a WOMAN!" C'mon- Who here has experienced ANYTHING like that actually going down? We might joke about it, but that sort of thing only happens in the world of strained situational comedy. Using Fantasy Sports as the prop doesn't change the fact that it (blackmail) is an old staple of of the sit-com.

I don't need to lighten up, guys. You can find this funny and if you do more power to you. We need laughter. Personally I laugh myself stupid watching the Venture Bros. and I think I've seen "Tropic Thunder" 6 times eachversion. But from what I have seen this series simply utilizes Fantasy Sports as a foundation on which to build a fairly standard sitcom.

Guys, no. It's simple: This show only uses the Fantasy Football precept for a flimsy premise and audience pull.

"Hey- It'a a new comedy on SuX! Guys getting older seeking to escape from their stifling existing, reconnect and bond over their common love of pastries in "Eclairziastics"! There's geeky Joe, whose bored unfulfilled wife leaves him cold and unloved; Gap Tooth Jimmy loves the double-deckers pumped full of more cream than they can hold- watch the hilarious scene where he smuggles one into church..."

What I'm saying is that the show is standard sitcom stuff only using the Fantasy Sports theme as a crutch as any other show might use any other hobby or line of work- "Home Improvement" springs to mind- without any genuine feel for the subject itself. Crap all looks pretty standard to me. "Hey, let's have an unfair trade where the trade is engineered via blackmail by a WOMAN!" C'mon- Who here has experienced ANYTHING like that actually going down? We might joke about it, but that sort of thing only happens in the world of strained situational comedy. Using Fantasy Sports as the prop doesn't change the fact that it (blackmail) is an old staple of of the sit-com.

I don't need to lighten up, guys. You can find this funny and if you do more power to you. We need laughter. Personally I laugh myself stupid watching the Venture Bros. and I think I've seen "Tropic Thunder" 6 times eachversion. But from what I have seen this series simply utilizes Fantasy Sports as a foundation on which to build a fairly standard sitcom.

you are right on, but i still love it and cant wait for the new episode

for the record i have seen blackmail used in my casual leagues before

you are right on, but i still love it and cant wait for the new episode

for the record i have seen blackmail used in my casual leagues before

That statement seems like an oxymoron....if people are blackmailing each other, how "casual" can it be? B)

you ever had sex with a trophy?

I can't wait

it's so dumb it hilarious.

Anyone wondering how that winner of the league who is this chubby mediocre looking guy gets that hot a** blond? I couldn't help but to wonder throughout the whole show.

The same way Jason Varitek scored Heidi Watney....probably because he has money....lol

Gary cant be an Eskimo brother, he hasnt even had his first kiss yet !!!

That statement seems like an oxymoron....if people are blackmailing each other, how "casual" can it be? B)

in this instance casual would mean no money involved (all my college buddies)

in this instance casual would mean no money involved (all my college buddies)

Well, money is involved on the show when the one guy was asking people for checks (and Taco offered to pay in hummus)

Loved last night's episode.....also a decent cameo with Antonio Gates

I always thought Gates was a good sized dude seeing him on the field but seeing his 6'4 260 frame next to Ruxin (Nick Kroll) he looked like a normal sized guy. Kroll must be a good sized guy himself but he always looks like one of the littler guys on the show.

Loved last night's episode.....also a decent cameo with Antonio Gates

I still can't get that stupid McGiblets song out of my head!!!!

Just watched the first episode online the other night and nearly pissed myself...need to catch up on other two now...God bless FX!

I just watched all the episodes on demand and I like the show a lot. I could care less if some of the fantasy stuff is unrealistic or w/e, I just think it's a funny show. I do love the Taco character though, not because he's funny but because he reminds me of that guy gives up on the season, has an awful team, but his team still manages to blow up when they play me.

I love the term 'Trade-raped'

Have you even seen Plaxico Burress play this season?

Although it was a funny scene, I thought it was stupid.

These guys are supposed to be fantasy gurus yet he traded for Burress? Dumb

I love the term 'Trade-raped'

Have you even seen Plaxico Burress play this season?

I'm on the opposite side; I can't stand "humor" that makes a joke of something like rape. I'm starting to think this isn't the show for me.

Ah well, to each their own......

Although it was a funny scene, I thought it was stupid.

These guys are supposed to be fantasy gurus yet he traded for Burress? Dumb

who said they were supposed to be fantasy gurus?

i thought it was an average league of average, but funny guys

who said they were supposed to be fantasy gurus?

i thought it was an average league of average, but funny guys

Exactly!

People who spout the "this fantasy league is unrealistic/that trade would never go through in a real league" line of reasoning are missing the point. No one would write a story/screenplay for a competitive fantasy league because it would be boring as s---. This isn't a think-piece documentary about the lives of fantasy sports managers, it's a sitcom - there might be elements of hyperbole to make the joke funnier.

Timmah, it wasn't just the rape metaphor as much as the descriptive "You jumped out of the bushes, pulled down my panties, and trade-raped me" part. I love crass irreverent humor as much as the next guy but even i went "yeesh" to that one.