Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TheJRod2006

The League

Exactly!

People who spout the "this fantasy league is unrealistic/that trade would never go through in a real league" line of reasoning are missing the point. No one would write a story/screenplay for a competitive fantasy league because it would be boring as s---. This isn't a think-piece documentary about the lives of fantasy sports managers, it's a sitcom - there might be elements of hyperbole to make the joke funnier.

Timmah, it wasn't just the rape metaphor as much as the descriptive "You jumped out of the bushes, pulled down my panties, and trade-raped me" part. I love crass irreverent humor as much as the next guy but even i went "yeesh" to that one.

That makes it even worse. I know for sure I'm not bothering with it now.

What a bunch of puritans.

It's a joke. I've made much more off color jokes than that with my friends, and so have all of you.

It's a joke. I've made much more off color jokes than that with my friends, and so have all of you.

I don't think you know me well enough to say that.

I'm not a big fan of low-brow humor, and if that's what they rely on for laughs, then I'm not interested.

Your "I'm too classy to have this low-brow comedy appeal to my intellect" posturing would be a bit more convincing if your username wasn't based on South Park making fun of retarded kids.

It's a harmless joke. It's a funny joke and I call BS on the fact that you've never (ever!) used the phrase that someone got "raped" in a trade in your entire fantasy career.

If you want to pretend you're pious, go right ahead.

Your "I'm too classy to have this low-brow comedy appeal to my intellect" posturing would be a bit more convincing if your username wasn't based on South Park making fun of retarded kids.

It's a harmless joke. It's a funny joke and I call BS on the fact that you've never (ever!) used the phrase that someone got "raped" in a trade in your entire fantasy career.

My screen name is actually based on what a friend's young child used to call me.

Again, you don't know me well enough to know what I have or have not joked about in my lifetime. I've worked with many children who have been sexually abused and teens who have been date-raped, and I don't find the joke funny.

If you don't believe me, and want to maintain your own assumptions, that's unfortunate, because it's the truth.

Regardless if it's a joke or not, some people find it offensive and don't take to that type of humor lightly. In all actuality, it wasn't even a joke. It's a phrase that is used often in fantasy sports and I don't know why. As much as I didn't agree with the term, I have used that phrase myself in the past and won't be using it again after seriously thinking about what the definition basically means. I just never thought about the reality of it. It's wrong and disrespectful, especially when you consider the reality that happens everyday regarding the true issue of it.

I also don't feel you should call anyone out regarding their beliefs.

Bottom line is, this is a public forum and there are members who agree and disagree on certain issues. No matter what anyone feels is right or wrong. This type of conversation doesn't belong on the boards. Joke or not, it's just not a joking matter.

There is no "harmless" joke about rape or child molestation. Even when it's funny.

Victims are forever changed by that event of violence. Most struggle with genuine sexual intimacy for as long as they live after their attacks. Any reminder, no matter how brilliant, can evoke pain of the sort you obviously have no empathy or, as you have demonstrated by your continued championing of the analogy, mere comprehension.

The minds behind Monty Python and South Park have indeed pulled material of satirical brilliance out of the crimes. But when successfully negotiated there is usually an element of the absurd and the subject is either used to tipple sacred cows or actually make a point of the nature of the criminals themselves. (South Park especially, at least in their earlier stuff used the point of irony that the most superficially upright citizens are the most morally depraved.) But even when played "correctly" that card is going to carry pain when laid. And sh*t like most "Family Guy" gags and crap like the joke printed in this thread trivializes the event for "laffs". It's lame and offensive. Period. If you think it's funny, well, you have no empathy yourself, or at least no frame of reference. Doesn't make you a bad person necessarily, just a little ignorant IN MY OPINION.

I have never used "rape" as an analogy for ANYTHING less than rape in my entire life- and I AM a fan of "low-brow humor", if it's done right (Doug Kenney, MP, SNL, early National Lampoon). Knowing Tim the way I do, I find it highly unlikely that he has used "rape" as a metaphor for anything as trivial as Fantasy Sports. And in my personal opinion anyone who does needs to be schooled. It's a loser tool, one that should die a quick death in this community.

BTW- I think you are the one being self-righteous and pious, not Timmah! You used the forum as a bully pulpit not to make a point about a specific issue or perspective but to point a finger at someone who took a stand on an issue, a stand with which you disagree. I hate that type of stunt, and a stunt it is: Flipping around the roles of persecutor and persecuted simply because you don't like the stand a person has taken on a particular issue and feel that the point itself by extension belittles you personally.

It's the type of crap I have to endure in every ethics thread. The point is all about an issue. No one is judging you personally, at least not until you bring yourself into focus by attacking the person making the point rather than challenge the point itself.

New episode tonight!

Episode 5

It's the playoffs but instead of watching the games Pete and Kevin get stuck at a terrible Christmas party, while Ruxin and Taco go to Chinatown on a very special mission.

New episode tonight!

nice! thanks for the info. i am not sure why there is an essay written above your post.

Hidden
nice! thanks for the info. i am not sure why there is an essay written above your post.

Funny.

In the future I'll remember to insult you on a personal basis, too, as redundant as that may be.

Hidden
There is no "harmless" joke about rape or child molestation. Even when it's funny.

1) For the record, you are posturing for some element of taboo which would come off as the aforementioned "moral high horse". Not saying you are wrong to posture so, and in fact you should be applauded for doing so in my opinion.

The "is nothing sacred" camp says (indirectly) that irreverent jokes involving deviant social behavior will create a greater subconscious social acceptance of said behavior. The "sticks and stones" rebuttal would dispute that argument, but since the original point is posed as precedent (perhaps incorrectly), they are relegated to having to use ad hominem, stating the "moral high horse" - an irony in and of itself. This will probably be an "agree to disagree" conversation.

My unsolicited thought on the subject is I agree with both sides of the argument - however, it's impossible to draw a line in the sand that everyone will agree with. For example, I find it offensive when people say "Jesus Christ" in vain, while others won't have a problem with it - including our own forum CoC - yet "s---" is automatically censored though it's socially acceptable in many different social groups of differing levels of moral fiber.

For those of you who find the trivialization of rape offensive, the simple solution is to not use it yourself nor watch the show (such as Timmah! stated so eloquently and civilly in his post). Every show I've seen that utilizes shock humor for their laughs eventually wears it out after a time or changes their direction, so there's a good chance you won't have to put up with it more than a season.

2) I find it strange that three posters came down fairly harshly on the poster for a simple misunderstanding - my first assumption is that Timmah's nickname was in reference to the South Park character as well. Agreed that The Man obviously struggles w/ Internet Dickwad Syndrome since he came in w/ guns blazing looking for a fight (and I certainly am not defending that type of behavior), but I pose a better solution is to roll your eyes and ignore annoyances until they go away.

I love all you guys (and have enjoyed playing in leagues w/ most if not all three of you) and enjoy all your posts! Even the long-winded ones. B)

A few reminders:

1. Disagreement is a part of internet life - but discussion is about the points made, not the people making them. This is an absolute rule in RW Forums, and the reasons are clearly laid out, and not negotiable. Feel free to disagree in a respectful & civil manner - but once it becomes about the people making the posts, it's off-limits.

2. If a topic can't stay on-topic but veers into the realm of the personal, and cannot stay on-topic and the opinions made, but focuses on the people making them (and especially despite reminders/warnings), it will be closed.

While the OT Forum encompasses a wider range of topics, and thus a little more latitude is given, it is still subject to the same principles laid out above.

As such, I trust we can veer back on the topic at hand, and stay away from the personal realm.

Carry on,

Hidden
1) For the record, you are posturing for some element of taboo which would come off as the aforementioned "moral high horse". Not saying you are wrong to posture so, and in fact you should be applauded for doing so in my opinion.

The "is nothing sacred" camp says (indirectly) that irreverent jokes involving deviant social behavior will create a greater subconscious social acceptance of said behavior. The "sticks and stones" rebuttal would dispute that argument, but since the original point is posed as precedent (perhaps incorrectly), they are relegated to having to use ad hominem, stating the "moral high horse" - an irony in and of itself. This will probably be an "agree to disagree" conversation.

My unsolicited thought on the subject is I agree with both sides of the argument - however, it's impossible to draw a line in the sand that everyone will agree with. For example, I find it offensive when people say "Jesus Christ" in vain, while others won't have a problem with it - including our own forum CoC - yet "s---" is automatically censored though it's socially acceptable in many different social groups of differing levels of moral fiber.

For those of you who find the trivialization of rape offensive, the simple solution is to not use it yourself nor watch the show (such as Timmah! stated so eloquently and civilly in his post). Every show I've seen that utilizes shock humor for their laughs eventually wears it out after a time or changes their direction, so there's a good chance you won't have to put up with it more than a season.

2) I find it strange that three posters, two of them mods and one of them an very regular contributor, came down fairly harshly on the poster for a simple misunderstanding - my first assumption is that Timmah's nickname was in reference to the South Park character as well. Agreed that The Man obviously struggles w/ Internet Dickwad Syndrome since he came in w/ guns blazing looking for a fight (and I certainly am not defending that type of behavior), but I pose a better solution is to roll your eyes and ignore annoyances until they go away. I think this will dissuade this growing minority of "bully mod" complaints I've been seeing sporadically among the threads. Take that as you will.

I love all you guys (and have enjoyed playing in leagues w/ most if not all three of you) and enjoy all your posts! Even the long-winded ones. :)

Wow Skoo, I'd have to say that I'm pretty shocked and kind of confused about your post bro. Never thought I'd be classified as a bully mod and don't see where in my post I would be in a category of a bully. I'd say and think most members would say that I'm actually a pretty easy going mod. Never once have I been questioned or classified as ever being a bully in here. I don't think anyone of the mods are bullies to be frank. I read over my post again and didn't see anything like that, especially being harsh.

I basically said that people have their own opinions and beliefs and no one should call anyone out on them. Mod or not.

I also stated that I myself used the phrase of "raping someone in a trade" which is wrong and I regret that because I never looked at it from the other side of tracks. Sometimes people say stuff without thinking, as I have when using that " trade rape " phrase...especially when there are people that have actually had to deal with a serious subject like rape. I wouldn't wish it on anyone that has been a victim or a relative to a victim and thats why I will never use those terms again when it comes to anything. So I basically called myself out for the wrongdoing of using that as well and not just singling any certain people out. It's directed at anyone who uses that phrase without thinking of the other side of the fence. So even if it wasn't Timmah, I would be saying the same thing. It's not right and I can see Timmah's point.

So I'm just a tad confused with your post.

Anyways, this thread can't turn into a personal debate on whats right and wrong. So lets get this back on topic about the show.

If you need to discuss anything bro...you can PM me or email me Skoo.

Also, if I was a bully to anyone or they took my post as offensive then I appologize but I don't see where... B)

A few reminders:

1. Disagreement is a part of internet life - but discussion is about the points made, not the people making them. This is an absolute rule in RW Forums, and the reasons are clearly laid out, and not negotiable. Feel free to disagree in a respectful & civil manner - but once it becomes about the people making the posts, it's off-limits.

2. If a topic can't stay on-topic but veers into the realm of the personal, and cannot stay on-topic and the opinions made, but focuses on the people making them (and especially despite reminders/warnings), it will be closed.

While the OT Forum encompasses a wider range of topics, and thus a little more latitude is given, it is still subject to the same principles laid out above.

As such, I trust we can veer back on the topic at hand, and stay away from the personal realm.

Carry on,

Couldn't have said it better myself bro...I was actually typing before you posted this but during my writing a customer came in and delayed me...lol

Either you are too fast or I'm too slow...lol

This show is absolutely hilarious.

I have some friends (and a girlfriend) who think the idea of playing Fantasy Football is laughable and childish.

They also think the show is absolutely hilarious.

I laughed yesterday when they were in the bar and forced the barman to change the channel just to watch the Eagles game, but no one wanted to, so they had to follow the game on the guy's iPhone. "DID HE PASS IT TO DESEAN JACKSON!?!?!?!"

This show's last 2 eps fizzled in my opinion. Must've just written the first four for the pitch and then switched to the second-string writers towards the end.

I feel like Ruxin in the Gates episode after today's Brandon Marshall performance/pounding - I'm going to be cursing his name all week.

I dunno how I missed this show before, but I just watched all 6 eps on Hulu.... great stuff.

I never watched the show until have had a mini marathon on FX about a week ago.

Saw a couple episodes and it was pretty funny.

My favorite quote from the episode i saw was, "why don't you two get a room and rub dongs or something".

Immature? yes. Funny? very much so!

I'll probaby watch tonight.

The season premiere was pretty good, and I loved it when they decided how to award the number 1 pick.

Ocho Cinco did nothing for me though

The season premiere was pretty good, and I loved it when they decided how to award the number 1 pick.

Ocho Cinco did nothing for me though

And we now have a new term, Rosterbating. Love it!