Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NoGimmicks

Team-by-team Fantasy Prospect Rankings

NATIONALS

1. Stephen Strasburg RHP - Youd think he was in the hall of fame already
  2. Derek Norris C - Stud, monster plate discipline, can't wait to see how he does as he moves up the minors. Defense still a question mark
  3. Chris Marrero 1B - Should be a solid fantasy first baseman
  4. Ian Desmond SS - Not sure what to think yet, has he finally broken through? Great major league debut. Guzman needs to be traded
  5. Danny Espinosa SS - Nice season in the minors, could be a good roto player if he can make enough contact
  6. Eury Perez OF - Speed guy
  7. Drew Storen RHP - Has the great stuff needed to seize the closers job in a messy Nats bullpen
  8. Michael Burgess OF - Good tools, bad numbers
  9. Destin Hood OF - See above
  10. Adrian Nieto C - Young, far away, and sucked in rookie ball

This system has some really interesting guys for fantasy.... not sure if I trust the two shortstops. Don't sleep on the Nats.

NEXT: Marlins

Thanks! Enjoy hearing different perspectives.....Please queue up the Braves!

Braves already done a couple posts above you

MARLINS

1. Mike Stanton OF - Plate discipline needs a lot of work but huge power potential puts him above Morrison, though I think it's closer than some people think
  2. Logan Morrison 1B - Love him, power will come, more walks than strikeouts in AA
  3. Gaby Sanchez 1B - Nice solid first baseman for deeper leagues. Might gain 3B eligibility next year depending on what the Marlins do, but won't stay there long-term. Close to majors especially if Cantu is traded... potential here isn't great though, not gonna be a stud. For the Marlins sake I think he'll be better than Cantu out the gate
  4. Chad James LHP - Nice fastball for a lefty, should be front-line starter if everything goes well
  5. Matt Dominguez 3B - Too much value tied up in his glove and I will not take him seriously until he starts hitting again
  6. Kyle Skipworth C - Cutting him some slack because he's young and ceiling is very high
  7. Bryan Berglund RHP - HS arm, sounds like potentially mid-rotation
  8. Jake Smolinski 2B - One of the other pieces in the Bonifacio trade, need to know more about this kid and what position he projects at long term but he put up decent numbers, of course remember he did it in a very hitter-friendly ballpark (see Matt Dominguez). Good ratios though
  9. Brad Hand LHP - Solid performance in A-ball

Next: Phillies

ORIOLES

1) Josh Bell 3B - Managers say his defense at 3rd has improved a lot, as a future middle-of-the-order masher with patience and plus power from the hot corner I like him better for fantasy owners than Matusz. Cleanup hitter behind Wieters if everything goes well. Main weakness right now is his hitting ability from the right side.

2) Brian Matusz LHP - Should be a #2, barely qualified

3) Jake Arrieta RHP - Will get a shot at the rotation next year, wasn't so great in AAA but he was a little unlucky and in a hitters league, if he continues to work on his changeup he could be a solid fantasy starter

4) Zach Britton LHP - Groundball machine and he's missing bats at the lower levels, improved secondary pitches will make this guy a beast. Very underrated

5) Brandon Erbe RHP - Good stuff but not sure if he's gonna start or relieve

6) Mychal Gyvens SS/RHP - Very raw so this is probably a little high but as a shortstop prospect he's interesting, and the Orioles have no one in the depth charts blocking him at all.

7) Matt Hobgood RHP - Mostly projection at this point but high-ceiling, young arm.

8) Brandon Snyder 1B - Not a fan of this guy for fantasy, limited power potential

9) Troy Patton LHP - Arm troubles and limited ceiling keep him near the bottom of the list.

10) Kam Mickolio RHP - Deserves a mention because he might be the best power arm in the Orioles bullpen, and has a shot at a wide-open closer job (I don’t believe Jim Johnson is the answer long-term)

Next, Indians....

BP just released their top 11 and they reiterate that Bell has really improved his defense a lot. Just a note

BP just released their top 11 and they reiterate that Bell has really improved his defense a lot. Just a note

What does "BP" stand for?

MARLINS

1. Mike Stanton OF - Plate discipline needs a lot of work but huge power potential puts him above Morrison, though I think it's closer than some people think
  2. Logan Morrison 1B - Love him, power will come, more walks than strikeouts in AA

I am a big fan of Logan Morrison. I got a lot of slack from a lot of people because he has yet to put up insane minor league numbers. I know Logan Morrison hasn't shown huge power numbers yet but he has shown solid power numbers for being as young as he is and considering the fact that he is playing above his age level as well.

His plate discipline is uncanny especially when you consider he got hurt early on in the season and battled back from a wrist injury. Wrist injuries can really set baseball players back. Which is another reason why I think Logan's power numbers weren't all that great.

So not only was Logan Morrison coming off of a wrist injury but he was going up against pitchers in mid season form (when he was still in spring training mode) yet his plate discipline was still on point.

I forsee a big power boost from this guy in the next year. I think he could potentially be a mid season call up in 2010 if not at least a September call up.

What does "BP" stand for?

Usually it stands for Batting Practice... But in this case yes Baseball Prospectus (a very reputable website regarding baseball prospects).

No Gimmicks great job with the posts... We need to get a rotoworld prospect ranking forum going in the ranking section.

I think it's within reason that Logan can make the opening day roster. Cantu being dealt I think paves the way for it happening w/o a doubt.

One can only hope... I'm guessing Morrison at best gets the call after Super 2.

PHILLIES

1. Dominic Brown OF - Great all-around player for roto leagues.
  2. Michael Taylor OF - Similar to Brown, more power but less average and probably less speed
  3. Kyle Drabek RHP - #2 potential
  4. Travis D'Arnaud C - Potential as an above-average fantasy catcher, no problem staying behind the plate just needs to keep hitting. Ballpark adjusted numbers in the minors this year aren't bad and still young
  5. Trevor May RHP - Live arm that needs to throw more strikes, good ceiling
  6. Brody Colvin RHP - Same as above, but just drafted out of high school
  7. Sebastian Valle C - Catcher with good tools but long way to go, again potential as above-average fantasy catcher.
  8. Anthony Gose OF - Speed demon that can't hit

Next: Mets

MARINERS

1. Dustin Ackley OF - Star potential in average and steals, should have some pop as well.
  2. Michael Saunders OF - No star potential in any one category but will contribute in a lot of different ways, 15/15 or 20/20 candidate
  3. Adam Moore C - With Johjima gone Moore has a chance to show he can defend well enough behind the plate to start. With his bat he could be an above-average fantasy catcher
  4. Carlos Triunfel 3B - Basically missed all of 2009, still has potential though
  5. Tyson Gillies OF - Speed demon but not sure about his bat
  6. Matt Tuiasosopo 3B - Mariners will give him a look somewhere on the infield, most likely 3rd, for 2010. Bat is only decent at best, but if he can play second he might be intriguing
  7. Michael Pineda RHP - Pitched real well but missed a lot of time with arm trouble, #3 fantasy starter
  8. Juan Ramirez RHP - Numbers in the minors suffered from extreme hitting conditions, still a good arm to watch
  9. Phillipe Aumont RHP - Great arm, but as of now it looks like closer is best case scenario, and there are a couple other guys he will have to compete with (Fields, Aardsma, probably Morrow)
  10. Alex Liddi 3B - Fringe third base prospect for only the deepest of leagues

This one was difficult because there's so little to look at. Next: Rangers

Fantastic thread! I'm going to throw one in here though he is at least two years away. Mauricio Robles is a pitcher they stole from Detroit. He's under the radar now but will be a top 100 prospect by the end of 2010.

Kidtwentytwo could you tell us a little more about those two names or maybe link some info?

METS

1. Fernando Martinez OF - Good in AAA last year but got hurt again and also struggled in the majors. Mediocre plate discipline prevents him from becoming a star but I put him at the top because he's ready to contribute very soon, though his ceiling is not as high as the two below him.
  2. Jenry Mejia RHP - Very promising pitching prospect, but also very raw and may wind up in the bullpen. Like most young arms, more of a thrower right now.
  3. Wilmer Flores SS - Only 18, he gets a long leash
  4. Reese Havens 2B - I really like him. He's moved to second, he has good peripherals and was a little unlucky with the average last season. Very solid prospect if he can stick at 2B. Downside is he's not that fast
  5. Ike Davis 1B - Prototypical first baseman, does he have a shot at the job in ST next year?
  6. Jon Niese LHP - Doesn't have a high ceiling but will probably contribute right away in 2010. #4/#5 fantasy starter most likely, maybe more. I think he could be better though, I was impressed with him last season.
  7. Ruben Tejada SS - No power but young kid with good contact and on-base skills, can swipe some bags and should be able to stick at SS. Obviously, he's blocked.
  8. Josh Thole C - No power, but he has a shot at splitting the job with Omir Santos next season and maybe he'll even win it once the Mets realize Santos sucks. Defense is still a question mark…. if you're in a league that penalizes K's or rewards good BB/K he's a decent prospect
  9. Jeffry Marte 3B - High ceiling, hasn't done anything, but only 18
  10. Kirk Nieuwenhuis OF - Potential power/speed fantasy outfielder. Needs to cut down on K's

Next: Cubs

CUBS

1. Starlin Castro SS - Good athlete who can contribute in multiple categories from a scarce position. Power is still projection
  2. Hak Ju Lee SS - Similar to above, but more speed. These two guys are interchangeable fantasy-wise.
  3. Andrew Cashner RHP - Best pitching prospect they have, frontline starter potential who can rack up the K's for you. Still risky he'll wind up in the bullpen.
  4. Josh Vitters 3B - Walk rates are horrible, and there's still question about him staying at third. But… he's still young.
  5. Ryan Flaherty SS - I want to see where he ends up defensively
  6. Brett Jackson OF - Leadoff hitter potential with steals and some pop. Needs to work on strike zone judgement
  7. Jay Jackson RHP - Sounds like a #3 starter
  8. Chris Carpenter RHP - Nice numbers in the minors, mid-rotation potential
  9. Dae-Hun Rhee RHP - Good potential but total lottery ticket, hardly pitched last season and only 20.

BA's Cubs list comes out today, it will probably look a little different.

Next: Reds

Kidtwentytwo could you tell us a little more about those two names or maybe link some info?

METS

1. Fernando Martinez OF - Good in AAA last year but got hurt again and also struggled in the majors. Mediocre plate discipline prevents him from becoming a star but I put him at the top because he's ready to contribute very soon, though his ceiling is not as high as the two below him.
  2. Jenry Mejia RHP - Very promising pitching prospect, but also very raw and may wind up in the bullpen. Like most young arms, more of a thrower right now.
  3. Wilmer Flores SS - Only 18, he gets a long leash
  4. Reese Havens 2B - I really like him. He's moved to second, he has good peripherals and was a little unlucky with the average last season. Very solid prospect if he can stick at 2B. Downside is he's not that fast
  5. Ike Davis 1B - Prototypical first baseman, does he have a shot at the job in ST next year?
  6. Jon Niese LHP - Doesn't have a high ceiling but will probably contribute right away in 2010. #4/#5 fantasy starter most likely, maybe more. I think he could be better though, I was impressed with him last season.
  7. Ruben Tejada SS - No power but young kid with good contact and on-base skills, can swipe some bags and should be able to stick at SS. Obviously, he's blocked.
  8. Josh Thole C - No power, but he has a shot at splitting the job with Omir Santos next season and maybe he'll even win it once the Mets realize Santos sucks. Defense is still a question mark…. if you're in a league that penalizes K's or rewards good BB/K he's a decent prospect
  9. Jeffry Marte 3B - High ceiling, hasn't done anything, but only 18
  10. Kirk Nieuwenhuis OF - Potential power/speed fantasy outfielder. Needs to cut down on K's

Next: Cubs

No Brad Holt?

No Brad Holt?

He just missed, I decided to put Kirk instead of him. I also considered Familia for #10. All of these guys are names worth knowing. Holt didn't pitch well once he got to AA but he's still got good mid-rotation upside.

On another note, after looking at BA's list for the Cubs today I think I put Flaherty too high, it looks like there's still a ton of doubt about what position he's going to play. Everything else looks fine though

REDS

1. Yonder Alonso 1B - Wouldn't worry about him being blocked, he's talented enough where they'll either make room or trade him
  2. Todd Frazier ?? - Maybe 2B? If so very valuable player. I'm not sure where he ends up but the potential is good if he stays in the infield.
  3. Mike Leake RHP - Pretty good pitching prospect, probably a #3
  4. Yorman Rodriguez OF - Very high ceiling but very high risk, hasn't performed yet. Potential 25/25 guy though…. If he learns how to hit
  5. Chris Heisey OF - Good be a good contributor for deep roto leagues
  6. Travis Wood LHP - Comeback season? Fastball is still not very good but he's added a cutter to his plus-plus changeup, so he could be a serviceable mid-rotation starter, more likely back-end.
  7. Juan Francisco 3B - I already regret putting him on here, peripherals are a joke. But power is there
  8. Brad Boxberger RHP - Nice power arm out of USC but struggles to throw strikes. Might wind up in the pen
  9. Mariekson Gregorious SS - Slap hitting base stealer that can stick at SS but very far away

There's some more really raw guys in here who have potential but didn't really perform at the lower levels.... this system's pretty weak. Alonso looks like the only true impact fantasy stud.

Next: Astros

Finally a farm with lots of talent for fantasy owners to drool at.... pay attention to this one....

RAYS:

1. Desmond Jennings OF - 5-tool Roto stud on his way to the majors. Probably top 10 prospect in all of baseball and hopefully he'll be up next year sooner rather than later. Still a little worried about his health.

2. Wade Davis SP - Ace in the making, as long as he develops that third pitch and keeps the walks down. Found success in a short stint in the majors last season. Will be targeting him in all my redraft leagues for 2010

3. Tim Beckham SS - Weak performance in the low minors but still young and potential for a .290-.300 hitter with solid power from the shortstop position is still there. Only concern is that he won't steal many bases, and I'm reading now that he may have to be moved to third base. I wasn't sure about putting him ahead of Hellickson but I still believe in him.

4. Jeremy Hellickson RHP - He's been a stud in the minors and looks like a #3 fantasy SP at least, with potential for more.

5. Matt Moore LHP - Young frontline starter, needs to sharpen command, far away

6. Alexander Colome RHP - Led the New York Penn League in strikeouts, has great stuff, far away again but great ceiling here as a front-line fantasy starter.

7. Nick Barnese RHP - Also young and far away, not as much potential as Moore or Colome but might be a solid fantasy SP

8. Reid Brignac SS - I'm not a huge fan of this guy for fantasy but he's good enough to play shortstop everyday and will be worth a look in deeper leagues. Obviously he's blocked, but I believe he has an option left so the Rays may not be in a rush to trade him. On the other hand, if they want to get back to the world series they'll need to fill other holes on their roster, like catcher, and he's an obvious trade chip

9. Kyle Lobstein LHP - Great numbers at the lowest level, keep an eye on the kid

Up next, Orioles....

No Sean Rodriguez?

CUBS
  1. Starlin Castro SS - Good athlete who can contribute in multiple categories from a scarce position. Power is still projection
  2. Hak Ju Lee SS - Similar to above, but more speed. These two guys are interchangeable fantasy-wise.
  3. Andrew Cashner RHP - Best pitching prospect they have, frontline starter potential who can rack up the K's for you. Still risky he'll wind up in the bullpen.
  4. Josh Vitters 3B - Walk rates are horrible, and there's still question about him staying at third. But… he's still young.
  5. Ryan Flaherty SS - I want to see where he ends up defensively
  6. Brett Jackson OF - Leadoff hitter potential with steals and some pop. Needs to work on strike zone judgement
  7. Jay Jackson RHP - Sounds like a #3 starter
  8. Chris Carpenter RHP - Nice numbers in the minors, mid-rotation potential
  9. Dae-Hun Rhee RHP - Good potential but total lottery ticket, hardly pitched last season and only 20.

BA's Cubs list comes out today, it will probably look a little different.

Next: Reds

Do you see Castro getting called up in 2010? Elite prospect?

Do you see Castro getting called up in 2010? Elite prospect?

At the end of the season, maybe. I would not call him an elite prospect, but he does project to contribute solid power and steals from a weak position. Another issue is where he plays - while Castro is an excellent defensive shortstop they already have Ryan Theriot who's been very good for them. I'm no expert on the Cubs situation but someone will have to move off. It's also important to watch how his plate discipline progresses in the minors next season, as he needs to be more patient and draw more walks to fulfill his potential as a top of the order hitter - which affects his run and RBI totals, of course.

ASTROS

1. Jason Castro C - Solid catching prospect
  2. Jordan Lyles RHP - Young pitching prospect who projects as a front-line starter, will see how he does as he moves up the ladder, needs to develop secondary stuff
  3. Chris Johnson 3B - I don't like this guy much but at the very least he gets a shot at the third base for the Astros next year. Great power potential and can play third, but bad ratios and underwhelming performance in a hitter-friendly league. He'll get his chance though..
  4. Brian Bogusevic OF - 22 steals in AAA, but only 6 HR's (581 PA's). Again in the PCL, this guy is a marginal prospect at this stage
  5. Jiovanni Mier SS - Everything I know about him is that he's a glove guy more than anything, but best case scenario is .280, 10-12 home runs from SS
  6. Ross Seaton RHP - Mid-rotation guy
  7. Jonathan Gaston OF - Not sure what to think here but I guess he deserves a namedrop. Hit 35 homers in A+ ball, but take it with a grain of salt for now
  8. Juri Perez RHP - Extremely raw pitcher in rookie ball with great change up
  9. Jonathan Meyer 3B - Limited power potential and long road to the majors make him negligible except for the deepest leagues
  10. Tanner Bushue RHP - Raw, not even worth considering right now

Don't be fooled by the fact I was able to find 10 names, besides Lyles and Castro there is not much to get excited about. Next: Cardinals