Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NoGimmicks

Team-by-team Fantasy Prospect Rankings

CARDINALS

1. Shelby Miller RHP - Front-line starter potential, but just drafted out of high school
  2. Lance Lynn RHP - Back of the rotation starter did very well in minors last season. Might be able to compete for a spot in ST
  3. David Freese 3B - Not much of a ceiling with the bat but can he win the 3B vacancy left by Mark DeRosa and make the most of it?
  4. Daryl Jones OF - Despite poor performance and lack of power he still is worth holding out hope for based on solid potential
  5. Allen Craig 3B/OF - Good bat but he's old and I think he's moving to the outfield. Needs to be given a shot in the majors
  6. Daniel Descalso 2B - As soon as I see a scouting report say a player is "scrappy" and "blue collar", that makes me want to ban him from the list. Nevertheless, deserves a mention
  7. Jaime Garcia LHP - Groundball machine with back of the rotation potential recovering from Tommy John
  8. Robert Stock C - Potential to be average or above average fantasy catcher but very raw
  9. Wagner Mateo OF - All of his value is in his bat, and he's 16 years old…. You do the math

Next: Brewers

BREWERS

1. Brett Lawrie 2B - Great bat, just gotta hope he stays in the infield and he's a great prospect. Will also delay his development time. I've seen some reports though that his defense at second isn't bad.
  2. Alcides Escobar SS - I am not high on this guy for fantasy, his walk rate is unimpressive and he has very little power right now. And I'm still wondering if Macha will let him steal. This is one of those guys who will be more valuable in real life, but at the very least, the job is his now that Hardy has been traded so he's going to get a chance to prove himself right away. Don't get me wrong though he is still a fine prospect
  3. Mat Gamel 3B - Still great potential even as a 1B or OF but blocked right now
  4. Jonathan Lucroy C - Excellent ratios offensively, should hit for at least average power though he didn’t show it this year.
  5. Angel Salome C - Which one of these catchers land the job? Mind you neither of these guys have high ceilings, just above-average fantasy catchers. Salome has a little more upside with the bat
  6. Cody Scarpetta RHP - High ceiling arm, injuries (Finger) have held him back
  7. Jake Odorizzi RHP - Great peripherals but only in rookie ball. Ceiling is probably a #3, maybe more
  8. Eric Arnett RHP - Ceiling as a #2/3 work horse, needs to improve changeup
  9. Kentrail Davis OF - Nice power/speed combo but struck out too much in college.
  10. Wily Peralta RHP - Very young, raw high ceiling arm in A-ball

Next: Pirates

CARDINALS

Wagner Mateo OF - All of his value is in his bat, and he's 16 years old…. You do the math

Next: Brewers

Cardinals vioded the contract of Mateo due to concerns with his eye sight.

Cardinals vioded the contract of Mateo due to concerns with his eye sight.

Thank you for the heads up... not that he was really worth watching anyways, but good stuff.

Anyways, one more big development is that Ackley has been moved to 2B. This is a obviously huge boost in his value if the move is successful. It also solves the dilemma for Saunders that was discussed earlier in the thread.

There's another good prospect who has changed positions, but his name escapes me right now

REDS

1. Yonder Alonso 1B - Wouldn't worry about him being blocked, he's talented enough where they'll either make room or trade him

The general opinion is that by making room they move Votto to OF?

The general opinion is that by making room they move Votto to OF?

Yeah that's the plan

PIRATES

1. Pedro Alvarez 3B - Still looks like he will wind up at 1B sooner rather than later, but bat is good enough to make him a top prospect
  2. Tony Sanchez C - Most of his value will come from his defense but he's impressed offensively in his debut so far
  3. Chase D'Arnaud SS - Not much power but could provide some steals from a scarce position
  4. Brad Lincoln RHP - Did well this year, #3 starter
  5. Jose Tabata OF - Doesnt look like much yet, still all potential. Hasn't shown any power
  6. Tim Alderson RHP - Struggled this year, low K-rates with Pirates as expected… #3/#4 starter at best, was a bit overrated as many have pointed out
  7. Daniel McCutchen RHP - Should get a rotation spot next year, #4 starter
  8. Rudy Owens LHP - Pitchability guy, probably back-of-rotation till we see more to prove otherwise
  9. Gorkys Hernandez OF - Looks like fourth outfielder right now, but if he can improve his OBP could be a great source of steals

NEXT: Rockies

REDS

1. Yonder Alonso 1B - Wouldn't worry about him being blocked, he's talented enough where they'll either make room or trade him
  2. Todd Frazier ?? - Maybe 2B? If so very valuable player. I'm not sure where he ends up but the potential is good if he stays in the infield.
  3. Mike Leake RHP - Pretty good pitching prospect, probably a #3
  4. Yorman Rodriguez OF - Very high ceiling but very high risk, hasn't performed yet. Potential 25/25 guy though…. If he learns how to hit
  5. Chris Heisey OF - Good be a good contributor for deep roto leagues
  6. Travis Wood LHP - Comeback season? Fastball is still not very good but he's added a cutter to his plus-plus changeup, so he could be a serviceable mid-rotation starter, more likely back-end.
  7. Juan Francisco 3B - I already regret putting him on here, peripherals are a joke. But power is there
  8. Brad Boxberger RHP - Nice power arm out of USC but struggles to throw strikes. Might wind up in the pen

9. Mariekson Gregorious SS - Slap hitting base stealer that can stick at SS but very far away

There's some more really raw guys in here who have potential but didn't really perform at the lower levels.... this system's pretty weak. Alonso looks like the only true impact fantasy stud.

Next: Astros

Ok, now there's a few things I could comment on in this ranking but first Mariekson Gregorious? Did you just throw a bunch of names in a hat and pick one out? Did you just like the name? Is he even on anyones top NINE list?

Ok, now there's a few things I could comment on in this ranking but first Mariekson Gregorious? Did you just throw a bunch of names in a hat and pick one out? Did you just like the name? Is he even on anyones top NINE list?

For the "few things" you could comment on from the ranking list none of them were productive comments. No need to be a jerk, that guy has put a lot of time and effort fourth to bring us team by team rankings.

Try being Thankful, tis the season anyway...

Anyway back to Mariekson Gregorius. The guy is a 19 year old speedy SS. He hit .314 in rookie ball last year. He's got upside it isn't an insane thing to say he's the 9th overall prospect in The Red's system.

For the "few things" you could comment on from the ranking list none of them were productive comments. No need to be a jerk, that guy has put a lot of time and effort fourth to bring us team by team rankings.

Try being Thankful, tis the season anyway...

Anyway back to Mariekson Gregorius. The guy is a 19 year old speedy SS. He hit .314 in rookie ball last year. He's got upside it isn't an insane thing to say he's the 9th overall prospect in The Red's system.

FoulLine,

First, I didn't mention the "few things" that I thought to comment on. Instead I just wanted to point out that while Gregorious is a prospect with talent and upside that it's a little soon to put him on a list of the Reds top prospects even for fantasy purposes. In his, so far, brief 408 plate appearance minor league career that stop where he hit .314 was only 225 pas (and much better than his avg in the other two stops) and he has negligible power. By some counts he's the 4th best ss in that system right now although, as always, that could change.

I probably DID go a little overboard with my previous post so I would have no problem with apologizing to NoGimmicks if he took offense.

I don't take offense and I welcome the discussion. Its important to remember that these rankings are more about learning as many names as possible and puttiing them in one place. I am not a reds fan so I could care less about who their ninth best prospect is. What I found with them and many other teams is that because of lack of depth, after you reach a certain point the rankings mean very little. So I thought a shortstop prospect with some upside was worth mentioning more than waiver wire fodder like matt maloney. Now if you have some other more deserving names feel free to drop them, after all this thread is for me to learn and discuss, otherwise I wouldn't have made it and kept the list to myself

BLUE JAYS

• 8) James Paxton SP - Long way to go but good ceiling here with plus sinker and curve, just needs to work on third pitch

Just read through this thread for the first time.. like your lists so far, but just thought I'd give you the heads up.. Jays failed to sign James Paxton.

Just read through this thread for the first time.. like your lists so far, but just thought I'd give you the heads up.. Jays failed to sign James Paxton.

Yeah thanks I corrected myself in the post right after it

ROCKIES

1. Jhoulys Chacin RHP - #2/#3 starter potential. Developing his curveball is the main concern
  2. Christian Friedrich LHP - Similar ceiling, I should probably have put him first because his K-rates are much better than Chacin's have ever been, but he's further behind and Chacin could be in the rotation next year.
  3. Tyler Matzek LHP - Very promising prospect out of high school but some ways to go before he makes an impact
  4. Michael McKenry C - I see a lot of comparisons to Mike Napoli…. Except this Napoli would presumably play every day with half his games in Coors.
  5. Esmil Rogers RHP - High ceiling but still a little raw, got lit up in AAA but he still showed good stuff and it's a tough environment (then again, so is Coors)
  6. Samuel Deduno RHP - Another pitcher with very solid potential but he's coming off Tommy John's
  7. Eric Young Jr 2B/OF - This could spark some disagreements but his questionable defense and the crowded Colorado outfield makes his more immediate prospects distasteful…. He's good enough to contribute as a fantasy guy but he needs a place to play first and I'm worried Colorado will make him a utility player. Rockies fans will know the situation better than me
  8. Wilin Rosario C - Plate discipline holds him back but stud potential
  9. Charles Blackmon OF - Very good roto potential, not much ceiling though
  10. Rex Brothers LHP - Power arm but high risk he ends up in the bullpen

Next: Giants

GIANTS

1. Buster Posey C - Only question for our purposes is how much power he'll have, he hit well in hitter-friendly leagues but he works the count well and still showed good power in the minors… should be 15-20 at least. Also sucks that he's going to be playing for the Giants, I see no end in sight for their offensive woes. Just an observation.
  2. Madison Bumgarner LHP - Ace potential but has a lot of work to do
  3. Zach Wheeler RHP - Another high school kid who could be a front-line starter
  4. Thomas Neal OF - IF he reaches his potential, he's probably more of a 3rd fantasy outfielder.. Good average and power but nothing spectacular.
  5. Darren Ford OF - Little pop but good plate discipline and 80 speed. Needs to prove more
  6. Roger Kieschnik OF - Marginal guy right with bad K/BB, if he fixes that he's got good power
  7. Rafael Rodriguez OF - Very high ceiling as a power hitting outfielder, but only 17
  8. Clayton Tanner LHP - Soft tossing southpaw, 4/5 potential
  9. Chris Dominguez 3B - Big power, big strikeouts, and probably will be moved off 3rd base
  10. Tommy Joseph C - Big power again but unlikely to remain behind the plate

Next: Padres

GIANTS

1. Buster Posey C - Only question for our purposes is how much power he'll have, he hit well in hitter-friendly leagues but he works the count well and still showed good power in the minors… should be 15-20 at least. Also sucks that he's going to be playing for the Giants, I see no end in sight for their offensive woes. Just an observation.
  2. Madison Bumgarner LHP - Ace potential but has a lot of work to do
  3. Zach Wheeler RHP - Another high school kid who could be a front-line starter
  4. Thomas Neal OF - IF he reaches his potential, he's probably more of a 3rd fantasy outfielder.. Good average and power but nothing spectacular.
  5. Darren Ford OF - Little pop but good plate discipline and 80 speed. Needs to prove more
  6. Roger Kieschnik OF - Marginal guy right with bad K/BB, if he fixes that he's got good power
  7. Rafael Rodriguez OF - Very high ceiling as a power hitting outfielder, but only 17
  8. Clayton Tanner LHP - Soft tossing southpaw, 4/5 potential
  9. Chris Dominguez 3B - Big power, big strikeouts, and probably will be moved off 3rd base
  10. Tommy Joseph C - Big power again but unlikely to remain behind the plate

Next: Padres

Thanks for the rankings NoGimmicks you are doing great here buddy.

Me personally though I think Bumgarner is head and shoulders above Posey. At least as far as fantasy wise goes. Posey being a catcher may hold a bit more value as far as real baseball goes.

Also no love for John Bowker? I know he's a bit old to be a flashy prospect (being 26) but his AAA numbers were great. Look at how hard Adam Lind broke out this year after having a good AAA 2 years ago followed with a solid MLB debut. Remember 27 is still the age most people turn legit or fade off.

First, I didn't mention the "few things" that I thought to comment on. Instead I just wanted to point out that while Gregorious is a prospect with talent and upside that it's a little soon to put him on a list of the Reds top prospects even for fantasy purposes. In his, so far, brief 408 plate appearance minor league career that stop where he hit .314 was only 225 pas (and much better than his avg in the other two stops) and he has negligible power. By some counts he's the 4th best ss in that system right now although, as always, that could change.

I probably DID go a little overboard with my previous post so I would have no problem with apologizing to NoGimmicks if he took offense.

Indeed... If I offended you I do apologize as well. But the task at hand here is. Team by Team prospects.

I'm going to help out here with The Reds rankings he has. As I did notice there is only 9 players and like you said Gregorious is a solid prospect but he is less than likely a top 10 guy. I mean there are some quality SPs in the Reds system.

Anyway I'm going to crunch out my rankings for The Reds and then you guys can pick it apart and we'll discuss.

My Cincinnati Reds go according

1. Mike Leak - The best college pitcher not named Stephen Strasburg. The Braves drafted Mike Minor before Leak mainly because Minor is a lefty but not exactly because Minor is a better talent because Leak destroyed Minor's minor league numbers. Scouting report is he has 4 MLB polished pitches. Even though I've seen him say he has 5 in an ESPN interview. Since The Red's last year's #1 pick didn't put together a monster season I'm willing to roll the dice with Mike Leak as there #1 overall prospect.

2. Yonder Alonso OF/1B - Was a beast in college. Showed promise in his first full year in the minors but just didn't really have the monster numbers other players did who were drafted after him. Still adjusting some? I think his power will come around in a big way next year. Potential Super 2 call up in 2010.

3. Juan Francisco 3B - He has put together better numbers than Alonso at higher levels this year. He does have inflated BABIPs and bad peripherals. So it's hard to say if he is better than Alonso (who has great peripherals) at this point.

4. Travis Wood SP - Will be 23 next year. He had a huge year in AA with a 1.21 ERA and a .97 WHIP. Has shown to be a great talent. There are other pitchers in The Red's orginzation that may be a bit closer to the bigs than Wood but those guys don't have as big of a ceiling.

5. Todd Frazier SS - Has very good OPSes for a SS. Is only going to be 24 going into next season. He should beat the likes of Paul Janish and Drew Sutton (another solid prospect on the cusp of being a big leaguer) for the job in Spring Training.

6. Yorman Rodriguez OF - The kid more than held his own in rookie ball at 16. He definatly made some good adjustments once he moved to the mexican league. You gotta love his ceiling. But he is still very raw and very far from the bigs.

7. Chris Heisey OF - He will be 25 in December. The guy crushed this year in AA. He also was more than solid in AAA. He is looking like a 25+ HR candidate. I see him starting off in AAA but could get a call up if he starts the season hot or an injury opens up a spot for him in the OF.

8. Matt Klinker SP - A bit more polished than Travis Wood but he may not have the ceiling height. He has showed a good K/9 over a 108 inning sample made up of time between Adavanced A, AA, and AA. Whoever makes the staff out of Klinker and Maloney could have a JA Happ like effect next year.

9. Matt Maloney SP - Is the most ready for the MLB out of all The Red's pitching prospects. I expect him to make the rotation out of Spring Training. He has good upside. Klinker, Wood, and Maloney are all fairly close talent wise. But Maloney right now is most ready for bigs even if he may have the lowest ceiling potential.

10. Brad Boxberger SP - The Red's suplemental pick (compensation round between the 1st and 2nd rounds) last year. He had good college numbers with a 3.16 ERA, a 9.5 K/9, and a 1.27 WHIP (his best WHIP posted in his NCAA career was a 1.24 in his freshman year). He was the 43rd overall pick. The only pro ball he played this year was in the AFL. He got smacked around in his 12.67 IPs of work there. He also worked mainly out of the pen with 6 relief apperances compared to 2 starts.

My Cincinnati Reds go according

1. Mike Leak - The best college pitcher not named Stephen Strasburg. The Braves drafted Mike Minor before Leak mainly because Minor is a lefty but not exactly because Minor is a better talent because Leak destroyed Minor's minor league numbers. Scouting report is he has 4 MLB polished pitches. Even though I've seen him say he has 5 in an ESPN interview. Since The Red's last year's #1 pick didn't put together a monster season I'm willing to roll the dice with Mike Leak as there #1 overall prospect.

2. Yonder Alonso OF/1B - Was a beast in college. Showed promise in his first full year in the minors but just didn't really have the monster numbers other players did who were drafted after him. Still adjusting some? I think his power will come around in a big way next year. Potential Super 2 call up in 2010.

3. Juan Francisco 3B - He has put together better numbers than Alonso at higher levels this year. He does have inflated BABIPs and bad peripherals. So it's hard to say if he is better than Alonso (who has great peripherals) at this point.

4. Travis Wood SP - Will be 23 next year. He had a huge year in AA with a 1.21 ERA and a .97 WHIP. Has shown to be a great talent. There are other pitchers in The Red's orginzation that may be a bit closer to the bigs than Wood but those guys don't have as big of a ceiling.

5. Todd Frazier SS - Has very good OPSes for a SS. Is only going to be 24 going into next season. He should beat the likes of Paul Janish and Drew Sutton (another solid prospect on the cusp of being a big leaguer) for the job in Spring Training.

6. Yorman Rodriguez OF - The kid more than held his own in rookie ball at 16. He definatly made some good adjustments once he moved to the mexican league. You gotta love his ceiling. But he is still very raw and very far from the bigs.

7. Chris Heisey OF - He will be 25 in December. The guy crushed this year in AA. He also was more than solid in AAA. He is looking like a 25+ HR candidate. I see him starting off in AAA but could get a call up if he starts the season hot or an injury opens up a spot for him in the OF.

8. Matt Klinker SP - A bit more polished than Travis Wood but he may not have the ceiling height. He has showed a good K/9 over a 108 inning sample made up of time between Adavanced A, AA, and AA. Whoever makes the staff out of Klinker and Maloney could have a JA Happ like effect next year.

9. Matt Maloney SP - Is the most ready for the MLB out of all The Red's pitching prospects. I expect him to make the rotation out of Spring Training. He has good upside. Klinker, Wood, and Maloney are all fairly close talent wise. But Maloney right now is most ready for bigs even if he may have the lowest ceiling potential.

10. Brad Boxberger SP - The Red's suplemental pick (compensation round between the 1st and 2nd rounds) last year. He had good college numbers with a 3.16 ERA, a 9.5 K/9, and a 1.27 WHIP (his best WHIP posted in his NCAA career was a 1.24 in his freshman year). He was the 43rd overall pick. The only pro ball he played this year was in the AFL. He got smacked around in his 12.67 IPs of work there. He also worked mainly out of the pen with 6 relief apperances compared to 2 starts.

I don't see how you can put Francisco over Frazier. Francisco put up a better OPS in AA this season and he did it with good BB/K ratios. Francisco hardly ever walks and while his power is enticing especially in that ballpark I don't see him making a significant fantasy impact with the bat unless he can improve his approach. Frazier also has a better chance of playing a more valuable position (hopefully 2nd, maybe 3rd), whereas Francisco is probably going to end up at first base or in the outfield. Only thing Francisco has over Frazier is he's a little younger.

This also I guess depends on what the Reds do, I read from Jon Fay the other day that Frazier will be playing in left field next year. I still don't know what was the point of the Scott Rolen trade.

Just my two cents

PADRES

1. James Darnell 3B - Total package as a hitter, but a bit sloppy at 3rd and may have to move to the outfield
  2. Jaff Decker OF - Big power and excellent patience. As with all Padres prospects you have to worry about the Petco effect. Decker and Darnell are somewhat interchangeable for me.
  3. Donovan Tate OF - Very high ceiling as a power/speed guy but more of an athlete right now than a baseball player
  4. Aaron Poreda LHP - Wasn't sure where to put him, it looks like he's going to stay in the bullpen which is disappointing. Still could be a lights out closer down the line
  5. Simon Castro RHP - Great arm and great stuff, if he develops his changeup he's a #2/#3 starter.
  6. Wynn Pelzer RHP - #3 starter potential, maybe more
  7. Dexter Carter RHP - Same as above, a little underrated maybe. Fell apart after the trade
  8. Everett Williams OF - Very similar to Tate but not as much ceiling
  9. Logan Forsythe 3B - Solid hitter but not enough power
  10. Adys Portillo RHP - High ceiling but very raw Latin arm

Keep in mind this system has a lot of interesting prospects and as always the Padres are under the radar so you might be able to find some good sleepers here. I had to leave off 5-6 names.

NEXT: Diamondbacks

Thanks for the rankings NoGimmicks you are doing great here buddy.

Me personally though I think Bumgarner is head and shoulders above Posey. At least as far as fantasy wise goes. Posey being a catcher may hold a bit more value as far as real baseball goes.

Also no love for John Bowker? I know he's a bit old to be a flashy prospect (being 26) but his AAA numbers were great. Look at how hard Adam Lind broke out this year after having a good AAA 2 years ago followed with a solid MLB debut. Remember 27 is still the age most people turn legit or fade off.

I didn't see this before, but Bowker already has like 300 AB's in the majors so he doesn't qualify. I'm not sure if he'll ever get a real chance by the Giants either.

DIAMONDBACKS

1. Jarrod Parker RHP - Unfortunately went under the knife but still has the highest ceiling In the system. Up to you on how much you want to devalue him as a prospect
  2. Brandon Allen 1B - K-rates have declined over past couple years in the minors and he has a wide open shot at the job in Arizona next year. Chase Field also a hitters park, so he's a solid prospect.
  3. Matt Davidson 3B - Good bat with power/average but defense is questionable
  4. Bobby Borchering 3B - Same as above, but Davidson gets ranked higher due to reports of improving defense
  5. Wade Miley LHP - Solid #3/#4 starter but he needs to prove himself at higher levels
  6. Daniel Schlereth LHP - Closer potential, erratic control, long medical history. But very impressive arm
  7. Kevin Eichorn RHP - Similar potential to Miley but hasn't pitched past rookie ball
  8. AJ Pollock OF - Marginal power/speed guy
  9. Chris Owings SS - Average speed, decent power ,will be a solid hitter for average, but probably will only make a marginal impact in fantasy
  10. Mike Belfiore LHP - Solid potential as a starter but hasn't pitched much yet

6 of these guys are 09 draftees, several of them high schoolers. So if you are looking for guys who will quickly make it to the majors this is not for you.

Only one team left. Next: Dodgers.

Some notes about guys featured on BA's Arizona Fall League Top 10 list (Subscribers only)

• Josh Bell 3B - You can tell I like this kid a lot and BA reiterates how impressed people are with his improved defense.
  • Brandon Allen 1B - Scouts are saying he only hit mistake pitches last season and he's going to get exposed
  • Nick Weglarz OF - Might be having surgery in his shin
  • David Cooper 1B - Sucks
  • Jonathan Lucroy C - Was impressive and should grow into more power and this isn't from BA but I've heard a lot in Brewerland that he's the frontrunner to land the job next year

PADRES

1. James Darnell 3B - Total package as a hitter, but a bit sloppy at 3rd and may have to move to the outfield
  2. Jaff Decker OF - Big power and excellent patience. As with all Padres prospects you have to worry about the Petco effect. Decker and Darnell are somewhat interchangeable for me.
  3. Donovan Tate OF - Very high ceiling as a power/speed guy but more of an athlete right now than a baseball player
  4. Aaron Poreda LHP - Wasn't sure where to put him, it looks like he's going to stay in the bullpen which is disappointing. Still could be a lights out closer down the line
  5. Simon Castro RHP - Great arm and great stuff, if he develops his changeup he's a #2/#3 starter.
  6. Wynn Pelzer RHP - #3 starter potential, maybe more
  7. Dexter Carter RHP - Same as above, a little underrated maybe. Fell apart after the trade
  8. Everett Williams OF - Very similar to Tate but not as much ceiling
  9. Logan Forsythe 3B - Solid hitter but not enough power
  10. Adys Portillo RHP - High ceiling but very raw Latin arm

Keep in mind this system has a lot of interesting prospects and as always the Padres are under the radar so you might be able to find some good sleepers here. I had to leave off 5-6 names.

NEXT: Diamondbacks

Big Jaff Decker fan here, and I think this is a guy who will shoot up prospect lists in the near future if he continues to develop at an expected rate. At this stage in his career, he reminds me a lot of Travis Snider, who was always listed as one of the top prospects in the game, yet, Decker doesn't yet get the notice he deserves. I understand he doesn't have the same athleticism as Snider, which doesn't bode well for his future defensive contributions, but if we're looking at this solely from a fantasy perspective, here is a comparison of both players' age 19 seasons:

Snider - age 19 - (Lo A)

AB: 457, AVG/OBP/SLG: .313/.377/.525, HR: 16, RBI: 93, BB/SO: 49/129

Decker - age 19 (Lo A)

AB: 358, AVG/OBP/SLG: .299/.442/.514, HR: 16, RBI: 64, BB/SO: 85/92

This is obviously a relatively small sample size, but this was Decker's first full season of pro ball. He hit the same amount of HR's as Snider did at the same age, but in 100 less AB's (though I admittedly do not know what effect each league & its parks have on hitters). Also of note, the BB/SO ratio, which indicates Decker is better at controlling the strike zone, and is one of my favorite indicators of future performance.

I don't see how you can put Francisco over Frazier. Francisco put up a better OPS in AA this season and he did it with good BB/K ratios. Francisco hardly ever walks and while his power is enticing especially in that ballpark I don't see him making a significant fantasy impact with the bat unless he can improve his approach. Frazier also has a better chance of playing a more valuable position (hopefully 2nd, maybe 3rd), whereas Francisco is probably going to end up at first base or in the outfield. Only thing Francisco has over Frazier is he's a little younger.

This also I guess depends on what the Reds do, I read from Jon Fay the other day that Frazier will be playing in left field next year. I still don't know what was the point of the Scott Rolen trade.

Just my two cents

Todd Frazier is a year older and was by far out produced by what Juan Francisco did.

Yes Francisco's peripherals need some work. His contact rate could use some work (even though it's not far below average) and his BB rate is nearly non existant. But the thing that does it for me is the fact that Francisco has so much more power potential and is a year younger. Juan Francisco is looking to have legit power which will be far more beneficial in the band box known as Great American Ball Park than Todd Frazier's better BB rate. I don't expect him to be a wizard in the average department but an average in the .270's sounds about right.

Even though I personally rank Francisco higher I regard them both fairly close. The main thing to me is how much more power Francisco has shown. Obviously Frazier is a SS which does give him a bit more fantasy value than his numbers entail. But for the difference in power I'm willing to look for a SS else where.

Also I see very little chance Francisco moves over to 1B with Votto / Alonso.

Yes he might play some LF here and there. But I highly doubt that he (or Todd Frazier for that matter) ever gets full time there with all the young talent The Reds have in the OF. Balentien / Dickerson in LF, Stubbs / Willy Tavarez in CF, Bruce / Gomes in RF. That is one of the deepest OFs in all of baseball. Stubbs, Balentien, and Bruce all under 26.

Also keep in mind the Reds do not have a 3B for the future (They have Rolen at 11 mil for next year). As well as upon Francisco's call up he played all games in the field at 3B and 3B only.

So it pretty much leaves Francisco at 3B which is really one of there main needs right now. Francisco will compete for the job out of Spring Training. Will probably start the season in AAA and then see a call up depending on his performance coupled with Rolen's performance / health.

Todd Frazier is a year older and was by far out produced by what Juan Francisco did.

Yes Francisco's peripherals need some work. His contact rate could use some work (even though it's not far below average) and his BB rate is nearly non existant. But the thing that does it for me is the fact that Francisco has so much more power potential and is a year younger. Juan Francisco is looking to have legit power which will be far more beneficial in the band box known as Great American Ball Park than Todd Frazier's better BB rate. I don't expect him to be a wizard in the average department but an average in the .270's sounds about right.

Even though I personally rank Francisco higher I regard them both fairly close. The main thing to me is how much more power Francisco has shown. Obviously Frazier is a SS which does give him a bit more fantasy value than his numbers entail. But for the difference in power I'm willing to look for a SS else where.

Also I see very little chance Francisco moves over to 1B with Votto / Alonso.

Yes he might play some LF here and there. But I highly doubt that he (or Todd Frazier for that matter) ever gets full time there with all the young talent The Reds have in the OF. Balentien / Dickerson in LF, Stubbs / Willy Tavarez in CF, Bruce / Gomes in RF. That is one of the deepest OFs in all of baseball. Stubbs, Balentien, and Bruce all under 26.

Also keep in mind the Reds do not have a 3B for the future (They have Rolen at 11 mil for next year). As well as upon Francisco's call up he played all games in the field at 3B and 3B only.

So it pretty much leaves Francisco at 3B which is really one of there main needs right now. Francisco will compete for the job out of Spring Training. Will probably start the season in AAA and then see a call up depending on his performance coupled with Rolen's performance / health.

Ok we disagree about where Francisco's going to play, because you're forgetting Frazier could be the 3B of the future. With Phillips entrenched in second and Frazier's glove not good enough to play at SS, and with the outfield logjam I see it more likely Frazier will play third than Francisco despite the latter's stronger arm. All in all Frazier seems to be the more athletic one so that should factor into valuing both of these prospects and where they are likely to end up on the diamond. I see Francisco as a guy will will hit .260-.270 with maybe 30 home runs (yes I know his power potential is even more than that) and at first base or the outfield that is solid but not as good as Frazier at 2B/3B hitting .280-.290 with 20-25 home runs. Maybe a Reds fan can shed more light on this...

DODGERS

1. Devaris Gordon SS - Great speed and solid pop, needs to improve plate discipline. Might move to outfield, still great potential either way but I think he can stay at short

2. Chris Withrow RHP - Hype building for this kid, very high ceiling arm

3. Ethan Martin RHP - Another high ceiling arm , needs better control

4. Ivan DeJesus Jr SS - Could be a solid SS or 2B, not a stud and he didn't play at all in 2009 because of injury

5. Allen Webster RHP - Underrated arm in rookie ball, frontline potential

6. Aaron Miller LHP - Stud pitching prospect but needs a third pitch

7. Blake Smith OF/RHP - As a pitcher, closer potential. As a hitter, power hitting outfielder with questionable contact skills

8. Trayvon Robinson OF - Speedy but bad plate discipline

9. Kyle Russell OF - All about power, will hurt your average… if he even makes it

10. Anthony Delmonico C - Potential for a solid starting C

That was the last one. Yesterday the Blue Jays list was released and Zach Stewart was #1. That was the first list we did and I completely left him off because I thought he was a reliever and it still looks like there is a high chance of him ending up in the pen, but now that I know more he would most certainly be in the top 5 along with Drabek, Wallace, D'Arnaud, and the other guys who got drafted. That farm as a whole was terrible but it will look a lot different now for a top 10 list. The only other oversight I really regret was the Royals list I think Montgomery should be higher and I put Hosmer too high. Any more comments/criticisms are appreciated.