Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NoGimmicks

Team-by-team Fantasy Prospect Rankings

DODGERS

1. Devaris Gordon SS - Great speed and solid pop, needs to improve plate discipline. Might move to outfield, still great potential either way but I think he can stay at short

2. Chris Withrow RHP - Hype building for this kid, very high ceiling arm

3. Ethan Martin RHP - Another high ceiling arm , needs better control

4. Ivan DeJesus Jr SS - Could be a solid SS or 2B, not a stud and he didn't play at all in 2009 because of injury

5. Allen Webster RHP - Underrated arm in rookie ball, frontline potential

6. Aaron Miller LHP - Stud pitching prospect but needs a third pitch

7. Blake Smith OF/RHP - As a pitcher, closer potential. As a hitter, power hitting outfielder with questionable contact skills

8. Trayvon Robinson OF - Speedy but bad plate discipline

9. Kyle Russell OF - All about power, will hurt your average… if he even makes it

10. Anthony Delmonico C - Potential for a solid starting C

That was the last one. Yesterday the Blue Jays list was released and Zach Stewart was #1. That was the first list we did and I completely left him off because I thought he was a reliever and it still looks like there is a high chance of him ending up in the pen, but now that I know more he would most certainly be in the top 5 along with Drabek, Wallace, D'Arnaud, and the other guys who got drafted. That farm as a whole was terrible but it will look a lot different now for a top 10 list. The only other oversight I really regret was the Royals list I think Montgomery should be higher and I put Hosmer too high. Any more comments/criticisms are appreciated.

josh lindblom is a pretty big miss off the dodgers list........dude is going to be a starter in the majors and it won't be long......big time fastball with a slider, splitter, and change-up that resulted in a nice K and BB ratios in '09......gammons is a fan, calling him the best young arm he saw in arizona last spring.......could have a very significant '10 impact and his upside is #2 or #3 with good K numbers

josh lindblom is a pretty big miss off the dodgers list........dude is going to be a starter in the majors and it won't be long......big time fastball with a slider, splitter, and change-up that resulted in a nice K and BB ratios in '09......gammons is a fan, calling him the best young arm he saw in arizona last spring.......could have a very significant '10 impact and his upside is #2 or #3 with good K numbers

That's not what Baseball America says

LAD list is missing Lambo and Lindblom.....

I'd slot both in top 5. Elbert should round out the top 10 also. Tought system to rank. I follow this one probably the closest.

LAD list is missing Lambo and Lindblom.....

I'd slot both in top 5. Elbert should round out the top 10 also. Tought system to rank. I follow this one probably the closest.

Lambo should be on there for sure. Even though he had a bit of a down year, you have to consider he is only 20 and in AA. He also tore it up last year at 19 for an 8 game promotion after putting up impressive A ball numbers in the same year.

Lambo should be on there for sure. Even though he had a bit of a down year, you have to consider he is only 20 and in AA. He also tore it up last year at 19 for an 8 game promotion after putting up impressive A ball numbers in the same year.

I own Lambo in one league so I'm aware of him, but yeah he could probably be on this list somewhere near the bottom with the other hitting prospects. Again I don't see the need to include Lindblom when at this stage he is still a reliever.

I own Lambo in one league so I'm aware of him, but yeah he could probably be on this list somewhere near the bottom with the other hitting prospects. Again I don't see the need to include Lindblom when at this stage he is still a reliever.

ned colletti disagrees, and i think his opinion matters - he has gone on record stating that lindblom will open 2010 as a starter

ned colletti disagrees, and i think his opinion matters - he has gone on record stating that lindblom will open 2010 as a starter

BA says in their new list in black and white that the Dodgers are developing Lindblom as a bullpen arm, that's what I went by. But if Colletti says differently then that will change things obviously

BA says in their new list in black and white that the Dodgers are developing Lindblom as a bullpen arm, that's what I went by. But if Colletti says differently then that will change things obviously

colletti has said that lindblom will compete for the 5th starter job on the big club and will begin 2010 as a starter

he certainly belongs on any top 10 that wants to be taken seriously - in fact, he ranked #5 on the almighty BA's, which you seem to put a lot of importance on!

colletti has said that lindblom will compete for the 5th starter job on the big club and will begin 2010 as a starter

he certainly belongs on any top 10 that wants to be taken seriously - in fact, he ranked #5 on the almighty BA's, which you seem to put a lot of importance on!

I put importance on baseball America for their scouting reports not for their value judgements. If they say lindblom is being developed as a reliever then I take that seriously. If they say a reliever is the fifth best prospect that's a judgement call I can't agree with. I don't think relief prospects are worth owning in fantasy baseball and I think they have little value in real life as well.

However I appreciate you bringing this to the thread and if that's the case lindblom would be in the top five

I put importance on baseball America for their scouting reports not for their value judgements. If they say lindblom is being developed as a reliever then I take that seriously. If they say a reliever is the fifth best prospect that's a judgement call I can't agree with. I don't think relief prospects are worth owning in fantasy baseball and I think they have little value in real life as well.

However I appreciate you bringing this to the thread and if that's the case lindblom would be in the top five

It seems like they experimented with him being a starter this year at AA and his numbers weren't what they hoped for. So they bumped him up to AA and put him in the pen and his numbers were much better.

The guy is more than likely a pen arm. If he does at one point develop into a starter it'll most likely be awhile before he is a relevant fantasy SP.

Reasons being.

1) He has low inning totals. It will take a few years to build his arm up to be able to go 200 IPs.

2) The Dodgers are an organization that has a ton of talented young arms.

3) The Dodgers are also an organization that loves to expriement with throwing guys into the pen to break them into the league.

- Chad Billingsley, James McDonald, Scott Elbert, Jonathan Meloan, etc.

Ok we disagree about where Francisco's going to play, because you're forgetting Frazier could be the 3B of the future. With Phillips entrenched in second and Frazier's glove not good enough to play at SS, and with the outfield logjam I see it more likely Frazier will play third than Francisco despite the latter's stronger arm. All in all Frazier seems to be the more athletic one so that should factor into valuing both of these prospects and where they are likely to end up on the diamond. I see Francisco as a guy will will hit .260-.270 with maybe 30 home runs (yes I know his power potential is even more than that) and at first base or the outfield that is solid but not as good as Frazier at 2B/3B hitting .280-.290 with 20-25 home runs. Maybe a Reds fan can shed more light on this...

Juan Francisco and Todd Frazier got bad news for you guys, Scott Rolen just signed an extension....better start shagging fly balls in practice

even before the halliday trade the jays list was a little sketchy, so even though this is not my thing, off the top of my head, here is my post trade version; and hopefully someone more knowledgeable than myself will come along and give you a proper list.....

ok so assuming snider, cecil and zip have all graduated.....and just as a sidenote, Zip makes for one underrated young arm next season

1. Drabek

2. Wallace

3. D'Naud

4. um a hockey puck?

5. Zack Stewart

6. Chad Jenkins

7. jp arencibia.....nothing to see here!

8. Carlos Perez

9. Jake Marsnick

10. Josh Roenicke

11. Moises Sierra

It seems like they experimented with him being a starter this year at AA and his numbers weren't what they hoped for. So they bumped him up to AA and put him in the pen and his numbers were much better.

The guy is more than likely a pen arm. If he does at one point develop into a starter it'll most likely be awhile before he is a relevant fantasy SP.

Reasons being.

1) He has low inning totals. It will take a few years to build his arm up to be able to go 200 IPs.

2) The Dodgers are an organization that has a ton of talented young arms.

3) The Dodgers are also an organization that loves to expriement with throwing guys into the pen to break them into the league.

- Chad Billingsley, James McDonald, Scott Elbert, Jonathan Meloan, etc.

i don't think lindblom's numbers in AA were a disappointment at all -he K'd 7.22/9 and put up a great walk rate of only 2.2/9......WHIP was an impressive 1.20 and his FIP was actually lower in AA then his stint in AAA

his move to the pen had nothing to do with performance.......the reason he was moved to the pen in the second half of the year is mostly due to an innings cap - looking at his yearly steps:

'07 - 56.2 IP

'08 - 74.2 IP

'09 - 96.2 IP

if they would have left him in the rotation all year he would have doubled his '08 innings and the dodgers are smarter then that......so they are slowly building him up.......i'd expect him to hit around 130-140 IP next year with the majority of those innings from the rotation

a secondary reason why they moved him to the bullpen in the second half was they thought they might need him down the stretch and wanted him ready to step immediately into their bullpen if needed

it will likely take him another year or two to reach 200 IP, but in the meantime he could have a serious contribution to the dodgers rotation and be very fantasy relevant during that time

Yeah I forgot to bring up the innings capping for Lindblom. Kershaw had the same thing happen to him w/ his innings. I'm a die hard Dodger fan and I know he'll get every possible chance to be a starter until he falters and forces the move to the bullpen. I'd put the odds at 65% for now if I had to bet on it.

I love the work, although I have a couple of disagreements. One, Alex Avila has shown elite bat skills, although his defense needs work. I think he's getting underrated in several aspects. He'll likely platoon in Detroit this year. Another one I like is Liddi, although I can understand his skeptics. His frame is quite interesting, and the power seems legit.

I love the work, although I have a couple of disagreements. One, Alex Avila has shown elite bat skills, although his defense needs work. I think he's getting underrated in several aspects. He'll likely platoon in Detroit this year. Another one I like is Liddi, although I can understand his skeptics. His frame is quite interesting, and the power seems legit.

Yes the main knock against Liddi is that he did it in the California league. Which is a total hitters paradise. The way I look at it is Liddi was a top hitter in that league and was clearly playing above his age level so that more than balances it out for me...

Good hitters come out of good hitting leagues all the time. Sometimes that's all it takes to get a players confidence level up is for them to have a huge season in a good hitters league.

ROYALS

1) Michael Moustakas 3B - Not a great year In the minors but ceiling very high, and reports indicate he's worked hard on his defense at third so hopefully he will stay there. Patience at the plate is the main concern right now

2) Eric Hosmer 1B - Another guy with a bad year in the low levels, but bat is very special and only just turned 20 a few days ago.

3) Aaron Crow RHP - Maybe the highest ceiling Royals pitcher and should be able to contribute fairly soon. #2 fantasy starter

4) Tim Melville RHP - Should be a #3 at least, maybe more, but far away

5) Michael Montgomery LHP - Great numbers this year in the low levels, can get groundouts and K's. See how he does as he moves up the ladder. Another #3 starter.

6) Daniel Duffy LHP - #3/#4 fantasy starter, nothing special

7) Wil Myers C - Questionable whether he can remain at C, if he can then he's potentially an impact bat at the position

8) David Lough OF - Not gonna be a stud but does a lot of different things well. Might be more valuable in real life though. Worth checking for in only very deep leagues

9) Kila Kaaihue 1B - No fantasy relevance unless Jacobs is released or someone gets traded. But plate discipline is excellent… he's getting old for the minors though. Still think he deserves a shot.

As you can see for a dynasty/keeper league I would much rather have the high-ceiling bats in Moustakas and Hosmer even though they didn't do well this year, rather than mid-rotation pitching prospects who actually put up good numbers in the minors. That's my preference though, not everyone is the same.

Next: Tigers

What do you think of the somewhat recently signed Noel Arguelles?

Yeah thanks I corrected myself in the post right after it

ROCKIES

1. Jhoulys Chacin RHP - #2/#3 starter potential. Developing his curveball is the main concern
  2. Christian Friedrich LHP - Similar ceiling, I should probably have put him first because his K-rates are much better than Chacin's have ever been, but he's further behind and Chacin could be in the rotation next year.
  3. Tyler Matzek LHP - Very promising prospect out of high school but some ways to go before he makes an impact

Most outlets (BA, ESPN, etc.) have Matzek ahead of Friedrich. Just wondering what you liked in Friedrich to put him over Matzek? Is it just his timeclock being much shorter until he makes it to the bigs?

YANKEES:

7. Zach McAllister RHP - Nothing interesting here. #5 fantasy starter, at best

There's a fairly wide variety of opinion out there on Zach McAllister. Not that anyone is calling him a stud, but some feel that he could be a solid #3 SP. For ex., I've seen comparisons to a notch just below Mike Leake & Mike Minor.

Most outlets (BA, ESPN, etc.) have Matzek ahead of Friedrich. Just wondering what you liked in Friedrich to put him over Matzek? Is it just his timeclock being much shorter until he makes it to the bigs?

Basically, I know Matzek has the higher ceiling. I wouldn't make a big deal over the exact order, you're not gaining or losing much going with either guy. For the record BP has Friedrich ahead of Matzek, and Sickels has Matzek, Friedrich, and Chacin all getting the same grade

There's a fairly wide variety of opinion out there on Zach McAllister. Not that anyone is calling him a stud, but some feel that he could be a solid #3 SP. For ex., I've seen comparisons to a notch just below Mike Leake & Mike Minor.

I realize that, and I've also seen reports he's more of a back-end guy. His stuff just isn't that impressive and he's not someone I'd want except for the deepest of leagues.

What do you think of the somewhat recently signed Noel Arguelles?

He looks like a strong prospect, I don't know a lot about him but I saw Callis say in a chat that while he doesn't have the ceiling of Chapman he may be less risky and more polished if you want a safer bet. On that list I'd maybe put him around number 5-7. Actually as I said earlier I wasn't happy with the way I did the Royals list, if I did it now itd be

1) Montgomery

2) Moustakas

3) Crow

4) Mýers

5) Melville

6) Hosmer

7) Arguelles

8) Duffy

9) Lough

10) Kila

For the record Lindblom is working out of the pen so far...

They recently moved him back. Didn't think he'd last as a SP really anyways, but has closer potential.

even before the halliday trade the jays list was a little sketchy, so even though this is not my thing, off the top of my head, here is my post trade version; and hopefully someone more knowledgeable than myself will come along and give you a proper list.....

ok so assuming snider, cecil and zip have all graduated.....and just as a sidenote, Zip makes for one underrated young arm next season

1. Drabek

2. Wallace

3. D'Naud

4. um a hockey puck?

5. Zack Stewart

6. Chad Jenkins

7. jp arencibia.....nothing to see here!

8. Carlos Perez

9. Jake Marsnick

10. Josh Roenicke

11. Moises Sierra

B)

I was wondering about Max Stassi, is he the Athletics catcher of the future? And if so when would his ETA be?