Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

yort1919

MAKE THIS BLOCKBUSTER DEAL???

I have been recently offered this deal. I am planning on going for it next year. Don't look at my signature because its not updated. I am in a 4x4 AL only keeper league. The players that im planning on keeping for sure next year are the following:

C-

C-

1B-

2B-JOSE LOPEZ- 7.00

3B-CHONE FIGGINS- 29.00

SS-

MI-

CO-

OF-BRETT GARDNER- 20.00

OF-JOSH HAMILTON- 27.00

OF-MELKY CABRERA- 2.00

OF-

OF-

DH-

P-JOE NATHAN- 36.00

P-KEVIN SLOWEY- 10.00

P-MATT GARZA- 14.00

P-ANDY PETTITE- 8.00

P-JP HOWELL- 4.00

P-

P-

P-

P-

Now I have others that aren't on this list such as 2 catchers both at 6.00, who i know i can buy back for that price. I have Brandon Wood who I don't know if he has a starting job. I have Yuniesky Betancourt for 9.00 but I think is too high. Also Dustin McGowan at 8.00.

The trade that has been proposed to me is the following:

I give up:

1ST OVERALL MINOR LEAGUE PICK(2010)

2ND ROUND MINOR LEAGUE PICK(2011)

JESUS MONTERO

MELKY CABRERA

I recieve:

BJ UPTON-31.00

HOWIE KENDRICK-20.00

DO I DO THIS DEAL OR NOT? THNAKS

I would do it. You are getting a top OF'er in BJ Upton, And a good 2B man with high upside. for a catcher who hasn't even played a big league game yet & Melky who is alright as a player. But Upton is better in the end.

I would do it. You are getting a top OF'er in BJ Upton, And a good 2B man with high upside. for a catcher who hasn't even played a big league game yet & Melky who is alright as a player. But Upton is better in the end.

The only problem I have with doing this deal is that there are rumours that Upton will be traded this offseason? anyone else heard of this? Is Kendrick a bandaid? Also if I were to get Victor Martinez (22.00) for the 1ST OVERALL MINOR LEAGUE PICK and JESUS MONTERO, and I think he wants something else too....would that be a better bargain for my squad? I believe he wants JP HOWELL

I am curious if he will be the closer in Tampa Bay next year. Let me know, thanks

OF-BRETT GARDNER- 20.00

OF-JOSH HAMILTON- 27.00

IMO, both of those guys are seriously overpriced and could be had for less at the draft. Gardner isn't a full time player and Hamilton is coming off an injury plagued season.

The trade that has been proposed to me is the following:

I'm not a big fan of dealing for minor league picks because you're dealing for an unknown. That said, I'd gladly deal away those four things, but not for Upton and Kendrick. I know you're in a 4x4, but SB is only one category.

IMO, both of those guys are seriously overpriced and could be had for less at the draft. Gardner isn't a full time player and Hamilton is coming off an injury plagued season.

I'm not a big fan of dealing for minor league picks because you're dealing for an unknown. That said, I'd gladly deal away those four things, but not for Upton and Kendrick. I know you're in a 4x4, but SB is only one category.

What about JP HOWELL? Will he be the Rays closer in 2010? What about the Victor Martinez scenario? I have recieved one other good offer and don't know it its any better. The other offer I recieved was to give the 1ST OVERALL MINOR PICK and BRANDON WOOD(15.00), In return I would recieve MARIANO RIVERRA(35.00), SCOTT KAZMIR(16.00), AJ PIERZNINSKI(6.00), and his FIRST ROUND DRAFT PICK(8TH). PLEASE HELP!!!!!!

I have been recently offered this deal. I am planning on going for it next year. Don't look at my signature because its not updated. I am in a 4x4 AL only keeper league. The players that im planning on keeping for sure next year are the following:

2B-JOSE LOPEZ- 7.00

3B-CHONE FIGGINS- 29.00

OF-BRETT GARDNER- 20.00

OF-JOSH HAMILTON- 27.00

OF-MELKY CABRERA- 2.00

P-JOE NATHAN- 36.00

P-KEVIN SLOWEY- 10.00

P-MATT GARZA- 14.00

P-ANDY PETTITE- 8.00

P-JP HOWELL- 4.00

I hate to be so blunt, but I think this keeper list is really quite pitiful. Melky is pretty good for two bucks, and I guess Howell and Lopez are nice keepers. The rest are full-priced players who are pretty close to worthless in a $260 league. Slowey, coming off wrist surgery? Hamilton at $27, coming off a lost season? No thanks.

In your position, I would NOT be trading away top-talent minor leaguers to play for next year. Go into the draft next year, hope you do well, and in late May decide if you should make a run for the title. If you have a great draft, you just might make it, but I'm guessing you have a middle-of-the-pack team at best.

I hate to be so blunt, but I think this keeper list is really quite pitiful. Melky is pretty good for two bucks, and I guess Howell and Lopez are nice keepers. The rest are full-priced players who are pretty close to worthless in a $260 league. Slowey, coming off wrist surgery? Hamilton at $27, coming off a lost season? No thanks.

In your position, I would NOT be trading away top-talent minor leaguers to play for next year. Go into the draft next year, hope you do well, and in late May decide if you should make a run for the title. If you have a great draft, you just might make it, but I'm guessing you have a middle-of-the-pack team at best.

I have other keepers too, i just decided to get rid of them. What about HOWELL? will he be the closer in tampa? What about the trade scenarios above? which do you think is the best deal for my squad?

What about JP HOWELL? Will he be the Rays closer in 2010?

It's October 2009 so who knows?

What about the Victor Martinez scenario?

He's at value at $22 so I'd pass there as well.

I have recieved one other good offer and don't know it its any better. The other offer I recieved was to give the 1ST OVERALL MINOR PICK and BRANDON WOOD(15.00), In return I would recieve MARIANO RIVERRA(35.00), SCOTT KAZMIR(16.00), AJ PIERZNINSKI(6.00), and his FIRST ROUND DRAFT PICK(8TH). PLEASE HELP!!!!!!

All of those guys are at or above value (would you really keep Mo at $35?) so I would pass there as well.

The time for keeper trades is March, when teams begin to take shape.

I hate to be so blunt, but I think this keeper list is really quite pitiful.

Unfortunately, I agree. Sorry Yort.

The only problem I have with doing this deal is that there are rumours that Upton will be traded this offseason? anyone else heard of this? Is Kendrick a bandaid? Also if I were to get Victor Martinez (22.00) for the 1ST OVERALL MINOR LEAGUE PICK and JESUS MONTERO, and I think he wants something else too....would that be a better bargain for my squad? I believe he wants JP HOWELL

I am curious if he will be the closer in Tampa Bay next year. Let me know, thanks

B.J. Upton aint going anywhere. He is still signed with Rays for a few more years.

B.J. Upton aint going anywhere. He is still signed with Rays for a few more years.

So what if I could get AROD(42.00) and KENDRICK(20.00) for the 1ST ROUND MINOR PICK, 2ND ROUND PICK(2011), MELKY CABRERA(2.00), and JESUS MONTERO. Would this be a better deal?

So what if I could get AROD(42.00) and KENDRICK(20.00) for the 1ST ROUND MINOR PICK, 2ND ROUND PICK(2011), MELKY CABRERA(2.00), and JESUS MONTERO. Would this be a better deal?

No, no, no, no, no.

ARod and Kendrick are essentially worthless. The basic point in a keeper league is that you need to keep players that are priced below their actual value. ARod's actual value is generally between $40-$50, depending on his health and whether he has a very good year or a truly great year. Kendrick is probably about a $20 player at best. At those prices ($42 and $20), you would be better off throwing them back into the draft and trying to draft them, or someone else, cheaper.

DON'T KEEPER SUPERSTARS JUST BECAUSE THEY ARE STARS. Keep them because they are underpriced. All your deals seem to be predicated on getting quality players who are priced at fair value. This is a recipe for mediocrity in a keeper league. You only win with underpriced players, not players priced at fair value.

By comparison, Melky is a stud keeper at $2. .270 / 13 / 65 / 10 for two bucks? Fanstastic.

ARod at $42 for Melky at $2 is a lousy deal. Giving up yuor entire farm system for Kendrick is even worse.

I would do it. Arod & Kendrick are NOT worthless as the other guy said. Arod gives your 3B spot a huge upgrade. as he is one of the best ball players around.

Kendrick is a nice up and coming 2B who can hit for Avg, and drive in runs and steal you some bags along the way. Plus hits in a good LAA lineup helps out his value when he has guys hitting in front of him. That leads to Howie getting on base alot.

All U are doing is just giving up 2 picks. and a ok OF in Melky and a guy who hasn't even played 1 game yet. It would be very hard to pass this deal up IMO. so get yourself AROD and win big.

I would do it. Arod & Kendrick are NOT worthless as the other guy said. Arod gives your 3B spot a huge upgrade. as he is one of the best ball players around.

This is an Auction league, not a Draft league. How is Kendrick worth more than $20? And ARod might be worth more marginally more than $42, but not much. Neither of those guys are no-brainer keepers at the price (unlike Melky, who is a no-brainer keeper at $2). The problem with the trade is it eats up $62 of the guy's $260 budget on two players. The trade is really this:

ARod and Kendrick ($62)

for

Melky ($2), Three Farm Players, and $60 of draft-day budget

Melky and the three farm players are worth a lot more than Kendrick. And as good as ARod is, he sure ain't worth sixty bucks. This deal isn't even close.

No, no, no, no, no.

I agree 100%. I just finished my 10th season in al AL only keeper auction league and under no circumstances would I make that trade.

The basic point in a keeper league is that you need to keep players that are priced below their actual value. ARod's actual value is generally between $40-$50, depending on his health and whether he has a very good year or a truly great year. Kendrick is probably about a $20 player at best. At those prices ($42 and $20), you would be better off throwing them back into the draft and trying to draft them, or someone else, cheaper.

Exactly. Last season someone in my league bought A-Rod for $30, knowing he'd miss the first month of the season. That owner came in 5th (out of 10), but now he has A-Rod for $30 as a keeper. THAT's a great value keep.

DON'T KEEPER SUPERSTARS JUST BECAUSE THEY ARE STARS. Keep them because they are underpriced. All your deals seem to be predicated on getting quality players who are priced at fair value. This is a recipe for mediocrity in a keeper league. You only win with underpriced players, not players priced at fair value.

Exactly right once again.

By comparison, Melky is a stud keeper at $2. .270 / 13 / 65 / 10 for two bucks? Fanstastic.

A stud keeper? I wouldn't go that far. At $2 he's a nice keep, assuming he's more than a 50% center fielder.

I agree 100%. I just finished my 10th season in al AL only keeper auction league and under no circumstances would I make that trade.

Exactly. Last season someone in my league bought A-Rod for $30, knowing he'd miss the first month of the season. That owner came in 5th (out of 10), but now he has A-Rod for $30 as a keeper. THAT's a great value keep.

Exactly right once again.

A stud keeper? I wouldn't go that far. At $2 he's a nice keep, assuming he's more than a 50% center fielder.

I love the feedback and also appreciate it very much, Well trade talks involving AROD are off now. The current offers I have are:

1.)

BJ UPTON(31.00)

HOWIE KENDRICK(20.00)

for

1ST PICK OVERALL

2ND ROUND PICK(2011)

JESUS MONTERO

MELKY CABRERA(2.00)

2.)

VICTOR MARTINEZ(22.00)

for

1ST OVERALL PICK

JESUS MONTERO

JOSH HAMILTON(27.00)

3.)

MIGUEL CABRERA(41.00)

JAMES SHIELDS(9.00)

3RD ROUND PICK(2011)

for

1ST OVERALL PICK

JESUS MONTERO

MELKY CABRERA(2.00)

JP HOWELL(4.00)

So out of these 3 offers which would be best suited for my team? I am leaning towards the Victor Martinez trade because being a RED SOX fan it doesn't hurt having VMART on my team. Plus I don't know how Josh Hamilton will do this year(it will be hard trading Hamilton because he is my favorite ball player).

Like most of the posters before have said, none of these deals are really worth while. It just seems a lot of teams are trying to trade their "stars" who they paid a good deal for last year and probably don't want to keep at that price for your underpriced guys and top minor leaguers and picks. I'll re-interate that the point of a auction keeper league is to keep guys that are bargains at their relative prices.....that's how you build a strong team. I don't see you being able to make a run at the championship next year with that team so it wouldn't be in your best interest to mortgage your future. In two or three years through good drafting and if your stud minor leaguers pan out you could have a very competitive team.

If I were you, I'd throw Chone, Hamilton, and without a doubt Gardner back into the pool and build your team through the draft. If you want those three, I'm sure you can get them at that current price atleast and probably cheaper. Those teams with A-Rod and Miggy and Upton are either going to keep them at that price and handicap themselves in the draft or throw them back in where you'll have a chance to get them anyway at close to that price without having to give up anything.

Like most of the posters before have said, none of these deals are really worth while. It just seems a lot of teams are trying to trade their "stars" who they paid a good deal for last year and probably don't want to keep at that price for your underpriced guys and top minor leaguers and picks. I'll re-interate that the point of a auction keeper league is to keep guys that are bargains at their relative prices.....that's how you build a strong team. I don't see you being able to make a run at the championship next year with that team so it wouldn't be in your best interest to mortgage your future. In two or three years through good drafting and if your stud minor leaguers pan out you could have a very competitive team.

If I were you, I'd throw Chone, Hamilton, and without a doubt Gardner back into the pool and build your team through the draft. If you want those three, I'm sure you can get them at that current price atleast and probably cheaper. Those teams with A-Rod and Miggy and Upton are either going to keep them at that price and handicap themselves in the draft or throw them back in where you'll have a chance to get them anyway at close to that price without having to give up anything.

I have recieved another offer from the same team, here it is:

i get:

DEREK JETER(26.00)

JAMES SHIELDS(9.00)

i give up:

1ST OVERALL PICK

JESUS MONTERO

MELKY CABRERA

2ND ROUND PICK(2011)

Is this any better?

I mean it's ok. Jeter at that price isn't a bargain. Shields is a pretty good bargain at that price, but you are giving up Melky at $2. But then again you are already keeping 3 SP's at a relatively cheap cost so I'd go with no. It'd help if we knew what minor leaguers were available though. And it should kind of be a red flag that everyone is trying to trade for Montero, he's the 2nd prospect in all of baseball and pretty much a can't miss prospect. He'll put up big numbers in a Yankees line-up in 3 years. I would assume since it's AL only that the only real minor leaguers available are those that were just drafted.....in which case you'd probably be looking at Dustin Ackley.

I mean it's ok. Jeter at that price isn't a bargain. Shields is a pretty good bargain at that price, but you are giving up Melky at $2. But then again you are already keeping 3 SP's at a relatively cheap cost so I'd go with no. It'd help if we knew what minor leaguers were available though. And it should kind of be a red flag that everyone is trying to trade for Montero, he's the 2nd prospect in all of baseball and pretty much a can't miss prospect. He'll put up big numbers in a Yankees line-up in 3 years. I would assume since it's AL only that the only real minor leaguers available are those that were just drafted.....in which case you'd probably be looking at Dustin Ackley.

That is correct, Dustin Ackley will go 1st overall followed by Brett Wallace probably. I don't want or need the draft pick this year, I really want to attempt to make it to the top and if I can get power hitters or good pitching, or stolen bases that will be the route I go on. I am torn between 2 offers and don't know which one to do. The 2 that I am torn between are:

I get VMART

i give 1ST OVERALL PICK, JESUS MONTERO, JOSH HAMILTON(27.00)

I get BJ UPTON(31.00), HOWIE KENDRICK(20.00)

I give 1ST OVERALL PICK, 2ND ROUND PICK(2011), JESUS MONTERO, MELKY CABRERA(2.00)

If you HAD to make a deal between these 2 offers which one would you make and why?

Neither. Victor Martinez is a good player, but he's not worth $22, especially at catcher. Upton and Kendrick are right at, or a little over, value at those prices. I would deal $27 Josh Hamilton as he should go for around that next year. If you can get someone to give you a great return feturn for $2 Melky, I'd do it. Otherwise, wait 4 months and see where he projects in the Yankee plans for 2010.

None of the deals you've presented in this thread will out you anywhere closer to a dominant keeper class. For now, you need to worry less about these deals and concentrate on preparing for next year's draft.

I have recieved another offer from the same team, here it is:

i get:

DEREK JETER(26.00)

JAMES SHIELDS(9.00)

i give up:

1ST OVERALL PICK

JESUS MONTERO

MELKY CABRERA

2ND ROUND PICK(2011)

Is this any better?

It's a ok deal. You are getting a top SS in Jeter. Plus a good upside SP in Shields. But it kinda seems like you are giving up too much there. But sometimes you have to pay to get.

It's a ok deal. You are getting a top SS in Jeter. Plus a good upside SP in Shields. But it kinda seems like you are giving up too much there. But sometimes you have to pay to get.

Is Jeter going to decline now after a career year? To me im not going to be giving up a lot for these players in the trades mentioned, I am playing for next year not 3 years down the road. I have been able to relinquish draft picks over the years, so getting draft picks isn't that hard for me. I just wanna know if I go with the big guns in the trade or settle for a older shortstop.

Is Jeter going to decline now after a career year? To me im not going to be giving up a lot for these players in the trades mentioned, I am playing for next year not 3 years down the road. I have been able to relinquish draft picks over the years, so getting draft picks isn't that hard for me. I just wanna know if I go with the big guns in the trade or settle for a older shortstop.

Who knows how he'll do next season since he's not even done playing this season! B)

What you need to think about is what you think he'd go for at your draft next year. You're the only one in this discussion who knows your league, so you have to use that info accordingly. In my 10 team AL only auction league, Jeter went for $25. Knowing the owner who has him, I'm thinking he'll likely be kept at $25, even though I think that's a little too much since we're a NY based league and Yankee players tend to go for higher than they should.

If you want to build a winner, get the best talent you can for as little money as possible so you can enter the auction with a lot of talent and a lot of money to spend. Not to pat myself on the back, but check out this thread for my tale of trading for low dollar value talent:

http://forums.rotoworld.com/index.php?showtopic=11508

We're allowed to keep up to 7 players and after all that was said and done, I went in to the 2008 draft with a keeper class of:

OF Alex Rios - $13

1B Ryan Garko - $1

2B Mark Ellis - $1

CO Kevin Youkilis - $4

SS Yuniesky Betancourt - $1

SP Jon Lester - $1

SP Zack Greinke - $3

Granted not all of those guys were studs, but with 7 players at $24 kept, I had so much more money to spend than everyone else that I could buy all the studs I wanted without thinking twice. I rolled to a league title.

As mentioned in previous posts, auction keeper leagues are all about value. Draft, trade and keep accordingly.

Just my opinion, trade JP Howell, I never like to hang onto closers unless they are sure fire studs, and in a money based keeper league, even that might not be worth it. If you are serious about contending, you should be able to find a closer on the WW somewhere next season, as I doubt many people are holding onto top set up men in a 4 X 4. So if an injury or ineffectiveness arises, you should be able to pick up a decent set up who has to fill in at closer anyway, even in an AL only league.

A lot of these trades are what doom leagues like this. On just name value alone, a lot of these trades look pretty decent, but the trick is determining if its worth it. If you are trading for someone like A-Rod (at say $40) for some player X worth say ($15), you have to factor in what you could get for $25 in the draft, and almost pretend like you are throwing that into a deal as well. Once you do that, a lot of these deals aren't as good as they seem before. If I were you, I'd go for sleepers.

If the guy wants Howell, trade it to him, but ask for his sleepers, rather than his best players at high values. Someone like a Matsuz from the O's, Delmon Young from the Twins, etc. Whoever wants Howell, can you post his roster?