Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

yort1919

MAKE THIS BLOCKBUSTER DEAL???

Just my opinion, trade JP Howell, I never like to hang onto closers unless they are sure fire studs, and in a money based keeper league, even that might not be worth it. If you are serious about contending, you should be able to find a closer on the WW somewhere next season, as I doubt many people are holding onto top set up men in a 4 X 4. So if an injury or ineffectiveness arises, you should be able to pick up a decent set up who has to fill in at closer anyway, even in an AL only league.

A lot of these trades are what doom leagues like this. On just name value alone, a lot of these trades look pretty decent, but the trick is determining if its worth it. If you are trading for someone like A-Rod (at say $40) for some player X worth say ($15), you have to factor in what you could get for $25 in the draft, and almost pretend like you are throwing that into a deal as well. Once you do that, a lot of these deals aren't as good as they seem before. If I were you, I'd go for sleepers.

If the guy wants Howell, trade it to him, but ask for his sleepers, rather than his best players at high values. Someone like a Matsuz from the O's, Delmon Young from the Twins, etc. Whoever wants Howell, can you post his roster?

Thats alot of good advice....thanks!!! The only problem is I have 4 teams wanting the number one draft pick, for me to post all the rosters would take forever.

Thats alot of good advice....thanks!!! The only problem is I have 4 teams wanting the number one draft pick, for me to post all the rosters would take forever.

So what you do is look over the rosters of those four teams, pick the best VALUE players, and post those here.

Is Jeter going to decline now after a career year? To me im not going to be giving up a lot for these players in the trades mentioned, I am playing for next year not 3 years down the road. I have been able to relinquish draft picks over the years, so getting draft picks isn't that hard for me. I just wanna know if I go with the big guns in the trade or settle for a older shortstop.

There is no way that Jeter declines after this year. Also his "Career" year was like a few years ago. He still gets the big hits etc. and plus playing in a lineup with alot of firepower helps him out.

There is no way that Jeter declines after this year. Also his "Career" year was like a few years ago. He still gets the big hits etc. and plus playing in a lineup with alot of firepower helps him out.

Well of the 3 teams and there valued players:

team #1

The BJ UPTON/HOWIE KENDRICK deal----He has no real valued keepers

team #2

The VMART deal---his valued keepers are: matt wieters(5.00), alexi ramirez(14.00), ryan raburn(7.00), ben zobrist(2.00) jeff niemann(5.00), david price(5.00), ryan perry(5.00)

team #3

The MIGUEL CABRERA/JAMES SHIELDS deal---his valued keepers are: chris getz(5.00), willie bloomquist(5.00), billy butler(10.00), scott baker(7.00), clay buccholz(5.00), kevin millwood(1.00)

What you need to think about is what you think he'd go for at your draft next year. You're the only one in this discussion who knows your league, so you have to use that info accordingly. In my 10 team AL only auction league, Jeter went for $25. Knowing the owner who has him, I'm thinking he'll likely be kept at $25, even though I think that's a little too much since we're a NY based league and Yankee players tend to go for higher than they should.

<IGNORE BELOW -- MY BAD. It's a $260 league. Although deep Dynasty might have higher inflation.>

Don't forget that this guy's league has a $300 cap, not $260. That turns a $25 Jeter into a $29 Jeter, FWIW.

I have recieved another offer from the same team, here it is:

i get:

DEREK JETER(26.00)

JAMES SHIELDS(9.00)

i give up:

1ST OVERALL PICK

JESUS MONTERO

MELKY CABRERA

2ND ROUND PICK(2011)

Is this any better?

This isn't a bad offer, but not great. Try a counter-offer removing Montero (i.e. you give up Melky, 1st, 2nd only).

Since Montero is in so much demand, he might be a great trade chip to hold on to. Some poor schmuck in last place will trade you Ichiro Suzuki for him in June. Save Montero for a really big pennant-drive deal if you can.

This isn't a bad offer, but not great. Try a counter-offer removing Montero (i.e. you give up Melky, 1st, 2nd only).

Since Montero is in so much demand, he might be a great trade chip to hold on to. Some poor schmuck in last place will trade you Ichiro Suzuki for him in June. Save Montero for a really big pennant-drive deal if you can.

Well out of the blue another owner offered me a deal and I accepted. Then I made a 2nd deal today with another team. here they are.

Deal #1 I made:

I gave: 1ST OVERALL MINOR PICK, BRANDON WOOD(15.00)

I got" MARIANO RIVERA(35.00), SCOTT KAZMIR(14.00), AJ PIERZNYSKI(6.00), 10TH OVERALL MINOR PICK

Deal #2 I made:

I gave: 10TH OVERALL MINOR PICK, JESUS MONTERO, JOSH HAMILTON(27.00)

I got: 16TH OVERALL MINOR PICK, DENARD SPAN(10.00)

What you think?

I'm not too sure about the first deal, it looks somewhat decent especially since I think Kazmir can come back strong next year, but man I think you got robbed in that second deal.

I'm not too sure about the first deal, it looks somewhat decent especially since I think Kazmir can come back strong next year, but man I think you got robbed in that second deal.

I traded "POTENTIAL" power for "GUARANTEED" speed!!!! I thought I got a Hell of a deal.

I traded "POTENTIAL" power for "GUARANTEED" speed!!!! I thought I got a Hell of a deal.

Well, in an AL only league, I thought the value of Hamilton was fine, as I don't think he was overrated at 27.00 to begin with. But you really didn't trade for anything guaranteed actually. Span was 18th in the AL in stolen bases, and this is with 578 ABs. He had 23 SBs, while also being caught 10 times. But if you look at his splits, you'll see that 19 of those 23 stolen bases came at home, where he had the advantage of indoor stadium with turf. Next year, he moves to an outside stadium, and if you look at his road splits, he had 4 stolen bases and 5 caught stealing on the road, which is terrible for a base stealer. Span will give you BA, and runs, but he's not a prolific base stealer, or even as good as his numbers would indicate.

You gave up a real good player in Hamilton (albeit at basically even value price for him) plus potential great prospect in Montero, and went back 9 spots in the draft. If this was Hamilton for Span at the given prices, I could see it, even though I'd still like Hamilton's potential better. But I think you threw in Montero and the first pick without any gain at all. My personal feeling is that don't trade for speed. You could always get someone on the cheap like a Gardner- who is much more valuable to the Yankees on an everyday basis than Melky Cabrera anyway- or a Rajai Davis. Speed is usually easier to find in deep leagues than power as every team has some prospect that can run like the wind, but hasn't figured out how to hit enough yet, but has tools. I'd trade speed for power almost always in terms of value.

Span + whoever you can get for $17 (which based on some values presented seems like a pitcher like Kazmir) for Hamilton is decent. But the other parts of the deal was brutal, IMO. But again, this is just my opinion, and I've sure been wrong before.

Deal #1 I made:

I got" MARIANO RIVERA(35.00), SCOTT KAZMIR(14.00), AJ PIERZNYSKI(6.00), 10TH OVERALL MINOR PICK

The only good part of this deal IMO is that you pretty much gave up nothing. Rivera at $35 is not a good keeper since he's right at or slightly above value. Kazmir could be a good keep at $14, but time will tell there (I'm pretty low on him these days). AJ and the pick you got are pretty worthless.

Deal #2 I made:

You dealt a worthless pick, a prospect who won't play for a few years and an overpriced player coming off injury. This is good. You got a worse pick and Denard Span. This is marginally good. I like Span, but again, I think he's right at value.

Overall, I don't see why you made these trades.

I got: MARIANO RIVERA(35.00), SCOTT KAZMIR(14.00), AJ PIERZNYSKI(6.00), 10TH OVERALL MINOR PICK

What you think?

I think you are trading just for the sake of trading, not for the sake of improving your team.

You just gave up Dustin Ackley and Jesus Montero (and nothing else of value)

for

Scott Kazmir $14 and Denard Span $10 (and nothing else of value)

You had better hope that Kazmir rebounds in a big way. If not, you just gave up the future(s) of your franchise in Ackley and Montero, for basically a good 4th OF / mediocre 3rd OF.

Deal one was good. you got Mo rivera the top & Best closer of all time, Kazmir who is still young @ 25 yrs old and has alot of baseball still left in him. AJ who is an underated catcher imo. plus a high draft pick.

Deal two i dont like. it seems like you gave up too much with Hamilton etc. and got little in return.

I think you are trading just for the sake of trading, not for the sake of improving your team.

You just gave up Dustin Ackley and Jesus Montero (and nothing else of value)

for

Scott Kazmir $14 and Denard Span $10 (and nothing else of value)

You had better hope that Kazmir rebounds in a big way. If not, you just gave up the future(s) of your franchise in Ackley and Montero, for basically a good 4th OF / mediocre 3rd OF.

Couldn't agree more......kind of seems like the classic example of the best deals are sometimes the deals you don't make at all.

Hopefully it all works out for you, but I have a feeling it may be a tough lesson learned. Good Luck though all the same.

Did you accept it yet?

Yes i did accept it. Can't you tell by all the posts by people calling me an idiot?

Yes i did accept it. Can't you tell by all the posts by people calling me an idiot?

Good move doing the deal. That is a nice offer right there.

Good move doing the deal. That is a nice offer right there.

Which part of the deal do you like the most? I like the fact that I have 2 of the best closers in the american league now, and by my math there will only be 2 maybe 3 available for draft this year in our league.

Two questions:

1. How many players can you keep?

2. Of the players in your sig, which ones would you keep if you had to submit lists today?

Two questions:

1. How many players can you keep?

2. Of the players in your sig, which ones would you keep if you had to submit lists today?

We are allowed to keep upto 15 players, and of my signature probably everyone minus gardner if hes not starting, figgins if he signs in the AL. Other than that I would keep all of them.

We are allowed to keep upto 15 players, and of my signature probably everyone minus gardner if hes not starting, figgins if he signs in the AL. Other than that I would keep all of them.

Your team looks like a top 12 team in any A.L only league.

My team looks at least a top 5 team!!!!!!

In a 12 team league with 15 keepers allowed (which is insane if you ask me...why not just make it dynasty?), you're going to need every spare auction dollar to buy the decent free agents which are out there. With that in mind, here are my thoughts.

1. You badly need an A tier SP. Garza, Slowey and Pettite are decent, but they don't anchor a roto rotation.

2. Kazmir is finished as a top flight fantasy pitcher, as illustrated by his outing in ALCS game 4. $14 is too much.

3. You have below average power in those hitters.

4. Gardner is a one category player, who's a part timer. Under no circumstances should you keep him for $20.

5. Figgins is a good player, but $29 is too much for a speed guy.

6. Nathan and Mo are A tier closers, but tying up 27% of your payroll on two players who play the same position isn't a wise move, especially when saves can always be found on the wire during the season.

7. Only keep Howell if he's the closer.

I don't see you as a contender right now. If you keep everyone except Gardner, you're at $177, leaving $83 for the auctoin where you'll need to buy 11 players. That's roughly $7.50 per player, which would be tough to fill in the power you'll need.

In a 12 team league with 15 keepers allowed (which is insane if you ask me...why not just make it dynasty?), you're going to need every spare auction dollar to buy the decent free agents which are out there. With that in mind, here are my thoughts.

1. You badly need an A tier SP. Garza, Slowey and Pettite are decent, but they don't anchor a roto rotation.

2. Kazmir is finished as a top flight fantasy pitcher, as illustrated by his outing in ALCS game 4. $14 is too much.

3. You have below average power in those hitters.

4. Gardner is a one category player, who's a part timer. Under no circumstances should you keep him for $20.

5. Figgins is a good player, but $29 is too much for a speed guy.

6. Nathan and Mo are A tier closers, but tying up 27% of your payroll on two players who play the same position isn't a wise move, especially when saves can always be found on the wire during the season.

7. Only keep Howell if he's the closer.

I don't see you as a contender right now. If you keep everyone except Gardner, you're at $177, leaving $83 for the auctoin where you'll need to buy 11 players. That's roughly $7.50 per player, which would be tough to fill in the power you'll need.

Hey SSmash what do you think of my team. I am in the same league as yort1919.

Hey SSmash what do you think of my team. I am in the same league as yort1919.

The few hitters you have are solid, except for Hamilton. I think $27 is too much after the injury plagued season he had. He could easily earn that much next season, but his draft day value should be a little lower than it was last year. I don't like to spend a lot on catchers, but Mauer is in a class of his own.

I feel the same about Peavy that I do for Hamilton. He's a good player, but $32 is too much after the season he had in 2009. Blackburn is a decent mid level SP and $2 is a good price. Rodney put up good save numbers last year, but his other numbers were weak for a closer. I have him for $16 in my league and I'm looking to trade him this off-season. Mazzaro doesn't do much for me, but $5 isn't a terrible price. Garcia may not even be in the rotation in 2010, so I wouldn't plan on much from him.

Right now I think your team is looking pretty weak going in to 2010. I would try and deal Hamilton and Peavy for as many low dollar potential keepers you can.