Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Code of Hammurabi

"Brooks Was Here"

Whats the sentiment on his stock for the season? Can he throw up 15ppg-4rpg-5apg?

His stats will only increase as the starting PG especially without Ron Artest. In the playoffs he averaged very decent numbers for a pg. I'm looking at 15 pts, 6 asts, 2 rbs and 1 steal. He's definitely a steal in the draft where he's ranked.

I'd put him at 16 pts, 5 ast, 2 reb, 1.5 3pm, 1 stl. His FT% should be nice too, though on low volume.

I think his TO take a hit as defenses will key on him - he's easily HOU's most dangerous perimeter player with Tmac out. I can see FG% getting ugly too, possibly even dipping into the 30s.

I'd put his value around the same as Ray Felton.

This guy has a real ability to score some points.Even tho he is about 5'4,he can shoot a nice 3 point shot and on the fast break he can go coast to coast faster than most anyboby in the NBA. I think that without such ball stallers as TMAC and Ron-Ron, he could see his assists go up this year. Nice value guy

You guys do realize he is basically splitting time with Lowry, who is probably worse for his fantasy value than Artest would have been.

I don't expect him to do more than 14 and 4, with a very low FG% and low steals.

You guys do realize he is basically splitting time with Lowry, who is probably worse for his fantasy value than Artest would have been.

I don't expect him to do more than 14 and 4, with a very low FG% and low steals.

wasn't he supposed to share mins with Lowry in the 2nd half last year too? didn't happen.

He came over in a mid-season trade and didn't know the offense. That won't be the case this year. He also recently started a pre-season game over Brooks, which wouldn't happen if Brooks was the unquestioned starter.

If I were you, I would be rooting for Lowry to take over: he's been the better per-minute player in his career (and especially has shown the capability to put up absurd steal numbers), and would be available off waivers rather than wasting a pick on him like you have to do for Brooks.

I wouldnt read too much into 1 spot start here or there during the preseason. I believe Brooks is the starter for sure, and will get the majority of the minutes.

Brooks is a FAR superior offensive player. The only thing Lowry brings to the table fantasy wise, better than Brooks, is an extra steal a game.

Brooks is around the same in assists and rebounds. But Brooks dominates Lowry in FT%, 3 pts, scoring... Just a much better fantasy player than Lowry and he should get the majority of the minutes.

Lowry is the defensive stopper when Adelman wants to put some defense in there, but it wont be much different than last year after Alston got traded

My goodnes, I do not understand the love for this guy.

At best he will average 12 and 4, and thats only if he gets 30 mpg.

Very average player.

He came over in a mid-season trade and didn't know the offense. That won't be the case this year. He also recently started a pre-season game over Brooks, which wouldn't happen if Brooks was the unquestioned starter.

If I were you, I would be rooting for Lowry to take over: he's been the better per-minute player in his career (and especially has shown the capability to put up absurd steal numbers), and would be available off waivers rather than wasting a pick on him like you have to do for Brooks.

Is that why Brooks took over as the starting point guard in the playoffs..? And he had to burden about 35-40 minutes. I think he will get the same minutes in the regular season and will be a top 5 pg in the west.

Very average player.

"Very average player"? A starting PG going at around round 9 and later in most drafts where the only remaining PGs are guys like Hinrich, Curry, Jennings Sessions, and Flynn. Sorry, I'd rather take my chances on him because you won't have to stress about him come the regular season. Unlike with those other guys who are either backups or stuck in a timeshare. Steady reliable PGs are at a premium this year.

Average he may be to you, but in round 9 and onwards he is extremely valuable. Nobody's saying he should be taken as a 1st or 2nd choice fantasy PG. People like myself like him because of his value in the late rounds and the fact that he's playing for an injury-depleted team where he used to be non-existent, and is now a key player. You can't say the same thing about the PGs I mentioned above.

If you can't see value in a late round PG like that...fair enough B)

A very average player doesnt drop 34 points on the lakers in the playoffs.

Very average player.

wow you guys are so defensive about brooks B) I think he'll do fine as a starting PG for the Rockets. Def will out perform his ADP. But I dont see him being an absolute steal in the lower rounds.

wow you guys are so defensive about brooks B) I think he'll do fine as a starting PG for the Rockets. Def will out perform his ADP. But I dont see him being an absolute steal in the lower rounds.

Okay - so which PG in your opinion is more valuable than Brooks going into the regular season in rounds 9 and beyond then?

Seriously it is crazy how defensive people are over Brooks. We're not trying to rain on the parade for no reason. There a lot of reasons to be concerned. In the playoffs, with 35 mins a game, he averaged 16.8 points, 3.4 assists, and 0.4 steals. That is pretty bad, and you cant expect him to play more than 35 mins a game this year. Yes, he'll get you 3's, but thats about it, 3s and decent points, and he will be BELOW average everywhere else. Not a good fantasy player. Lowry would be much more fantasy friendly as he consistently has high rebound and assist numbers and is a ballhawk on defense. If Brooks gets hurt, you could expect something like 16/5/6 from Lowry with high steals and half a block, which would be golden.

Guys I would rather have than Brooks:

TJ Ford

Lou Williams (exactly like Brooks, only he will steal the ball and comes at a lower price)

Mike Conley

DJ Augustin

Tyreke Evans

Borderline - Flynn and Jennings

Ford and Conley are in a different, better tier of pgs. They should not be available in round 10 in solid leagues.

Williams-fg% could be sub 40% with massive tos

Augustin- May have more value due to injury to bell

Evans- May have more value, but is unproven. fg% and tos and lack of threes could be a concern

Seriously it is crazy how defensive people are over Brooks. We're not trying to rain on the parade for no reason. There a lot of reasons to be concerned. In the playoffs, with 35 mins a game, he averaged 16.8 points, 3.4 assists, and 0.4 steals. That is pretty bad, and you cant expect him to play more than 35 mins a game this year. Yes, he'll get you 3's, but thats about it, 3s and decent points, and he will be BELOW average everywhere else. Not a good fantasy player. Lowry would be much more fantasy friendly as he consistently has high rebound and assist numbers and is a ballhawk on defense. If Brooks gets hurt, you could expect something like 16/5/6 from Lowry with high steals and half a block, which would be golden.

TJ Ford

Lou Williams (exactly like Brooks, only he will steal the ball and comes at a lower price)

Mike Conley

DJ Augustin

Tyreke Evans

Fair enough on Ford and Conley. You can add Stuckey to the list as well.

As for your arguments on Lou and Evans: Brooks will also have poor FG%, and T.O.s may well become a problem as well (although he seems to keep them low because he despises actually passing the ball).

You guys act like he's totally new to the starting PG role and so there should be all kinds of optimism and upside, but he started 30 games last year! And really, he wasn't very good at all. Some more stats (although apparently I'm the only person who cares about backing an argument with statistics):

As starting guard: 30 mins a game, 40% shooting, 1.7 3's, 13 points, 3.7 assists, 0.7 steals... enjoy!

TJ Ford

Mike Conley

DJ Augustin

Tyreke Evans

I agree with you there about Lowry. I've been waiting for him to be a starter since he was in Memphis. But he's not going to get the majority of mins in Houston. That's the reality.

I'll be surprised if Conley and Ford are still around at round 9. If they are, then yes I'd take them over Brooks too. That wasn't the case in my drafts though.

Lou Williams - I'll tell you why I wont take him - TOs and FG%. Also remains to be seen how many assists he'll average as a starter.

If I was to draft now, I'd take Augustin over Brooks. But when I drafted Bell was still healthy. Augustin got picked up at round 13.

Evans - unproven and a rookie - possible timeshare. Same goes for Flynn and Jennings.

All I'm saying is - out of those PGs, Brooks is the one with the least question marks about his playing situation i.e. less headaches for owners. That's what I mean by "late round value".

The problem with Brooks isn't his situation, it's his lack of skill as a basketball player. He's just not a good player, and to wishcast him into a 17 and 7 player is insanity. Like you pointed out about the guys listed above, Brooks also can't shoot the basketball, although you like to ignore that. He shot 42% over his career at Oregon and 40.6% in his NBA career.

Playing time is one thing, but Brooks does not have close to the upside as you think he does and isn't a good basketball player. He's short, he's small, he can't shoot, he can't pass, and he doesn't get steals. Tell me why that should lead to NBA success?

There are better ways to use your 10th round pick, honestly. You might say that no one can be a bust that late in the draft, which is semi-true, but there are guys out there with so much more upside. All the guys I listed, plus Anthony Morrow, plus non-guards like Hibbert, Bogut, Beasley, Thompson, CLee, Rush, etc. These player all have much higher upside, in my opinion. And I would much rather use a 12th round pick on Evans/Flynn/Jennings than a 10th round pick on Brooks.

Wait you got me all wrong. I'm not one of the guys who are predicting 17-7 from him. No way! Im just speaking from personal experience in my recent draft. 14 team H2H and my PGs are Paul and Ford. Round 10 and I still only had 2 PGs. I can copy and paste the draft results here, but that's too long, so just trust me when I say the PGs left were Hinrich, Jennings, Curry, Flynn and Brooks. I needed a 3rd PG who was proven, steady, not injury-prone and has guaranteed starters minutes night in and night out. That's Brooks. I know he might not give me a ton of assists and this and that all the time, but I'll tell you other things he's also not going to give me that those other PGs will - questions, headaches and problems.

Upside is one thing, but reliability and peace of mind are valuable commodities too - often times overlooked if you ask me.