Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Code of Hammurabi

"Brooks Was Here"

The problem with Brooks isn't his situation, it's his lack of skill as a basketball player. He's just not a good player, and to wishcast him into a 17 and 7 player is insanity. Like you pointed out about the guys listed above, Brooks also can't shoot the basketball, although you like to ignore that. He shot 42% over his career at Oregon and 40.6% in his NBA career.

Playing time is one thing, but Brooks does not have close to the upside as you think he does and isn't a good basketball player. He's short, he's small, he can't shoot, he can't pass, and he doesn't get steals. Tell me why that should lead to NBA success?

There are better ways to use your 10th round pick, honestly. You might say that no one can be a bust that late in the draft, which is semi-true, but there are guys out there with so much more upside. All the guys I listed, plus Anthony Morrow, plus non-guards like Hibbert, Bogut, Beasley, Thompson, CLee, Rush, etc. These player all have much higher upside, in my opinion. And I would much rather use a 12th round pick on Evans/Flynn/Jennings than a 10th round pick on Brooks.

Wait, your first post was down on him cause you said he was in a full time share and that he wasnt even going to get the minutes. Now he is a bad player?

He is actually a very good player.He carried his team in college and I remember he nearly led them to an upset of a #1 or @ seed his last year at Oregon. He spent his first year getting spot playing time behind reefer alston. Then his 2nd yaer,when he got his shot, he performed very well for a guy that young.Without the 2 stars on the time,he started at PG for a time that took the champs to game 7.And he had a huge part in that.

He is going to nail you alot of 3 pointers. Drives to the hoop and goes to the line plenty. And shoots very well from the line(86-87%).. And he is a starting PG, so he will contribute assists also. He is very good value for where he is being drafted.

I like Brooks this year as a punt-AST PG option late in the draft. If you can't snag guys like Jason Terry, Leandro Barbosa, and Nate Robinson I think Brooks is the next logical choice.

He should be good for 12+ points, 1.5+ 3ptm, and 1+ spg.

I like Brooks this year as a punt-AST PG option late in the draft. If you can't snag guys like Jason Terry, Leandro Barbosa, and Nate Robinson I think Brooks is the next logical choice.

He should be good for 12+ points, 1.5+ 3ptm, and 1+ spg.

Brooks will probably hurt your FG% a lot more than those guys, though. I seem him hoisting a bunch of FGA.

Yesterday's pre-season game:

Brooks: 15 minutes, 2/1/1

Lowry: 34 minutes, 16/7/9 with 4 steals

Brooks DOES NOT have the starting job on lockdown, and Lowry is a MUCH better player.

This was Brooks first and only bad game this pre-season. Stop hating. You've got 2nd round rookies putting up better stats than what Lowry did. It's pre-season!

It's not hating, it's thinking clearly... Denying all of the warning signs around Brooks is delusional!

Have you even looked at Brook's pre-season stats? That was certainly not his first and only bad game. It's crazy how blindly in love with Brooks some people are!

In case you actually care about facts, here are his pre-season game logs: http://www.nba.com/playerfile/aaron_brooks...game_stats.html

I count one good game out of eight, and even that game wasn't all that good.

In case you actually care about facts, here are his pre-season game logs: http://www.nba.com/playerfile/aaron_brooks...game_stats.html

His stats look fine to me in limited 20 minutes. Of course, he will be playing way more then that as a starting pg..

Nobody is saying Aaron Brooks will put up Chris Paul like numbers..all we are saying is he is a steal where he is ranked in the draft. And perhaps someone drafted Brooks before you could, so that's why you have to waste your time warning us of "Brook's failures." B) He's a 14 pt, 4 ast guy.. no more or no less.

No one drafted him above me. I did own him last year when he became the starting PG, and I was quite disappointed, but I can separate my feelings from my analysis.

All I'm saying is there are much better ways to use your 10th or 11th pick than on Aaron Brooks, but most people don't want to hear this. You make light of my comments as being "scorned" or what not, but then you say he's a 14/4 guy, no more, no less... well, guess what, I agree! Is that really what you want out of your 10th round pick? 14 and 4 with little upside and a better player backing him up?

My only intention is to try and help someone has learned something from what I've posted. If you're on the fence about Brooks or someone else, my argument is you should almost certainly go with the "someone else".

I honestly don't think Brooks passes well enough to hold down the starting PG gig. He is probably better suited to be a 3-pt shooting scoring guard off the bench, but I guess we'll see during the season.

I was actually high on Brooks last season as a sleeper. While he was a decent scorer once he finally took over PG duties later in the year, I was disappointed by his assists and FG%. I think he will probably be drafted at value in the 11th round, but I have a hard time seeing him substantially surpassing his ADP in terms of value. As over have mentioned, there are several other guys who are better bets to outproduce ADP who can be taken in the 10th and 11th.

Time will tell.

..imagine this guy's stat line if he found his rhythm from 3. Near 50% FG while dropping an 0-6 from 3 is ridiculous

19 pt -5 ast -3 reb -2 st - 1 blk and only 2 TO. 41 minutes played...Sweet opening night. I hope those haters were paying attention. For a 9th round pick that is great production

Enjoy it haters. Everyone was so down on this guy, but did anyone consider the possibility that maybe he learned a great deal and earned a lot of confidence from last seasons playoff run? And maybe, just maybe, he put in extra effort knowing hes going to be an even greater focus of the offense?

Come on they played portland who is no joke, and imagine if battier was actually knocking down the treys? He would of had 2 more dimes. Brooks is going to be a 16-2-5.5/6 guy with a three and steal a game. Is that what I want with a 10th round pick? of course I do. How many guys in the league give you over 5 dimes, 1 steal, and 1 three a game? Very few and they are very valuable.

This was the only person I grabbed on all 3 of my teams this year as I felt he was in for a BIG year. I got mocked for it, but considering I picked him off at the end of every draft, I'm the one laughing now. hahah!

first off, howard stern is awesome and sal is the definition of nuts.

Secondly I have him on both teams and I expect him to be a huge part of the offense and as long as guys are hitting shots, his assists will be above 5 a game. Even if lowry plays with him all it means is that when theyre on the court together it will serve for easier buckets for brooks so his fg percentage will be better.

19 pt -5 ast -3 reb -2 st - 1 blk and only 2 TO. 41 minutes played...Sweet opening night. I hope those haters were paying attention. For a 9th round pick that is great production

Damn right B)

Eh, it's one game. Check out his game logs from last year and see how nice his 1st game as a starter was, then see how it went from there. Also, Lowry was better in less minutes and will still eat away at his playing time.

Eh, it's one game. Check out his game logs from last year and see how nice his 1st game as a starter was, then see how it went from there. Also, Lowry was better in less minutes and will still eat away at his playing time.

LOOOOOL

Brooks played 41 minutes bro.. Lowry played a good 22 or 25 that's where it stands..

.... Thank you for stating the obvious. Yes, "thats where it stands". I think it will change in the future. Lowry had twice the assist in half the time, and Brooks sure as s--- isn't hitting 50% of his shots on most nights.

.... Thank you for stating the obvious. Yes, "thats where it stands". I think it will change in the future. Lowry had twice the assist in half the time, and Brooks sure as s--- isn't hitting 50% of his shots on most nights.

Brooks is in his 3rd year. He sat the majority of his rookie year. Didnt get serious playing time until Reefer was traded out of town halfway thru his second year. That means that he has been starting and playing significantly for 1/2 season. In that 1/2 season he had some clunkers. But he also had some truly great games. He also put up 27 pts and 23 pts to start the Port playoff series last year. Then he avged 18 ppg(including a fat 34 point game) against the world champ LAL...

Has it ever occurred to you that he may just actually GET BETTER. He's already done some pretty nice things in limited time.There are a whole lot of high draft picks that roll thru the league that dont come near what Brooks has done so far in his short amount of PT.

He is a very good offensive player and he may actually be stepping it up a notch with natural progression here.

Yes, it has occurred to me that he may get better. However, I don't think that assists or steals are categories that you see a lot of progression in. In any likelihood, his shot should improve and he may drive with more regularity, but he's not a passer and he's not a steals guy, and I don't see that changing. He's also not going to grow anymore, which is a problem given how incredibly scrawny he is.

You bring up a good point with his 18ppg average against the Lakers, including his 34 point outing - the guy is crazy inconsistent. What kind of games did he have to throw up in addition to the 34 point effort to bring his scoring average down to 18?

I don't hate the guy (although it seems like I do), I just think he's overrated as a sleeper, and I strongly believe Lowry is a better player, as of right now. I have to argue strongly against him on here because people only want to see roses and rainbows and don't want to hear anything negative. People act like they "discovered" Brooks and get so excited over him that they can't look at him objectively.

Anyway, let's give it a month and see where he's at before you guys start sucking each other's popsicles.

Yes, it has occurred to me that he may get better. However, I don't think that assists or steals are categories that you see a lot of progression in. In any likelihood, his shot should improve and he may drive with more regularity, but he's not a passer and he's not a steals guy, and I don't see that changing. He's also not going to grow anymore, which is a problem given how incredibly scrawny he is.

You bring up a good point with his 18ppg average against the Lakers, including his 34 point outing - the guy is crazy inconsistent. What kind of games did he have to throw up in addition to the 34 point effort to bring his scoring average down to 18?

I don't hate the guy (although it seems like I do), I just think he's overrated as a sleeper, and I strongly believe Lowry is a better player, as of right now. I have to argue strongly against him on here because people only want to see roses and rainbows and don't want to hear anything negative. People act like they "discovered" Brooks and get so excited over him that they can't look at him objectively.

Anyway, let's give it a month and see where he's at before you guys start sucking each other's popsicles.

First off - Brooks isn't a sleeper. Therefore he doesnt even qualify to be overrated as one. He's more an "underrated starter" B)

Secondly - i'm pretty sure, like myself, others in here can bear to hear negative opinions about the subject of a thread, unlike what you said. What I find funny though is how you're constantly trying to convince everyone in here that we're all deluded and "we can do better". I'm sure people appreciated your input the first time you stated your points. But you're just constantly repeating yourself - and it just makes it sound like you're very bitter about something. It's becoming a little tedious and it seriously sounds like you're getting stressed out about this.

So everytime Brooks has a bad game, you're gonna be back on this thread to tell everyone "I told you so", and for every good game you'll try to convince people that it wasn't so special? Seriously. That can get old real quick. From what I've read, it doesnt seem to me like you've made a dent on anyone anyway. So if people want to expect 17 and 7 from Brooks, don't worry about it. What, you got a problem with people getting excited about a player? Get used to it - happens all the time in sports! It's nothing personal LoL

Completely disagree that Kyle Lowry is a better player. I'm gonna wait more than one game to go apes%#t over Brooks, but he brings a lot more to the table as a point guard, particularly for this Rockets team. Brooks' dribble penetration is the only thing that was generating any offense last night. He had absolutely everyone on skates, and they had to honor Brooks because he can knock down an outside jumper. Lowry, on the other hand, is a quick guard but doesn't usually create much for his teammates because the defense doesn't honor his non-existent shooting ability. As far as finishing at the rim, neither guy does because they're both under six feet. Lowry brings more to the table defensively because he's bulkier and has very quick hands, but, like Brooks, is often exposed because of his lack of size. Brooks' dribble penetration and ability to space the floor is something that offensively-challenged Rockets team desperately needs. Both Lowry and Brooks will get solid minutes, but Brooks needs to get 30+ minutes every night for this team to have a chance.

First off - Brooks isn't a sleeper. Therefore he doesnt even qualify to be overrated as one. He's more an "underrated starter" B)

Secondly - i'm pretty sure, like myself, others in here can bear to hear negative opinions about the subject of a thread, unlike what you said. What I find funny though is how you're constantly trying to convince everyone in here that we're all deluded and "we can do better". I'm sure people appreciated your input the first time you stated your points. But you're just constantly repeating yourself - and it just makes it sound like you're very bitter about something. It's becoming a little tedious and it seriously sounds like you're getting stressed out about this.

So everytime Brooks has a bad game, you're gonna be back on this thread to tell everyone "I told you so", and for every good game you'll try to convince people that it wasn't so special? Seriously. That can get old real quick. From what I've read, it doesnt seem to me like you've made a dent on anyone anyway. So if people want to expect 17 and 7 from Brooks, don't worry about it. What, you got a problem with people getting excited about a player? Get used to it - happens all the time in sports! It's nothing personal LoL

When you're right, you're right. I'm done on this one, for real this time. I won't post again in this thread until December at the earliest.