Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JeterPimpedUrGF

My Dilemma

I have been offered Vincent Jackson for my Calvin Johnson

I have to beat a team of the following if I hope to win-

(hes undefeated so far)

QB-Schaub

WR(2)-Wayne,A.Johnson

RB(2)-S.Jax,K.Smith

TE-Witten

FLEX-Slaton/Moats

K-Rackers

DEF-Giants

Bench-Sims-Walker,Maclin,J.Charles

The team I hafta eventually go through is pretty darn good but so is mine. The only problem is....my 2 top receivers are both dealing with injuries of the season long variety....Calvin and Boldin. I dont know if I can count on either when playoff time rolls around. And while I do have adequate replacements in Braylon and H.Ward I still worry that someone like Braylon can be counted on when the games really start to matter for me.

My team is-

QB-Rivers

WR(2)-Calvin,Boldin

RB(2)-AP,MJD

TE-Clark

FLEX-Jacobs

K-Folk

DEF-Jets

Bench-H.Ward,Braylon,M.Floyd,Bennett,Keller,A.Green

Im positive that Calvin is better long term and my problem is that I always look at everything long term. In this case I feel that maybe I should be thinking short term. I dont think I beat this other team with a gimpy Calvin and Boldin but do think that I stand a much better chance with V.Jax.....the only problem is that I hate losing a guy like Calvin for short term success.

Would u make this deal if u were me? Ive tried offering other players/packages but he wont do anything beyond a 1-1. Idealy id like to have Calvin n V.Jax together long term. I even went as far as to offer any combination he wanted of Boldin,H.Ward and Braylon and probably woulda said yes had he saaid itd take all 3 but he cant stand Boldin he said and he feels H.Ward is too old. I also tried my Calvin n Boldin for his V.Jax and Roddy but he wont budge offa doing a 1-1.

So basically the question is should I sacrifice long term for short term and do the deal?

I have been offered Vincent Jackson for my Calvin Johnson

I have to beat a team of the following if I hope to win-

QB-Schaub

WR(2)-Wayne,A.Johnson

RB(2)-S.Jax,K.Smith

TE-Witten

FLEX-Slaton/Moats

K-Rackers

DEF-Giants

Bench-Sims-Walker,Maclin,J.Charles

The team I hafta eventually go through is pretty darn good but so is mine. The only problem is....my 2 top receivers are both dealing with injuries of the season long variety....Calvin and Boldin. I dont know if I can count on either when playoff time rolls around. And while I do have adequate replacements in Braylon and H.Ward I still worry that someone like Braylon can be counted on when the games really start to matter for me.

My team is-

QB-Rivers

WR(2)-Calvin,Boldin

RB(2)-AP,MJD

TE-Clark

FLEX-Jacobs

K-Folk

DEF-Jets

Bench-H.Ward,Braylon,M.Floyd,Bennett,Keller,A.Green

Im positive that Calvin is better long term and my problem is that I always look at everything long term. In this case I feel that maybe I should be thinking short term. I dont think I beat this other team with a gimpy Calvin and Boldin but do think that I stand a much better chance with V.Jax.....the only problem is that I hate losing a guy like Calvin for short term success.

Would u make this deal if u were me? Ive tried offering other players/packages but he wont do anything beyond a 1-1. Idealy id like to have Calvin n V.Jax together long term. I even went as far as to offer any combination he wanted of Boldin,H.Ward and Braylon and probably woulda said yes had he saaid itd take all 3 but he cant stand Boldin he said and he feels H.Ward is too old. I also tried my Calvin n Boldin for his V.Jax and Roddy but he wont budge offa doing a 1-1.

So basically the question is should I sacrifice long term for short term and do the deal?

I have been tring to get this exact deal done now for acouple weeks, the vjax owner will not bite. However im not in a keeper league and that what complicates this trade for you. If you want to win this year then i think its obvious you make this deal. The future is kinda hard to predict, Calvins talent is 1st to none IMO, but lets remember that even though he has alot of talent your still going to be depending on Stafford to develop. Vjax has proven to me that he will be a great WR for years to come, and Rivers is already amoung the the top 7 or so QBs in the league. Personally i would still make this trade cause Vjax looks like the real deal and even if Im wrong and Calvin blows up, i honestly dont think the gap between Calvin and Vjax is going to be that large.

I had the same sort of thinking. I asked a friend and he emphaticly said not to do it, I asked another and he said "thats tough". So it kinda left me wishy washy on it.

I read a lot of threads about buying low on Megatron, but this doesn't seem like buying low. It seems like an even trade. I would take Jackson because you know he is healthy. SD has an unfavorable matchup this week, but Jackson is borderline matchup proof and the #1 by a long shot in SD.

I would do it. I think you win big. Even if CJ can play, Jackson is on a better team.

SD still plays Cle, KC, Dal, Ten <---- All good and Philly, Denver, Cincy. Cincy is at home so I think the Chargers play well, but that is week 15...

Thanks for helping mine!

if you REALLY wanna win it this year, do it w/o question.

long-term, i wouldn't do it.

Appreciate your help!

Personally, I'd stick with Calvin long-term. I think VJax is absolutely the better short-term answer, and probably the better player the rest of this season. It's a tough call and really boils down to what you value more, winning now, or keeping the stud long-term. But like I said, VJax is and will be the better player and producer the rest of the 2009 season...

Appreciate your help!

Personally, I'd stick with Calvin long-term. I think VJax is absolutely the better short-term answer, and probably the better player the rest of this season. It's a tough call and really boils down to what you value more, winning now, or keeping the stud long-term. But like I said, VJax is and will be the better player and producer the rest of the 2009 season...

See I totally agree with u. I have always sacrificed short term for long term in every keeper league Ive ever been in and its always worked for me until the last 2 years. Its almost as if it keeps backfiring in my face. While ive stuck with my long term thinking....the other manager I mention in this thread has always thought short term and dumped hurt players for depth or the hot player at the moment and hes worried about next year when next year rolled around. We have both done well with our strategies its just that hes done a bit better with his as of late. Its gotten me to thinking that with this team this year I should probably do the same if I hope to beat him come playoff time.

Theres other crazy good teams too like this one-

QB-Ryan

WR(2)-Fitz,DeSean

RB(2)-CJ,Rice

TE-Celek

FLEX-Harvin

K-Akers

DEF-Eagles

Bench-A.Gonzo,Eli,Garcon,W.Parker

Tough question. Calvin is a bonafide beast when healthy and Jackson is getting there but he's a tier below. You have a pretty good team and you can arguably win with what you have but I agree that Jackson is def the better option this year. New QB and all might take some time to get in sync. Braylon is the same with Sanchez.

Without any info on when Calvin suits up again and your chances of winning the league, it's a tough call. If Calvin comes back soon, you could get by with him and Ward since your RB's are better than anyone's in the league by a lot. If you think Jackson puts you over the top this year then make the trade but I would prob hold off thinking I can win with the guys you have. Your depth is there and you really just need boldin or johnson to return and step up.

I'd take Vincent Jackson over Calvin ANY DAY OF THE WEEK. Vincent Jackson is getting sooo many looks it is ridiculous. Even in a keeper league I'd take VJax. He's gonna be good for a while, has a better QB and the Chargers are no longer a running team. They pass all day long now.

Play to win TODAY.

Thanks for the help in my thread.

Id make the trade for VJax. Calvin is a beast and will probaly be a beast for the rest of his career but Jax isnt too shabby himself...

I'd be inclined to take the trade. C Johnson is the better player, but V Jax is on a good team, with a good QB, and has years of production ahead of him. And we don't know when or if the Lions will be an effective offense.

Depends on how long you can keep both players. Dynasty (forever), I keep Calvin. Detroit will be good sooner than later if they keep Calvin, Smith, & Stafford together and Schwartz rebuilds that team into Tennessee North (anybody else find it interesting Tennessee fell off the cliff when he left town? with multiple personnel upgrades even...but I digress).

Calvin will throw up a season one of these years unlike anything we've ever seen. He's still only 23. I'd bet even money that he has multiple 20 TD seasons before he's done. Hard to watch that happen on someone else's team, no?

3 years or less keeper status, I probably make that trade. Tough to go through a season with two injured STUD WRs and have any real success. Injuries suck.

Thanks for the help on mine.

Thx 4 mine---this is a tough one....I may be biased because I have Vjax, but he has helped me win some close games this year!!! If you really want long term, Calvin may be the guy;

FYI--I am from the Detroit area and listen to sports talk radio all day on the road and the one thing that was said about megatron is that in practice today he was 100% healthy and looks ready to play!!

Thx 4 mine---this is a tough one....I may be biased because I have Vjax, but he has helped me win some close games this year!!! If you really want long term, Calvin may be the guy;

FYI--I am from the Detroit area and listen to sports talk radio all day on the road and the one thing that was said about megatron is that in practice today he was 100% healthy and looks ready to play!!

Its funny cause I had just read something similar and thought to myself that the V.Jax owners time to get this deal done is gettin shorter n shorter cause the window to buy low on Calvin could very well be closing. And that basically goes for anyone targetting Calvin as a buy low right now.

Depends on how long you can keep both players. Dynasty (forever), I keep Calvin. Detroit will be good sooner than later if they keep Calvin, Smith, & Stafford together and Schwartz rebuilds that team into Tennessee North (anybody else find it interesting Tennessee fell off the cliff when he left town? with multiple personnel upgrades even...but I digress).

Calvin will throw up a season one of these years unlike anything we've ever seen. He's still only 23. I'd bet even money that he has multiple 20 TD seasons before he's done. Hard to watch that happen on someone else's team, no?

3 years or less keeper status, I probably make that trade. Tough to go through a season with two injured STUD WRs and have any real success. Injuries suck.

Thanks for the help on mine.

We can keep them for however long we like. We keep 8 players each year.

Do it. While VJ is not on par with CJ when it comes to talent, he plays for a far better offense that now seems to love to throw the ball constantly. I don't think this hurts you much in the future and it definitely helps you for this year.

Its funny cause I had just read something similar and thought to myself that the V.Jax owners time to get this deal done is gettin shorter n shorter cause the window to buy low on Calvin could very well be closing. And that basically goes for anyone targetting Calvin as a buy low right now.

Im not saying V.Jax isnt a good return on Calvin at the moment but imo Calvins the better WR ya know.

Is this a keeper league? I like VJax the rest of the way and I do like Megatron but I have serious concerns about his health for his career. Has a bad back besides his current knee injury. You have to weigh whether you think you can win this thing this year. Boldin is the one that's killing you. I like both players. Just traded for VJax and trying to trade for Megatron. In the end, if you want to compete get the better player for this year and that's VJax......

Take the deal. VJax has emerged this year as an elite WR and Calvins knee could continue to cause problems. I have Calvin and I would take that deal

Thanks for the help with mine .... I think Calvin is the best receiver in the NFL, bar none. That said, VJax is in a better situation right now. This one really is a tough one, but I think I would lean toward VJax. While I do believe that the Lions will get much better, VJax isn't that far behind Calvin, and you get a chance to win now.

If you are in a good position to win this year, then I think you take it. Vjax isn't a bad player to have in a keeper league (no Calvin, though), but I don't see you being able to win with Johnson/Boldin banged up and having to rely on Ward and Braylon. If you are middle of the road and VJax doesn't put you over the top, then you should stick with Calvin.

Thanks for the help.