Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Vriez

ESPN

ESPN shows what people want to watch. More people will watch any Yankees/Sox game than will watch any other baseball matchup. The playoffs last year really proved that.

Thats ok... The Yankees will be watching the Red Sox, Indians and Tigers play in post-season....

Honestly, as a Red Sox fan, I am tired of ESPN hyping every NY/BOS game.

I would much rather watch it on NESN with Don Orsillo and Jerry Remy. Much better than the ESPN crew.

Don't look now but the Yankees face the other Sox on Monday night, in the ex-Clemens time slot.

By the way the Yankees just won. They are as good as Boston head to head as the past two series have shown.

If Abreu didn't pull that catch out of his crapper last night then we wouldn't even be talking about the Yankees being just as good as the Sox.

Chad Gaudin beat Johan Santana yesterday.

Chad Gaudin is better than Johan Santana.

Exactly.

One faulty Head to Head analogy deserves another. It was in direct response to Zslamma's post, hence the inclusion of that post in my post.

The Yankees don't have the Pitching Boston does, nor the positional depth and a virtual NEW Murderer's Row of Hitters, with Youkilis and Lowell complementing the bejesus out of Manny and Ortiz.

Also- Right now, the Yankees/Red Sox tilts are not nearly as important to the Sox as they are the Yankees. Ergo the Sox are not going to set their line-ups nor play with the intensity that they would should these games be post-season contests. That philosophy, right or wrong, is bound to be employed when you go into a series leading by 13.5 games.

As for "What does that have to do with anything?":

What ESPN outlet are you listening to that features a Carolina Panthers Linebacker and FOX Broadcaster Tim McCarver? ;-)

Knowing that you are talking about JOE Morgan: He has become insufferable and arrogant. When he and Miller were starting their partnership as Giants announcers, Morgan stumbled more often, but brought fresher baseball-the-game material to the broadcasts. Now he drags down Jon Miller- still a great play-by-play man when not having to interact with Joe- with his droning pontification. ESPN is to blame for this, as they seem to think that the actual Sunday Night Baseball games themselves are there soley to serve as a backdrop to their "entertainment". Hubris.

That -and their Yankee/Sox obsession...tiresome crap. I agree that the coverage is insane. But on the bright side- for me anyway- is that this time they went so overboard on the Clemens story that when they started cutting away to him pitching minor league innings I began to laugh maniacally!

ESPN became a parody of itself.

And THAT is funny.

Jon Miller is actually very good. Joe Morgan is actually quite awful. I almost always watch the game either on mute or a very, very low volume because of Morgan. Just terrible.

Almost as bad as Tim McCarver and Joe Buck, aka 'The Yankee Cheerleaders'. They couldn't be more "Pro-Yankees" if they tried. I just remember when Boston came back to win in 2004 4 games to 3, they both just sat there and you could tell that if they panned over to both of them in the booth, they were both crying and shaking their heads in a saddened disgust.

Honestly, as a Red Sox fan, I am tired of ESPN hyping every NY/BOS game.

I would much rather watch it on NESN with Don Orsillo and Jerry Remy. Much better than the ESPN crew.

Even as a yanks fan, Id rather watch Yanks-Sox on NESN. I enjoy local broadcasters, they have unique stuff to add that the national guys dont always know about. The beauty of Extra Innings!!!

That there are other teams in baseball besides BOS and NY?

I don't mind if you want to show one of their games every week. I really don't. I understand that they are the big markets and are going to get the most viewers.

However, you already showed game 1 of the BOS/ATL series. Do we really need to see Julian Tavarez vs Buddy Carlyle??

How about CC Sabathia vs Ryan Howard? A-Rod and the Yanks in Coors Field? Alfonso Soriano back in Texas?

Ridiculous.

I don't mind if you want to show one of their games every week. I really don't. I understand that they are the big markets and are going to get the most viewers.

However, you already showed game 1 of the BOS/ATL series. Do we really need to see Julian Tavarez vs Buddy Carlyle??

How about CC Sabathia vs Ryan Howard? A-Rod and the Yanks in Coors Field? Alfonso Soriano back in Texas?

Ridiculous.

Just pay extra for FSN+, or travel all over the AM and FM dial and maybe you could watch/listen to your hometown A's? The difference of course being no one cares enough to argue that they A's games are 3rd most important IN THEIR OWN MARKET - and that is why we see the Red Sox and the Yankees more often.

ESPN is the east coast. A's highlights are with 5 minutes to go of Sportscenter. No love

Just pay extra for FSN+, or travel all over the AM and FM dial and maybe you could watch/listen to your hometown A's? The difference of course being no one cares enough to argue that they A's games are 3rd most important IN THEIR OWN MARKET - and that is why we see the Red Sox and the Yankees more often.

What do the A's have to do with this? I could care less if A's games get on ESPN. I have FSN+ and MLB.tv (but don't want to be in front of the PC in the evening as well). I can watch A's games without ESPN. That's not the point.

Like I said, I really don't mind if they show the Sox or Yankees every week because some of the best storylines involve them. I had absolutely no problem with them showing Game 1 of ATL/BOS because it was a good pitching matchup (Schilling vs Hudson)

However, they blatantly and blindly choose those games like they have no idea what's going on with the rest of the league.

I would love to see the national broadcast of the Yankees tonight because I want to see what they can do in Coors. I would love to see CC Sabathia pitch to Ryan Howard. The nation doesn't get to see that though because ESPN wants to show a mediocre BOS/ATL game, a matchup they already broadcasted this week.

What do the A's have to do with this? I could care less if A's games get on ESPN. I have FSN+ and MLB.tv (but don't want to be in front of the PC in the evening as well). I can watch A's games without ESPN. That's not the point.

Like I said, I really don't mind if they show the Sox or Yankees every week because some of the best storylines involve them. I had absolutely no problem with them showing Game 1 of ATL/BOS because it was a good pitching matchup (Schilling vs Hudson)

However, they blatantly and blindly choose those games like they have no idea what's going on with the rest of the league.

I would love to see the national broadcast of the Yankees tonight because I want to see what they can do in Coors. I would love to see CC Sabathia pitch to Ryan Howard. The nation doesn't get to see that though because ESPN wants to show a mediocre BOS/ATL game, a matchup they already broadcasted this week.

very good point. One game is enough of BOS/ATL.

Very true but those other teams don't matter outside of our fantasy baseball world.

I agree on all fronts with you, and I am a Sox fan. The reason those teams "don't matter" is because they aren't exposed nationally, I think that's kinda his point. Plus, hey, I need something quality to watch during commercial breaks.

ESPN will toss a bone on occasion (i.e., PHI @ SF aka Tim Lincecum's MLB debut), but it is ridiculous how it's usually Yankees or Red Sox. But they keep doing it because they still get ratings. They're more concerned with ratings than giving the casual baseball fan some variety. The solution is to just not watch ESPN. I have NESN and MLB.TV so I'm not short on options (except Saturdays, because of f'n FOX).

I agree with you guys and I live in NY.

I'm tired of seeing the Yankees on ESPN mainly b/c I can turn on YES if I want to. I want to see the A's, Angels, Padres, Dodgers, Twins, and Astros more frequently.

ESPN will toss a bone on occasion (i.e., PHI @ SF aka Tim Lincecum's MLB debut), but it is ridiculous how it's usually Yankees or Red Sox. But they keep doing it because they still get ratings. They're more concerned with ratings than giving the casual baseball fan some variety. The solution is to just not watch ESPN. I have NESN and MLB.TV so I'm not short on options (except Saturdays, because of f'n FOX).

I have MLB.tv too, but it's obviously not the same as watching it on TV. Thank god they got rid off that annoying Edge Deodorant commercial and the ping pong game you can't play.

And yeah, the FOX issue is a whole other rant. It's like ESPN and Fox gets their ratings by alienating viewers and forcing them to watch. It'd be nice if there were multiple channels with rights to MLB games the same way the NFL works. The competition between networks would force them to be more daring about which games to air.

It's basic supply and demand though. I detest both the Sox and Yanks. It is like rooting for satan or the apocalypse. But, unfortunately, a lot of people like satan, um, I mean the Sox and Yanks, so therefore, ESPN is just doing good business selling their soul to the highest bidders.

Well said my friend. Fortunately, I get almost every Cubs game - maybe all of them.

I do watch other teams though and I want to see some of the other games going on. It seems that ESPN caters to the casual fan. B)

I can't quite get myself to pay for the MLB package. I'd have to watch a lot of games to feel it was worth the money. Unfortunately, my a** can't handle that much couch time. :)

I hate it too actually. I can watch the SOx on NESN and flip to another game on ESPN, except when the Sox are on ESPN...

I have MLB.tv too, but it's obviously not the same as watching it on TV. Thank god they got rid off that annoying Edge Deodorant commercial and the ping pong game you can't play.

And yeah, the FOX issue is a whole other rant. It's like ESPN and Fox gets their ratings by alienating viewers and forcing them to watch. It'd be nice if there were multiple channels with rights to MLB games the same way the NFL works. The competition between networks would force them to be more daring about which games to air.

They are basically not allowing people to watch the games because of their region or whatever. It's retarded and I can't think of any other sport that does that. FOX sucks.

I'm glad they ditched the deodorant and the Bob's commercial. Talk about overkill!

BTW, I thought it was hilarious that ESPN scooped up a Monday night matchup between the Yankees and White Sox with the assumption that Roger Clemens was going to make his season debut that night...only to get stuck with Matt DeSalvo. LOL!

well the game is about to start. i hope it is a good one.

I'm outraged that they're not showing the Pirates/Mariners game.

But seriously....Sammy with a chance to hit 600 against his former team?

That seems like the Wednesday night game to me.

Granted, I'm completely biased.

Pony up for a satellite dish then and drop MLB.TV since you don't seem to watch it. Problem solved. With 95% of ALL baseball games available to the determined consumer, it makes NO sense to complain about what games are on ESPN.

And if you HONESTLY think ESPN chooses games without ANY idea of the rest of league, you should take a class in Mass Communications. ESPN knows EXACTLY what it is doing and quite frankly they don't (much) care what you (or I) think.