Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Skoodog

Top 30 2010 Rookie Prospects

As we are about a month into the offseason and some of us may have rookie drafts around the corner, I thought it'd be good to get a rookie rankings going. NoGimmicks really helped out a ton here w/ the team-by-team but as many of us know, one team's #1 may not be as good as another's #5.

So who you got?

As we are about a month into the offseason and some of us may have rookie drafts around the corner, I thought it'd be good to get a rookie rankings going. NoGimmicks really helped out a ton here w/ the team-by-team but as many of us know, one team's #1 may not be as good as another's #5.

So who you got?

What do you mean by "rookie" drafts? I'm assuming this is a draft for your keeper league. Does this keeper league not allow minor leaguers? If so then I would assume it's mainly to draft guys who broke out last year or were drafted last year?...

But I would be interested in making a top 30 prospect list. Not sure if that is the same as a rookie list or not because some guys will be high up in the prospect list even though they may be a year or two away from the majors.

What do you mean by "rookie" drafts? I'm assuming this is a draft for your keeper league. Does this keeper league not allow minor leaguers? If so then I would assume it's mainly to draft guys who broke out last year or were drafted last year?...

I have a team in a dynasty league, an AL Only league, and a NL Only league, ALL through yahoo. And yahoo tends to only include prospects that are real close to the majors and sometimes not even until they've appeared in a mlb game so that leaves alot that will be available in 2010 that weren't listed in '09. More than just last years draft pics or prospects that broke out.

I have a team in a dynasty league, an AL Only league, and a NL Only league, ALL through yahoo. And yahoo tends to only include prospects that are real close to the majors and sometimes not even until they've appeared in a mlb game so that leaves alot that will be available in 2010 that weren't listed in '09. More than just last years draft pics or prospects that broke out.

Ah yes the Yahoo! player pool. Well there should be a lot of solid names in there.

I know guys like Jarrod Parker, Brandon Allen, Drew Stubbs, Micheal Brantley, John Bowker, Lars Anderson, Micheal Saunders, Dayan Vicedo, Tyler Flowers, Austin Jackson, and Eric Young Jr. are not rostered in my Yahoo! keeper league (fairly shallow and you need production out of your almost all of your players). This is just to name a few I know there are a ton of guys in that database that I'm missing. Basically any prospect who has had any MLB playing time will be in the Yahoo! database.

Otherwise in Yahoo! keeper leagues you are generally better off going for guys who have had MLB service time but haven't actualized there talent yet in the bigs like Carlos Gomez, Cameron Maybin, Ryan Sweeney, Max Ramirez, etc.

In the topic description i defined rookie as <130 AB / <50 IP per rookie considerations, so prospects would be inclusive.

Basically i want to see how top MiLB players from each system stack up vs. one another. Example: Jesus Montero and Jason Castro are both players at the top of their respective clubs' minor systems, but the talent distance between the two is almost immeasurable.

Does that make sense?

In the topic description i defined rookie as <130 AB / <50 IP per rookie considerations, so prospects would be inclusive.

Basically i want to see how top MiLB players from each system stack up vs. one another. Example: Jesus Montero and Jason Castro are both players at the top of their respective clubs' minor systems, but the talent distance between the two is almost immeasurable.

Does that make sense?

Yes, Yahoo! though is very stingy about what prospects they put into there database. They have very few players who haven't seen MLB time in there database. They don't have either Jesus Montero or Jason Castro.

They just closed down the play sections for the year today. So maybe they will add a bunch of top prospects like Montero and Heyward.

Yes, Yahoo! though is very stingy about what prospects they put into there database. They have very few players who haven't seen MLB time in there database. They don't have either Jesus Montero or Jason Castro.

They just closed down the play sections for the year today. So maybe they will add a bunch of top prospects like Montero and Heyward.

No, this post had nothing to do w/ Yahoo...where did that train of thought come from?

I guess I'm out of luck for rankings then?

Well are you looking for a list of top prospects who've been drafted at any time, or just guys who were drafted in 09 or broke out last year?

Obviously the former would have the likes of Bumgarner, Feliz, Matusz, Posey, Jennings, etc. The latter list would only include the 09 draft class such as Strasburg, Ackley & then guys who really broke through like Friedrich

No, this post had nothing to do w/ Yahoo...where did that train of thought come from?

I guess I'm out of luck for rankings then?

Yeah, sorry Dan said he had a an AL and NL only keeper leagues through Yahoo!. That's what put me on the Yahoo! path.

But it is hard to say who would be available in your league. I play in 20 team 50 man roster keeper leagues so a lot of prospects have been owned for a few years now in those leagues. What kind of rosters are you working with and how many of the top prospects are already owned?

Yeah, sorry Dan said he had a an AL and NL only keeper leagues through Yahoo!. That's what put me on the Yahoo! path.

But it is hard to say who would be available in your league. I play in 20 team 50 man roster keeper leagues so a lot of prospects have been owned for a few years now in those leagues. What kind of rosters are you working with and how many of the top prospects are already owned?

I'm also not asking for bench coach info for my own league. I'm asking for a list of the top 30 rookies as defined by the topic description.

Am I doing a really bad job of explaining this?

Well are you looking for a list of top prospects who've been drafted at any time, or just guys who were drafted in 09 or broke out last year?

Obviously the former would have the likes of Bumgarner, Feliz, Matusz, Posey, Jennings, etc. The latter list would only include the 09 draft class such as Strasburg, Ackley & then guys who really broke through like Friedrich

This.

I'm also not asking for bench coach info for my own league. I'm asking for a list of the top 30 rookies as defined by the topic description.

Am I doing a really bad job of explaining this?

Eh, sort of. You did say:

Does that make sense?

The only problem was that wasn't said in the initial post. But that's no big deal now. It sounds like you're interested in a ranking of the top 30+ prospects, no matter when they were drafted, who would be considered a mlb rookie in 2010 (hasn't used up the <130 AB / <50 IP rookie eligibility requirements) and from a fantasy perspective. I hope I understood that correctly.

Wow at 12 posts to figure it out lol

Yes dan, you are correct at what he's looking for. Most site will publish their top MiLB for the year lists after christmas, but it looks like Skoo is eager, or has a draft sooner than that.

Eh, sort of. You did say:

The only problem was that wasn't said in the initial post. But that's no big deal now. It sounds like you're interested in a ranking of the top 30+ prospects, no matter when they were drafted, who would be considered a mlb rookie in 2010 (hasn't used up the <130 AB / <50 IP rookie eligibility requirements) and from a fantasy perspective. I hope I understood that correctly.

So what exactly do you want a list of? Top 30 prospects based off of max MLB potential? Or just top 30 prospects based off of guys who are likely to exhaust rookie eligibility next year? Because there are players who aren't very likely to see playing time in 2010 yet I'd much rather have them as a keeper then some guys who are a lot closer to the majors.

Now you are saying you want to see how top prospects in orginazations stack up against one another?

Let's un complicate this whole matter.

Do you want

1) rank the top 30 prospects (a prospect being defined as someone who still has rookie eligability) regardless of how close they are to the majors.

2) Rank the top 30 prospects of guys who actually have a chance to be rookies next year.

3) The top 1 prospect of each team's system (if we stick with the 30 prospects as there are 30 teams) to see how they rank against everyother team's top prospect.

let me know and I could start cranking you out a list.

1) rank the top 30 prospects (a prospect being defined as someone who still has rookie eligability) regardless of how close they are to the majors.

This.

Alright, I'll take a swing at this. Keep in mind this is the first time I've tried to put together a list like this, so go easy on me!

1.) Jason Heyward - Potentially a once in a generation talent, held in the same regard (at this early stage) as Griffey Jr and Justin Upton.

2.) Stephen Strasburg - Another rare talent. Could be #1 overall, but I typically take the bat over the arm.

3.) Jesus Montero - Tough call here. If he stays at C his value remains high, but if moved, he'll have to rake to justify this ranking.

4.) Carlos Santana - From a fantasy perspective, I like Santana's bat more than Posey's, hence the ranking.

5.) Desmond Jennings - A right-handed Carl Crawford comp. Need I say more?

6.) Michael Stanton - Just a beast. If he can get the K's in control, look out. Could be a perennial 35-40+ HR hitter.

7.) Buster Posey - An all-around talent at a premium position. I envision many all-star games in the future for this guy.

8.) Brian Matusz - Looks like an ace in the making. Command of 4 potential plus pitches.

9.) Neftali Feliz - A fireballer who, from the sounds of things, will transition back to the rotation in 2010.

10.) Martin Perez - Johan Santana comp, reached AA at age 18 in 2009. Remember this name!

11.) Justin Smoak - Didn't exceed expectations in '09, but is a switch-hitting 1B with power who should arrive quickly.

12.) Pedro Alvarez - Batting average may be a problem throughout his career, but this is one of the top power hitters in all the minors.

13.) Dustin Ackley - If he makes the rumored move to 2B, his value skyrockets. Potential future batting champ with 25/25 potential.

14.) Domonic Brown - Still very raw, but has some of the best tools in the game.

15.) Logan Morrison - Can hit for average and power and commands the strike zone. Just needs to put it all together.

16.) Jeremy Hellickson - Not necessarily a "stuff' guy, but the guy consistently just goes out and shuts down lineups.

17.) Michael Taylor - Has all the tools, but HR's will be limited by a line drive swing. I see a future .300, 20/20 guy.

18.) Christian Friedrich - Lefty with filthy stuff (low 90's fastball and hammer curve) that translates into a lot of K's.

19.) Madison Bumgarner - Can't deny the upside, but he has to regain lost velocity and work on secondary offerings to achieve his potential.

20.) Kyle Drabek - A guy who's grown on me, and someone the Phils refused to include in any offers at last year's trade deadline.

21.) Wade Davis - Potential front-of-the-rotation workhorse. Has the stuff, just needs to refine the command.

22.) Yonder Alonso - Similar in profile to Logan Morrison, but I think Morrison has more power, important from the 1B position.

23.) Fernando Martinez - Consider age vs. level, this guy is still an elite talent, just needs to learn to stay healthy to showcase the skills.

24.) Jaff Decker - A guy I've compared to Travis Snider at this age. Bad body, but one of the best bats in the MWL in '09.

25.) Brett Wallace - Just a good all around hitter who should get the call some time in 2010 and is a future cornerstone of the A's.

26.) Derek Norris - A catching prospect with power and an advanced knowledge of the strike zone. Needs to work on the contact tool.

27.) Alcides Escobar - Barely qualifies for this list. A speedy SS, similar profile to Elvis Andrus.

28.) Chris Carter - Slugging 1B who K's an awful lot and might be exposed at the ML level. Or he could be a RH Ryan Howard.

29.) Hector Rondon - Isn't getting the hype he deserves. Very advanced, and young (21) for AAA.

30.) Ryan Westmoreland - Yes, I'm a homer (just couldn't resist)…this guy is still a good 2-3 years from the show, but few have the ceiling this guy has.

I think you'll find that I've rearranged some of the pitchers in this list from the top 10 SP prospect list I did in another thread, but really Drabek was a bad omission on my part, Jarrod Parker wound up having TJ surgery and Wade Davis came up and shut down opposing teams (albeit in a small sample size).

Alright, I'll take a swing at this. Keep in mind this is the first time I've tried to put together a list like this, so go easy on me!

1.) Jason Heyward - Potentially a once in a generation talent, held in the same regard (at this early stage) as Griffey Jr and Justin Upton.

2.) Stephen Strasburg - Another rare talent. Could be #1 overall, but I typically take the bat over the arm.

3.) Jesus Montero - Tough call here. If he stays at C his value remains high, but if moved, he'll have to rake to justify this ranking.

4.) Carlos Santana - From a fantasy perspective, I like Santana's bat more than Posey's, hence the ranking.

6.) Michael Stanton - Just a beast. If he can get the K's in control, look out. Could be a perennial 35-40+ HR hitter.

7.) Buster Posey - An all-around talent at a premium position. I envision many all-star games in the future for this guy.

8.) Brian Matusz - Looks like an ace in the making. Command of 4 potential plus pitches.

9.) Neftali Feliz - A fireballer who, from the sounds of things, will transition back to the rotation in 2010.

10.) Martin Perez - Johan Santana comp, reached AA at age 18 in 2009. Remember this name!

11.) Justin Smoak - Didn't exceed expectations in '09, but is a switch-hitting 1B with power who should arrive quickly.

12.) Pedro Alvarez - Batting average may be a problem throughout his career, but this is one of the top power hitters in all the minors.

13.) Dustin Ackley - If he makes the rumored move to 2B, his value skyrockets. Potential future batting champ with 25/25 potential.

14.) Domonic Brown - Still very raw, but has some of the best tools in the game.

15.) Logan Morrison - Can hit for average and power and commands the strike zone. Just needs to put it all together.

16.) Jeremy Hellickson - Not necessarily a "stuff' guy, but the guy consistently just goes out and shuts down lineups.

17.) Michael Taylor - Has all the tools, but HR's will be limited by a line drive swing. I see a future .300, 20/20 guy.

18.) Christian Friedrich - Lefty with filthy stuff (low 90's fastball and hammer curve) that translates into a lot of K's.

19.) Madison Bumgarner - Can't deny the upside, but he has to regain lost velocity and work on secondary offerings to achieve his potential.

20.) Kyle Drabek - A guy who's grown on me, and someone the Phils refused to include in any offers at last year's trade deadline.

21.) Wade Davis - Potential front-of-the-rotation workhorse. Has the stuff, just needs to refine the command.

22.) Yonder Alonso - Similar in profile to Logan Morrison, but I think Morrison has more power, important from the 1B position.

23.) Fernando Martinez - Consider age vs. level, this guy is still an elite talent, just needs to learn to stay healthy to showcase the skills.

24.) Jaff Decker - A guy I've compared to Travis Snider at this age. Bad body, but one of the best bats in the MWL in '09.

25.) Brett Wallace - Just a good all around hitter who should get the call some time in 2010 and is a future cornerstone of the A's.

26.) Derek Norris - A catching prospect with power and an advanced knowledge of the strike zone. Needs to work on the contact tool.

27.) Alcides Escobar - Barely qualifies for this list. A speedy SS, similar profile to Elvis Andrus.

28.) Chris Carter - Slugging 1B who K's an awful lot and might be exposed at the ML level. Or he could be a RH Ryan Howard.

29.) Hector Rondon - Isn't getting the hype he deserves. Very advanced, and young (21) for AAA.

30.) Ryan Westmoreland - Yes, I'm a homer (just couldn't resist)…this guy is still a good 2-3 years from the show, but few have the ceiling this guy has.

I think you'll find that I've rearranged some of the pitchers in this list from the top 10 SP prospect list I did in another thread, but really Drabek was a bad omission on my part, Jarrod Parker wound up having TJ surgery and Wade Davis came up and shut down opposing teams (albeit in a small sample size).

Fantastic post! Thanks, this is exactly what I'm looking for.

Yes and Yes

Beware of "Young Catcher Offensive Stagnation Syndrome". I'd put Jennings and Stanton at #3 & 4.

In the spirit of hitters are more reliable than pitchers, I'd drop Perez, Matusz, and Feliz below the five hitters above.

Bad body, bad team, bad ballpark. This is the only one I really disagree with on your list.

Or Rafael Furcal. And he's guaranteed an opening day start. He belongs higher, due to both upside and certainty.

Very nice list. I'd probably add Freddie Freeman (slugging 1B for Braves who should be the starter by 2011) over Decker. A few other borderline top-30 guys worth considering:

Jason Castro -- moderate upside at C, but much better ballpark than Posey

Matt Gamel -- big bat, unsure if he can stay in Milwaukee

Todd Frazier -- respectable upside, especially for a SS