Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest ciderjack6

Inception

Saw it today and I very much agree that the framework of the story is fairly simplistic. The process of it unfolding is where it gets wonderfully intricate and impressively cerebral. Truly, Nolan is at his apex as a story teller. He's simply the best in the business at this very moment. Not the most acclaimed, or certainly the best director. He's telling interesting stories using common themes and archetypes, but in a new and unconventional way and he's unrivaled today. Truly a great and thought provoking movie. The theme of dream vs. reality (I'll stop there) has been explored in written and cinematic ventures, but this movie really makes it come together as a suspense and crime drama and is visually stunning as well.

There are certainly a few minor plot holes and I wasn't really a huge on the Ellen Page or JG-L (although a big fan) casting, but those are minor quibbles as everyone else is spot on. Cillian Murphy is solid, Watanabe is simply fantastic as usual, but Tom Hardy has to be the big winner here, raising his profile from the crazy "Bronson". Just a great puzzle of a film. Should be up for many an award.....Really goes back to his "Memento" days of uniqueness....

Liked Gattaca as well. Cool flick. Anyone see "Sunshine"? Another Sci-Fi flick (has Murphy in it)? I really enjoyed that if we're talking about under appreciated SF fare....

Actually, the sci-fi film Sunshine has its own thread here in OT. I loved it. The basic story is familiar but Boyle & his cast & crew do a great job executing it.

I saw Inception last night. Wow! Christopher Nolan never disappoints. The story was rich on many levels & executed masterfully. My opinion on what the ending means isn't set in stone, it's kind of shifting w/ my mood at the moment. It's best for me not to discuss details yet, so as not to spoil the experience for anyone else.

Having watched the DVD multiple times this week, I've settled my opinion on the ending &

it's a happy ending, not LIMBO!

B)

i prefer to think of it as the happy 'normal' ending. i think it is a stronger film that way.