Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mschvatz44

Josh "J-smooooove" Smith

Do you guys think that he is a top fantasy player in this upcoming season? I think that he can go as high as late 1st round, what do you guys think?

There was a big debate about this during the season. I'm a big J-Smoove fan, but objectively I think he could be a late 1st round pick. He should definitely be gone by the 2nd round!

Do you guys think that he is a top fantasy player in this upcoming season? I think that he can go as high as late 1st round, what do you guys think?

I've seen a lot of people on this and other boards saying "Smoove" is a first rounder. Personally, I think he's a 3 category liability for the first round. His percentages and points are not first round material. His blocks and steals are obviously top notch and make up for his deficiencies, but in the first round I'm looking for a guy that has at most one major issue compared to other first rounders. I suppose it depends on size of league, since if you're in a 16-20 team league he is a late first rounder, but in a 10-12 team league he isn't in my opinion.

I've seen a lot of people on this and other boards saying "Smoove" is a first rounder. Personally, I think he's a 3 category liability for the first round. His percentages and points are not first round material. His blocks and steals are obviously top notch and make up for his deficiencies, but in the first round I'm looking for a guy that has at most one major issue compared to other first rounders. I suppose it depends on size of league, since if you're in a 16-20 team league he is a late first rounder, but in a 10-12 team league he isn't in my opinion.

I hear you, but I also expect J-Smoove to continue to progress & improve in all areas of his game.

I hear you, but I also expect J-Smoove to continue to progress & improve in all areas of his game.

Yeah that's a very good point. I sometimes forget how young he still is as he has been in the league a few years, but he should definitely still be improving and his shot/durability may make him a much larger force this season. He hasn't really improved either his FG or FT% substantially since entering the league so you're almost certainly going to have a below average player there, but I could definitely see him as a 20+ PPG guy this season which would take care of him being a liability there. Does the addition of a viable inside scorer (Horford) reduce his scoring value or take away double teams is another question I'd like to see answered. All that said, I think he's likely to be a guy that's overvalued in most drafts and therefore I probably won't have him on my team. If he makes it to the 15th+ pick I'll snap him up, but I doubt that will be happening with all the hype he creates.

Yeah that's a very good point. I sometimes forget how young he still is as he has been in the league a few years, but he should definitely still be improving and his shot/durability may make him a much larger force this season. He hasn't really improved either his FG or FT% substantially since entering the league so you're almost certainly going to have a below average player there, but I could definitely see him as a 20+ PPG guy this season which would take care of him being a liability there. Does the addition of a viable inside scorer (Horford) reduce his scoring value or take away double teams is another question I'd like to see answered. All that said, I think he's likely to be a guy that's overvalued in most drafts and therefore I probably won't have him on my team. If he makes it to the 15th+ pick I'll snap him up, but I doubt that will be happening with all the hype he creates.

True, improvement in his percentages is lagging. I except to see some slight progress there & bigger improvements everywhere else.

While i would rather grab him in the early 2nd round, i think he could very well be gone in the late first.

In my rater, he's 13th both in averages and totals for the last season, so if you add this to his youth, he could command a late first round selection if you want to draft him.

I think his main problem is the FT%, but his blocks may help compensate it.

I expect him to still be a FG% neutral to liability, a FT liability, and probably TOs as well. This is why I expect to snag Vince Carter and another more experienced and proven vet with the 12th and 13th picks in our 2 keeper league where I am probably keeping Deron Williams (7th) and Pau Gasol (6th). I could keep Butler (5th) but coming off an INJ, being a SF, and with Deron's playoff run, I'm now leaning solidly towards Deron. I have Smith ranked up there in the low teens, but when I take out the keepers and compare him to more talented vets, I like guys like Vince, JKidd, more, and guys like Tmac and Ray Ray are awfully tempting to take before the Smoover and shaker. It is a very tough call though - my track record shows I am better taking sure things early, then taking chances in the middle rounds. I've already shored up my middle rounds with keepers, so maybe I can stick my neck out early this year.

Yeah, I would say early 2nd round, picks 14-16.

Yes, but hes not a first round pick yet...after this year, he may be in 2009. For this year, I see him going around 20-25th in my league.....though in roto i would suspect his value is higher.....

In a roto league he's more valuable. In H2H, if I miss out on a multi-cat player, it won't hurt as much. Depends on how you want to build your team. Have it really balanced, or dominate certain categories and the rest a crapshoot. He's only as valuable as how you want to build your team. If he's there in in the late 2nd round, I'll take him, but I'm not going to reach for him in the 1st round (10-12 team leagues).

to me he's a mid to late 2nd round pick. i wouldnt be surprised to see him go earlier in all my leagues but im not looking to take him less than maybe 18.

something that hasnt been brought up is that the hawks rotation just got a little bit deeper after the draft. if they dont make a trade before the start of the season, i can see everybody other than joe johnson getting slightly less minutes. the hawks just drafted 2 of the most NBA ready players this yr and they will both see at least 20-25 minutes a game. j-smoove produced last yr, not only cuz he's a super talented stat sheet stuffer, but also cuz he got a ton of minutes. post all-star break he got nearly 40 min a game. maybe he deserved em, but i think he also got a ton of minutes out of necessity. the hawks had no depth last yr, and on top of that suffered alot of injuries so smoove was "forced" to play nearly 40 min a game. i think he'll get closer to 33 MPG this yr. also keep in mind that horford eats glass and can blk shots as well. josh wont always be the last line of defense.

just some stuff to consider...

to me he's a mid to late 2nd round pick. i wouldnt be surprised to see him go earlier in all my leagues but im not looking to take him less than maybe 18.

something that hasnt been brought up is that the hawks rotation just got a little bit deeper after the draft. if they dont make a trade before the start of the season, i can see everybody other than joe johnson getting slightly less minutes. the hawks just drafted 2 of the most NBA ready players this yr and they will both see at least 20-25 minutes a game. j-smoove produced last yr, not only cuz he's a super talented stat sheet stuffer, but also cuz he got a ton of minutes. post all-star break he got nearly 40 min a game. maybe he deserved em, but i think he also got a ton of minutes out of necessity. the hawks had no depth last yr, and on top of that suffered alot of injuries so smoove was "forced" to play nearly 40 min a game. i think he'll get closer to 33 MPG this yr. also keep in mind that horford eats glass and can blk shots as well. josh wont always be the last line of defense.

just some stuff to consider...

No...no...no - 33mpg will not happen. I dont care who they drafted, he is too much of a defensive presence to keep off the court.....b/c of his foul trouble, he wont be close to 40 like most stars, he should be around 35-36 again...

No...no...no - 33mpg will not happen. I dont care who they drafted, he is too much of a defensive presence to keep off the court.....b/c of his foul trouble, he wont be close to 40 like most stars, he should be around 35-36 again...

smith isnt that great defensively on the ball, his off the ball defense, although elite, wont be needed as much with horford back there as well.

factor in that smith wasnt very efficient player last yr (still takes alot of bad shots and is very turnover prone) and i think he'll see less 40 min games this season. the minutes for horford and law will have to come out of somebody's minutes so i think everybody's minutes other than joe johnson's will be effected.

i'll see if i can do the math later.

I had the 5th pick last season & I drafted Smith in the 2nd round. I realized I had reached at that time, but didn't care. I wanted to own Smith or I wouldn't have been interested in playing fantasy basketball. It was a fine pick too, as I finished 2nd overall. I would have finished 1st if not for a lot of last season injuries to my squad.

I've got the same attitude for this upcoming season; I must own J-Smoove or what's the point?!?!

Smith, Gerald Wallace both are my under the radar guys. although Smith is by no means under the radar anymore. but he is a must have come draft day. he is borderline late 1st rounder, along with Wallace, but your team is much better served if you get him in the 2nd round or later. drafting Smith takes alot of pressure off not getting one of the top C's.the amount of blocks and boards he gets your team goes a long way towards compensating for weak frontcourt.

While i agree with most of your analysis (especially the top C part of it involving Smith), i don't think Smith nor Wallace are under the radar anymore.

I managed to own them both last year, but if you need a second and third round to get them, and that's being lucky, i wouldn't say they are under the radar.

Players under the radar to me are the ones that go a couple of rounds later than they should in a consistent basis. I could name Barbosa, maybe, but i'm not sure now how high will he go next fall. My surprise was to find he finished the year 24th in averages and 12th in totals last year in my rater. I might be wrong, but i don't think he will go any higher than a 5th round in most drafts next year, and he could be a steal down there.

I agree.

roto leagues yes...pts league...no

hes an animal