Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2ndCitySox

Epic Albums Thread

My hidden agenda here is to find some great albums to buy. I hardly buy CD's anymore, but I want to start buying a new one every month or two. What are some of your favorites? If it's an obscure band, explain the genre! Should be interesing...

Some of my favorites:

Pearl Jam - Ten

Tom Petty- Full Moon Fever

Metallica - ...And Justice for All

Snoop Dogg - Doggy Style

Frank Zappa - Joe's Garage (both discs)

Nothing obscure, but some of my top all time must-haves off the top of my head.

Metallica--Master of Puppets is by far their best (IMO), followed closely by Ride the Lightning.

Guns N'Roses--Appetite for Destruction

Run DMC--Raisin' Hell

Beastie Boys--Paul's Boutique

Prince--Purple Rain

Black Sabbath--Paranoid

B.I.G.--Ready to Die

Nirvana--Nevermind

Fleetwood Mac--Rumours

Since you put Snoop Dogg up there his new album is pretty good you should listen to it.

I'm a rap fan/r&b

Some of my favs

Drake- So far gone but his new cd drops soon should be really good

Kayne West-Graduation

T.I.-Urban Legend or T.I. vs T.I.P.

Lupe Fiasco ethier one of his cd's

And any Jay-z works

Much more but a lot of people prolly don't like rap on here lol.

the marshall mathers lp - eminem

the slim shady lp - eminem

man on the moon: the end of day - kid cudi

graduation - kanye west

808s and heartbreak - kanye

the documentary - the game

doggystyle - snoop

third eye blind - third eye blind

stadium arcadium - red hot chili peppers

all the rocky soundtracks - bill conti

My hidden agenda here is to find some great albums to buy. I hardly buy CD's anymore, but I want to start buying a new one every month or two. What are some of your favorites? If it's an obscure band, explain the genre! Should be interesing...

Some of my favorites:

Pearl Jam - Ten

Tom Petty- Full Moon Fever

Metallica - ...And Justice for All

Snoop Dogg - Doggy Style

Frank Zappa - Joe's Garage (both discs)

Always glad to talk some music. B)

A few hip-hop recommendations:

Blu & Exile- Below the Heavens (one of the better records of the last few years)

Large Professor- Main Source

Statik Selektah- Stick 2 the Script (also has a new album due next week, should be great)

Black Milk- Tronic

Marco Polo- Port Authority

Blakroc- Blakroc (hip-hop/blues rock project involving the Black Keys and a number of MCs such as Raekwon, Mos Def, and others)

The Alchemist- 1st Infantry

The Foreign Exchange- Connected

Solid collection of works from some of the best producers around.

If I try to list my favorites of all-time, I'll kick myself later if I forget an important work, so I'll just list some what I've been listening to lately:

Dark Angel- Time Does Not Heal: A must if you enjoy pre-Black Album Metallica. Easily one of the best thrash records I've ever heard.

Fugazi- The Argument: Huge Fugazi fan. Probably their most accessible album.

Quicksand- Slip: Then again, as much I love Fugazi, I'm not sure if any of their albums are quite as good as Slip. Great listen if you're into the early 90s grunge and post-hardcore sounds.

Baroness- Blue Record: Really fun, no-frills metal record.

Explosions in the Sky- Those Who Tell the Truth Shall Die, Those Who Tell the Truth Shall Live Forever: Only started listening to these guys a few years ago but I've enjoyed much of their work. With that said, I know that instrumental albums tend to be hit-or-miss for a lot of people.

Strung Out- Agents of the Underground: I prefer my punk to have a bit of heavy influence to it and these guys fit the mold perfectly.

Minus the Bear- Planet of Ice: Quality indie band.

Raekwon- Only Built 4 Cuban Linx Pt. II: The best album of 2009 in my opinion. Not as classic as the original Purple Tape (few albums are) but damn good in its own right.

Miles Davis- Kind of Blue: The obligatory jazz album.

Ace Of Spades , Overkill , No Sleep Till Hammersmith - Motorhead

Master Of Puppets & Ride The Lightning ( Tie ) - Metallica

Paranoid , Master Of Reality , Vol. 4 , Heaven And Hell , Mob Rules , Born Again - Black Sabbath

Holy Diver - Dio

British Steel , Screaming For Vengeance , Unleashed In The East - Judas Priest

The Number Of The Beast , Iron Maiden , Killers , Powerslave , Piece Of Mind , Somewhere In Time , Live After Death -Iron Maiden

Rust In Peace , Peace Sells But Who's Buying - Megadeth

Feel The Fire , Taking Over , The Years Of Decay , Horrorscope - Overkill

Cowboys From Hell , Vuglar Display Of Power , Far Beyond Driven , Official Live 101 Proof - Pantera

Back In Black , Highway To Hell , Powerage , Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap , Let There Be Rock , High Voltage - AC/DC

Blizzard Of Ozz , Diary Of A Madman , Bark At The Moon , Tribute Album To Randy Rhoads - Ozzy Osbourne

Reign In Blood , Seasons In The Abyss , South Of Heaven , Hell Awaits - Slayer

Appetite for Destruction - Guns N' Roses

Shout At The Devil , Dr. Feelgood , Too Fast For Love , Self Titled Album From 1994 ( Their heaviest and darkest record and probably my favorite one ) - Motley Crue

Jailbreak , Live And Dangerous , Bad Reputation , Thunder And Lightning - Thin Lizzy

Nine Inch Nails-Pretty Hate Machine = Best album ever.

The Beatles - Abbey Road, Rubber Soul, White Album

Radiohead - OK Computer, The Bends, In Rainbows (if you're more adventurous try Kid A)

Beck - Odelay

Bjork - Homogenic

Elbow - The Seldom Seen Kid

Bob Dylan - Highway 61 Revisited, Bringing it All Back Home, Blonde on Blonde

Bob Marley - Natural Mystic (Legend 2)

J.S. Bach - Goldberg Variations, Glenn Gould pianist

Minutemen - Double Nickles on the Dime

Arcade Fire - Funeral

Fishbone - Reality of My Surroundings

Flogging Molly - Drunken Lullabies

Howlin' Wolf - His Best: The Chess 50th Anniversary Collection

Iron and Wine - The Creek Drank the Cradle

Parliament - Mothership Connection

John Frusciante - Shadows Collide with People

John Zorn - Naked City

Joni Mitchell - Blue, Hejira, Court and Spark

Mr. Bungle - California

John Coltrane - Giant Steps

Neil Young - Harvest

Neutral Milk Hotel - In the Aeroplane Over the Sea

Soul Coughing - El Oso

Beethoven - Symphonies 5 & 7 by Carlos Kleiber/the Vienna Philharmonic

Outkast - Stankonia

PJ Harvey - Stories from the City, Stories from the Sea

Red Hot Chili Peppers - Blood Sugar Sex Magic

Sex Pistols - Never Mind the Bolloks

Stevie Ray Vaughan - Texas Flood

Miles Davis - Kind of Blue

Jimi Hendrix - Axis: Bold as Love

Stevie Wonder - Songs in the Key of Life, Innervisions

The Thermals - The Body The Blood The Machine

King Crimson - Discipline

Tom Waits - Bone Machine, Nighthawks at the Diner, Rain Dogs

Vampire Weekend - Vampire Weekend

fIREHOSE - Ragin' Full On

Hardly obscure, but I'll still provide comments

Greta- No Biting - Forced by the label to give a slightlier dirtier edge to their music during the grunge era Greta debuted with "No Biting", the best of the shortlived band's 2 album discography

ELP- Welcome Back My Friends To The Show That Never Ends....Ladies And Gentlemen, Emerson Lake And Palmer - Many feel the band is monolithic and ponderous. I love the fact that of all the bands that tried to mix rock and classical music they actually pulled it off brilliantly. Occasionally. Math Rock years before Tool and Meshuggah, synthesizer solos so anarchic that you'll shake your head, Carl Palmer setting the stage for roto-tom artists like Neal Peart, Greg Lake's soulful whiteness and deft musicianship- This album features the best of the band: Live, 3 guys. Insane.

Sex Pistols- Never Mind the Bollocks, Here's the Sex Pistols

The Tubes- The Tubes

Alice Cooper Band- Love It To Death; Killer; Billion Dollar Babies - Alice when he still cared about breaking taboos and making music with a little heart to it (and when he was still Vincent Furnier for an album). Second Coming/Ballad of Dwight Fry is still a treasure after 40 years.

Elton John- Tumbleweed Connection Could have picked any of his early works, but some of the songs on here, man: Burn Down The Mission; My Father's Gun; my all time fave EJ song,

Black Sabbath- Master of Reality This is the album where Tony Iommi tuned down and turned on. Besides the obvious influences on legions of death metal bands 20 years later the Chili Peppers turned "Sweet Leaf" into "Give It Away".

I'm a hip hop fiend, so with that said..

Nas - Illmatic: simply put, this is the Hip Hop Bible. It is blasphemous for any fan of hip hop to not have listened to this album at least several times through. It is a masterpiece. Reading the lyrics to this album alone would put most poets to shame (as long as one can understand some 'hood slang' lol). I've never heard more vivid, creative, descriptive, captivating stories and imagery in any other music in my life. Plus the craziest part of it all, it was all written when Nas was still 19/20 B) ...

other than that, some of my favourite albums and imo must haves for any hip hop head, in no order...(ps started doing write ups for the albums but realized i'd be here all day lol...so here's just a list)

Older Albums

Eminem - Marshall Mathers LP...The Slim Shady LP

Outkast - ATLiens...Aquemeni

Ghostface - Ironman...Supreme Clientelle

Raekwon - Only Built For Cuban Linx

Gang Starr - Moment Of Truth

Biggie - Ready To Die

Nas - It Was Written

Mobb Deep - The Infamous...Hell On Earth

Jay-Z - The Blueprint

i'll compile my recent albums another time.

loving some of the hip hop picks above tho, like Black Milk - Tronic, Foreign Exhange - Connected, Kid Cudi - Man On The Moon (not really hip hop i guess).

Nobody has mentioned Pink Floyd's The Wall yet...wow. I've thought of a few more of my favorites.

Sublime-40 Oz. To Freedom

In Flames-Reroute to Remain

Nine Inch Nails-The Downward Spiral

Nofx-Punk In Drublic

Bad Religion-Recipe for Hate, The Grey Race

Slayer-Season in the Abyss

Nobody has mentioned Pink Floyd's The Wall yet...wow. I've thought of a few more of my favorites.

Well, Sir Pig, the ones I mentioned aren't necessarily my very favorites (side one of "The Tubes" isn't as great as side two, "No Biting" is solid but not in my top 50) but discs that 2Sox may not have given a good listen to and/or may not have sought out aggressively.

HOWEVER- My 2p, were I to list Floyd albums "The Wall" would come behind "Dark Side of the Moon", "Animals", "Wish You Were Here" and "Meddle". A great work overal,l but not, for me at any rate, the type of disc that you can just put on and enjoy tune to tune. A few songs and bridges ("Goodbye Blue Sky", "Is There Anybody Out There," "Nobody Home" for ex.) are solid lyrically and add to the thrust and dynamics of the story but musically don't shine as brightly as other pieces, making for an uneven effort better given to an atmosphere of spectacle and experience more than listening.

But that's just MY taste: The members of Pink Floyd would scoff at my suggestion that "Animals" was one of their strongest albums. Roger Waters finds "Animals" uneven and David Gilmour thinks it a minor effort, as if the fact it is greatly comprised musically (with a smattering of lyrics) of bits and pieces of works originally intended for other albums/concepts (primarily "Wish...") diminishes the overall impact of the work. For me only "Dark Side" is a stronger overall effort. Nifty stuff. "Sheep" still blows me away.

SheikYerbuti, TitMan, Piggy and *gasp* Rush have kicked some a** in this thread. I didn't know anyone else in the world knew Greta. and Ragin', Full On...you are my captain.

I'm a hip hop fiend, so with that said..

Nas - Illmatic: simply put, this is the Hip Hop Bible. It is blasphemous for any fan of hip hop to not have listened to this album at least several times through. It is a masterpiece. Reading the lyrics to this album alone would put most poets to shame (as long as one can understand some 'hood slang' lol). I've never heard more vivid, creative, descriptive, captivating stories and imagery in any other music in my life. Plus the craziest part of it all, it was all written when Nas was still 19/20 B) ...

I agree it's an excellent album but a bit worshipped to much. I prefer ...I Am and Nastradamus.

Hip Hop/Rap: Digital Underground - Sex Packets, Too $hort - Born to Mack, Dr. Dre - The Chronic, Eminem - The Slim Shady LP, DMX - Flesh of My Flesh.., Notorious B.I.G. - Ready to Die.

As far as rock goes, too tough to narrow down - SO MANY genres. I'm a fan of Metal, Classic, Nu, Alternative, Post-Grunge, even Glam...Queensryche's Operation Mindcrime for example is awesome IMO.

Quicksand- Slip: Then again, as much I love Fugazi, I'm not sure if any of their albums are quite as good as Slip. Great listen if you're into the early 90s grunge and post-hardcore sounds.

Around 1992 we went to see Helmet somewhere in Philadelphia. It was on the Meantime tour. Quicksand was the opening act. We'd never heard of them. They opened their set with Fazer. By the first chorus we were transfixed with mouths agape.

i'm at a point in my life where i could really use some inspiration.... so can anyone recommend some inspirational albums? maybe something along the lines of kanyes graduation? not necessarily hip hop, but just anything inspirational....

i'm at a point in my life where i could really use some inspiration.... so can anyone recommend some inspirational albums? maybe something along the lines of kanyes graduation? not necessarily hip hop, but just anything inspirational....

Not inspirational per se but when I need a pick up I spin Sly and the Family Stone's Greatest Hits.

Not usually one for compilations but this is an exception.

"I Wanna Take You Higher"

Kansas' Leftoverture also has a lot of positive tunes ("Carry On My Wayward Son", "The Wall", "Questions of my Childhood" and

) but besides being too dated a sound for those who didn't grow up on it the genre itself may not be palatable to you. (The link under "Miracles Out of Nowhere" takes you to a Youtube page that has all the songs I listed above in the right menu window, and a badass tune from "Point of Know Return" "Portrait (He Knew)" and others as well. You can preview them. I linked "Miracles" because if you can groove on that tune you should like the rest.)

Also really enjoy Smashmouth's "Fush You Mang" (recorded before they became the darlings of Radio Disney), En Vogue's "Funky Divas" and The Beatles "Let It Be" when I'm down.

Around 1992 we went to see Helmet somewhere in Philadelphia. It was on the Meantime tour. Quicksand was the opening act. We'd never heard of them. They opened their set with Fazer. By the first chorus we were transfixed with mouths agape.

You don't hear Tool in their music, Sheik? Way too much of a lifted dynamic for me. I'm all for borrowed or "inspired" sounds but not when it's like painting by numbers.

Saw them (Quicksand) tour with Seaweed back in '93. Talk about a great show!

Here's a smattering of my favorite albums ever, in no particular order. If you don't know them, you should really check them out:

Seaweed - Four

Jawbreaker - 24 Hour Revenge Therapy

Jawbox - For Your Own Special Sweetheart

Sloan - One Chord to Another

The Wrens - Seacaucus

Van Morrison - Astral Weeks

Fugazi - In On the Kill Taker

Sonic Youth - Daydream Nation

Shellac - In Action Park

Rolling Stones - Sticky Fingers

Big Star - #1 Record

Reigning Sound - Break Up Break Down

Otis Redding - Complete and Unbelievable: The Otis Redding Dictionary of Soul

Nico - Chelsea Girl

Velvet Underground - The Velvet Undergound & Nico

Bowie - Hunky Dory

Neil Young - On the Beach

The Kinks - Lola vs. The Powerman & The Money Go-Round, Pt. 1

John Prine - John Prine

Flying Burrito Brothers -

Gene Clark - White Light

John Phillips - John, the Wolf King of L.A.

The Jam - In the City

The Clash - Sandanista!

Flaming Lips - The Soft Bulletin

Donovan - A Gift from a Flower to a Garden

Deerhunter - Microcastle

Grizzly Bear - Veckatimest

Animal Collective - Merriweather Post Pavilion

Bob Dylan - Blood on the Tracks

Beach Boys - Pet Sounds

The Band - Music from Big Pink

Can - Ege Bamyasi

Faust - Faust IV

Brian Jonestown Massacre - Strung Out in Heaven

The Starlite Desperation - Go Kill Mice

Loudon Wainwright III - Attempted Mustache

The Zombies - Odyssey & Oracle

Beachwood Sparks - Once We Were Trees

The Feelies - Crazy Rhythms

Television - Marquee Moon

The Byrds - Sweetheart of the Rodeo

The Congos - Heart of the Congos

Talking Heads - More Songs About Buildings and Food

XTC - Drums and Wires

13th Floor Elevators - The Psychedelic Sounds of the 13th Floor Elevators

Wire - Pink Flag

The Constantines - Tournament of Hearts

Gun Club - Fire of Love

Olivia Tremor Control - Black Foliage: Animation Music Volume One

Neutral Milk Hotel - In the Aeroplane Over the Sea

Unwound - Leaves Turn Inside You

Tim Buckley - Happy Sad

Tall Dwarfs - Fork Songs

Swell Maps - A Trip to Marineville

T. Rex - The Slider

The Stone Roses - The Stone Roses

Robyn Hitchcock - I Often Dream of Trains

Exploding Hearts - Guitar Romantic

Gang of Four - Entertainment

The Jesus and Mary Chain - Darklands

Hardly obscure, but I'll still provide comments

Greta- No Biting - Forced by the label to give a slightlier dirtier edge to their music during the grunge era Greta debuted with "No Biting", the best of the shortlived band's 2 album discography

ELP- Welcome Back My Friends To The Show That Never Ends....Ladies And Gentlemen, Emerson Lake And Palmer - Many feel the band is monolithic and ponderous. I love the fact that of all the bands that tried to mix rock and classical music they actually pulled it off brilliantly. Occasionally. Math Rock years before Tool and Meshuggah, synthesizer solos so anarchic that you'll shake your head, Carl Palmer setting the stage for roto-tom artists like Neal Peart, Greg Lake's soulful whiteness and deft musicianship- This album features the best of the band: Live, 3 guys. Insane.

Sex Pistols- Never Mind the Bollocks, Here's the Sex Pistols

The Tubes- The Tubes

Alice Cooper Band- Love It To Death; Killer; Billion Dollar Babies - Alice when he still cared about breaking taboos and making music with a little heart to it (and when he was still Vincent Furnier for an album). Second Coming/Ballad of Dwight Fry is still a treasure after 40 years.

Elton John- Tumbleweed Connection Could have picked any of his early works, but some of the songs on here, man: Burn Down The Mission; My Father's Gun; my all time fave EJ song,

Black Sabbath- Master of Reality This is the album where Tony Iommi tuned down and turned on. Besides the obvious influences on legions of death metal bands 20 years later the Chili Peppers turned "Sweet Leaf" into "Give It Away".

The Tubes? What a blast from the past to see Fee Waybill and the boys mentioned in this thread. Great choice.

I'll add The Clash - London Calling as an obvious choice and what I think is a rather obscure choice David & David - Welcome to the Boomtown. Here's a Wiki article about it: David & David They were classified as one hit wonders, but the entire CD is rock solid imo.

Led Zeppelin- Physical Graffiti

my favorite album to listen to on a friday leaving work...just jams and my fav zepp album

My list should be much longer, but for some reason, the only albums springing into mind are:

Talking Heads - Stop Making Sense

Phish - A Live One

Depeche Mode - Violator

If I haven't proven that I have an eclectic taste in music, let me add in the following:

Radiohead - Kid A

Massive Attack - Blue Lines

Pet Shop Boys - Very

Ween - Pure Guava

The Beta Band - Hot Shots! Part II

Talking Heads - Remain in Light

...and my vote for best compilation album goes to Squeeze's Singles - 45's and Under

loving some of the hip hop picks above tho, like Black Milk - Tronic, Foreign Exhange - Connected, Kid Cudi - Man On The Moon (not really hip hop i guess).

I think I mentioned this another thread but Detroit is probably my favorite scene in the genre right now. Tronic, Elzhi's Preface, Finale's A Pipe Dream and a Promise, Obie Trice's Special Reserve, just a good deal of quality music coming from there.

Must have been a hell of a show and it's great to see another Helmet fan around.

I'm hoping that Schreifels & co. deliver a new Rival Schools record this year.