Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2ndCitySox

Epic Albums Thread

I think I mentioned this another thread but Detroit is probably my favorite scene in the genre right now. Tronic, Elzhi's Preface, Finale's A Pipe Dream and a Promise, Obie Trice's Special Reserve, just a good deal of quality music coming from there.

Definitely. Although I think it was 2008 when they had the bulk of that material come out, but haven't heard much from Elzhi or Black Milk since. But yeah in 08, I was giddy with them taking over the rap game. Haven't heard of Finale, guess I should look into him too. but don't forget Royce. Royce is an absolute monster at times, although was disappointed with his recent album. His mixtapes are where he shines.

continuing my hip hop albums list...

More Recent Fav Albums

Blu & Exile - Below The Heavens (probs my favourite hip hop album over the last half of the decade)

Q-Tip - The Renaissance (another RARE classic from the 2nd half of this decade..not one weak track)

Fashawn & Exile - Boy Meets World (exile laces another near flawless produced album, and fashawn delivers great lyrics; if you liked below the heavens you'll also like this)

Ghostface - Fishscale (amazing production as always on a ghost album, very soulful..ghost never disappoints)

Black Milk - Tronic (probably thee best in the game in terms of producer/rapper...lyrically he improved a lot from first album, production wise he's one of my favourites, rarely a bad beat)

Elzhi - The Preface (the king of multi-syllable rhyme scheems the guy just makes you shake your head and wear out the rewind button)

Common - Be (another rare classic in the last 5 years, some of the most brilliant kanye beats he's ever made...and common is a mastermind lyrically)

Kanye West - all 3 of his albums (the first 2 are superior lyrically, the last one is a production masterpiece, w/ inferior lyrics...kanye is ALWAYS worth the listen if solely for the fact that musically and production wise, he's a genius)

Little Brother - The Listening...The Menstrel Show (probs made the best two albums from a duo this decade, very chill beats from 9th, and great witty lyrics from phonte and big pooh)

The Game - The Documentary (the production on this album alone is worth the listen...and game delivers some hard, decent lyrics)

Jay-Z + Coldplay - Viva La Hov (pretty nice blend here, one of my favourites...also like Dangermouse's blend with Jay-Z and the Beatles)

Lupe Fiasco - Food and Liquor (amazing debut album; musically brilliant and lyrically he's a beast)

also any Jedi Mind Tricks album, any MF Doom (or any of his many aliases) album, any Sean Price album, and any Cunninlynguists album are all, if not good, great. many more albums i didn't include, but this post is already too long..

I agree it's an excellent album but a bit worshipped to much. I prefer ...I Am and Nastradamus.

really eh...i've never met someone in real life or online, that preferred Nastradamus over Illmatic...or even I Am really. interesting.

In Keeping Secrets of Silent Earth:3 by Coheed & Cambria

Beginning to end it's an amazing adventure.

All of their albums truthfully. They are all epic.

You don't hear Tool in their music, Sheik? Way too much of a lifted dynamic for me. I'm all for borrowed or "inspired" sounds but not when it's like painting by numbers.

To my ear it's not as overt, and I think both Helmet and Quicksand pre-date Tool's most important works. Meantime and Slip both came out between 90 and 92. Undertow was 1993.

I think the accusations of both Helmet and Quicksand piggybacking Fugazi's sound are more plausible.

To my ear it's not as overt, and I think both Helmet and Quicksand pre-date Tool's most important works. Meantime and Slip both came out between 90 and 92. Undertow was 1993.

I think the accusations of both Helmet and Quicksand piggybacking Fugazi's sound are more plausible.

Yeah, I don't get the Tool comparisons with Quicksand either, TitaniumMan. Like Shiek said, 80s hardcore bands (Gorilla Biscuits, Youth of Today, Black Flag, 7 Seconds, Minor Threat, etc.) and D.C. angular rock bands like Fugazi are much more likely sources of inspirations for Quicksand. Come to think of it, the lead singer/guitarist and guitarist of Quicksand were IN Gorilla Biscuits and Youth of Today, so they came from that aesthetic and thus were much less likely to be influinced by a band like Tool.

Not to mention Tool's first album came out THE SAME YEAR Quicksand's first.

Yeah, I don't get the Tool comparisons with Quicksand either, TitaniumMan. Like Shiek said, 80s hardcore bands (Gorilla Biscuits, Youth of Today, Black Flag, 7 Seconds, Minor Threat, etc.) and D.C. angular rock bands like Fugazi are much more likely sources of inspirations for Quicksand. Come to think of it, the lead singer/guitarist and guitarist of Quicksand were IN Gorilla Biscuits and Youth of Today, so they came from that aesthetic and thus were much less likely to be influinced by a band like Tool.

Not to mention Tool's first album came out THE SAME YEAR Quicksand's first.

You gents have done an awesome job charting the roots of "post-hardcore" (I still hate that term) from it's post-punk predecessors. (DAMN- Dropping the term "Angular Rock" on me. You f*cking beast! B) )

Helmet and Tool both used the "chunka-thunka" guitar and double bass thunder common of the sound.

Helmet hit the public eye way before Tool. I don't think of their sound being as approximate to Tool as Quicksand's is.

Helmet established songs similarly to Rage, Pantera and Tool. From there: Helmet often proceeded in a way that reflected the more melodically ambitious Black Sabbath works; Rage rapped, segued into jazz-rock flourishes and played in syncopated beats; Pantera growled and shredded; and Tool explored alternate tunings, Dorian scales and syncopation.

You guys are right: Having heard Opiate (through my friend I called "Youngman Grand"- RIP <3) I got into "Undertow" right when it first came out. Didn't realize Quicksand got "Slip" to market first.

However, here's

, 1991, though not earliest. You cats know your history so you have to know how long Tool kicked around the LA scene picking up talent and influences like lint. But at the same time they were sharing their sound. (All those LA Bands were incestuous. Brad Wilk was plucked from Greta and saved from obscurity by Tom Morello and of course Rage and Tool appeared on each other's albums along with Rollins, whose Black Flag you already referenced.)

Blown away that you included 7 Seconds, Whiskey. Phenomenal. Seen them so many times over the years. The mad man lives in Sac, you know.

EDIT: FTR: Tool's "Opiate" was released before any of Quicksand's discs, though not widely marketed until after they had made it big.

However, here's
, 1991, though not earliest. You cats know your history so you have to know how long Tool kicked around the LA scene picking up talent and influences like lint. But at the same time they were sharing their sound. (All those LA Bands were incestuous. Brad Wilk was plucked from Greta and saved from obscurity by Tom Morello and of course Rage and Tool appeared on each other's albums along with Rollins, whose Black Flag you already referenced.)

Ah, yeah...you are right about that and the fact they were pretty prevalent in the undreground scene prior to releasing anything, there's a good liklihood of Quicksand having heard and digested some of their stuff prior to recording/releasing their early stuff. Though, I am still kinda of the mind that they are more contemporaries than one coming after the other, with Tool probably being similarly influenced by the same hardcore bands (though probably a bit more by industrial and metal than Quicksand ever was).

As for 7 Seconds...he's in Sactown, eh? I guess that makes sense, though, since they were from Reno, which isn't too far away. Wait...weren't the brothers actually born in Sacramento?

Anyways, yes...I was once way into all of that stuff, heh heh.

Two albums on the pop side of the spectrum, but both have VERY few weak spots. Pretty much great from cover to cover:

Alanis Morissette - Jagged Little Pill

Barenaked Ladies - Stunt

how bout 50 cents get rich or dye tryin? hes fallen off quite a bit since then, but that album was pretty badass.

Either/Or and XO both by Elliott Smith. such great albums

one of my personal favorites, NIN - the fragile

The Tubes? What a blast from the past to see Fee Waybill and the boys mentioned in this thread. Great choice.

I'll add The Clash - London Calling as an obvious choice and what I think is a rather obscure choice David & David - Welcome to the Boomtown. Here's a Wiki article about it: David & David They were classified as one hit wonders, but the entire CD is rock solid imo.

Wow- How'd I miss this post from Wayne.

The Tubes were so underrated. Sad about Vince Welnick. Looked like he was seeking something that wasn't really there. While I am a man whose philosophy in many ways similar to the one the band "embodies", I feel "The Grateful Dead" was a monolithic mass of hypocritical hot hippie zeitgeist gas. Any trail they legitimately blazed in counterculture and modern music they willingly left by the road in the early '80s. Hell, by the end of the road (pun intended for those in the know) the old guard Deadheads were getting thrashed by the new guard and were the Dead addressing their community as leaders should? Yeah, right. Pull the other one.

Like a lot of people into the Nor-Cal scene in the 70s and 80s I got to my fair share of Tubes shindigs. The energy of punk without the bruises, most of the time.

"London Calling" is a seminal album. The Clash were organized chaos. I'm still amazed by the musical and cultural references they melded. Great stuff.

Tool-Aenima

The best album of the last 30+ years.

The best album of the last 30+ years.

I'd say it's probably my 2nd favorite album ever after Pretty Hate Machine. I miss the days when Tool albums had more than 5 tracks with words on them. And I wish they didn't make you wait 5 years between them lol.

I'd say it's probably my 2nd favorite album ever after Pretty Hate Machine. I miss the days when Tool albums had more than 5 tracks with words on them. And I wish they didn't make you wait 5 years between them lol.

I agree. I guess Maynard is using his lyrics on other projects. Also, it's flat out amazing that he came up with all the marvelous front or melody lines to the rhythms and progressions they employ at all. Maybe he ran out. B)

I forgot, tho, as far as albums "Temple of the Dog" is right there with Aenima.

"London Calling" is a seminal album. The Clash were organized chaos. I'm still amazed by the musical and cultural references they melded. Great stuff.

Funny, I just relistened to London Calling a few weeks ago for the first time in years. It sounded kinda tame to me. I don't think it's aging well. Kind of like when you hear "Paint it Black" in the grocery store (which I have). What was once badass is now more like shopping music. The title track still packs a punch, but the rest just doesn't kick the copious amount of a** it did when it was released. Now "Never Mind the Bollocks". . .still a giant shot to the crotch.

Funny, I just relistened to London Calling a few weeks ago for the first time in years. It sounded kinda tame to me. I don't think it's aging well. Kind of like when you hear "Paint it Black" in the grocery store (which I have). What was once badass is now more like shopping music.

"I'm all lost in the supermarket. I can no longer shop happily..."

I've always been a Sandinista fan, myself, though I still think London Calling is an amazing album. Perhaps you've just listened to it to much, like me.

the marshall mathers lp - eminem

the slim shady lp - eminem

man on the moon: the end of day - kid cudi

graduation - kanye west

808s and heartbreak - kanye

the documentary - the game

doggystyle - snoop

third eye blind - third eye blind

stadium arcadium - red hot chili peppers

all the rocky soundtracks - bill conti

When that cd first came out I didn't like it much but over the last week it's grow on me for some reason...

Not really sure what I was thinking it's a pretty good album.

Also for the rap fans the new Ludacris battle of the sexes is a pretty good one also.

the cult-love

the black crowes-the southern harmony and musical companion

social distortion-social distortion

screaming trees-sweet oblivion

lenny kravitz-mama said

kings x-gretchen goes to nebraska

buddy guy-damn right i got the blues

smashing pumpkins-siamese dream

black rebel motorcycle club-b.r.m.c.

todd snider-viva satellite

soungarden-badmotorfinger

to name a few...

Dr. Dre - Chronic 2001

Metallica - The Black Album

Green Day - Dookie

Nirvana - Nevermind

Tupac Shakur - All Eyes On Me

Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon

Guns n Roses - Use Your Illusions II

The Beatles - The White Album

Eminem - The Slim Shady LP

Queen - A Night At The Opera

The Doors - LA Woman

Biggie Smalls - Ready to Die

Rage Against the Machine - Evil Empire

Pearl Jam - Ten

The Fugees - The Score

DMX - It's Dark and Hell is Hot

Red Hot Chilli Peppers - Blood Sugar Sex Magic

Led Zeppelin - II

The Clash - London Calling

Funny, I just relistened to London Calling a few weeks ago for the first time in years. It sounded kinda tame to me. I don't think it's aging well. Kind of like when you hear "Paint it Black" in the grocery store (which I have). What was once badass is now more like shopping music. The title track still packs a punch, but the rest just doesn't kick the copious amount of a** it did when it was released. Now "Never Mind the Bollocks". . .still a giant shot to the crotch.

I saw the Joe Strummer documentary- "The Future is Unwritten" recently and as a result I revisited my Clash collection.

I still enjoyed "London Calling" :shrug: I think you have to remember that it was released 30 years ago(wow!). I know I've changed in that amount of time, so maybe my perspectives on what is shocking and cutting edge have changed as well.

The Pistols were always (imo) more about the shock and their look, The Clash were always more about the music.

Nobody has mentioned Pink Floyd's The Wall yet...wow. I've thought of a few more of my favorites.

Sublime-40 Oz. To Freedom

In Flames-Reroute to Remain

Nine Inch Nails-The Downward Spiral

Nofx-Punk In Drublic

Bad Religion-Recipe for Hate, The Grey Race

Slayer-Season in the Abyss

Pink Floyd's The Wall is my favorite album of all-time, but it seems most people like Dark Side of the Moon better. I love every thing they have done since Dark Side of the Moon.

Here are some other albums off the top of my head:

The Beatles-White Album

Led Zeppelin-All of their albums are great

The Rolling Stones-Let It Bleed, Sticky Fingers(Can't You Hear Me Knocking is my favorite Stones song), Some Girls, Get Yer Ya-Yas Out! The Rolling Stones in Concert(very good live album, especially its version of Midnight Rambler), just to name a few.

Jimi Hendrix-Are You Experienced, Electric Ladyland

Bob Marley-Legend(every song on this album is great)

The Who-most of their albums are great.

AC/DC-Back In Black, T.N.T.(It's A Long Way To The Top (If You Wanna Rock 'n' Roll) is my favorite song by them), Highway to Hell(awesome), The Razors Edge.

Neil Young-Just about everything he does is amazing.

Black Sabbath-Black Sabbath, Paranoid(both albums are incredible)

Metallica-Kill 'Em All, Ride the Lightning(Fade to Black is my favorite song of theirs), Master of Puppets, And Justice for All(amazing album), Metallica(also known as The Black Album)

Rage Against the Machine-Every album is great

Cream-Disraeli Gears, Wheels of Fire

Lynyrd Skynyrd-All of their albums before the plane crash in '77 are great, especially the live album One More From the Road.

That's all for now, but there are so many I could probably go on all day. B)