Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Shamrocks

Matt Moore SP TB

as far as deep league pitching prospects go, this guy seems pretty good. cut down on the walks towards the end of the year and strikes out a ton of people; still a few years away but how do you guys rate him against some of the other HS arms in recent years (wheeler, shelby miller, turner) and versus guys like mike montgomery from KC, teheran from ATL

as far as deep league pitching prospects go, this guy seems pretty good. cut down on the walks towards the end of the year and strikes out a ton of people; still a few years away but how do you guys rate him against some of the other HS arms in recent years (wheeler, shelby miller, turner) and versus guys like mike montgomery from KC, teheran from ATL

Right now I would take Matt Moore over all of those names personally. With the right names graduating off the prospect list this year if Matt Moore can put together another solid campaign at the A+/AA levels he could easily catapault himself into the elite pitching prospect status. He has a K/9 of 12.9 (roughly this is off the top of my head?) in his minor league career. Which screams nasty to me, as he K's nearly half of his outs.

What's the skinny on this kid? Huge K numbers the past year or two. Clearly has a lot of depth in front of him with the Rays already having a solid rotation and Hellboy ahead of him. Talk of him being turned into a closer? Any idea on his ETA?

http://projectprospect.com/article/2010/03...scouting-report

Anything someone could add to this would be appriciated.

another gem tonight. 6 IP, 4 H, 2 BB, 13 K's. Is anyone noticing this kid?

I have been watching his stats all year. His ERA has continued to drop throughout the year after a rough start and he keeps putting up impressive strikeout totals. Will be interesting to see how well he can close out the year.

This guy is a 'swing & miss" beast! Ray's have such a nice farm, good for them.

I knew he'd been ridiculous as of late, but never really noticed HOW ridiculous. This is since May 28th and encompasses 14 starts.

85.1 innings, 124 K, 22 BB, 2.32 ERA, 0.90 WHIP. Thats a 13.1 K/9. He's been striking out 35% of the batters he's faced this year, thats insane.

I knew he'd been ridiculous as of late, but never really noticed HOW ridiculous. This is since May 28th and encompasses 14 starts.

85.1 innings, 124 K, 22 BB, 2.32 ERA, 0.90 WHIP. Thats a 13.1 K/9. He's been striking out 35% of the batters he's faced this year, thats insane.

He's been striking out that many throughout his entire minor league career, somehow.

Why didn't he get moved up this whole year???

Christian Friedrich anybody?

Because he plays for the Rays.... This is their M.O. He'll be at AA all next year, with perhaps a taste of AAA towards the end, but definitely no MLB. (If for no other reason, than because they have about 10 starters in-line ahead of him). It's actually the best thing that can happen to this kid. The major knock on him is his control rate, and the more seasoning he gets in the minors, the more mature he will be when he actually makes it to the big leagues. The Rays have the advantage of not needing to rush him at all, and can really invest in the kid. Its obvious he's had struggles starting out the year, but seems to really understand how to correct his mistakes midway through the year. If in three years he can understand how to start out the year as good as he finishes them, you're looking at a front of the rotation starter here.

I'm gonna take the risk and grab him. The 2nd hald splits are dirty-

1.39ERA, 84IP, 130K, 24BB, but I'm still terrified he is going to follow in Friedrich's footsteps...

May 15, 2010 09:23 PM'

Ok damn it I can't stand it ... I saw a name mentioned a month or so ago I hadn't covered but here's one more bog comment for all you pitching junkies - you know that very short *elite* list I keep? Matt Moore is on it. If you are in a dynasty, get him!

Note the date. My position remains unchanged B)

Note the date. My position remains unchanged B)

I just got 'em! Very excited. Love all of this package out of a lefty. Power arm, curve. Do you think the command is an issue?

Reading all of this makes me want to stash him in my AL-Only league until he arrives. Tough spot too choosing between him and Turner

curious what you guys think of him

is he as good a prospect as hellickson?

curious what you guys think of him

is he as good a prospect as hellickson?

K's will be higher, but so will the walks. He is off to his tipical slow start. He will need a full year at AA and then AAA next year.

So far, 3IP,1H,1ER,2BB,8K

Kids nasty, I hope he gets traded though. A crowded rotation+AL East =Bad Situation!

My opinion is actually a little different from the previous two posters (who think that he's off to a slow start and hopefully gets traded eventually). He really has only had 1 bad outing this year (giving up 10 hits and 6 ER in 4.1 innings). You really HAVE to look at his peripherals though, because they are awesome. His ERA might be 4.60 but his FIP is 3.88 and I have a feeling his xFIP (fangraphs doesn't list it) is probably even lower. His WHIP is really low at 1.09, and his K/BB ratio is a nasty 41/6 over 29.1 IP. Oh, and did I mention that this is his first year in AA. The fact that he's a power lefty with an awesome curveball is a great combination for success. The kid has mad skills and is so young that he's only going to get better.

As far as getting traded... pitching in the AL East is difficult, sure. But look at all the elite pitchers (Lester, Sabathia, etc.) who have had a ton of success. Moore's ceiling is right up there with these guys IMO. Plus he'll have the cozy confines of the pitcher-friendly Tropicana Field as his home park where he'll get to pitch half his games. All in all, it looks to me like this kid's a star in the making.

Through eight starts at AA-Montgomery:

2-3, 3.54 ERA, 40.2 IP, 56K, 11BB, 31H

(good for a 1.05 WHIP, 12.5 K/9, 2.5 BB/9, 5.1 K/BB)

Some fun with numbers (kinda cheating, but whatever). Take away his one disastrous start on April 13, and you get:

2.49 ERA, 0.88 WHIP, 12.7 K/9, 2.7 BB/9, 4.6 K/BB.

He has cut his walk rate down from 3.8 BB/9 last year to 2.5 this year while maintaining an elite strikeout rate (12.9 K/9 last year, 12.5 this year). That alone is reason for excitement. WHIP and ERA are solid. Teams are barely hitting above .200 against him.

I won't pretend to know what the Rays' plan for him is, but the pre-2011 season consensus was that he's a late-2012 call-up, and and in the rotation in 2013 (compare to Hellickson's 2010 and 2011). In light of his success thus far, maybe this timetable gets moved up - a promotion to AAA does seem likely for this summer, at least.

Through eight starts at AA-Montgomery:

2-3, 3.54 ERA, 40.2 IP, 56K, 11BB, 31H

(good for a 1.05 WHIP, 12.5 K/9, 2.5 BB/9, 5.1 K/BB)

Some fun with numbers (kinda cheating, but whatever). Take away his one disastrous start on April 13, and you get:

2.49 ERA, 0.88 WHIP, 12.7 K/9, 2.7 BB/9, 4.6 K/BB.

He has cut his walk rate down from 3.8 BB/9 last year to 2.5 this year while maintaining an elite strikeout rate (12.9 K/9 last year, 12.5 this year). That alone is reason for excitement. WHIP and ERA are solid. Teams are barely hitting above .200 against him.

I won't pretend to know what the Rays' plan for him is, but the pre-2011 season consensus was that he's a late-2012 call-up, and and in the rotation in 2013 (compare to Hellickson's 2010 and 2011). In light of his success thus far, maybe this timetable gets moved up - a promotion to AAA does seem likely for this summer, at least.

The Rays handle pitchers alot different than other teams. Wade Davis and Hellickson both spent whole years at every level, and i would guess this will be the plan for Moore as well.

The Rays handle pitchers alot different than other teams. Wade Davis and Hellickson both spent whole years at every level, and i would guess this will be the plan for Moore as well.

I agree. The Rays are going to have one hell of a pitching staff in a couple years!

I agree. The Rays are going to have one hell of a pitching staff in a couple years!

Niemann bombed out which may help them in the long run. Price/Hellickson/Moore/Archer/Davis will be a tough chore