Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Humuhumunukunukuapua'a

2010 2B Rankings

29 posts in this topic

More general rankings!

Utley

-----

Kinsler

-----

Phillips (I'm a fan of his consistency from year to year)

Pedroia

Cano * (still pondering this, he was great last year. But, before 2009, he's seemed to have such awful starts to the season. Might move him up)

------

Roberts

Hill

------

Zobrist

Lopez (underrated)

Uggla (30 hr at 2b is nice, especially if you have Figgins at 3b)

Asdrubal (more value at SS probably)

-------

Weeks

Kendrick

(last year for either guy for me to care)

-------

O-Hud

Polanco (sentimental old guy pick)

Kelly Johnson (sleeper potential late)

gordon beckham is absent and he is probably in the Cano tier

Also I think kinsler is in the same tier as utley, but it's splitting hairs.

More rankings, 5x5 for mine...12 team so depth isn't terribly deep on my tiers.

Utley

-----

Kinsler

-----

Phillips (I'm a fan of his consistency from year to year)

Pedroia

Cano * (still pondering this, he was great last year. But, before 2009, he's seemed to have such awful starts to the season. Might move him up)

------

Roberts

Hill

------

Zobrist

Lopez (underrated)

Uggla (30 hr at 2b is nice, especially if you have Figgins at 3b)

Asdrubal (more value at SS probably)

-------

Weeks

Kendrick

(last year for either guy for me to care)

-------

O-Hud

Polanco (sentimental old guy pick)

Kelly Johnson (sleeper potential late)

Good catch. I have Beckham as a keeper so forget him when I created my tiers.

Yeah...it's pretty close with Kinsler and Utley...but I want to see another year, hopefully a healthy one, out of kinsler first.

Also, I think it's excellent you named your team after your 4th OF B)

Have to agree on Phillips. I think he is at least a Top 4 2B.

I drafted him in the 3rd (3 player keeper as well) and on some other boards I have been getting flack about the fact he is a BIG risk. I just don't see it.

2009 - 584 AB's, .276, 20 HR's, 25 SB's, 78 Runs, 98 RBI's

2008 - 559 AB's, .262, 21 HR's, 23 SB's, 80 Runs, 78 RBI's

2007 - 650 AB's, .287, 30 HR's, 32 SB's, 107 Runs, 94 RBI's

2006 - 536 AB's, .276, 17 HR's, 25 SB's, 65 Runs, 75 RBI's.

That's four seasons of pretty consistent #'s. Obviously 2007 is a bit out of the ordinary, but I think most would say that was just a luck filled year where he was able to hit .287 and get 650 AB's. With him hitting in the 3 hole in that lineup, I see a line that looks like this (barring him staying healthy)

2010 - 590 AB's, .274, 24 HR's, 25 SB's, 85 Runs, 105 RBI's.

That has to be #3 2B type numbers, correct?

---------------

God I Hate the Phils, but Utley is a Beast!

---------------

1. Chase Utley: Prolly the best overall skill set at 2B and he finally isn't coming off of off-season surgery. I think a career year is in the offing.

---------------

Not That Much Difference Compared to Utley.

---------------

2. Dustin Pedroia: Has actually outscored Utley in my fantasy points league the last 2 years. Still it'd be nice if he could turn more of those doubles into HRs.

3. Ian Kinsler: If he never had injury issues, he'd be neck and neck with Utley. Still the 30/30 potential is very nice and he tends to only miss a month not entire years.

---------------

Top 10 Locks, But Not Top 3

---------------

4. Robinson Cano: So much natural talent, but still an underachiever in my book. If he could ever learn the strike zone he'd finally move out of the bottom of the line-up.

5. Brandon Phillips: After Utley and Pedroia, he's the safest 2B to own. He's a set it and forget it player who you just leave in your line-up all year and never worry about.

6. Gordon Beckham: Pitchers are going to adjust to him this year, how quickly does he readjust. After the top 5 are gone I'd gladly take him, but would still worry about a slight sophomore slump.

---------------

Gambles I Won't Take.

---------------

7. Ben Zobrist: Can he adjust to the new strategies that will be employed against him. As high as he is going, I'd let someone else take a chance on him.

8. Aaron Hill: I actually do like him, but he'll go too early for my liking, so I won't own him this year. Besides at best a slight regression has to be expected.

9. Brian Roberts: I have owned him many a year, but age and injuries may be catching up to him. So long B-Rob, thanks for the memories!

10. Jose Lopez: I seriously don't know what to make of him. His batting averages are all over the place, He hit way more HRs than his skill set should indicate. I'd just let someone else take on his risks.

---------------

You're My Boy Blue!

---------------

11. Ian Stewart: Here's my starting 2B or 3B on most of my teams this year. 20/15 potential and his minor league numbers suggest even more. I love the upside and if he can keep dropping his K rate, he'll be even more valuable.

12. Howie Kendrick: I definitely still have a soft spot for Kendrick. I watch him play and see a .320 swing. I still believe he's gonna give me a 20/20 year eventually.

13. Asdrubal Cabrera: Still just 24 with developing power and speed. I really like him, but I wish his supporting cast was better.

---------------

Let Someone Else take Them.

---------------

14. Dan Uggla: He should be ranked much higher, but I play in leagues that penalize K's, so this is where he lands, which is too low for me to ever draft.

15. Alberto Callaspo: If he gets a starting gig, he'll shoot up a tier or two. But I can't imagine a repeat performance as of now. Too bad, his low K rate and nice pop would be a nice option.

---------------

Solid Later Round Picks

---------------

16. Placido Polanco: I can rank him this low, b/c he is almost always disrespected, but he'll produce enough to be starter worthy atop that line-up.

17. Orlando Hudson: I would think he'll be rejuvenated this year in Minny after his bad finish in La-La land. He'll be hitting in front of 2 different MVPs, which just can't possibly hurt.

---------------

OMG I forgot to Draft a 2B, Who Has the Most Upside?

---------------

18. Martin Prado: The Braves don't just throw away left handed hitting 2B with pop for nobodies. Prado may offer less power, but he has better across the board abilities.

19. Rickie Weeks: Everyone is still waiting for the year that he finally plays a full season and wins people titles. At 27 is this finally the year?

20. Kelly Johnson: Can't really hit lefties, but in that ballpark his 20HR potential has a much better chance of being reached than in the A-T-L.

21. Scott Sizemore: His next AB in the majors will be his first, but that .308/.389/.500 minor league line last year is pretty nice looking.

Zobrist is legit. He should be higher than a 5th tier.

2B has come a long way. A few years ago the depth at this position was pathetic.

I'm adding Kelly Johnson to that "Solid Later Round Picks" group...kinda like his odds of being decent...not great, but definitely serviceable.

You may have not had Gordon Beckham on your list, because he's not 2B eligible. He only played 102 games at 3B last year, 0 at 2B. He'll pick up that eligibility fairly early in the season in most leagues, but you can't put him there from the get go.

You may have not had Gordon Beckham on your list, because he's not 2B eligible. He only played 102 games at 3B last year, 0 at 2B. He'll pick up that eligibility fairly early in the season in most leagues, but you can't put him there from the get go.

I'll have to disagree. Most owners should know that his best value lies at 2nd base, not 3rd. He'll gain 2nd base eligibility within the first 5 games of the season. He's a borderline stud as a 2nd baseman and should be ranked that way...

He's starting at 2B for the white sox so will have 2B eligibility in the first week in most leagues.

Here's how I rank them in re-draft leagues.

Chase Utley

----------------------------

Ian Kinsler

Dustin Pedroia

Brandon Phillips

Robinson Cano

Brian Roberts

Gordon Beckham

Ben Zobrist

Aaron Hill

Dan Uggla

Howie Kendrick

Jose Lopez

Asdrubal Cabrera

Rickie Weeks

Ian Stewart

That's it. After those 15 you are screwed if you have to start anybody else. You can keep telling yourself you're perfectly fine with starting Polanco, Barmes, or Prado as your 2B, and I'll watch as you fish in desperation for a sleeper 2B to emerge during the season. And odds are, one will, but you would be better served to have that player as a bench stashee.

Here's how I rank them in re-draft leagues.

Chase Utley

Ian Kinsler

Dustin Pedroia

Brandon Phillips

Robinson Cano

Brian Roberts

Gordon Beckham

Ben Zobrist

Aaron Hill

Dan Uggla

Howie Kendrick

Jose Lopez

Asdrubal Cabrera

Rickie Weeks

Ian Stewart

That's it. After those 15 you are screwed if you have to start anybody else. You can keep telling yourself you're perfectly fine with starting Polanco, Barmes, or Prado as your 2B, and I'll watch as you fish in desperation for a sleeper 2B to emerge during the season. And odds are, one will, but you would be better served to have that player as a bench stashee.

I think you are the first poster in all the land to be so down on I.Stewart.

No comment. Just an observation.

Second thoughts, my comment would be...hmm?

I think you are the first poster in all the land to be so down on I.Stewart.

No comment. Just an observation.

Second thoughts, my comment would be...hmm?

I like Stewart enough to list him among the 15 "2B1's", whereas I consider every remaining 2B no better than a backup. But he is in that final risk/reward tier. Weeks' risk is his health (played in 100+ games only twice in five seasons), Stewart's risk is his playing time (Mora will push him for at-bats especially if he struggles early), and both are risks to AVG since they strike out a lot.

If you prefer to rank Stewart higher be my guest, but personally I wouldn't want to hinge my hopes on that sixth tier of 2B for a whole season unless it's a deep league.

I like Stewart enough to list him among the 15 "2B1's", whereas I consider every remaining 2B no better than a backup. But he is in that final risk/reward tier. Weeks' risk is his health (played in 100+ games only twice in five seasons), Stewart's risk is his playing time (Mora will push him for at-bats especially if he struggles early), and both are risks to AVG since they strike out a lot.

If you prefer to rank Stewart higher be my guest, but personally I wouldn't want to hinge my hopes on that sixth tier of 2B for a whole season unless it's a deep league.

Maybe I should have not used the words "so down" as 15th is not that bad considering the other 2B's you have listed ahead of him. But I would include Stewart at least in the tier with Uggla and maybe even ahead of him.

And you did say after these 15, a team owner would be hard-pressed to find a serviceable 2B. So here are my rankings:

Utley (if it were possible to put him 2 tiers above all others, I would)

Cano (line-up and stadium)

Pedroia (line-up and stadium)

Kinsler (liking the line-up, stadium and his own skill-set but health issues has him here)

Phillips (if he could get closer to .300 AVG, he jumps to #2 tier)

Zobrist (hard to argue against his OBP - plus batting 5th will give him plenty of RBI opportunities)

A.Hill (if he repeats last year's effort, then he jumps to next tier for next year's rankings)

Beckham (more or less on projections than actual results)

Roberts (herniated disks scare me even when it is not in my back - and I am still hesitant to rank him here)

Kendrick (I expect a huge rebound after his demotion last year)

I.Stewart (younger, lefty-version of Uggla but may have a higher ceiling for avg. especially at COORS.)

J.Lopez (only because of his HR's and RBI's but if those disappear then his value drops like rock)

Uggla (all HR's and no AVG. make him a one-trick pony)

Prado (I like his all-around game - 38 2B's in 450 AB's)

K.Johnson (loving the ballpark and the chance for at least 450 AB's will equal 20+ HR's)

Weeks (injury issues always a concern but did he finally get it last year before his latest injury?)

Jose Lopez is definitely a guy I look to target in a few drafts this year. His slugging percentage has increased drastically in each of the past few years, and he doesn't exactly hurt you in BA either. The fact that he's such a better hitter on the road than at home is a bit discouraging, but I see lots of value in the mid-later rounds here.

Kinda suprising that the guy is only 26 as it feels like he's been around for quite a few years!

Jose Lopez's AVG is pretty good which is why I say that if his HR and RBI rates decline, then all he has is his AVG. and that would not be reason enough to draft him so highly. But he would be serviceable as a late-round 2B pick.

Prado deserves a lot more respect than most of you are showing especially with his multiple position eligibility. But otherwise, good stuff!

Prado deserves a lot more respect than most of you are showing especially with his multiple position eligibility. But otherwise, good stuff!

Agree with this, well said.

Where would you rank him?

Utley used to be so far and away the best second baseman that I've reached for him in years past as high as number 3 overall (always way ahead of his ADP) and NEVER regretted it.

He's still the best but I agree that the margins between tiers have narrowed and there's more depth to maybe find a sleeper. Now I wonder how far he should fall as the first second baseman off the board. Anyone know his ADP this year. I haven't really started and drafts yet.

Looks like Chone Figgins could regain his 2B eligibility this year. Wakamatsu is leaning toward putting him at 2B and Lopez at 3B and has been playing this way most of the Spring. This would certainly deepen the 2B field and increase Figgy's value.

Here's the link from the Seattle Times: http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/theh...s_at_third.html

Utley used to be so far and away the best second baseman that I've reached for him in years past as high as number 3 overall (always way ahead of his ADP) and NEVER regretted it.

He's still the best but I agree that the margins between tiers have narrowed and there's more depth to maybe find a sleeper. Now I wonder how far he should fall as the first second baseman off the board. Anyone know his ADP this year. I haven't really started and drafts yet.

He's generally going 4-6 this year in re-draft.

What do people think about Zobrist vs. Hill? They both really broke out in a big way last year, and I'd like to hear people's thoughts on them.